ADVERTISEMENT

Titans new coach

Tell that to the legion of fans that swear stoops handcuffs coen.

For real. They were probably the same crowd wearing the ditch Mitch and rich shirts to games, complaining we didn't throw deep. Meanwhile brooks was on probation and building a foundation for a very respectable program.

But....didn't go deep enough so he sucked.

Reactions: Rockfly78
Agree with some of the other Titans fans in this thread, I don’t think Callahan comes after Coen. My guess is he’ll hire Thomas Brown for OC.

He already ran the ball less than any other program in division 1, despite having the sec TD king who was a top back in the country.

He can't have any more control of the offense than he already has. Frankly he needs someone to temper him to avoid all the insane deep shots while abandoning the ground game. If he can get a bit more centered, he'd be even better than he already is.

All that to say: you can tell by the play calls this is all coen. Stoops would run the ball much more.
We threw the ball 28 times and ran it 26. Pretty much about as balanced as you can get. You can skew numbers anyway you want to make a point. It wasn't like Coen was pass happy. We just snapped the ball at the slowest rate in college football and didn't run the ball or pass the ball many times because of that.

We threw the ball 28 times and ran it 26. Pretty much about as balanced as you can get. You can skew numbers anyway you want to make a point. It wasn't like Coen was pass happy. We just snapped the ball at the slowest rate in college football and didn't run the ball or pass the ball many times because of that.

Stall ball at its finest. Stoops knows it will give him the 6 or 7 wins a year he needs. It's not pretty but it works.

If you watch NFL even the slightest you'd be educated enough to know the McVey Shanahan scheme is **NOT** hurry up. At all.

The principles are line up quickly, but then McVey/Shanahan/Coen read the defense, personnel. Then relay the playcall to the QB as the playclock ticks down to zero.

The obsession with plays per game is bizarre. From my point of view UKs were low in 2023 because:

1) Unacceptable low qb pass completion percentage. This was driven by WR drops, and forced low sucess rate throws to WRs to "make them feel involved! Get them invested in the game!!" Also Leary's height caused too many batted down balls, he never adjusted to the additional length of SEC defenders.
and
2)big plays. Single plays gained huge chunks rather than needing 4 or 5 snaps. Why is that a bad thing?!?!

Hey, quick pop quiz for those who love to cite O snap count numbers & rankings: what was UK's O snap stats for 2021? (crickets) huh? Why don't ya know those numbers by heart? Simple, the team scored points and won 10 damn games! Or how about the 2018 team? What was their pace of play?? Who cares, 10 wins!

Let's get Vandagriff completing 67-70% in 2024. Suddenly y'all won't be whining about numbers of plays run.

Last edited:

Yes and the low snap count was due to drops and failures to convert in the pass game. Whereas we had one of the very best rbs in the nation and he ended many games with way too few carries. The other reason was due to the unnecessary shifts and long play calls. Things he modified the first time here to improve operations but oddly did not this time.

If stoops handled was as involved with the offense as many here would believe, Davis would've had way more carries and we almost surely have another win or two.

This just circles back to the point repeatedly made (and proven) that a segment of posters will do anything to avoid any criticism whatsoever of coen. Coen is great but we absolutely needed to run the ball more given the makeup of the roster. He absolutely needs to get rid of the endless shifts and long play calls.

Reactions: JHB4UK
How do
Yes.

At this point, you have to wonder if coen bothers making a statement about returning. Does it count if all your other options fell through? Not to me.

It's crazy because he seemed more committed to the program his first time. It took a lot for that rams oc job to come open. Understandable he'd take it. Noone blamed him for that. This time feels like he's chasing every job out there, despite weeks ago preaching his commitment.

Stoops and Co need to spend this season getting his replacement lined up. Our program is in a place where we really need at least some stability there. Noone expects a lifer, but you can't have someone after one year (again) start chasing every available job.
How do you know he's chasing anything? You are reading rumors and choosing to believe them? I haven't seen a single team or Coen confirm any interviews, though I did hear Tom Leach report that Coen told Stoops he was speaking to teams to keep his name in the NFL mix, but he had no intention of leaving, so according to Tom, Stoops approved of his actions and Coen has been telling recruits they have zero worries about him not being here next year.

One theory floating out there is Coen has no intention of leaving. But his agent thinks getting his name involved in lots of openings keeps his reputation high....to make up for disappointing offense on the field in 2023.

Guess we will see when all NFL jobs are filled!
That's not just a theory. Tom Leach reported that as true. He said Coen discussed this with Stoops to alleviate any concerns about rumors in the media.

Reactions: JHB4UK and catben
If you watch NFL even the slightest you'd be educated enough to know the McVey Shanahan scheme is **NOT** hurry up. At all.

The principles are line up quickly, but then McVey/Shanahan/Coen read the defense, personnel. Then relay the playcall to the QB as the playclock ticks down to zero.

The obsession with plays per game is bizarre.

I agree. I too don't understand the obsession with play tempo. A win is a win......whether it's 38-35 or 17-10. And what is one the biggest recipes to winning over the last 100+ yrs?.......controlling the clock and being efficient.

Reactions: JHB4UK
I agree. I too don't understand the obsession with play tempo. A win is a win......whether it's 38-35 or 17-10. And what is one the biggest recipes to winning over the last 100+ yrs?.......controlling the clock and being efficient.
The biggest downfall though is recruiting. The original post I replied to was saying Davis didn't get enough carries. If Davis takes more of the carries then the WR Corp gets less targets. Top kids want to go to the NFL and limited carries and targets make a difference on where they decide to go. College football isn't the NFL. You might can get top recruits at a blue chip program playing slow, but it's going to hurt you somewhat at a mid-tier program. Stats is the only thing to get you in the news if you are outside the top teams..

Reactions: KyCatFan
The biggest downfall though is recruiting. The original post I replied to was saying Davis didn't get enough carries. If Davis takes more of the carries then the WR Corp gets less targets. Top kids want to go to the NFL and limited carries and targets make a difference on where they decide to go. College football isn't the NFL. You might can get top recruits at a blue chip program playing slow, but it's going to hurt you somewhat at a mid-tier program. Stats is the only thing to get you in the news if you are outside the top teams..

I get what you're trying to say, but if we went undefeated every year we'd be pulling in big time recruits no matter how we played. The style does have impact, but it's not as impactful as you might think it would be. For example, Mike Leach went 8-4 darn near every single year no matter what college/conference he coached for......and he wasn't swimming in tier 1 recruits.

How do

How do you know he's chasing anything? You are reading rumors and choosing to believe them? I haven't seen a single team or Coen confirm any interviews, though I did hear Tom Leach report that Coen told Stoops he was speaking to teams to keep his name in the NFL mix, but he had no intention of leaving, so according to Tom, Stoops approved of his actions and Coen has been telling recruits they have zero worries about him not being here next year.

I don't know any more than you. So that's on equal footing. The facts point to his interest.

The only fact that points against his interest is that he didn't take one of those jobs. Of course that assumes he was offered any of those jobs and, by the nature of who eventually got them, he most certainly wasn't.

If David gets more carries, we get more first downs and more snaps. We also get more wins because the weird preference to throw go routes to brown cost us at least two games.

Another thing that gets us more snaps is if the wrs catch the damn ball. Having a historically high drop rate removes any legitimate complaint about lack of touches.

The final thing is coaching. Brown's usage was bizarre considering how we used wandale in coen's first stint. We didn't grow gos or fades to wandale. We ran mesh over and then countered with over/post. Was much the way brown was used before which had him burst into the scene. For some reason coen kept forcing the ball into a route/catch scenario where brown is just awful. And we'd do it multiple times a game, even when we're moving the ball on the ground or spreading it around in the air. It just never made sense. Add in pace and it's easy to see why we offensively looked so underwhelming

I don't know any more than you. So that's on equal footing. The facts point to his interest.

The only fact that points against his interest is that he didn't take one of those jobs. Of course that assumes he was offered any of those jobs and, by the nature of who eventually got them, he most certainly wasn't.

If David gets more carries, we get more first downs and more snaps. We also get more wins because the weird preference to throw go routes to brown cost us at least two games.

Another thing that gets us more snaps is if the wrs catch the damn ball. Having a historically high drop rate removes any legitimate complaint about lack of touches.

The final thing is coaching. Brown's usage was bizarre considering how we used wandale in coen's first stint. We didn't grow gos or fades to wandale. We ran mesh over and then countered with over/post. Was much the way brown was used before which had him burst into the scene. For some reason coen kept forcing the ball into a route/catch scenario where brown is just awful. And we'd do it multiple times a game, even when we're moving the ball on the ground or spreading it around in the air. It just never made sense. Add in pace and it's easy to see why we offensively looked so underwhelming
I don't know therefore I make no assertions is not equal footing to I don't know, but I'm going to make assertions from circumstantial evidence without confirmation from any reliable sources.

For real. They were probably the same crowd wearing the ditch Mitch and rich shirts to games, complaining we didn't throw deep. Meanwhile brooks was on probation and building a foundation for a very respectable program.

But....didn't go deep enough so he sucked.

We all love Papaw, but he didn't start winning at even a mediocre clip and getting to bowls until he turned things over to a young passing game coordinator who let it rip.

Brooks was and old defensive guy, but to his credit he backed out of the offense. He allowed Joker, and Randy Sanders to take over...some of the best, most fun, and highest scoring ball this program has ever seen.

Didn't quite have the defense or overall depth and talent to compliment that offense, but it was an era of rebuilding, so it was hard to have everything.

That's the most frustrating thing about the CMS era. He can recruit and build overall depth better than anyone we've had, specifically on D. He and Eddie know run ball too. All he's got left, to finish building a complete well-rounded program is passing offense. Brooks and Joker did it in a probationary/rebuilding period when the money/resources weren't being spent on football to the extent they are now. They also did it with little to no name talent from Radcliff, Danville, Louisville who lit it up...there's no excuse for CMS with the resources and talent he has compared to then.

We all love Papaw, but he didn't start winning at even a mediocre clip and getting to bowls until he turned things over to a young passing game coordinator who let it rip.

Brooks was and old defensive guy, but to his credit he backed out of the offense. He allowed Joker, and Randy Sanders to take over...some of the best, most fun, and highest scoring ball this program has ever seen.

Didn't quite have the defense or overall depth and talent to compliment that offense, but it was an era of rebuilding, so it was hard to have everything.

That's the most frustrating thing about the CMS era. He can recruit and build overall depth better than anyone we've had, specifically on D. He and Eddie know run ball too. All he's got left, to finish building a complete well-rounded program is passing offense. Brooks and Joker did it in a probationary/rebuilding period when the money/resources weren't being spent on football to the extent they are now. They also did it with little to no name talent from Radcliff, Danville, Louisville who lit it up...there's no excuse for CMS with the resources and talent he has compared to then.
Not saying CMS doesn’t have some fault, but he’s had a lot of injuries to QBs and, in addition, it seems that we never have great WRs when we have a good QB and vice-versa, or our WRs simply don’t catch the balls that hit them in the hands. Lots of variables go into having a great passing game, and I think we have seen issues in those that go well beyond “CMS can’t develop a passing game”.

I don't know therefore I make no assertions is not equal footing to I don't know, but I'm going to make assertions from circumstantial evidence without confirmation from any reliable sources.

Guess add Tampa bay to the growing list of jobs where he definitely has no interest.

At this point we're running out of NFL teams. Are there any Canadian football teams with openings?

Or....when our devastating probation finally ended.

For all the "let it rip" fans, apparently noone remembers little at RB who was, both statistically and stylistically, one the best rbs we ever had. Not to mention the Terminator who was an all American caliber fb.

Our entire offense was based around running the ball, with our devastating fb leading the way, and play action pass off that.

Also, the key to our passing game was QB coach Randy sanders. Our young OC was out on the town many of those nights. Not as many as he was when when he was hc for sure, but still

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT