ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer rule

Mt. St. Mary's, Farleigh Dickinson, and Abilene were never going to take down Kansas/UNC/Duke outside the one fluke very decade.

Parity has always been a myth.

I love the new rule. I hope the bluebloods steamroll the midmajors.

I have to believe they change this rule next year, once COVID is gone..

Right? I mean this is a train wreck. No one is happy with this rule. No one likes seeing their team get decimated.

I mean, the only program I can think that has benefited from this.. so far.. is Kentucky! (And MSU)..

Reactions: Dead Cat Bounce
In this years elite eight, 1/3 of all the players on the 8 teams are transfers. With the new NCAA approach the number of transfers will only definitely go up even more. Imagine as a coach, that you now have to recruit HS players, transfers, and to a large extent , your own players. A coach doesnt want to look at the transfer portal and see one of his own players on there. We are about to see an exodus of long time coaches. Guys that have been a part of our basketball life for decades. Age is one reason but the huge changes in basketball is definitely another. Roy was the first casualty, in part because of Kesslers transfer.

How do you guys think it will affect the parity in college basketball. I don't understand how any mid major school will be able to build their program going forward. Once the bright lights come calling you know the players will leave to make a name for themselves
Not sure it is going to have the effect that people think it will. This year and next year maybe, but then after that, not so much, in my opinion. The transfer rule is that you get a one time free pass to transfer. I could see the NCAA then basically not allowing exceptions for future transfers. In other words, once you have transferred once, you will have to sit out the next time regardless of your reason for transferring. I could also see them doing away with the grad transfer rule, claiming the new rule is the one free chance.

So, there are like 1500 players in the portal this year, and if all of them end up on new teams, that will be their one time free pass. Just for reference, that is an average of roughly 4.5 players per team. Now, less than 100 of those players will be leaving early from their new school for professional basketball. If they decide to transfer again, they will have to sit out. So this basically means you better be sure you are transferring to the right school when you transfer. So it might not hurt mid majors as much as people think. It will definitely have an impact the first couple of years, but after that, probably not. Even at that, most of the mid-majors that have a player worthy of moving up, that player is usually a junior or senior anyway. If you are a good player for a mid major, do you use your one free pass to transfer to Vandy, or do you stick around hoping you get good enough to go to UK, Duke, Kansas, etc. Because if you go to Vandy, that will basically eliminate you from moving any further up unless you are willing to sit out.

And the other side is this, that average of 4.5 players have to go somewhere. The better mid-major players may be moving up, but it is also likely that some players on the better program team are going to move down. At the end of the day, the amount of total roster spots are going to be the same, and the number of available players to fill those rosters will be the same. I am just not sure there will be quite the free for all after the first couple of years as we have seen the last couple years.

I have to believe they change this rule next year, once COVID is gone..
It will be interesting to see. The NCAA is under a lot of pressure to do what is best for the students.

I originally thought same as you. But ... this year will probably be the greatest #, because it just began. If they stick to their guns and make it a one time transfer only, then I see the transfer #'s reducing each year then leveling off around year 3. Younger players (from mid-majors) will be reluctant to transfer too soon because they know they only get 1 freebie. Jrs who have excelled at their current schools will make up most of the future transfers because they will want a shot at bigger school and the advantages of playing against better competition.

Yes - P5 will raid mid-majors and group of 5 schools. But, mid-majors will raid the lower divisions in the same way. I'm guessing this benefits P5 basketball and smaller schools in football where smaller football programs grab players not getting pt with their schools. Think I saw where WKU filled like 90% of football recruits this year with transfers.

Bottom line - high school players are the ones getting shafted by the new transfer rules. In defense of NCAA (which is hard to do) ... it is impossible to put in rules that impact everyone evenly. Portal is causing (will continue to cause) lots of free-agency feel to college athletes. But, we can't continue having coaches moving without penalty and not allow students the same freedom. This really looks bad when coach leaves because he/she is leaving program in trouble with NCAA. Coach moves to new program. Players left behind are punished for coaches sins. (NCAA slow to punish schools/coaches is another thread!)

I could see, schools like UK, UNC, etc...,, get in informal relationships with mid majors where we steer 3* recruits we like to those schools to “season” for a couple years and then they get steered back to us as Jr or Sr. Like 2-3 midm-majors become our farmclubs.
Interesting.

Not sure it is going to have the effect that people think it will. This year and next year maybe, but then after that, not so much, in my opinion. The transfer rule is that you get a one time free pass to transfer. I could see the NCAA then basically not allowing exceptions for future transfers. In other words, once you have transferred once, you will have to sit out the next time regardless of your reason for transferring. I could also see them doing away with the grad transfer rule, claiming the new rule is the one free chance.

So, there are like 1500 players in the portal this year, and if all of them end up on new teams, that will be their one time free pass. Just for reference, that is an average of roughly 4.5 players per team. Now, less than 100 of those players will be leaving early from their new school for professional basketball. If they decide to transfer again, they will have to sit out. So this basically means you better be sure you are transferring to the right school when you transfer. So it might not hurt mid majors as much as people think. It will definitely have an impact the first couple of years, but after that, probably not. Even at that, most of the mid-majors that have a player worthy of moving up, that player is usually a junior or senior anyway. If you are a good player for a mid major, do you use your one free pass to transfer to Vandy, or do you stick around hoping you get good enough to go to UK, Duke, Kansas, etc. Because if you go to Vandy, that will basically eliminate you from moving any further up unless you are willing to sit out.

And the other side is this, that average of 4.5 players have to go somewhere. The better mid-major players may be moving up, but it is also likely that some players on the better program team are going to move down. At the end of the day, the amount of total roster spots are going to be the same, and the number of available players to fill those rosters will be the same. I am just not sure there will be quite the free for all after the first couple of years as we have seen the last couple years.
If you aren't good enough to go to Duke by the time you are going to vandy, odds are you will never make it with 1000 others who probably are good enough. Mid majors will get hammered. Every time they get a kid who shines as a freshman or soph, he's gone. Why wouldn't he?
The second transfer sit out is an afterthought in my opinion.
We will have a "super team" before we know it. 5 new incoming players that creates an all star type team. Not meaning necessarily uk , just in general

Last edited:
I fully support it and don’t give a sh-t what it does to others. The players get four years to do what they want and if they don’t want to be some sacrificial spoke on the wheel for these programs, that’s fine.

Mt. St. Mary's, Farleigh Dickinson, and Abilene were never going to take down Kansas/UNC/Duke outside the one fluke very decade.

Such a boring, average and common opinion.

Reactions: kl40504
I could see, schools like UK, UNC, etc...,, get in informal relationships with mid majors where we steer 3* recruits we like to those schools to “season” for a couple years and then they get steered back to us as Jr or Sr. Like 2-3 midm-majors become our farmclubs.
Eastern Kentucky for us.

Reactions: kl40504

Parity isn't a myth. Mid majors are alot closer to power 6 than ever before. The talent gap is shrinking,

I’m glad it’s helping us add some guys, but I really don’t like it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT