ADVERTISEMENT

Told You Reeves is Elite…Listen to Me

We just didn’t have many other options last year besides Cason. Toppin never lived up to his potential. Reeves had to try to do too much. Not the case this year!

I understand that... I'm just saying usually basketball players know if they have it going that day or not. If the shot isn't falling there are other ways to impact the game.

I kinda agree with the poster. With some players scoring comes easy and that's reeves, he'll have 17 and you don't even notice it. As opposed to theiro (and I like theiro) who will get 9 and it looks like he worked and grunted extra hard and needed 28 minutes to push those out.

At some point Reeves had to know it wasn't his day. There's other things he could have done rather than shoot a three.... drive the basketball maybe get fouled and be put on the line, swing it to another player.
I’m sure he did
But he was also told to keep shooting. You could see Calipari screaming at him too. Kstate knew he was cold and didn’t try to hard to guard him.

There was a lot more to that game of course. My problem was so many blamed one player ..
when a few adjustments and contributions from others would have easily won it

Reactions: crestcat
It was annoying hearing people not wanting him back because of the K-State game .

I get being worried about him coming back because you are concerned about if he really wanted to return to UK but using 1 bad game is crazy . Not to mention we need a few Vets .

I guess those people didn't want Jamal Murray to return either. He was awful against IU in the tournament.

I like Reeves and I am happy that he returned. We will need him but he is not elite. He is a streak shooter with poor handles. He is bad on defense tends to over penetrate .Tends to force shots but when he’s on he’s on.
It's much easier to hit shots when the defense is lousy and the games don't mean anything. Good bucket getter, yes, at times, elite, not even close. Elite means your a good complete player across the board, not weak on defense, rebound well and pass the ball/assist really well, Reeves is average on all but shooting. How many times does his man get by him causing someone to foul to protect the rim, happened to many times last year to Oscar. Yes, I'm glad he's back. Think he is improving and has abilities that he could become elite. Playing with the quality players everyday in practice and the competition in the SEC seems to have helped him advance his skills. Don't you think coming to KY has opened his eyes to what it takes to be Elite? We're all rooting for him to making that leap.

• Love
Reactions: mattrudd
It was annoying hearing people not wanting him back because of the K-State game .

I get being worried about him coming back because you are concerned about if he really wanted to return to UK but using 1 bad game is crazy . Not to mention we need a few Vets .
Does he really want to be at Kentucky though? We will see next month.

40% *is* streak shooting when one game is 60%, the next is 20%, then 50%, then 30%, . . .

Which is pretty much how he shot last year.
I mean that’s shooting in general. I’m not sure what you expect. Steph curry does that too lmao

Reactions: shaudyshaud
I mean that’s shooting in general. I’m not sure what you expect. Steph curry does that too lmao
Last season Curry shot under 30% from three just 7 times in 56 games and made at least 2 threes in each of those 56 games.

Reeves shot under 30% from three 12 times in 34 games and had 13 games with fewer than 2 threes.

Reactions: mattrudd
I said this another thread, but him being in an actual offense this year instead of the YMCA league offense we ran last year will do wonders for him.

They’re actually creating advantages for him to score now, instead of just east-west passes until there’s 5 seconds left and they give him the ball and hope he makes it.

40% *is* streak shooting when one game is 60%, the next is 20%, then 50%, then 30%, . . .

Which is pretty much how he shot last year.
By your definition there is nothing but streak shooters as no one consistently shoots the same % every game. A streak shooter is someone who only hits a good percentage on occasion but otherwise not reliable and will typically be a lower percentage shooter, not 40% overall.

Reactions: Aike
Last season Curry shot under 30% from three just 7 times in 56 games and made at least 2 threes in each of those 56 games.

Reeves shot under 30% from three 12 times in 34 games and had 13 games with fewer than 2 threes.
3 of those 12 games were right after Christmas when his minutes were cut. He had a 3 game stretch where his minutes played were in the teens, and he was a combined 0-6 from 3.

I think everyone will agree that he isn’t as good a shooter as Steph Curry. Pretty large gap between elite college shooter, and greatest shooter in basketball history.

I’m sure he did
But he was also told to keep shooting. You could see Calipari screaming at him too. Kstate knew he was cold and didn’t try to hard to guard him.

There was a lot more to that game of course. My problem was so many blamed one player ..
when a few adjustments and contributions from others would have easily won it
It’s like you guys look at a box score and comf to all these genius conclusions

- Go back and watch the game…..Wallace Oscar and Reeves were the only guys that wanted to score. Livingston ran from the shots entire game. Chris would crash the boards which is fine but Cal offense was dribble it and the ball sticks in Reeves hands late in clock
2. The open shots Reeves did get ….he clanked ‘em that day. It happens. But most of his shots were heavy contested

But I love how Reeves won the Providence game and other guys played bad..he gets little love from many. But shoote bad in KSt game and gets lambasted as a choker in big games.

Was not Providence as big a game as K st?

It’s like you guys look at a box score and comf to all these genius conclusions

- Go back and watch the game…..Wallace Oscar and Reeves were the only guys that wanted to score. Livingston ran from the shots entire game. Chris would crash the boards which is fine but Cal offense was dribble it and the ball sticks in Reeves hands late in clock
2. The open shots Reeves did get ….he clanked ‘em that day. It happens. But most of his shots were heavy contested

But I love how Reeves won the Providence game and other guys played bad..he gets little love from many. But shoote bad in KSt game and gets lambasted as a choker in big games.

Was not Providence as big a game as K st?
You do understand I’m defending Reeves right?
And that the problem wasn’t him…cold shooting happens especially with that kind of pressure. We lost that game due to lack of in game adjustments and others stepping up
And you supported my point. He won the Providence game and got very few accolades
We lost to Kstate and he was trashed

Reactions: K_TIME and Mike-D
My problem with Reeves isn't that he has a few bad shooting nights, it's that he keeps shooting even when he's ice cold and he has teammates who aren't.

Against K-State, we can all agree he shot like crap. And I would be ok with that if he had, say, stopped shooting when he was 0-10 and instead got the ball to Oscar, who finished the game 8-13 , or Wallace, who went 9-11.

That's the problem i have with the guy. When he's on he's one of the best scorers in the game. But when he's off, he can lose games for you. Which is ok at Illinois State, but at UK when you're sharing the court with a 2-time All American returning consensus NPOY and a lottery pick, maybe try passing the ball?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT