ADVERTISEMENT

This thing about we need ELITE players

We still need a couple studs, spin it however you want. I will say I don't believe Pope's style is going to be as reliant on elite players as he does a lot more coaching than just "go make a play and be better than the guy in front of you", but we still need dudes. I like the roster he's putting together, but don't talk yourself into believing we don't need some studs.

They all played AAU ball.
Yea, but the portal players have played college ball and been coached by college coaches. I will take more experience and proven stats over some discretionary rating every time. Just look at our stellar Freshman last year, you can argue 3 we're average at best.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Six members of that team went to the NBA. Sheppard, Padgett, Mohammed, Turner, Magloire, and Bradley.
In COLLEGE, who on that team was elite ? Check their stats against the stats of guys we have THIS year. Did any of those listed above make All American team ? They won because they was a TEAM. And what IF everyone on this team IMPROVES on what they did last year ? Not a huge jump, just improve. This can be a very good team, you can't accurately predict or know with the unknown. The key to success is not going be decided based on individual talent of each player coming in, it will be successful if they come together and gel as a team.

On that 98 team, you had 6 guys who averaged between 9-14 points per game, three players who averaged between 5-7 rebounds per game. Padgett was the only great free throw shooter at 85%, Sheppard was 70% was second. Padgett, Sheppard, and Turner all shot around 37% from 3, Turner on only 1.5 per game shooting. None where elite shooters, and it was a bad free throw shooting team as evidenced by Sheppard at 70% being the second best. What they was is a unit that played smart, and played hard. Hmm, looks a lot like this years team coming in. Except this team have a lot of better, proven shooters and some guys who have averaged 8-10 rebounds. This coming team has scorers, defenders, and glue guys, do not under estimate them based off of you have never watched them play before now. KK has played on elite teams against the best of the best and proved he can play.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
I agree but every team that wins, has stud players. At least at the college level. I hope we end up with a couple.
UConn starters were ranked in the 90s coming out of HS.

I think this supports the idea that there's very little difference among players for raw skill. Players make themselves better through effort and humane coaching.

I feel like some of us are talking past each other to an extent here. The confusion is understandable after Cal’s tenure, but “elite talent” isn’t necessarily a synonym for “5 star freshmen”, it’s just top level college players who are capable of being All-SEC if not All-American performers. Think guys like Mark Sears or Dalton Knecht for recent examples who weren’t 5 star freshmen. You need at least 1-2 of those to contend for championships most years, and although we haven’t signed any bad players, I think it’s a reasonable take to doubt that we have anyone on that level as the roster currently stands.
Yep. People like building strawmen.

Okay guys....transfer portal guys are not the NBA ready kids you seem to be wanting...or they wouldn't be transfer guys. This starting to hand wring about who we get is KIND of one of the reasons we are where we are.

Watching guys get better is a fun part of the game....and NO one knows how a guy that say dominated at North Florida or Samford is gonna do night in and out with a UK schedule.

Relax, say thanks And enjoy the NIL to the guys that are coming. And see what happens.
This is not true. Just because these kids transfer, doesn't mean that none of these kids have NBA talent.

Secondly, by your own statements, Kentucky might as well "bring it in" because there is no need to even play the games since none of these kids have that kind of talent.

Thirdly, a lot of the gripe with the fanbase is wanting elite-type players that are playmakers who can create shots for themselves and for their teammates. We don't really have these types of guys currently on the roster. Therefore, I'm not sure your argument with elite guys verses NBA ready talent.

This is not true. Just because these kids transfer, doesn't mean that none of these kids have NBA talent.

Secondly, by your own statements, Kentucky might as well "bring it in" because there is no need to even play the games since none of these kids have that kind of talent.

Thirdly, a lot of the gripe with the fanbase is wanting elite-type players that are playmakers who can create shots for themselves and for their teammates. We don't really have these types of guys currently on the roster. Therefore, I'm not sure your argument with elite guys verses NBA ready talent.
This is another guy who thinks elite talent=5 star freshmen. Which gives them time to pine back to the good ol' days.

Reactions: W1LDCAT22
As History has shown, an elite recruiting class does not always mean the players work together or make a great TEAM.

I hope coach Pope understands that we do not want another hyped team as much as we do a team that has better than average chemistry to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT