ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on newcomers, injuries, and PFF grades. Any opinions?

PersianCat387

Sophomore
Aug 18, 2007
Lexington
Hi folks, like many of you, I have been salivating for the season to start. Yesterday wasn't an ideal performance, but there was still some good flashes and hopefully if things gel and players come together a bit more this could be a special year, with hopefully a 5-0 start that gets us some national attention going into the UGA game. I know many of your watch the games closer or with a more discerning football eye than I do, and I wanted to hear your thoughts on a few things I've noticed before and after the game.

1. Saw that Keeshawn Silver graded out well (~70), and I was impressed with him an athletic specimen. There were a few plays that resulted in pressures or run disruptions where I saw him manhandle and literally toss aside his blocker. Looks that the man really does have 5* talent, just need to stay consistent and dialed in. Overall was really happy with how the D-Line is coming along. Seeing 6 or so guys rotate through consistently, all of them displaying some athletic "juice" at different points was very inspiring.

2. Does it look like we might get anything from our big transfers from the state of Ohio? In reference to Darrion Henry-Young and JQ Hardaway. Saw they both got a bunch of snaps, 18 & 30 respectively, but still didn't really see anything that stood out to me which PFF ratings also seem to corroborate. Hoping they can become solid depth at some point. Jantez Dunn also got zero snaps. Hurt or another non-factor like Luke Fulton from last year?

3. Was sad to see so few snaps for Ramon Jefferson and Jordan Dingle. But is it correct that Ramon was just cleared a week or two ago and Jordan has been banged up all camp? So is this mostly guys being eased in?

4. While I have no qualms about McClain being another option for passing downs, do we really think he is going to remain the 2nd option at RB? It has been years now and I have never seen anything special from him as a runner, neither speed or shiftiness, he definitely doesn't have power. If Davis needs a spell and with Wright lost for the year, I really hope that Jefferson and Sumo-Karngbaye show us something. It makes sense they didn't see much action in the first game as I think Stoops has to play the 1s a good amount to get them to gel. (The new realities of the Portal Era for everyone I think) I am fairly certain that EKU and Akron are going to be much more obvious "warm-up" games than Ball State was. Not much to say about our man Ray as he was great. An exciting, shifty running style with a little less size and a little more speed than CROD, and now that he is running behind a better line than at Vandy, some good things should happen.

5. Was really hoping today would be the day we saw Izayah Cummings start to look like his old self, but still no flashes yet. There was only one TE reception all day, but with Leary supposedly being excellent at reads, I hope we will see them involved much more when it matters. Want to see some catches like the '21 UT game or that awesome play Cohen used to dial up with Cummings as the lead block on end-around sweeps.

6. First real action for Noah Matthews, Tyresee Fearby, and Ty Brant (who I am excited about). Hopefully some of these guys will flash and become players. Sad to see that Luke Fulton has not been able become a part of the rotation after a year or two in the program. Highly rated but hasn't made a splash at either school he's been at so far. Martez Thrower looks a little bigger this year and is finally starting to get solid backup minutes, hopefully that means he is coming along and becoming more trusted. Was surprised at how little Daveren Rayner played given the nature of the blowout. He might be another guy who sees his snaps go way up in weeks 2 and 3.

7. At WR, Porter and Brown-Stephens were out there a bit for us, hopefully they get chances to catch balls from Leary or Sheron in week 2. Brandon White as well, who I did not see at all.

8. At this point is it safe to say that Jordan Robinson is no longer a threat to break into the rotation at DB? 2nd year with the program and has only seen minor action. Him and Dunn both had no snaps it seems. Still has a few years left, it would be good to know if he can provide depth or not. Was hoping he's be another Lonnie Johnson or Chris Westry. In hindsight, I guess it makes you see how special those guys were.

9. I wonder what Coach Stoops and Coach White think about the new clock rules? I feel like Coach Stoops would lead towards those being an advantage for us, given the already grindy playstyle we play, but conversely there is a risk in having less time to come from behind and we are not a team adept at fast starts to begin with. I do feel better running two minute drills with someone like Leary as our QB long term.

10. From what I could see, Marques Cox looked the part all day, I'm not an expert on run blocking, but did see him have his fair share of easy wins (takedowns, pushing guys completely out of the play) in pass pro. Ford got 10 snaps (grade same as Flax ~58) and Tanner Bowles got zero. The new starting five need time to gel, but hopefully those two can prove to be real rotation guys in weeks two and three.

11. Seems like a silly thing to be worried about, but is there any concern that Barion Brown hasn't come along much as a receiver after the off-season? Last year it was easy to write off his lack of ball skills, inability to make people miss on screens, and fighting for/adjusting to balls in the air to being a freshman. But a year later and I don't see much improvement. He is an amazing returner and his pure talent makes him valuable as a receiver, but I am not seeing much of an improvement in Barion Brown the football player. Maybe he was just that raw last year and it will take more time, but I was very unimpressed by how lifeless he looked on his long ball opportunities, while also being confused about why we don't try move crossing or out patterns with him instead. Can he not get off the line or run routes well?

12. I'm not worried about the lack of backup QB appearances in week 1, honestly the time is needed for Leary and the current starters, with many new faces amongst the starters in key roles. I will be concerned if we don't jump all over EKU and Akron in the 1st half of those games, allowing Sheron and Wade to get their chances to throw to all the young receivers and get some reps in the 3rd and 4th quarters. This is finally the time the schedule lines up well for this.

Would love to hear what you saw when watching some of these folks in week 1!

Thanks.

My impressions of the O and Leary in particular are as follows-

-A LOT of the incompletions he had early were due to drops and pressure. One sure touchdown was tipped at the line while he had a defender in his face and then at his feet. Some were just timing. He had people open on some plays but, because of pressure or timing in progressions, couldn't see them before the ball had to come out.

Barion-

-He was not completing his routes properly on a lot of deeper patterns. Part of it was because he was being held or impeded on those plays, and it wasn't called once that I remember. He will have to learn to "let the penalty occur" (fall down under the DB) when the defender makes body contact or holds or else EVERYONE will continue to do it. On two plays he was held early (so the defender could keep up) and then prevented from turning inside by the defender (who never looked back for the ball) who got in his way similar to what Childress did to get his INT that was made into PI. Difference is that Childress got his head around on the play, and shouldn't have had that called if the BSU DBs were given the leeway they were given all game.

Tight end involvement-
In order for our TEs to be used to greatest effect, our line has to play well enough that the TEs aren't required to block on pass plays. Late in the game things started to open up for them, but it needs to happen sooner. Sounds familiar saying that

I think overall we more vanilla than we will be against better opponents, as you would expect. Very sloppy game in many aspects, so I have hope that THIS was the poor performance we usually see later in the season.

Hi folks, like many of you, I have been salivating for the season to start. Yesterday wasn't an ideal performance, but there was still some good flashes and hopefully if things gel and players come together a bit more this could be a special year, with hopefully a 5-0 start that gets us some national attention going into the UGA game. I know many of your watch the games closer or with a more discerning football eye than I do, and I wanted to hear your thoughts on a few things I've noticed before and after the game.

1. Saw that Keeshawn Silver graded out well (~70), and I was impressed with him an athletic specimen. There were a few plays that resulted in pressures or run disruptions where I saw him manhandle and literally toss aside his blocker. Looks that the man really does have 5* talent, just need to stay consistent and dialed in. Overall was really happy with how the D-Line is coming along. Seeing 6 or so guys rotate through consistently, all of them displaying some athletic "juice" at different points was very inspiring.

2. Does it look like we might get anything from our big transfers from the state of Ohio? In reference to Darrion Henry-Young and JQ Hardaway. Saw they both got a bunch of snaps, 18 & 30 respectively, but still didn't really see anything that stood out to me which PFF ratings also seem to corroborate. Hoping they can become solid depth at some point. Jantez Dunn also got zero snaps. Hurt or another non-factor like Luke Fulton from last year?

3. Was sad to see so few snaps for Ramon Jefferson and Jordan Dingle. But is it correct that Ramon was just cleared a week or two ago and Jordan has been banged up all camp? So is this mostly guys being eased in?

4. While I have no qualms about McClain being another option for passing downs, do we really think he is going to remain the 2nd option at RB? It has been years now and I have never seen anything special from him as a runner, neither speed or shiftiness, he definitely doesn't have power. If Davis needs a spell and with Wright lost for the year, I really hope that Jefferson and Sumo-Karngbaye show us something. It makes sense they didn't see much action in the first game as I think Stoops has to play the 1s a good amount to get them to gel. (The new realities of the Portal Era for everyone I think) I am fairly certain that EKU and Akron are going to be much more obvious "warm-up" games than Ball State was. Not much to say about our man Ray as he was great. An exciting, shifty running style with a little less size and a little more speed than CROD, and now that he is running behind a better line than at Vandy, some good things should happen.

5. Was really hoping today would be the day we saw Izayah Cummings start to look like his old self, but still no flashes yet. There was only one TE reception all day, but with Leary supposedly being excellent at reads, I hope we will see them involved much more when it matters. Want to see some catches like the '21 UT game or that awesome play Cohen used to dial up with Cummings as the lead block on end-around sweeps.

6. First real action for Noah Matthews, Tyresee Fearby, and Ty Brant (who I am excited about). Hopefully some of these guys will flash and become players. Sad to see that Luke Fulton has not been able become a part of the rotation after a year or two in the program. Highly rated but hasn't made a splash at either school he's been at so far. Martez Thrower looks a little bigger this year and is finally starting to get solid backup minutes, hopefully that means he is coming along and becoming more trusted. Was surprised at how little Daveren Rayner played given the nature of the blowout. He might be another guy who sees his snaps go way up in weeks 2 and 3.

7. At WR, Porter and Brown-Stephens were out there a bit for us, hopefully they get chances to catch balls from Leary or Sheron in week 2. Brandon White as well, who I did not see at all.

8. At this point is it safe to say that Jordan Robinson is no longer a threat to break into the rotation at DB? 2nd year with the program and has only seen minor action. Him and Dunn both had no snaps it seems. Still has a few years left, it would be good to know if he can provide depth or not. Was hoping he's be another Lonnie Johnson or Chris Westry. In hindsight, I guess it makes you see how special those guys were.

9. I wonder what Coach Stoops and Coach White think about the new clock rules? I feel like Coach Stoops would lead towards those being an advantage for us, given the already grindy playstyle we play, but conversely there is a risk in having less time to come from behind and we are not a team adept at fast starts to begin with. I do feel better running two minute drills with someone like Leary as our QB long term.

10. From what I could see, Marques Cox looked the part all day, I'm not an expert on run blocking, but did see him have his fair share of easy wins (takedowns, pushing guys completely out of the play) in pass pro. Ford got 10 snaps (grade same as Flax ~58) and Tanner Bowles got zero. The new starting five need time to gel, but hopefully those two can prove to be real rotation guys in weeks two and three.

11. Seems like a silly thing to be worried about, but is there any concern that Barion Brown hasn't come along much as a receiver after the off-season? Last year it was easy to write off his lack of ball skills, inability to make people miss on screens, and fighting for/adjusting to balls in the air to being a freshman. But a year later and I don't see much improvement. He is an amazing returner and his pure talent makes him valuable as a receiver, but I am not seeing much of an improvement in Barion Brown the football player. Maybe he was just that raw last year and it will take more time, but I was very unimpressed by how lifeless he looked on his long ball opportunities, while also being confused about why we don't try move crossing or out patterns with him instead. Can he not get off the line or run routes well?

12. I'm not worried about the lack of backup QB appearances in week 1, honestly the time is needed for Leary and the current starters, with many new faces amongst the starters in key roles. I will be concerned if we don't jump all over EKU and Akron in the 1st half of those games, allowing Sheron and Wade to get their chances to throw to all the young receivers and get some reps in the 3rd and 4th quarters. This is finally the time the schedule lines up well for this.

Thanks.
Is Wright lost for the year? I missed that. Where's Wilcox?

Reactions: PersianCat387
I have also been concerned about Barion not being able to get seperation. Hopefully it has a lot to do with DBs holding and Barion figuring out how to deal with that, as Girthang said.

I have also been concerned about Barion not being able to get seperation. Hopefully it has a lot to do with DBs holding and Barion figuring out how to deal with that, as Girthang said.
Ball State held, shoved, interfered, and did everything except kick our receivers in the dick. Totally unwilling to just get beaten for a big TD, understandably, but we need to make sure we're getting those calls like Girthang said. It was ridiculous.

Silver looked like a great addition.

Ray Davis looked good.

Dylan Ray did a nice job for Horsey.

Devan Wallace is a beast.

Hairston looked great.

They were very vanilla on offense and defense.

OL must improve but suspect they will. Even the 2021 OL looked eh in their first game against a terrible Louisiana Monroe team. They gave up four sacks and CRod didn't do any better than Davis. Can't judge much based on one game.

I admit being duped into thinking this would shorten game times when it appears to just allow more commercials in the same long time frame.

It still does reduce the number of plays which should somewhat favor the weaker, less deep teams. I'm good with that outcome. There's still plenty of plays to watch.

Reactions: PersianCat387
Silver looked like a great addition.

Ray Davis looked good.

Dylan Ray did a nice job for Horsey.

Devan Wallace is a beast.

Hairston looked great.

They were very vanilla on offense and defense.

OL must improve but suspect they will. Even the 2021 OL looked eh in their first game against a terrible Louisiana Monroe team. They gave up four sacks and CRod didn't do any better than Davis. Can't judge much based on one game.
Let me add, really like the new kicker Alex Raynor. Also blocking on the kickoff return was perfection. New special teams coach is bringing it. Special teams will win us at least one game this year.

OL played well but not great

Ball st refused to give up deep balls which is why the middle of the field stayed open

Cummings was given a shot at a pretty tough catch and didn't haul it in. There weren't enough snaps on O to get everyone involved.

Davis looked really good. He's the wide zone back the staff was looking for. Great job patiently pressing the hole then so many backside cutbacks.

ST greatly improved

I admit being duped into thinking this would shorten game times when it appears to just allow more commercials in the same long time frame.
Well, I checked at halftime.... 30 minutes of football (65 plays) crammed into an hour and 44 minutes. (not counting halftime)

30 minutes of FB and 74 minutes of something else. Not a good product.

UK is the only FB I watch live anymore.

Is Wright lost for the year? I missed that. Where's Wilcox?

Some folks on here were saying that he was trying to avoid surgery for whatever his ailment was but it looks like surgery will have to be the solution.
and, yes, Wright done for the year

Wilcox...... Van Hiles said (not that he knows this situation but just generally) some freshmen come in ready to be professional and develop and some... well, they aren't ready to do that on the first step onto campus.

Big step up from HS to SEC, big learning curve in a lot of areas.

Reactions: jauk11
It’s the first game. Or are you talking about last year too?
Sosa, I meant generally speaking. I guess we are just being vanilla but I feel like there weren't many attempts to play to Barion's strengths of running in space within the scheme yesterday. I will have to eat some of my criticisms of him from last year, because when I just watched his '22 highlight tape, I realized the man has quite the game against UGA. (I missed that for a family commitment) I only remember his louisville end zone grab as an impressive "adjust in the air" catch. I guess I just have really high hopes for him. Not everyone can have Dane's hands but I really want the pair of them to help UK make a splash in the SEC this year.

OL played well but not great

Ball st refused to give up deep balls which is why the middle of the field stayed open

Cummings was given a shot at a pretty tough catch and didn't haul it in. There weren't enough snaps on O to get everyone involved.

Davis looked really good. He's the wide zone back the staff was looking for. Great job patiently pressing the hole then so many backside cutbacks.

ST greatly improved
Yeah, I loved the way CRod would make the first read and then go about pulverizing people downhill, but Davis making those cuts and then applying a little speed looks pretty damn cool on film too.

Thanks.

1. Keeshawn Silver is still getting in shape. he is big, and does have talent. Playing next to Deone Walker helps since Walker often draws double-teams. Silver still has multiple years of eligibility, so the future is bright.

2. Henry-Young made an adjustment to a new system when he got here. He outgrew the OLB positions and had to learn to play with his hand down. He is a junior now and flirting with the playing rotation. I believe he will contribute. Hardaway is a sophomore with limited college playing experience. In time, Hardaway will be a very good player. Dunn is also a sophomore with limited playing experience, and not as big as Hardaway. IDK how much playing time Dunn can carve out.

3. With the quality depth we have, Jordan Dingle will have trouble getting more playing opportunities until he improves as a blocker. There is no problem with his receiving skills. But Khamari Anderson and Izayah Cummings are excellent receivers. Kattus and Bates are more effective blockers than Dingle. Ramon Jefferson has a new RB coach and a new OC. I expect Jefferson to play a lot this season. But he was hurt on his first rush of 2022, and has some rust to shake off. Jefferson threw a fantastic block on Barion Brown's kickoff return.

4. Jutahn McClain is averaging 4.5 yards/carry during his UK career. He is a good receiver and a willing blocker. I don't get what the problem is. Our coaches know he is a good football player, so he will play. But Ray Davis is the workhorse in the room.

5. Not to worry. Coach Coen showed very little of his playbook on Saturday. It was our opener.

6. Martez Thrower has huge legs and a solid base. Just needed time. Matthews and Fearbry are competing for a backup role at Jack LB but Keaton Wade will get most of those snaps. Ty Bryant is the most underrated player in our 2023 recruiting class.

7. I am not sold on all of our depth at WR yet, but Porter and AB are for real.

8. No, not safe to say. This was the opener. Robinson is probably more of a nickel than an edge player. Dunn probably ends up back at S.

9. Every team plays by the same rules.

10. There were some opening game miscues, but run blocking was mostly solid. Pass blocking was better on the left side of our OL than on the right side. Marques Cox and Jaden Burton played well. Dylan Ray's play was reassuring. But losing Horsey hurts.

11. Did you see Barion's kickoff return? The guy is a game changer. Devin Leary made some throws into coverage and didn't always find the open receiver. That's rust. Leary missed the latter half of the 2022 season. Again, this was the opener, and Coach Coen showed little of his play book.

12. The objectives in the EKU and Akron games will be to get looks at younger players, work on our passing game, avoid injuries, and keep Coach Coen's play book under wraps. We will win both games comfortably, but no purpose is served by piling on EKU and Akron while giving Vandy and FL coaches a bunch of good game film to break down.

Last edited:
1. Keeshawn Silver is still getting in shape. he is big, and does have talent. Playing next to Deone Walker helps since Walker often draws double-teams. Silver still has multiple years of eligibility, so the future is bright.

2. Henry-Young made an adjustment to a new system when he got here. He outgrew the OLB positions and had to learn to play with his hand down. He is a junior now and flirting with the playing rotation. I believe he will contribute. Hardaway is a sophomore with limited college playing experience. In time, Hardaway will be a very good player. Dunn is also a sophomore with limited playing experience, and not as big as Hardaway. IDK how much playing time Dunn can carve out.

3. With the quality depth we have, Jordan Dingle will have trouble getting more playing opportunities until he improves as a blocker. There is no problem with his receiving skills. But Khamari Anderson and Izayah Cummings are excellent receivers. Kattus and Bates are more effective blockers than Dingle. Ramon Jefferson has a new RB coach and a new OC. I expect Jefferson to play a lot this season. But he was hurt on his first rush of 2022, and has some rust to shake off. Jefferson threw a fantastic block on Barion Brown's kickoff return.

4. Jutahn McClain is averaging 4.5 yards/carry during his UK career. He is a good receiver and a willing blocker. I don't get what the problem is. Our coaches know he is a good football player, so he will play. But Ray Davis is the workhorse in the room.

5. Not to worry. Coach Coen showed very little of his playbook on Saturday. It was our opener.

6. Martez Thrower has huge legs and a solid base. Just needed time. Matthews and Fearbry are competing for a backup role at Jack LB but Keaton Wade will get most of those snaps. Ty Bryant is the most underrated player in our 2023 recruiting class.

7. I am not sold on all of our depth at WR yet, but Porter and AB are for real.

8. No, not safe to say. This was the opener. Robinson is probably more of a nickel than an edge player. Dunn probably ends up back at S.

9. Every team plays by the same rules.

10. There were some opening game miscues, but run blocking was mostly solid. Pass blocking was better on the left side of our OL than on the right side. Marques Cox and Jaden Burton played well. Dylan Ray's play was reassuring. But losing Horsey hurts.

11. Did you see Barion's kickoff return? The guy is a game changer. Devin Leary made some throws into coverage and didn't always find the open receiver. That's rust. Leary missed the latter half of the 2022 season. Again, this was the opener, and Coach Coen showed little of his play book.

12. The objectives in the EKU and Akron games will be to get looks at younger players, work on our passing game, avoid injuries, and keep Coach Coen's play book under wraps. We will win both games comfortably, but no purpose is served by piling on EKU and Akron while giving Vandy and FL coaches a bunch of good game film to break down.

Just wanted to say thanks. This is the quality content I come here for.

Reactions: jauk11

Thanks.
Saw an article that had our 10 best graded offensive players and 10 best graded defensive players against Ball St. On defense in order of grade was Afari, Hairston, Geiger, Dinkins, Silver, Wallace, Walker, Hayes, Bryant and Phillips. On offense in order of grade was Key, Kangbaye, Davis, Robinson, Horsey, Ray, McClain, Bates, M. Cox and Flax.

Was surprised to see that M. Cox and Flax was only about a point apart.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT