ADVERTISEMENT

Travis Perry announcing soon

That’s a nice little link, but what do you learn from it? That Kentucky is top 10 in revenue among basketball teams? As far as single points of data go, seems like a fairly good indicator of brand popularity.

What does it tell you about how that revenue is calculated? Does it account for how big a cut we get from Rupp?

In other words, if we built an on-campus arena, would we suddenly shoot to the top? Would you think our brand suddenly became more popular just because we captured a larger cut of arena revenue?

Good God I've been updating Rafters every 60 secs for days waiting for good player news. This isn't what I was waiting on. I thought at least we had a team of two.

Sad Episode 4 GIF by The Simpsons

Im not convinced the author of the article isn't seeking hits tbh, but even if not... kid showed up to the Pope press conference as a fan and got a standing ovation. I'd be drop dead shocked if he went anywhere other than UK. PT would be just about the only reason.
As of this moment he’s guaranteed 40 minutes a game.

Wonder why he hasn't announced yet? If he was staying, would it not occur to him that not having at least 5 guys on the roster makes it difficult to get guys to sign?

Reactions: Fox2monk
Im not done with this yet either. Im gonna double post.

The fact we are talking about the branding of Kentucky basketball in a thread about a Kentucky commit with 99% likelihood of being at Kentucky next year is even more evidence that whatever you're referring to is fluffy perceptional bs. What's your agenda here?

Also based on your argument, where was Kentucky's brand in 1995 when we hadn't won a title for 19 years?
That dude is wired differently. Awful takes and confrontation abound.

Reactions: KAB Cats
What's our Champion's Classic record? How's our on-the-court brand looking against the other elite brands in the nation?

How's our brand doing in post-season tournaments? Are we playing on the weekends in the SEC-T for that coverage/discourse? How about advancement in the tournament?

We offered Hurley the chance to be the hightest paid coach in the history of college athletics, how'd that turn out?

We got turned down by SCOTT DREW - you think Drew turns us down in 2016? No way
UCONN has won 2 titles in a row and not one person outside of the Big East is going to tune in to their games next year hoping for them to lose. Yet UK went out in the 1st round and people in every state will tune in hoping for them to lose next year.

Dan Patrick said that, not me.

UCONN has won 2 titles in a row and not one person outside of the Big East is going to tune in to their games next year hoping for them to lose. Yet UK went out in the 1st round and people in every state will tune in hoping for them to lose next year.

Dan Patrick said that, not me.
The UK coaching hire is bigger is bigger news than UConn winning back to back titles.

The UK coaching hire is bigger is bigger news than UConn winning back to back titles.
Yep we were bigger news than UConn playing Purdue on Championship Night…. Hurley was stupid turning down that 100 million… He needs to visit a DR for that….

Reactions: Fox2monk
Because those revenue rankings looked odd to me, I briefly looked into that study. The numbers are based on what the institutions reported to the DOE for the Equity in Athletics disclosure requirements--which is related to Title IX.

So, I looked up UK's disclosure (linked below). All sports show exactly the same expenses as revenue (net zero). UK included the following caveat.

" In addition, the instructions for this report
require revenue to be re-allocated to ensure all sports are "fully funded." Please note that our athletics department will report
a small profit, but all sports do not have a net income of zero as this report shows. All our sports are truly fully funded, but not in the manner shown here (revenue in this fiscal year came mostly from non-sports specific, men’s basketball, and football). The NCAA report will show all sports with the actual revenue earned by sport."

So, I decided to go and look up UK's latest NCAA report (also linked below). UK reported $31.2M for Men's Basketball. Of that, only $4M was media rights. There was $57M in non sport specfic media rights, of which basketball is the second biggest portion. So, we know for certain that this ranking underestimated UK's men’s basketball revenue by at least $9M, and in reality much more.

In summary, that ranking of revenue is worthless because it uses the wrong data in the wrong way. In any case, attendance, TV ratings, and social media mentions would be a better measurement of brand power.

Imagine that….real stats/financial earnings.

Reactions: KY_Kid
Honestly…just read the article and it comes off like a poor writer attempting to come up with a story when we don’t have a ton of movement currently on actual announcements in an era where we’ve been conditioned to expect each player to make an announcement on the situation.

Wouldn’t surprise me if there isn’t ever an announcement from Perry bc he’s committed and never reopened to start with. He did make a weird statement at the press conference of “I’m going to talk to coach pope once he’s settled in and go from there (something like that)” but that just comes off like double checking the vision and vibe. But seems like the author took it as an actual decision needing to be made and undecided combined with a need for clicks.

Now, I’m sure schools are reaching out in the background but if he is still committed and signed NLI then technically that’s tampering is it not?

Reactions: UKortho
So because a Kentucky kid committed to Kentucky, that means Kentucky is as awesome as we've ever been? Is that actually your argument here? Keep in mind, it's a kid that Cal specifically told he was NOT good enough to play here. Soo...

The brand in following Sutton and the first couple years of Pitino was definitely diminished - again, it's delusional to think otherwise. Now, for some of the "die-hards" that refuse to admit that, it still doesn't change the facts. Then guess what, Pitino went on a winning-rampage and re-established the brand.

You think the Billy G era didn't lower the brand?
Cal never told him that. Don’t want to argue, but I assure you he didn’t. It was the other way around. Otherwise Perry would have signed with Alabama.

I’ll add, it would be a great story from a Perry standpoint. “Cal said I wasn’t good enough- but I bleed blue and will outwork everyone, etc”. It didn’t happen. Cal had to convince him he was wanted and could contribute. Prior to that conversation, he wondered if the offer was genuine. This can be verified in an interview that he had after the signing.

Last edited:
If he were to announce he was seeking other options I think he would have done so already. Regardless, if he does, can we not excoriate him? If a kid doesn’t want to be here, I’d rather a kid who wants to be a part of the foundation.

Reactions: Catfan2226
If he were to announce he was seeking other options I think he would have done so already. Regardless, if he does, can we not excoriate him? If a kid doesn’t want to be here, I’d rather a kid who wants to be a part of the foundation.
Good God I would hope a kid from Ky wants to be at Ky trying to get back to Ky.

As far as hasn't yet we just heard about Burks today.

If this goes wrong it's Collin Callander vs the world bb!

Reactions: RunninRichie
I be surprised if he leaves because Cal did not recruit him hard he came to Ky because he is a Ky fan what I understood.
Yeah. Everyone talking about Pope shouldn't be putting all this pressure on him is the same ppl that would be mad if Pope hadn't recognized him. I think he will be here for sure. Probably just trying to get a few extra dollars to drive the price up a little bit. I hate what it's become though.

Honestly…just read the article and it comes off like a poor writer attempting to come up with a story when we don’t have a ton of movement currently on actual announcements in an era where we’ve been conditioned to expect each player to make an announcement on the situation. EB

The story was originally written in the Paducah Sun. I can’t link the story because it behind a paywall but will keep looking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT