ADVERTISEMENT

Trilly Donovan AKA Norlander said this about Lanier

If what Barnhart said about UK NIL is true, we should have the money to pay this kid close to a million, if not more.

Dillingham made $770,000
Edwards made $560,000
Wagner made $560,000
Bradshaw made $520,000
Sheppard made $420,000
Reeves made $150,000

Even with the market taking an upturn of say, 20%, going by these numbers, the same guys would made about $100,000 more each this upcoming season.

That said, I'd imagine the market for our roster looks something like this:

Carr, Williams, Brea, Garrison: $400,000-$500,000 each
Butler, Oweh, KK: $200,000-$400,000 each.
Perry, Chandler, Noah: $100,000-$200,000 each.

Even at a maximum cost, you're spending $2 million on the top four; $1.2 million on the middle three; and $600,000 on the bottom three.

That's $3.8 to $4 million right now (at maximum).

Mitch said we had around $5 million committed, and that was before the recent surge of around $700,000 from the BBN NIL fund.

That puts our salary cap at around $5.7 million (at minimum).

It doesn't even factor in the extra coach's salary money we would have had to pay Cal (he would have made $3 million more than Pope this upcoming year); or the fact that we were willing to pay Hurley $7 million more a year than Pope. Where will that extra money go? It was there before and I know it didn't suddenly disappear.

That said, I'd say a safe estimate is that we still have a minimum of $1.7 million to $2.5 million in NIL available for the remaining roster spots.

You can give Lanier $1 million of that without blinking an eye and still have around a million remaining (at minimum).
Good lord Reeves got screwed. Bradshaw and Edwards got paid to do nothing. Ugh. Anyone who felt bad that they got talked about on a message board should look at that. It’s like 5x’s more money than most make at a legitimate job to sit on the bench and suck.

Edit: then leave right away after that. College model right now sucks.

Last edited:
I didn't want to say it, but Reeves clearly got a terrible deal. That performance against K. State cost him a ton of NIL money.
Don’t forget that Brady wanted to get him a good deal and Cal didn’t get it to him. I would 100% bring that up every single time an upperclassmen wanted to go play for him. I bet he’s taking Arkansas boosters to the woodshed he’s paying dudes like Aidoo now.

Don’t forget that Brady wanted to get him a good deal and Cal didn’t get it to him. I would 100% bring that up every single time an upperclassmen wanted to go play for him. I bet he’s taking Arkansas boosters to the woodshed he’s paying dudes like Aidoo now.
Good points. He's gonna get run out of Arkansas ater 2 years and it will be one of the biggest sports falls from grace we've ever seen. Hall of fame to Hall of shame all because of EGO.

Last edited:
I saw the g league scrimmage box score today and Lanier only had 5 and poplar wasn’t great either. Combine that with what the KSR board guy said and I think both are for sure back In college, Kentucky just has to get one of them

I totally get your point but also sounds like neither one is that great against good players so kind of funny to pump them up as “must gets”.This guy scored 5 points and looked mediocre in a scrimmage we HAVE to get him so he takes us to the next level!

I totally get your point but also sounds like neither one is that great against good players so kind of funny to pump them up as “must gets”.This guy scored 5 points and looked mediocre in a scrimmage we HAVE to get him so he takes us to the next level!
It’s a skill set issue more then anything….we need at least one player that can consistently generate there own shot. It’s sorely lacking on the roster right now.

Reactions: RunninRichie
It’s a skill set issue more then anything….we need at least one player that can consistently generate there own shot. It’s sorely lacking on the roster right now.

Right but the one player we’re all clamoring to get because he can generate his own shot and offense had…..5 points in the most important scrimmage of his life.

Reactions: TankedCat
I mean they are all that’s left. Robinson laneir and poplar are our only choices unless we want to put everything into getting Will Riley to reclass

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
What did other people do in this scrimmage? 5 is only bad if other folks who played the same amount got 15. And not even then if you’re talking 5 points on 3 shots vs 15 points in 12 shots. How was he used? Let’s have some context before we marginalize Lanier in this combine.

No to mention which, I strictly care about what he’ll do in D1. Not saying it’s guaranteed, but there’s a world where Lanier is a terror in D1 and just happens to wilt in a game against a full team of strong draft prospects. In that world give me Lanier all day because icgaf about anyone’s potential in the league unless it translates directly to D1 today AND icgaf about anyone’s lack of potential in the league if for whatever reason they can light up D1.

Last edited:
we have to expect that every portal player is not NBA material
otherwise, well...they'd be in the NBA

your hope is they turn into an NBA ready player during the season

but don't confuse that with Freshmen. They are potential NBA players who are just as likely to dissappear in a tourney game as they are to be the leading scorer. A veteran is going to give you consistency, and you more often than not can count on him making his averages during a game

Last edited:
Good lord Reeves got screwed. Bradshaw and Edwards got paid to do nothing. Ugh. Anyone who felt bad that they got talked about on a message board should look at that. It’s like 5x’s more money than most make at a legitimate job to sit on the bench and suck.

Edit: then leave right away after that. College model right now sucks.

Brought to you by John Calipari. Reeves got straight up robbed.

This is not a team environment so everyone is out to make themselves look good. If Lanier passes the ball, he will not get it back so I would not put much emphasis in their performances

This is not a team environment so everyone is out to make themselves look good. If Lanier passes the ball, he will not get it back so I would not put much emphasis in their performances
Unless you are playing the 1, 2 or maybe 5 you hardly ever touch the ball

I watched about 10 minutes of that game and as soon as someone got the ball they went to score. He floated on the. Perimeter the whole 10 minutes with not even one pass thrown his way. They were running 0 offense. I honestly don’t even understand what teams get from watching these scrimmages.

Reactions: dl51344
This so outta control. A lot of Kentuckians won't make $1M in 15 years.
This whole damn system is broken. It's headed to contracts for these players and a union presence.
We have a mess on our hands.
It’s going to be a minor NBA league. Just 100% now not faking it like it was before. Who knows what the best way to go is, right now they are being paid to play, not just getting money to appear in a commercial or something. Maybe being university employees is the way to go. At least then everyone would know what each player made everywhere and the market would correct itself over time.

This seems to be the narrative around our roster and it is just a trite expression. “Generating your own shot” means outside the offensive framework, not assisted. Isn’t a shot that is a result of good team passing and offense a better play?
People use this term without any idea what it means

Reactions: dl51344
This seems to be the narrative around our roster and it is just a trite expression. “Generating your own shot” means outside the offensive framework, not assisted. Isn’t a shot that is a result of good team passing and offense a better play?
People use this term without any idea what it means
You don’t want to rely on it to the point that you stop having any offensive structure, but players who don’t need a play run for them in order to score are still valuable. There’s going to be possessions in games against good teams where something breaks down or the defense successfully covers what you were looking for out of your set. Having someone who can improvise and keep some of those possessions from being a total waste is a huge asset.

Having someone who can improvise and keep some of those possessions from being a total waste is a huge asset.
Interesting stats:

% of shots taken in each quarter of the shot clock.
% of successful shots taken in each quarter of the shot clock.

You can substitute any other subdivision of the clock for "quarter".

Read something a little while ago that insinuated that Lanier will visit UT and UK. Mentioned that UT is still the favorite FWIW. None of that may be true but thought I would share it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT