ADVERTISEMENT

This loss is ABSOLUTELY on Cal

Mike-McD

Junior
Aug 3, 2022
I don't know why this multibajillionaire still doesn't know how to close out games.

He LITERALLY gave the game away.

Yes, Sheppard made a defensive mistake. But he shouldn't have even been in the position to do so.

Very simple for an experienced, well-organized, smart coach to engineer that victory when we took the ball out of bounds up two points.

CALL A TIMEOUT before the inbounds AND before the free throws! Cal had THREE LEFT!

1. Get the ball inbounded to Sheppard so he can knock down the FTs and game over.
2. Failing that, make sure if we miss a FT that you FOUL so they can't shoot a three.
3. Failing that, make sure you have someone glued to Clayton Jr. so he can't get off a three.
4. Failing that, call timeout with 3 seconds left.

So many opportunities and Cal squandered them all.

Isn't it his JOB to prepare the team for situations like this?

I’m just so done with this guy.

Sick of losing in rupp
sick of losing to midmajors
sick of mysterious leg/ankle injuries in late January
sick of overhyped savior recruits
sick of losing on the road
sick of losing in the tournament early
sick of hearing cal say his same old lines
sick of hearing wait until next year
sick of hearing fans say he can’t be replaced

I don't know why this multibajillionaire still doesn't know how to close out games.

Yes, Sheppard made a defensive mistake. But he shouldn't have even been in the position to do so.

Very simple for an experienced, well-organized, smart coach to engineer that victory when we took the ball out of bounds up two points.

CALL A TIMEOUT before the inbounds AND before the free throws! Cal had THREE LEFT!

1. Get the ball inbounded to Sheppard so he can knock down the FTs and game over.
2. Failing that, make sure if we miss a FT that you FOUL so they can't shoot a three.
3. Failing that, make sure you have someone glued to Clayton Jr. so he can't get off a three.

I thought every loss is on Cal?

Good reasoning ! If only our $$Coach had any idea what to say in a timeout maybe he’d call one. This is not new to Cal. He fails to prepare his teams before games and fails to strategize properly during games. Hence, no timeouts and no Zivisic to spell Mitchell. Did he tell Sheppard to stick with Clayton like glue and not sag off in the two point area. I bet he didn’t. He’s a good recruiter and statesman, though.

It was too early to foul. When up by three, you generally only employ that strategy if there is under 7 seconds left when the team starts going up the court.

When UF rebounded Rob's miss, there was just under 14 seconds remaining. That is an eternity in basketball. Too much can happen in that amount of time if you foul. It was the right decision to play it out at that point. Most coaches would.

Second, I had no problem with Rob taking the free throws. None whatsoever. He missed one, it happens. Reed has been far from automatic at the line in SEC play. I was fine with either option.

If you want to get on Cal, get on him about his defense. For some reason he no longer has the ability to teach the guys how to defend a pick and roll. UK has been getting shredded in the pick and roll the past few years. Also, nobody can stay in front of their man. Sucks to watch.

It was too early to foul. When up by three, you generally only employ that strategy if there is under 7 seconds left when the team starts going up the court.

When UF rebounded Rob's miss, there was just under 14 seconds remaining. That is an eternity in basketball. Too much can happen in that amount of time if you foul. It was the right decision to play it out at that point. Most coaches would.

Second, I had no problem with Rob taking the free throws. None whatsoever. He missed one, it happens. Reed has been far from automatic at the line in SEC play. I was fine with either option.

If you want to get on Cal, get on him about his defense. For some reason he no longer has the ability to teach the guys how to defend a pick and roll. UK has been getting shredded in the pick and roll the past few years. Also, nobody can stay in front of their man. Sucks to watch.
There was only 3 seconds left when he made that 3, though. Should’ve fouled once they got settled into their offense.

IF, we, the uneducated fans, that ccc insulates so often can see this, WHY can't the over paid coach & staff see it. They are SUPPOSED to be so much more intelligent than us fans........ UK basketball is a joke, & has been sice 2015

You foul the guy driving to the paint with 6 seconds left that kicked it out for a wide open 3. It's not brain surgery.

There was only 3 seconds left when he made that 3, though. Should’ve fouled once they got settled into their offense.
You foul the guy driving to the paint with 6 seconds left that kicked it out for a wide open 3. It's not brain surgery.
It doesn't work like that. There was just under 14 secs when UF got the rebound and started going up the court.

You can't expect the players to keep an eye on the clock and an eye on their man to know when to foul. You can't do that defensively. Either you make the decision to foul right away (because the possession is starting with under 7 secs), or you play defense. The decision needs to be made ahead of time.

Like I said, the defender has to guard his man. He can't be watching the clock tick down from 14 secs to determine when to foul.

Every team it’s the same BS. We haven’t had our full team in ONE game all year. This BS has got to stop.

I'm 100% done with Cal, but this isn't a bad post. Some truth in there.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
It doesn't work like that. There was just under 14 secs when UF got the rebound and started going up the court.

You can't expect the players to keep an eye on the clock and an eye on their man to know when to foul. You can't do that defensively. Either you make the decision to foul right away (because the possession is starting with under 7 secs), or you play defense. The decision needs to be made ahead of time.

Like I said, the defender has to guard his man. He can't be watching the clock tick down from 14 secs to determine when to foul.
The decision needs to be made ahead of time. Yes. Cal should have TOLD them what to do, with one of his THREE timeouts. That's what a coach is supposed to do, why he gets paid to "coach" the players. Stop making excuses for Cal and throwing the players under the bus.

Reactions: CatPhight
Remember when Cal went “old school”. In practice by lidding the rims and making players do wall sits for hours. LOL. What a beast.

Reactions: ThunderMash
You foul with 5 seconds left. That should’ve been the strategy. Cannot believe Cal went to OT with 3 damn timeouts left. Well, yeah I can. We’ve seen this his entire tenure here. He’s a fuvking joke of a coach.
Cal probably has hundreds of timeouts in his pocket from over the years. It's maddening. He won't use them, but he's sure quick to tell the world how young his teams are. Dude just doesn't know what to even say or draw up in a timeout.

Cal probably has hundreds of timeouts in his pocket from over the years. It's maddening. He won't use them, but he's sure quick to tell the world how young his teams are. Dude just doesn't know what to even say or draw up in a timeout.
I would imagine it’s in triple digits by now. How many times over the years have we said, Cal went home with THREE timeouts?! It’s been a reoccurring theme since he arrived. It’s incredible, man. Truly.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
The decision needs to be made ahead of time. Yes. Cal should have TOLD them what to do, with one of his THREE timeouts. That's what a coach is supposed to do, why he gets paid to "coach" the players. Stop making excuses for Cal and throwing the players under the bus.
I have not made one excuse for Cal, nor have I thrown any players under the bus...quit generalizing.

Cal made the right decision. Almost all coaches would employ the same strategy. When up by 3 with 14 secs left, you play D. There is just too much time left to foul. Cal's decisioning was sound.

I have not made one excuse for Cal, nor have I thrown any players under the bus...quit generalizing.

Cal made the right decision. Almost all coaches would employ the same strategy. When up by 3 with 14 secs left, you play D. There is just too much time left to foul. Cal's decisioning was sound.
When it got down to 5 seconds, you foul. They shot with 4 seconds remaining.

It does work like that. If you watch college and NBA you will see it a lot. Its not exceptionally complicated to "foul when they drive." Or "foul when they cross halfcourt," or "foul when they make their first pass." Hell you can witness that level of awareness in middle school basketball.

Reactions: Mike-McD
When it got down to 5 seconds, you foul. They shot with 4 seconds remaining.
I think we're really splitting hairs here. The ball left the shooter's hand at like 4.7 seconds left. I don't think the decision to foul is nearly as black and white as people are making it out to be. It's actually statistically better not to foul. You win like 94% of the time not fouling in this scenario vs. 93% if you do foul.

Screenshot-2024-02-01-at-10-35-47-AM.png

Last edited:

I don’t believe his brain is wired for quick decisions- or handling high pressure situations anymore. He is lost. Looks like a circus performer during half time interviews also. Very unprofessional.

It does work like that. If you watch college and NBA you will see it a lot. Its not exceptionally complicated to "foul when they drive." Or "foul when they cross halfcourt," or "foul when they make their first pass." Hell you can witness that level of awareness in middle school basketball.
Not with 14 secs on the clock dude. And no, it does not happen like that across college basketball or the NBA. The decision is made ahead of time. Not during the play.

I can only imagine if Reed would have decided to foul with 5 secs left, only to foul the guy in the act of shooting. This place would have lost its mind.

Not with 14 secs on the clock dude. And no, it does not happen like that across college basketball or the NBA. The decision is made ahead of time. Not during the play.

I can only imagine if Reed would have decided to foul with 5 secs left, only to foul the guy in the act of shooting. This place would have lost its mind.
Lmao you clearly don't watch much basketball. Happens literally all the time.

Reactions: Mike-McD
I don’t believe his brain is wired for quick decisions- or handling high pressure situations anymore. He is lost. Looks like a circus performer during half time interviews also. Very unprofessional.
He used to wear sweatpants and a hoodie during games lol. Dude was a slob.

Reactions: UKortho and TM2013
I think we're really splitting hairs here. The ball left the shooter's hand at like 4.7 seconds left. I don't think the decision to foul is nearly as black and white as people are making it out to be. It's actually statistically better not to foul. You win like 94% of the time not fouling in this scenario vs. 93% if you do foul.

Screenshot-2024-02-01-at-10-35-47-AM.png
That's obviously assuming the team in question has the actual ability to defend...

Reactions: TM2013
That's obviously assuming the team in question has the actual ability to defend...
It's really funny how this board pays attention to stats and analytics only when it confirms their point of view.

But if you're absolutely dead set on the fact that they should have fouled, do you not remember when we were in this exact scenario earlier in the year? Up 3 late and Cal told Reed to foul. Reed said in a press conference he ignored that and didn't want to foul so he didn't.

There's too many unknown variables for people to be acting so sure about their Monday morning quarterbacking.

It's really funny how this board pays attention to stats and analytics only when it confirms their point of view.

But if you're absolutely dead set on the fact that they should have fouled, do you not remember when we were in this exact scenario earlier in the year? Up 3 late and Cal told Reed to foul. Reed said in a press conference he ignored that and didn't want to foul so he didn't.

There's too many unknown variables for people to be acting so sure about their Monday morning quarterbacking.
Just pointing out the obvious...this team has no defense...that is a well known variable and elephant in the room for any Thursday morning observation.

All true...the last part of regulation was a series of bad decisions and worse execution (miss FT, Shep falling asleep on last play in regulation) by players.

But the schematic coaching is silly by Cal defensively.

1. Why are our guards trailing on screens so much to give up 3s?
2. Why are our guards sagging in lane to allow kick out 3s so much?
3. Why not funnel guards into the lane into Ugo and Bradshaw to a lesser degree (not optimal solution...but leaving open shooters and going under ball screens is worse option).
4. You can tell we don't scout and prep the players on the shooters to leave open, shooters you never leave, this guy we want to force him to help side, etc... It's just play it all the same game in/game out.

That to me is the major issue on the team.....not last 10 second decisions defensively.

when you have Shep and Reeves and their great ft shooting, you foul 7-8 seconds left... thats just enough time they probably wont try the tip in. you make sure Reeves and Shep are the only players who can get an inbounds pass so they shoot free throws. You turn it into a FT contest when you have 2 guys shooting that well ..

Reactions: CatPhight
Someone posted in a thread this week that UK Athletics has had a few create accounts on this site to defend Cal. I laughed and said that was idiocy.

after reading this thread I may have changed my mind.

So many examples of coaching inadequacies last night. Many. And not fouling when the dude started his drive was one of them. Not inbounding to Reeves or Reed. Not calling a time out before that inbound. Not calling a time out after Robs first made free throw. Not getting Reed a breather. Allowing Mitchell to continue to play dead on the floor all game. Not getting Z couple minutes in second half. Calling a timeout with 8 on the shit clock with Reeves iso against a big to go get a bucket. So many.

Begs the question of why Calipari did not call a timeout before Rob missed that second free and set up the strategy for the last 14 seconds. No, he kept 3 TIMEOUTS in his pocket. He’s not a coach, he’s a salesman.

Reactions: UKortho and TM2013
Begs the question of why Calipari did not call a timeout before Rob missed that second free and set up the strategy for the last 14 seconds. No, he kept 3 TIMEOUTS in his pocket. He’s not a coach, he’s a salesman.
Who says the strategy wasn't set? Cal said not to foul, and nobody fouled. Seems like everyone knew the strategy. Cal even said as much in the postgame.

Reed just f'd up...it is what it is. A freshmen was a freshman.

And btw RDF confirmed Bradshaw was being pushed to USC last year. Lol but Ima conspiracy theorist idiot.
That's not accurate. Jack Pilgrim and others did a better job of sharing that narrative. What I did was point out the backstory of AJ Dybantsa's recruitment and how it's mirroring what happened with Bradshaw. We all heard via Travis Graf that Klutch wanted Bradshaw to leave Camden and go to Prolific Prep. Where is Dybantsa? Prolific Prep. Throw in the fact that others (not me) reported the Bradshaw push to USC (which as much to keep an eye on their client and control things as anything to do with Bronny) and see that Dybantsa immediately visited that dump of a program. I just pointed out in response to who will be the next Klutch recruit that UK has interest in--and mentioned him/gave reasons.

So I've done nothing to receive credit for any of the USC stuff---I'd just been told that Kentucky wasn't concerned about Bradshaw ending up elsewhere. Will also say that Graf/Pilgrim mentioned the mysterious "foot" issue that was going to be created before it went public too. If you want to give credit, give it to those who did the work and had the correct info.

That's not accurate. Jack Pilgrim and others did a better job of sharing that narrative. What I did was point out the backstory of AJ Dybantsa's recruitment and how it's mirroring what happened with Bradshaw. We all heard via Travis Graf that Klutch wanted Bradshaw to leave Camden and go to Prolific Prep. Where is Dybantsa? Prolific Prep. Throw in the fact that others (not me) reported the Bradshaw push to USC (which as much to keep an eye on their client and control things as anything to do with Bronny) and see that Dybantsa immediately visited that dump of a program. I just pointed out in response to who will be the next Klutch recruit that UK has interest in--and mentioned him/gave reasons.

So I've done nothing to receive credit for any of the USC stuff---I'd just been told that Kentucky wasn't concerned about Bradshaw ending up elsewhere. Will also say that Graf/Pilgrim mentioned the mysterious "foot" issue that was going to be created before it went public too. If you want to give credit, give it to those who did the work and had the correct info.
Well, I don’t have access to any premium info so when you say something that basically confirms it. Even if you didn’t break it yourself and it wasn’t your info.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT