ADVERTISEMENT

Titans/ Coen talk

wildcatglenn

All-SEC
Mar 8, 2005
USA
A little talk about coen in Nashville. The Titans are high on the Bengals OC Callahan. The talk is Callahan would bring Coen with him.

He's going to be in a lot of coaching carousel discussions from here on out. CMS and MB need to go ahead and get him a healthy pay bump and maybe make him AHC offense...or something like that.

I'd say CMS has 2 years, maybe 3 max before LC gets an offer he can't refuse. It'll probably be an NFL gig because I think ultimately that's where he wants to be.

I'm not sure about Titans. That's a rebuild. If I were him, I'd probably wait for a solid playoff team.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
He's going to be in a lot of coaching carousel discussions from here on out. CMS and MB need to go ahead and get him a healthy pay bump and maybe make him AHC offense...or something like that.

I'd say CMS has 2 years, maybe 3 max before LC gets an offer he can't refuse. It'll probably be an NFL gig because I think ultimately that's where he wants to be.

I'm not sure about Titans. That's a rebuild. If I were him, I'd probably wait for a solid playoff team.
Absolutely not....

1. Coen didn't have a very good 2023....his side of ball was more of the problem vs. defense. His offense has been a TO fest at times. He was the playcaller forcing balls to Barion and would not coach him up to kiss hit rear end. And felt like we put a player ahead of hte team. And he was part of that decision.
2. He is making 1.7M.....he's paid just in line with top OCs at bigger schools.
3. He had a NFL OC job with the Rams and his mentor McVay....and left come back to college.
4. What is any different with going wtih Titans who may hire an OC as HC vs. McVay/Rams who was the quasi OC as HC. Why leave for the same opportunity you already left.

Finally, at some point...he needs to be loyal to his word. Stoops commented we wanted a few years of this next deal. Coen needs to shut this crap down and stick with UK at the current contract. If he wants to go, move on.

I like Liam, I think he is a good OC but K is right, he had a tough year. But Liam is not nearly seasoned enough to be a head coach. If we go head coach hunting Jon Sumrall would be the first call IMO. He has proven in short order that he can manage a college program and compete at a high level as well as oversee a successful recruiting effort.

None of these coaches come with guarantees but I think Sumrall would be very successful here as the head man.

He does not need a healthy pay bump. He's the 6th highest paid OC in college football.

Absolutely not....

1. Coen didn't have a very good 2023....his side of ball was more of the problem vs. defense. His offense has been a TO fest at times. He was the playcaller forcing balls to Barion and would not coach him up to kiss hit rear end. And felt like we put a player ahead of hte team. And he was part of that decision.
3. He had a NFL OC job with the Rams and his mentor McVay....and left come back to college.
4. What is any different with going wtih Titans who may hire an OC as HC vs. McVay/Rams who was the quasi OC as HC. Why leave for the same opportunity you already left.

Finally, at some point...he needs to be loyal to his word. Stoops commented we wanted a few years of this next deal. Coen needs to shut this crap down and stick with UK at the current contract. If he wants to go, move on.
You do realize the offense scored nearly 10 points more per game this year under Coen than the previous year under Scangerello, right??

Coen called some very innovative plays to get wrs open and put QB in position to be successful with a mediocre to bad OL.

Unfortunately, we whiffed on QB and put too much confidence in a couple of WR who did little to earn all the snaps.

We don’t know how much of that was Coen’s decision or CMS trying to keep players happy.

There is a reason that Coen’s name keeps coming up for bigger and probably better jobs than OC at UK.

Absolutely not....

He does not need a healthy pay bump. He's the 6th highest paid OC in college football.

It's not about what he's worth to other teams, the rest of cfb...it's about what he's worth to this program.

We went 15 years without a QB sniffing 25 TDs...LC has 2 in 2 years. We also haven't had a QB start in the league since Couch.

How many 300 yard games have QBs had between about Hartline and Levis?....not a lot if any.

We also went about that same time frame without QBs, high school, or portal really considering UK. Same could be said for WRs...passing game skill talent in general. Again, LC in two seasons has made this program a destination for said talent.

Make him the highest paid OC tomorrow.

I'm a big Titans and Cat fan.......I've not heard any talk from anywhere about Coen? The scuttle seems to be that the Titans main targets are:

Here is the list of guys who the Titans have reportedly requested to interview so far:

Bengals OC Brian Callahan

Detroit Lions DC Aaron Glenn

Las Vegas interim coach Antonio Pierce

Dallas Cowboys DC Dan Quinn

New York Giants OC Mike Kafka

Lions OC Ben Johnson (Supposedly this is the guy who Ran is most looking forward to interviewing)

Baltimore Ravens DC Mike Macdonald

Houston Texans OC Bobby Slowik

Philadelphia Eagles OC Brian Johnson

Well, so far there have been three head coaching candidates connected to the Tennessee Titans. Immediately after the Vrabel firing, Buck Reising said that he expects Detroit Lions OC Ben Johnson to get "significant interest" from the Titans.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler mentioned that Miami Dolphins OC Frank Smith would be someone to keep an eye on considering his extensive experience in the Kyle Shanahan/Mike McDaniels offenses (which connects him back to Ran Carthon).

Finally, Justin Melo broke the news that the Tennessee Titans will interview Cincinnati Bengals OC Brian Callahan.

Last edited:
You do realize the offense scored nearly 10 points more per game this year under Coen than the previous year under Scangerello, right??

Coen called some very innovative plays to get wrs open and put QB in position to be successful with a mediocre to bad OL.

Unfortunately, we whiffed on QB and put too much confidence in a couple of WR who did little to earn all the snaps.

We don’t know how much of that was Coen’s decision or CMS trying to keep players happy.

There is a reason that Coen’s name keeps coming up for bigger and probably better jobs than OC at UK.
Let's look at stats

1. Scoring offense. 2023 - 56th ranked at 29 pts per game...in 2022 111th and 19pts per game
2. Turnovers per game 2023 - 86th 1.6 per game....in 2022 42 and 1.3 TOs per game

So we scored more but we gave up alot more TOs as well. Also, Barion scored 3 special team TDs and we have 4 defensive TDs last year. Feels like we had less of this for 2022 but I could be wrong.

All that said, I firmly believe Coen is a better OC than Scangerello and we're better for it. But we also re-invented the Oline on the fly, RB adn QB all thru portal. But the man is making 1.7M and that ranks very high by OC standards. If he wants to go to NFL....then so be it and we'll take the hit accordingly. But I don't see him as the next coach for UK. I'd argue our line of scrimmage will be much weaker with him and results would not be a ton better. UK has done the part to make him happy and successful. He needs to be loyal to UK for a few years before I pipe up more money his way.

Let's look at stats

1. Scoring offense. 2023 - 56th ranked at 29 pts per game...in 2022 111th and 19pts per game
2. Turnovers per game 2023 - 86th 1.6 per game....in 2022 42 and 1.3 TOs per game

So we scored more but we gave up alot more TOs as well. Also, Barion scored 3 special team TDs and we have 4 defensive TDs last year. Feels like we had less of this for 2022 but I could be wrong.

All that said, I firmly believe Coen is a better OC than Scangerello and we're better for it. But we also re-invented the Oline on the fly, RB adn QB all thru portal. But the man is making 1.7M and that ranks very high by OC standards. If he wants to go to NFL....then so be it and we'll take the hit accordingly. But I don't see him as the next coach for UK. I'd argue our line of scrimmage will be much weaker with him and results would not be a ton better. UK has done the part to make him happy and successful. He needs to be loyal to UK for a few years before I pipe up more money his way.
So, a 50 PERCENT increase in scoring is offset by .3 more turnovers per game???

Got it.

Coen is not superman, but he is better than any OC CMS has had since Brown left for a HC job.

It takes a special person to even agree to be OC for a defensive minded (and ultra conservative/low risk) coach like CMS.

The OC success is directly influenced by the coaching philosophy of the HC.

So Coen won't follow Syoops to AtM but go to Nasville in the Not For Long club?

Nashville is way better to live than college Station.

And most jobs have some level of expectations. At UK they are a lot lower so he would be safer to stay here, no argument there.

Passing game the last 2 games showed great promise. Play calling/routes were improved. Lining up Dingle at FB then hitting him for a 72 yarder in the bowl was big time. To me what Coen needs to improve on is running game. UK had a 1000 yard rusher but running game was inconsistent. Looking at the RB room there's plenty of questions. Of course, improved OL play would help.

So, a 50 PERCENT increase in scoring is offset by .3 more turnovers per game???

Got it.

Coen is not superman, but he is better than any OC CMS has had since Brown left for a HC job.

It takes a special person to even agree to be OC for a defensive minded (and ultra conservative/low risk) coach like CMS.

The OC success is directly influenced by the coaching philosophy of the HC.
I get your point....52% increase in pts is substantial....but 1.3 to 16 is a 27% increase as well. (And some of that scoring was due to special teams and defensive TDs).

I just wasn't blown away with the offensive output. BIg plays for sure were better but this offense was bad at sustaining drives and driving the ball down the field. I just don't see a reason to pump more money into him when we are going cheap route for Oline coach and other spots.

Y'all are too funny. On the one hand Coen sucked in 2023....but on the other he better not dare be considered for other better jobs!!!!

It is what it is, rather have quality coaches who have rumors about others wanting them than nobodies who couldn't get a job at the HS down the street.

And as always, stop with the petty jealousy about coaches salaries. It ain't their fault they are far more successful and compensated than you, you made your choices just like them. A dollar in Mark Stoops pocket isn't stolen from yours. A dollar in Liam Coen's pocket isn't stolen from yours. It's. Not. Your. Money.

It's not about what he's worth to other teams, the rest of cfb...it's about what he's worth to this program.

We went 15 years without a QB sniffing 25 TDs...LC has 2 in 2 years. We also haven't had a QB start in the league since Couch.

How many 300 yard games have QBs had between about Hartline and Levis?....not a lot if any.

We also went about that same time frame without QBs, high school, or portal really considering UK. Same could be said for WRs...passing game skill talent in general. Again, LC in two seasons has made this program a destination for said talent.

Make him the highest paid OC tomorrow.
I'm not saying Coen doesn't bring value to our program. But we already showed him how much we value him by raising his salary from $775,000 in 2021 to $1.7 million in 2023.

Passing game the last 2 games showed great promise. Play calling/routes were improved. Lining up Dingle at FB then hitting him for a 72 yarder in the bowl was big time. To me what Coen needs to improve on is running game. UK had a 1000 yard rusher but running game was inconsistent. Looking at the RB room there's plenty of questions. Of course, improved OL play would help.
It was mentioned multiple times that Stoops finally let Coen have full control of the offense in the bowl game. He finally was able to do whatever he wanted for the first time and we saw how explosive that offense was. Hopefully, that will continue into next year.

Liam still has a LOT to prove here! I like him a lot but to say he deserves a big raise rn is not accurate. His offense and play calling left a lot on the field this year. I can’t believe how predictable we were at times, especially on 1st downs.
Same here, still a fan of Liam and still believe he will continue to get better. That said was disappointed at times with play calling and execution of our offense. Didn't seem to use the shorter underneath part of the field enough to keep drives going. Got bailed out a lot by Ray Davis making some great individual plays. But he also showed some brilliant moments and innovation that I know he's capable of, just really inconsistent.

I would also add: the issue this year was the jimmy’s and Joe’s not the X’s and O’s. Our best WRs are not complete WRs. Our OL was thin and issues at the interior. Our QB was average in college outside a five game run in 2021.

The only stud on the offense this year was a RB and Barion Brown at times. Coen did well with what he had.

Would make no sense to me for a coach to leave the NFL after one season to go back to college, just to jump back into the NFL again.

If he wanted to be in the NFL I doubt he was getting fired after one season so wouldn’t he have just stayed, but maybe he was going to be who knows.

Kentucky was a few plays away this season from probably losing all their coaches. As another poster mentioned players were open and sometimes wide open in much of our losses and if those plays hit Texas an and M fans prob wouldn’t have lost their shit hiring stoops off another great year.

Who knows, but it’s the off season so have to talk about something. I assume coen is interested in head coaching at the college level at this point or he woulda tried sticking in the NFL.

Didn't Coen promise Stoops 2 years? I think Coen knows the NFL hasn't a lot of long term future....

He promised that last time too. To be fair, these stories talk about teams wanting to interview coen. Nothing about coen actually interviewing.

If he actually interviews with these teams, we might as well chalk him up as a loss. He's great but not worth mass exodus potential every year while he flirts with the next opportunity.

Scang was not as good. However.... He was definitely a very good OC and you had the sense he wanted to be here and enjoyed the change.

Anyone think Tim Couch might be interested in replacing Coen if he bolts? Great relationship with incoming Freshman QB. Think the UGA QB should be OK with a Hall of Fame QB who understands the college and Pro Game and who also would make an unbelievable recruiter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT