ADVERTISEMENT

This loss is ABSOLUTELY on Cal

Well, I don’t have access to any premium info so when you say something that basically confirms it. Even if you didn’t break it yourself and it wasn’t your info.
I don't have premium either. Just giving them credit because it became a topic on this board and we all added our two cents. Give credit where credit is due and appreciate your kind words, but my take was more in the AJ Dybantsa comparison (which btw he's not publicly mentioned Klutch but I'm just putting out the connections which seem to be quite similar which don't think anybody would dispute).

Our guy Cal

Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari made an interesting comment after the Wildcats' 94-91 loss to the Florida Gators on Wednesday, saying that Kentucky lost a game in which it beat Florida in every category. Florida basketball coach Todd Golden responded to those comments, debunking John Calipari's notion.

“I thought it was a pretty even game, looking at the stat sheet,” Todd Golden said, via Nick Marcinko of Gator Country. “We hit 12 threes, they hit 10. We made 18 free throws, they made 11. We outrebounded them by two. We each had the same assists, same turnovers. So that's kind of factually incorrect, to be honest.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
I think at this point we can conclude two things about this UK team

While they have depth, they have to be a full strength in the backcourt
They cannot have a bad offensive night against a mid tier team - and bad offensive night is now translating to sub 75 point game

Its February 1st and the team that was supposed to show UK has righted the ship looks to be headed for an iceberg in the tournament

UNCW, Florida, Kansas, A&M were winnable games that Cal didn’t make the necessary coaching adjustments to win. I’ll chalk USC up to not being prepared and our guys got out manned. That’s 4 loses that shouldn’t have happened. 10 point lead last night, lead with 2 minutes to go vs Kansas, lead Vs A&M. We are better than our record but the players can’t do it on their own. Now unless we start turning it around we are looking at the 8,9 game again in the tournament.

He’s developed in to a really bad Coach - he’s really not elite in anything but procuring freshman players. In a time where you can recruit players off 351 other teams and get experience this guy recruits 18 yr olds
Go get dogs watch tape - who looks like they want it out on the floor - who can score at all 3 levels? I will celebrate like no other the day this guy hangs it up at UK - can’t stand to look at him anymore

UNCW, Florida, Kansas, A&M were winnable games that Cal didn’t make the necessary coaching adjustments to win. I’ll chalk USC up to not being prepared and our guys got out manned. That’s 4 loses that shouldn’t have happened. 10 point lead last night, lead with 2 minutes to go vs Kansas, lead Vs A&M. We are better than our record but the players can’t do it on their own. Now unless we start turning it around we are looking at the 8,9 game again in the tournament.
Agree. Up 14 in second half v Kansas. Have to win that game. Up 10 last night, up 4 with 20 seconds. Have to win that game. UNCW - win that game no matter what they do. A&M - had the game, let it go. Just really poor decision making and roster management all around. Very poor game management. No adjustments.

Our guy Cal

Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari made an interesting comment after the Wildcats' 94-91 loss to the Florida Gators on Wednesday, saying that Kentucky lost a game in which it beat Florida in every category. Florida basketball coach Todd Golden responded to those comments, debunking John Calipari's notion.

“I thought it was a pretty even game, looking at the stat sheet,” Todd Golden said, via Nick Marcinko of Gator Country. “We hit 12 threes, they hit 10. We made 18 free throws, they made 11. We outrebounded them by two. We each had the same assists, same turnovers. So that's kind of factually incorrect, to be honest.

embarrasing look.

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
I’m just so done with this guy.

Sick of losing in rupp
sick of losing to midmajors
sick of mysterious leg/ankle injuries in late January
sick of overhyped savior recruits
sick of losing on the road
sick of losing in the tournament early
sick of hearing cal say his same old lines
sick of hearing wait until next year
sick of hearing fans say he can’t be replaced
Has he done the tweek yet?

embarrasing look.
It’s embarrassing to see opposing coaches continually out maneuver Cal. He’s being owned at an alarming rate. You would think he may actually get embarrassed himself at some point and do something about it. I have to think he has the mental tools and faculty to do it.

K State coach called him out publicly last year. Peacock coach made him look stupid year before. Mizzou coach apparently owns him. USC Coach showed him up all game. UNCW coach out coached him. Barnes has really given him fits. Self has Cals nuts in his trophy case. Golden not only out coached him entire second half and overtime, but decided to make sure everyone else knew it post game.

This is an ongoing issue. Opposing coaches taking their shots repeatedly while Cal simply lays down. Is it firing him up? Doesn’t seem to be. Kind of seems he’s thrown in the towel. Doesn’t have the fire in the belly. He used to.

I believe he tried to get it going again over the summer. He wanted to. You just can’t simply fake that. If it’s not there, it shows. No faking it until making it in high major college hoops.

Since Bo took his soul in 2015, he seems to have lost the edge. 2017 was descent, but I think the officiating in that game let Cal know he was just never going to get a fair shake again. And this is his own doing in regards to the ref community. He made that bed with his words and behavior to certain refs; and now he’s lying in that bed. The UCONN game in 2011 was just a precursor to what was to come (terrible calls in that game, shot clock violation no calls Wisconsin, attempted murder on the court numerous times via UNC 2017, etc, etc.).

Until Cal is gone, Kentucky Basketball will suffer the consequences. Added all together, Cal is just beat down. He’s tired and needs to let it go.

I really like Todd Golden. He is correct in calling out Cal. Wish he would be called out more by all that see his inadequacies!

It was too early to foul. When up by three, you generally only employ that strategy if there is under 7 seconds left when the team starts going up the court.

When UF rebounded Rob's miss, there was just under 14 seconds remaining. That is an eternity in basketball. Too much can happen in that amount of time if you foul. It was the right decision to play it out at that point. Most coaches would.

Second, I had no problem with Rob taking the free throws. None whatsoever. He missed one, it happens. Reed has been far from automatic at the line in SEC play. I was fine with either option.

If you want to get on Cal, get on him about his defense. For some reason he no longer has the ability to teach the guys how to defend a pick and roll. UK has been getting shredded in the pick and roll the past few years. Also, nobody can stay in front of their man. Sucks to watch.
Well, I'm more than certain that the posters saying to foul don't or didn't mean for them to foul with 14 seconds but once the ball crossed half court and Florida went into their offense you foul up 3. Better yet hit them with a hard trap just past half court and then foul as they try to pass the ball off. But how could our players have known this since Cal refuses to call timeouts? He knew his team was gassed. He should have called the timeout before Dilly went to the free throw line. He didn't do any of it. That isn't coaching. He simply just doesn't understand. He has to remember his team is young. He has to coach them. Not just let them play.

Exactly this! Some posters will just continue to make excuses for Cal.
Exactly after the 9-16 season people still worship that guy he should’ve been ran straight out of Lexington after that train wreck!!! I mean since that debacle we haven’t come close to winning an SEC tournament and have only a whopping 1 NCAA tournament win. Cal is dragging the program into the ground it’s time to take the trash out!

I don't know why this multibajillionaire still doesn't know how to close out games.

He LITERALLY gave the game away.

Yes, Sheppard made a defensive mistake. But he shouldn't have even been in the position to do so.

Very simple for an experienced, well-organized, smart coach to engineer that victory when we took the ball out of bounds up two points.

CALL A TIMEOUT before the inbounds AND before the free throws! Cal had THREE LEFT!

1. Get the ball inbounded to Sheppard so he can knock down the FTs and game over.
2. Failing that, make sure if we miss a FT that you FOUL so they can't shoot a three.
3. Failing that, make sure you have someone glued to Clayton Jr. so he can't get off a three.
4. Failing that, call timeout with 3 seconds left.

So many opportunities and Cal squandered them all.

Isn't it his JOB to prepare the team for situations like this?
Cal is not the same Cal. You can see it in his personality and his eyes etc. He is not making the right decisions when he needs to do it. Worst defensive team we have had at at Kentuck. Poor fundamental.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT