ADVERTISEMENT

Titan's Draft pick...What's best for Levis

trueblujr2

All-American
Dec 14, 2005
Do they go for an OL guy? Somebody to protect his blind side? or if Brock Bowers is still available, do you go after him and give Levis a Travis Kelce, George Kittle, Sam LaPorte type TE target. I would think going after Bowers would be the best route and get some experienced protection for Levis through trades or FA. Thoughts?

Left tackle, probably Joe Alt. It’s very difficult to find an upper tier left tackle in free agency. Some teams have been able to trade for one but it’s rare. I think Alt has a high floor and if Titans can have an above average starter there for years then they shouldn’t pass that up.

I could also see them trading back to take another tackle they like better. I don’t watch tape or anything so they’d know better.

Reactions: Kingseve1
From what I hear, OT position is very deep and talented in this year's draft. From what I've seen, there isn't anyone as good as Bowers at TE. I think he'll be top 5 or better TE the day he sets his feet on the field. Would give the Titans/Levis a helluva weapon, for sure. Of course, you've got to get better at protecting him, too. Tough call for TN, imo. Could they get a good OT prospect with their 2nd pick? WR is supposed to be another position with high quality depth in this year's draft. Maybe take OT 1st round and give Levis another weapon in the 2nd? Interesting to see how it works out.

1st - OL and WR need to be addressed this draft......and they need to be addressed early on. We do have Daddy Callahan as the OL coach and Ridley/DHop as WR's......so, we likely have some flexibility.

2nd - Most coaches and analysts say that there isn't as much of a premium for LT over RT anymore. Certainly this is the way it used to be, but most defenses place a premium on rushing from both sides. So, the Alt isn't a must have.

3rd - Callahan has said that getting another threat at the skill positions is as good as getting another OL. He has said this numerous times.

4th - Blue chip players - By almost all accounts, this is a very deep draft....and it's especially deep at the need positions for the Titans. In most drafts there are about 3-5 blue chip prospects, but this yr there is 15-16 depending on who you talk to. Couple this with QB needy teams and it means that the Titans could move down and still get a fantastic talent.

5th - TE - Certainly we don't have a Bowers caliber TE on the roster, but Chig is no slouch. If he's not asked to stay back and help block on the OL, he could easily get 70 catches/700-800 yds....which is top 10 TE category most years. At 24 yrs old he achieved 54 catches for 528 yds and a catch percentage of 71%.....all while being used a large portion of the time staying back and helping the OL.

So, here's what I would do:
-Does Daddy Callahan think that he can do well with someone other than Alt? And how much of a difference does he think there is from Alt to the next guy?

-My thought is to hopefully get Alt at #7 and a WR at #38.

-Trade back -However, if the Titans can trade back just a few picks and still get someone from Alt/Nabors/Odunze, then I would very much entertain this.....especially because we don't have a 3rd rd pick. In fact, this would likely be the dream scenario if Daddy Callahan is confident to fix the line with other guys.

-Bowers - I think he's a great talent, but there are some yellow flags. First, TE's in the draft don't usually hit at a high percentage.......and usually not fairly soon. If you select Bowers and he puts up Kelce/Kittle numbers......>1000 yds and 60-80 rec.....then great, but the odds are that he won't do that. If you're likely, he'll put up top 10 TE numbers......well, you're already close to that with Chig. There is the thought that you can move Bowers and flex him out. There might be some great benefit to that, but it's also possible that it won't go well. He's not as quick as your average WR and will likely have to make a lot of contested catches against NFL DB's. This DOES NOT mean that I wouldn't take him........I just wouldn't take him over guys like Alt/Nabors/Odunze. If we trade back, he'll certainly be in play.

What I think the Titans are thinking: (and I have no basis of information except for what I read/hear)

-I think they want to stay at #7 and get Alt or Nabors......and honestly, I think that Callahan favors Nabors.

-I also think that they are more comfortable trading down a few spots (and still get Alt/Nabors/Odunze/or the 2nd OT) than most of us fans are.

-I also think that they are more comfortable going defense in rd 2 than most of us are.

Reactions: Kingseve1
Titans are in a great spot. They will basically have an opportunity to get the best or at least one of the best players in the draft who maybe a top 3-5 pick in any other draft.

QB heavy draft in a QB crazy era has pushed every other position down.

They're picking #7, and if 4,5,6 QBs go straight up and/or via trades. You look at it like Titans essentially have the #1 pick in the draft. The top WR, OL, DE etc will still be on the board.

They could also trade down and get multiple pieces to build around Will. I'd imagine they're in discussions with the handful of the 10ish teams picking after them who are at least considering a QB.

Again, they could trade back into 13-20 range and still get a top 8-10 caliber guy in addition to other pieces.

Overall, protecting Will is obvious and makes the most sense. However, one of those WRs also make a lot of sense. Will Levis to Odunze, Nabers, Harrison or the TE from UGA...assuming they stay healthy, that's setting up you're franchise for the next decade.

Reactions: K_TIME
Let teams imagine McCarthy and rhe like are nfl QBs in top 5 picks….sit at seven and grab the best Oline and protect Levis

Whether it’s Notre dame , Penn st, Oregon st tackles….pick one snd develop him to protect Will

This isn’t hard….you csnt start a TE with seven pick. Look how many teams develop elite TE nowhere near thet high draft

Reactions: BlueRaider22
If they stay at 7 and don't get an OL, it will be a dumb move IMO. Gotta get one. Bowers is a dumb move also. He is a luxury at this point not a necessity. But, again, this is the Titans. They will probably find a way to mess it up.

With Latham…they must think they can move him to the LT position. He seems to be athletic enough. He’s a big human being.

As of right now, the Titans have a very good looking team for this upcoming season. Their offseason was HUGE, and I think that they are really putting Levis in an good opportunity to be highly successful this year.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
As of right now, the Titans have a very good looking team for this upcoming season. Their offseason was HUGE, and I think that they are really putting Levis in an good opportunity to be highly successful this year.

And they shouldn't be done. They have money to spend during the rest of free agency.

Now, we just have to worry about whether or not the staff can coach......

With Latham…they must think they can move him to the LT position. He seems to be athletic enough. He’s a big human being.

Never say never, but Latham has very heavy feet, he played RT at Bama who had an overweight true frosh playing LT for a reason. Levis better hope he isn't protecting his backside. Not sure who would be better to protect his backside, I just don't think it's Latham.

Never say never, but Latham has very heavy feet, he played RT at Bama who had an overweight true frosh playing LT for a reason. Levis better hope he isn't protecting his backside. Not sure who would be better to protect his backside, I just don't think it's Latham.

Daddy Callahan has moved several RT's to LT.......including Wills at Cleveland and Smith with the Cowboys.

It's also worth noting that the Titans have money left over for the rest of free agency......and they we're already talking to guys like Andrus Peat (who has played every spot along the line including LT) before the draft.

Daddy Callahan has moved several RT's to LT.......including Wills at Cleveland and Smith with the Cowboys.

It's also worth noting that the Titans have money left over for the rest of free agency......and they we're already talking to guys like Andrus Peat (who has played every spot along the line including LT) before the draft.

After watching him multiple games he can't stop a speed rusher without holding him or help. Of course if it isn't called he isn't bad, but Mich abused him in the playoffs. He was completely blown up on Bama's final play and took any chance of it being successful away. If he is backside protection Levis better wear two protectors.

I thought he had heavy feet as well

He just does not glide like an OLT needs to be able to do

After watching him multiple games he can't stop a speed rusher without holding him or help. Of course if it isn't called he isn't bad, but Mich abused him in the playoffs. He was completely blown up on Bama's final play and took any chance of it being successful away. If he is backside protection Levis better wear two protectors.

Multiple analysts......including guys like Kiper.....have said that Latham was darn near perfect for the Mich game and that the issue was from poor play from the rest of the line......including the final play.

But I'm with you. I'm not perfectly convinced he will excel at LT, but Daddy Callahan is a HOF caliber OL coach and had Latham's name on his list.

Reactions: maroon79
Multiple analysts......including guys like Kiper.....have said that Latham was darn near perfect for the Mich game and that the issue was from poor play from the rest of the line......including the final play.

But I'm with you. I'm not perfectly convinced he will excel at LT, but Daddy Callahan is a HOF caliber OL coach and had Latham's name on his list.

Kiper doesn't sound like he watch the game. He may turn into all pro LT, but not before dropping 50 or so lbs and being able to move his feet.

let's be fair...
Alt going to San Diego screwed up the titans at #7

Latham....we'll see. But I'd have picked the Penn St tackle before Latham....I'd not seen enough of Oregon St tackle to argue him as well.

But if Latham can't hold down LT.....Titans spent some heavy draft capital on another run blocker but not pass blocker...which is what they need.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT