ADVERTISEMENT

Thon Maker update

JFCats22

All-American
Feb 3, 2015
I think Cal is done recruiting him.

@jeffborzello: Thon Maker's guardian tells ESPN that they're in most contact with Indiana and Arizona State.

Won't enroll in college until at least Dec.

Very intriguing player but too much baggage for a short stay anyway imo.

Reactions: jte123
Can't remember anyone with more hype that ultimately fizzled out before he even made it on campus. It's odd that a group so hell-bent on preparing this kid and his brand for the big time has done such a terrible job.

Can't remember anyone with more hype that ultimately fizzled out before he even made it on campus. It's odd that a group so hell-bent on preparing this kid and his brand for the big time has done such a terrible job.
Renardo Sidney.

Seventh Woods is close.

Quincy Miller is another one that comes to mind. At one time he was higher on UKs list than Anthony Davis. By the beginning of his senior season not even UofL wanted to deal with him. He spent one disappointing year at Baylor and I guess he's on an NBA team somewhere now.

Quincy Miller is another one that comes to mind. At one time he was higher on UKs list than Anthony Davis. By the beginning of his senior season not even UofL wanted to deal with him. He spent one disappointing year at Baylor and I guess he's on an NBA team somewhere now.

Definitely, but Maker was this internet sensation at age 14 who was going to revolutionize basketball or something. And it's like everyone was on board until close to the end when he suddenly just didn't seem to have become what everyone expected. He's like Ater Majok in reverse.

I will never crictize Dave Kersey again, he was right on the money about Maker. Highlight videos mean nothing.

Definitely, but Maker was this internet sensation at age 14 who was going to revolutionize basketball or something. And it's like everyone was on board until close to the end when he suddenly just didn't seem to have become what everyone expected. He's like Ater Majok in reverse.

Majok. What a blast from the past. I should have learned my lesson about investing too much emotional energy into the next big thing.

As far as internet sensations go, Woods is probably comparable although admittedly a notch (or several notches) below Maker. Maker was the "7-foot Kevin Durant" and he is clearly not that. But at the same time he is still ranked top-10 in most every ranking.

As far as internet sensations go, Woods is probably comparable although admittedly a notch (or several notches) below Maker. Maker was the "7-foot Kevin Durant" and he is clearly not that. But at the same time he is still ranked top-10 in most every ranking.

Based on potential. His handler will push him to the NBA as fast as he can and the kid needs to develop, but I don't think he will have a chance.

My buddy, who's a big Louisville fan btw thinks Maker's gonna be the best big in this class, and that he's the next great big in the NBA. Personally I disagree. I mean Maker's going to be alright in college, but I don't see him as anything too special in the NBA.

@jeffborzello: Thon Maker's guardian tells ESPN that they're in most contact with Indiana and Arizona State.

So, Bobby Hurley might roll the dice on him... and we'd see him in Rupp on 12-12.

My buddy, who's a big Louisville fan btw thinks Maker's gonna be the best big in this class, and that he's the next great big in the NBA. Personally I disagree. I mean Maker's going to be alright in college, but I don't see him as anything too special in the NBA.
It might just be one bad game. That is entirely possible. But it was a REALLY bad game for Maker. Just show this box score to your UofL friend

CCWH_woUsAEW0K2.jpg

The best player in the class shouldn't go 0-5 and eek out 2 pts in an all-star game. I think Maker has a chance to develop given the right circumstances. But anyone making grand pronouncements about Maker being great is likely just relying on youtube videos.

It might just be one bad game. That is entirely possible. But it was a REALLY bad game for Maker. Just show this box score to your UofL friend

CCWH_woUsAEW0K2.jpg

The best player in the class shouldn't go 0-5 and eek out 2 pts in an all-star game. I think Maker has a chance to develop given the right circumstances. But anyone making grand pronouncements about Maker being great is likely just relying on youtube videos.

It is not a good stat line...at all.
However, that stat line shows him with 10 rebounds in 14 minutes. By far the best rebounding numbers of any big that night. Shooting 0-5 is weak sauce, but isn't shooting supposed to be his strength?

It is not a good stat line...at all.
However, that stat line shows him with 10 rebounds in 14 minutes. By far the best rebounding numbers of any big that night. Shooting 0-5 is weak sauce, but isn't shooting supposed to be his strength?
5 of the rebounds were on the offensive end, probably off of his own miss. But that is still a very good number for the minutes he played.

But like you said, shooting is supposed to be his strength, yet he was 0-5. That can happen, even to great shooters, so it's not the end of the discussion. It just seems evident that if someone is going to argue that Maker is the best player in this class, then they would need to have something to base that on.... and the evidence is currently very lacking.

CCWH_woUsAEW0K2.jpg

Forget Maker, looking at the stats for the game just reminds me how much I want Murray and how much I appreciate having Labissiere and Briscoe on this squad.

This team could be very fun to watch next season with that trio on the floor together.

Forget Maker, looking at the stats for the game just reminds me how much I want Murray and how much I appreciate having Labissiere and Briscoe on this squad.

This team could be very fun to watch next season with that trio on the floor together.

^^^Yep. The thought of that definitely puts a smile on my face. :)

This is me not simply being a homer here. You should NEVER listen to what a Louisville fan says regarding evaluating talent. They live in their own bubble when it comes to that stuff. Part of it is because Pitino doesn't do well with elite talent and therefore never lands any. Because of that they have to coach up lower rated guys with not much NBA ceiling. This has made them blind to what NBA talent really is.

Well it's a good thing that IU just got through creaning some guys earlier, told you guys he was making room for somebody.

To the IU troll in the thread, how sad is it when the biggest highlight of a former blueblood program in the last 13 years is a buzzer beater in a December game? To a team you would go on to be eliminated by in the NCAA tournament, in fact. It's flattering in a way that you put us on such a pedestal. And serious question, were you even alive the last time Irrelevant U won a National Championship. Do you find yourself digging through your closet on particularly lonely nights, dusting off the BETA tapes of the 87 title game, lying awake on the couch, struggling to fight the tears as you reminisce back on what it was like for your team to matter?

Reactions: Uk1111

I'm sure your buddy just watched his mix tape and hasn't seen anything else on him. Typical UL fan knowledge! If one only watches his mix tape then I'm sure they would think the same thing. Maker looks incredible on there but we've all seen him enough to know that its all a bunch of hype with Maker. Sure, I'd take him for the 2nd half of the semester just to have him when we needed another big but I'm sure as hell not losing sleep over not getting him. I can't remember if I've ever said that about a 5 star recruit before, I don't think I ever have felt so "MEH!" about a player ranked so highly.

When Kansas and Kentucky aren't in contact as much but Indiana and Kansas State are, all indications are its because the powerhouses have chosen to back off.

Agreed. Too much trouble for not enough benefit. Have to think it's asu since they could use a splash. But they'll basically be giving the keys of the program over to his people.

Very intriguing player but too much baggage for a short stay anyway imo.
What baggage? It's a business decision for all parties. Labissiere got the best of Maker in a couple of ASG scrimmages. Labissiere will be at UK for preseason workouts and practices. Maker doesn't want to arrive in December and then sit while Labissiere plays ahead of him. Has nothing to do with baggage.

Ivan Renko. I mean, the guy did zero.

I think we can all agree that the moral to the story is this:

Guys with really cool names make horrible basketball players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT