ADVERTISEMENT

This is Cal’s last stand…

For the second time in Cal’s UK career I believe he has caught lightning in a bottle. The first was obviously 2012 when he was lucky enough to combine a generational talent like Davis with the returnees due to the potential NBA lockout. That title doesn’t occur without those 2 exceptionally rare occurrences.

This season he finds himself in a spot where his two best players were his least heralded and a last second pickup in Z. No one (including Cal) thought those 3 would do what they’re doing. I believe Shep is also a generational type player with his extreme poise that I’ve never seen in a freshman or hardly any age player. He isn’t Davis from a talent standpoint, but very much the same level of impact.

Point being, Cal will almost certainly never hit the lottery like this again. It’s well known he needs extreme talent to win, and he’s got it. So it’s now or never. This is a special group and I hope it ends like it did in 2012.
I truly think next season he will have it again. Reed and Travis together on the floor with Boogie Fland could be just as dynamic

Who told you offense wins championships? I have never heard those words out of a coach. I think UVA would disagree with you. UVA won its championship with defense.
It took them long enough to win it. Longgggg time.

But to your point, I think having a bit of both wins it all. Pitino proved that twice, Calipari proved it in 2012. Hell, Tubby proved it in 98. But a good to great offense is certainly a second attribute needed to win championships with the defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT