ADVERTISEMENT

Todd Graham Arizona State

You called it. He was ONLY 46-31.
What a terrible record in 6 years as coach. Only 2-2 in bowl games with another one this year.

"When evaluating our head coaches, we have been very clear in our four-prong approach: integrity, academics, performance and fan affinity advancement," Arizona State vice president of athletics Ray Anderson said in a statement. "From the moment he arrived in Tempe, Todd helped change the culture and emphasized the student in student-athlete here at Arizona State, elevating the program to unprecedented heights in the classroom and strong citizenship across the board.

"However, our athletic department, university and community expect our football program to compete on the field for Pac-12 titles, be competitively consistent and qualify to participate in major bowl games on a regular basis. In evaluating Todd's body of work over a four-year period, it became clear that a change is necessary."

Sounds exactly like what our AD would say.....

mr_chang_senor_chang_laugh_spits_milk.gif

Progression has stalled out. 8-10-11-7-5-7 wins isn't showing improvement. And has petered out momentium.

Would you support a stoops firing if we continue to hover around 5-7 wins next three years?

That’s a ballsy move by their AD - the exact opposite of how MB operates.

ASU fans better hope their AD has the proverbial home-run hire waiting in the wings. It will be interesting to see how this move pans out for them......

He has actually came down from where he started. Came in and had 8-10-and 10 win seasons. Followed by 6-5 and 7. Same as sumlin at AM, although we are at seven wins now. If we fall back to 5-7 a couple years I'm all for moving from stoops. Once you have reached highest point. But right now we are still moving upwards and you can't hope a next hire works out. Esp since over ninety percent of coaching hires end in failures.

Once you reach a certain level you are expected to at least stay there. He hadn't done that.

Progression has stalled out. 8-10-11-7-5-7 wins isn't showing improvement. And has petered out momentium.

Would you support a stoops firing if we continue to hover around 5-7 wins next three years?

You would support Stoops if we only won 3 games 5 years in a row. Come on man.

Lets see CMS win 10 games twice and watch the support remain strong here.

Reactions: GG24

No kidding.

Honestly, if we'd just have beaten Florida and everything else was the same, I would have become a pumper. Man that loss still stings.

He has actually came down from where he started. Came in and had 8-10-and 11 win seasons. Followed by 7-5-7. Same as sumlin at AM, although we are at seven wins now. If we fall back to 5-7 a couple years I'm all for loving from stoops. But right now we are still moving upwards and you can't hope a next hire works out. Esp since over ninety percent of coaching hires end in failures.

Once you reach a certain level you are expected to at least stay there. He hadn't done that.
Stoops is a loser

Stoops is a loser
But winning better than anyone we have had in 30 years. Could it fail yes, but you can't move on and expect a good coach to come here right now. Why would anyone go to a place that you accomplish something that hasn't been done in decades, it still get fired without a drop off.

No up and comer is going to take that, only chance is to get someone with a lot of baggage, or someone hanging on to last part of their career and a last option And failed elsewhere. (That what we want is someone who couldn't win other places right?)

Didn't you ask me what it would take a week or two back to stoop supporting stoops. I answered.

The main part was when we topped out or had a small set back that stayed for two years. Then it would be time to move one.

That is exactly what happened there Guy starts out with 28 wins in three season, follow that up in three seasons with 18. That is not moving forward. And going the wrong way. And time to cut losses and move on. Right now we can't say that is the same case here.

Reactions: brianpoe
Didn't you ask me what it would take a week or two back to stoop supporting stoops. I answered.

The main part was when we topped out or had a small set back that stayed for two years. Then it would be time to move one.

That is exactly what happened there Guy starts out with 28 wins in three season, follow that up in three seasons with 18. That is not moving forward. And going the wrong way. And time to cut losses and move on. Right now we can't say that is the same case here.

The play on the field has regressed this season.

"When evaluating our head coaches, we have been very clear in our four-prong approach: integrity, academics, performance and fan affinity advancement," Arizona State vice president of athletics Ray Anderson said in a statement. "From the moment he arrived in Tempe, Todd helped change the culture and emphasized the student in student-athlete here at Arizona State, elevating the program to unprecedented heights in the classroom and strong citizenship across the board.

"However, our athletic department, university and community expect our football program to compete on the field for Pac-12 titles, be competitively consistent and qualify to participate in major bowl games on a regular basis. In evaluating Todd's body of work over a four-year period, it became clear that a change is necessary."

Vision and expectations are crystal clear with that statement. Bet they improve!

The play on the field has regressed this season.
While the schedule got better. There is no deny that the toughest part of the schedule was later in year.

When does a lack of depth come in to play September or November?

Offense got better late in the season as Benny got healthy, defense played worse as they wore down.

Oh. He would say it... then do the laugh

While the schedule got better. There is no deny that the toughest part of the schedule was later in year.

When does a lack of depth come in to play September or November?

Offense got better late in the season as Benny got healthy, defense played worse as they wore down.

No no no.... we sucked ass playing vs EKU and EMU, this is when we started to worry and began predicting the end of season results.

USCjr was the ONLY game we played well early on.

What does Arizona State have to do with the University of Kentucky Mr. Einstein? I'm no genius by any means and sorry for offending you. I just think that post you made was a little overboard in that other thread.
Ok, I'll try this slowly. Schools that fire historically successful coaches create the impression that a coach is never safe. That perception limits the coaches willing to work for that school. Florida is dealing with it, Arizona State will be dealing with it and if UK fires Stoops for less than utter failure, UK will be dealing with it. Coaches have options. Why go to a school that expects and demands success at a level unachieved in the past and if you don't achieve it, you're fired, regardless of current success. If you really think the coaching fraternity doesn't pay attention to this, you're floating in lala land.

Arizona State is an awesome place. Hard to believe they have not attracted a bigtime coach over the years. Easy place to recruit young men. Not totally sure the quality of facilities but campus life is one of the best in the country.

Arizona State is an awesome place. Hard to believe they have not attracted a bigtime coach over the years. Easy place to recruit young men. Not totally sure the quality of facilities but campus life is one of the best in the country.
When he was hired Graham was thought to be an up and comer.

Ok, I'll try this slowly. Schools that fire historically successful coaches create the impression that a coach is never safe. That perception limits the coaches willing to work for that school. Florida is dealing with it, Arizona State will be dealing with it and if UK fires Stoops for less than utter failure, UK will be dealing with it. Coaches have options. Why go to a school that expects and demands success at a level unachieved in the past and if you don't achieve it, you're fired, regardless of current success. If you really think the coaching fraternity doesn't pay attention to this, you're floating in lala land.
I understand your point but still disagree to a certain degree. They may pay attention to it but it's not like Stoops has been fantastic in his tenure here. Their definitely wouldn't be any outrage over it. I'll reserve my judgements on whether he should stay or go for later on. Would rather see how we respond when the schedule becomes more difficult and hope that we don't take a step backwards. Historically that has happened to many times. With the young talent on our roster I think we could move forward and I hope like hell that we do.

Just shut up
Myself and that poster have had a good debate. If tagging me and attempting to insult my intelligence by using Arizona State as an example fits his agenda then so be it. I actually attempted to apologize to the guy which I may regret later on down the road. What Todd Graham and Stoops have in common isn't a logical comparison in my opinion but it is what it is.

That’s a ballsy move by their AD - the exact opposite of how MB operates.

ASU fans better hope their AD has the proverbial home-run hire waiting in the wings. It will be interesting to see how this move pans out for them......

Great move.

Signed,

Phililp Fulmer

Id support it now, but I've a feeling we'll be testing your theory

like Auburn?

No no no.... we sucked ass playing vs EKU and EMU, this is when we started to worry and began predicting the end of season results.

USCjr was the ONLY game we played well early on.
The thing i saw unfold was we lost same as 4 starting lineman. It took 4-5 games to get that ironed out. I thought the defense played some better early in the year. But the offense really struggled. Defense played ok against vandy and tn but the past 2wks the defense really dropped off and our running game kept getting stronger.
I really love SJ. But if gran can get a qb to complete those open throws this offense will be very tough IMO.
But stoops definitely has to address the defense. Lack of discipline ect.
Its almost like they didn't care anymore after not having a shot at a bigger bowl! But vandy was the closes thing to a complete game that we played all year. I don't think it is lack of talent.
It's a combination of undisciplined players from practice to game day,to lack of desire/focus from several players.

I don't know, which coach are you referring to?
you said schools that fire successful coaches limit the coaches willing to coach there. auburn has fired successful coaches pretty regularly but they seem to find new ones and are looking pretty good right now. so i'm not really buying your argument

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT