ADVERTISEMENT

Travis Perry announcing soon

Perhaps I missed it, but the article doesn't actually say he will be making an announcement - only that he is close to deciding what to do. I don't think there's anything wrong with thinking about a new coach.

Reactions: Jkwo
If he still chose UK despite Cal, then he's at UK because it's his dream to wear that jersey. Precisely the kind of player Pope wants. He's likely a multi-year guy and by all accounts determined to prove himself. I tend to think he stays because UK is where his heart is. If he does stay and becomes a focal point of this offense over the next 2-3 years, his legacy will be bigger than anything Reed Sheppard just left behind.
He is already signed. WTH is he announcing?
If he was considering asking out of his NLI, then I don’t care if he comes. A Kentucky kid with the chance to play at UK should consider it an honor.

“He told me after, I stayed around for a little bit, he told me I took the pressure off of my shoulders and put it onto you,” Perry said. “It is a really neat situation that I am in honestly, just to have. He put a lot of pressure on me, but it is good pressure. It is a fan base that is very supportive and very excited about what could be next year.”

I mean, he sure sounds on board. It's kind of weird though.

Reactions: EliteBlue
“He told me after, I stayed around for a little bit, he told me I took the pressure off of my shoulders and put it onto you,” Perry said. “It is a really neat situation that I am in honestly, just to have. He put a lot of pressure on me, but it is good pressure. It is a fan base that is very supportive and very excited about what could be next year.”

He needs to talk with a PR person because he is costing himself some NIL. Just saying

Reactions: L.O.D.
He has a bunch of offers. One of which is from Alabama. I doubt he'll leave the state though. Just hasn't been a lot of news to get excited about since Pope conference.

Collins and 3 assistants in first 5 days on the job, but not much to get excited about, you’re right.. lol

I mean he did commit to CAL, and maybe Pope doesn’t want him or he doesn’t want to play for Pope. We will have a roster with good great players either way but would be a bad look

I don't know what to think. I mean if he's committed then why have an announcement just to say I'm keeping my commitment to UK.
I just don't see him needing attention or at least I hope this isn't what it is.
Then why have an announcement unless you have decided to reopen your recruitment

That doesn't sound on board. That sounds terrified and a little perturbed that suddenly the pressure was put onto an incoming freshman.

I'd say he's reopening his recruitment, based on this alone.

• Haha
Reactions: L.O.D.
Im not convinced the author of the article isn't seeking hits tbh, but even if not... kid showed up to the Pope press conference as a fan and got a standing ovation. I'd be drop dead shocked if he went anywhere other than UK. PT would be just about the only reason.

I’m gonna say he’s more Reed Sheppard.
I love this kids potential. He has skills and plays with a maturity beyond his age. He's not as athletic as Reed but he's not unathletic either. Good body and quick enough to guard and get shots off. Think he will be a really solid college player.

Reactions: UKortho
Not trying to stir the pot, but honestly what hasn’t gone as planned thus far? Seems like things have gone exactly what most thought would happen. Now, if Perry goes elsewhere, that would be the first shocker.
Things have went pretty much how we all thought but most everyone had hope at least 1 kid on the team or recruit would want to play for KY and stay at least I did

Not trying to stir the pot, but honestly what hasn’t gone as planned thus far? Seems like things have gone exactly what most thought would happen. Now, if Perry goes elsewhere, that would be the first shocker.

Many here thought kids were going to line up to play for the prodigal son returning to his home state, his alma mater.. They thought we could retain maybe 1 or 2 recruits, maybe 2-3 current roster guys.. they thought the NIL was going to flow from all the corners of the state and just buy the guys we needed.. they thought UK/Pope would smoke Cal..

And none of it came true, and doesn't seem to be coming true. I said the other day, we have through this weekend (or Monday, if you want) to land SEVERAL players, before this is going to be. real problem.

Many here thought kids were going to line up to play for the prodigal son returning to his home state, his alma mater.. They thought we could retain maybe 1 or 2 recruits, maybe 2-3 current roster guys.. they thought the NIL was going to flow from all the corners of the state and just buy the guys we needed.. they thought UK/Pope would smoke Cal..

And none of it came true, and doesn't seem to be coming true. I said the other day, we have through this weekend (or Monday, if you want) to land SEVERAL players, before this is going to be. real problem.

Meh, don't freak out in the fox hole.

Meh, don't freak out in the fox hole.

You guys kind of said this 2 days ago.. and we've only LOST players since then.

I'm not at the highest level of alert.. but it's climbing. There's still planet of time.. but the spidey-senses are tingling right now, that this just isnt as desirable as a place to play, as we think.

Yep, we fans - especially the older ones - have grown so accustomed to the Kentucky brand attracting players that we are all struggling with the reality that the NIL and trade portal has completely wiped that all away. Players don't care about loyalty to a school. They no longer care about history. Hell, look at UCONN - they were nothing until the last 25 years, but even after winning back to back, it's not like kids are lining up at the doors of Storrs hoping to get into that program, because the PROGRAM no longer matters.

Kentucky has a WIDE OPEN roster. Literally. Playing time abounds. But we're at risk of being beaten by the likes of Jerry Jones and FedEx for players because it's about money bags, not playing time (although PT is likely 1b in terms of priority to some of these kids). I mean think about that, Arkansas, Baylor and Memphis are going to challenge our mighty KENTUCKY brand. Tells us all we need to know - it's not the school or the coach or even winning games, it's about the MONEY and the "what can you do for me to get me to the next level while still paying me 6 figures?"

I'm not at the highest level of alert.. but it's climbing. There's still planet of time.. but the spidey-senses are tingling right now, that this just isnt as desirable as a place to play, as we think.

Get some confidence about you, son

Reactions: struggler
We're in deep trouble if he bolts.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Why does it become a problem that we don’t have multiple guys signed, in April? No one said kids would be lining up to play for Pope. Pope said he would get kids that fit his system. This isn’t John Calipari mumbo, jumbo rosters thrown together last min. Each kid will be recruited to fit a ROLE. It’s not hard to understand if you pay attention to what’s said by the coach and not Rupp Rafters.

With respect to Perry, perhaps he realizes Pope will be recruiting over him. And for this year anyway, that’s the right thing to do.
I'm not sure that one of the best 3pt shooters of all time in the high school ranks is easily recruited over by anyone not named Calipari. Even if Perry doesn't start, I don't see a scenario where he doesn't play at all next year. Kid's a bucket.

It will be a hot mess if Perry goes elsewhere. Why? He is a State of Kentucky star, a multi-year player that would be the type Pope has shown that he wants and within his historical style of his offense. It would reflect that this may not be the place to be = THE UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY basketball program.

I am not saying it will impact the eventual team's outcome. But, right now Pope has to recapture that our program is the place to be. Every existing UK player of note has left reflecting that elsewhere is better. I don't at the moment get some of the decisions so we need the opposite to begin occurring. However, I never thought the upcoming season we were to be contenders. I felt it was a rebuilding year. As I said when Pope was hired, "Time will tell."

Oh boy. If he leaves, I think we have real problems.

I said several times last week, his words of coming back were not encouraging, at all. Not surprised this is in doubt.
lol I we’ve had problems from day 1. People just went crazy about the hire. I haven’t been excited about it for 1 second

• Sad
Reactions: ruppsrunt66
Yea, all of this new age BS is crazy, press conferences for everything.
This. There should be no need for an announcement unless he asks for and is given a release. He’s already a committed and signed UK recruit and should be presumed to still be so.

But in today’s attention-driven society it seems like anything that can be is used to generate a media moment.

Reactions: track42

I was chastised when I said this a few weeks back, but Kentucky simply isn't the brand that it used to be. Did we have THOUSANDS of Kentucky residents fill Rupp to the rafters for the Pope press conference? Absoolutely, and it really was awesome - chills and tears, no doubt.

But the simply truth is the Kentucky brand is NOT as nationally appealing/attractive/hot as it used to be. It just isn't. Think about the lack of success we've had these last several years. And honestly, even the NBA names aren't legendary anymore OR have been replaced by new generational talent.

It's going to taking winning, plain and simple - to return the brand to where it was.

I was chastised when I said this a few weeks back, but Kentucky simply isn't the brand that it used to be. Did we have THOUSANDS of Kentucky residents fill Rupp to the rafters for the Pope press conference? Absoolutely, and it really was awesome - chills and tears, no doubt.

But the simply truth is the Kentucky brand is NOT as nationally appealing/attractive/hot as it used to be. It just isn't. Think about the lack of success we've had these last several years. And honestly, even the NBA names aren't legendary anymore OR have been replaced by new generational talent.

It's going to taking winning, plain and simple - to return the brand to where it was.

This is non-sense. It's bullshit. And I don't say that to be mean to you, but if the "Kentucky brand" isn't what it it was, where was it at the tail end of Tubby Smith or Gillispie? Tubby Smith routinely got beat for bigtime recruits. Gillispie was recruiting 8th graders. Curmudgeons made the same comments then about "Kentucky's brand".

"Kentucky's brand" hasn't changed in 70+ years. It's traditional excellence or the striving for it. That's it. There are maybe 4-5 programs who have any brand like ours. It ebbs and flows, like programs in all sports, from the New York Yankees to LA Lakers, but making statements about the decline of Kentucky branding....what? What are we even talking about?

Reactions: UKhoopCat and Wonky
I'm not too worried about this. I figure he'll be here. If not, bad move on his part given him being an in-state kid and NIL. Plus, he fits Pope's system perfectly.

I get wanting to think and meet the new staff. But yeah, I figure he'll be here and am not going to freak out about it.

Reactions: ruppsrunt66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT