ADVERTISEMENT

Thon Maker update

I could care less about him . WE Tai W. who will be here in the december , we don't need 2 bigs joining at that time . Also Tai will be here 1.5 -2.5 years whereas Maker will be here maybe 5 months.
Basically, I predict every assumption in your post will be proven wrong. You can't judge Maker's talent from 1 ASG where he didn't play much. Maker is a better player than he showed at the Nike Hoops Summit, and will become a consequential player and an NBA 1st round draft choice. He just didn't get much of a chance to play in the Nike game, and didn't touch the basketball very many times. He needs to get stronger. He is raw in some ways, just like every other player in the class not named Labissiere, Briscoe, Diallo, or Simmons. But almost all high school players have room for improvement. I doubt Wynyard will play next year. I hope not, because Calipari says we are a players first program. That means you don't use a promising young player for 1 semester just to fill out your roster after he has missed preseason practice and fallen behind the other players. I don't think Wynyard could help us much for 1 semester next year, and I disagree with you about his career path too. Wynyard may be in Lexington for 3 years. He is strong, and he already has a nice drop step move. But he will need several years to fill out his game and become a good defender. He is still much rawer than the other headline players in our program.

I know many disagree but I've always thought Maker had a ton of talent and would love to see him here.

I know many disagree but I've always thought Maker had a ton of talent and would love to see him here.

For a full season or season an a half? Absolutely. He isn't what folks expected but he'll be a very good defender and rebounder at the college level with time to adapt, and his jumper is good for a guy that size.

He's a first round pick based on talent and potential alone, the problem is that talent and potential would almost force you to play him even if he showed up at Christmas, but that disrupts any team good enough to be a contender.

Geez...he hasn't played one minute of D1 hoops, is a top 10 (or so) ranked recruit by the people that watch these kids play for a living, and is likely to play at least a year and a half in college.

Not that all of you are doing so, but how can anyone call Thon Maker "a bust" at this point?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT