ADVERTISEMENT

Thiero

In Cal's postgame he mentioned "get guys back" and "we'll be fine".

I just think he's had spasms and they want them completely gone and that can take a good month.
Shoot. I hope he comes back soon. General soreness sounds fishy to me though. I've had a bad back for close to 30 years and I would never classify my pain as general soreness.

You hold him out until he’s fully ready. Back strains are one of those things that one day too soon and you can set yourself back weeks.

I know back spasms are finicky.. but we also know that Cal seems to be overly-cautious. I don't recall ever seeing a player come back according to the initial time table, and more often than not, it's longer.

Kind of aligns with his propensity to sit players with 2 fouls and play stall ball at the end of games.. he's sometimes TOO cautious.

I'd also like to think that Adou is getting MUCH better treatment with UKs medical staff and trainers, for more than you or me. I've dealt with back spasms and muscle pulls. It sucks, but you generally need to adjust how do daily activities. How you sit, how you sleep, etc. When they happen you need a lot of hot/cold therapy, ibuprofen and theragun work. So I get how awful they can be, but they *should* be preventable.

At some point, you have to take SOME risks. You can't just just keep everyone in bubble.

I know back spasms are finicky.. but we also know that Cal seems to be overly-cautious. I don't recall ever seeing a player come back according to the initial time table, and more often than not, it's longer.

Kind of aligns with his propensity to sit players with 2 fouls and play stall ball at the end of games.. he's sometimes TOO cautious.

I'd also like to think that Adou is getting MUCH better treatment with UKs medical staff and trainers, for more than you or me. I've dealt with back spasms and muscle pulls. It sucks, but you generally need to adjust how do daily activities. How you sit, how you sleep, etc. When they happen you need a lot of hot/cold therapy, ibuprofen and theragun work. So I get how awful they can be, but they *should* be preventable.

At some point, you have to take SOME risks. You can't just just keep everyone in bubble.
This is what people are forgetting just how good of treatment these players are getting. I have had back surgeries over the years and I have been blessed to have a great Dr. Hopefully he will be back soon.

Serious question, have you ever coached?

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat

Who is “we”?

I know nothing of the sort.

I do know Cal will do what’s in the best interest of the player.

If I had a son good enough to play for UK I sure want Cal as his coach.

Who is “we”?

I know nothing of the sort.

I do know Cal will do what’s in the best interest of the player.

If I had a son good enough to play for UK I sure want Cal as his coach.

And that's fine.. most of the time.

But he's not getting paid to be a players-first coach. He's being paid to win games. Now most of the time, those can, and do, go hand in hand. He puts the players first, so we get the recruits and the recruits help him win games.

But sometimes it conflicts. It's not like Adou has a Concussion or is coming back off a knee injury. It's back spasms, and it's been 3+ weeks. Unless he's actually not able to play, I think you have to think about playing him next game to see how he does.

Shoot. I hope he comes back soon. General soreness sounds fishy to me though. I've had a bad back for close to 30 years and I would never classify my pain as general soreness.
Me too but some days are worse than others, I wouldn’t classify it as general soreness but there are also many different types and levels of back injuries too. His may be more on the muscle. More like spasms.

If he doesn't come back then this is very likely something deeper with his back, maybe requiring surgery.

If it is indeed just spasms, med schools should study this, because it would be the most extreme case of back spasms that would cause a player to miss 4 months of basketball lol. It would be nearly unheard of.

And that's fine.. most of the time.

But he's not getting paid to be a players-first coach. He's being paid to win games. Now most of the time, those can, and do, go hand in hand. He puts the players first, so we get the recruits and the recruits help him win games.

But sometimes it conflicts. It's not like Adou has a Concussion or is coming back off a knee injury. It's back spasms, and it's been 3+ weeks. Unless he's actually not able to play, I think you have to think about playing him next game to see how he does.
Larry Bird back spasms lasted all season

For me it was a month of PT with TENS units

Reactions: Seakat311
Larry Bird back spasms lasted all season

That was also the 80s and it was largely due to Bird re-doing his mother's driveway one summer. (Or so the legend is told lol).

Either way, Bird still played through it mostly.

I haven't heard anything about Thiero and back spasms. All I've seen was general soreness. Is there another report I've missed?

His dad said back spasms in an interview. The recent injury report is "general soreness".

I get the sense he's fine but Cal is just bring extra cautious, probably keeping him out a few extra games.

Part of his problem with his back maybe related to the fact he grew so fast so quick. Back problems can linger for quite a while for some people. I have deteriorating discs on each side of my back and when they act up it is no joke. I am a lot order than Thiero but back problems, spasms, etc will cause some serious pain. A lot of mornings I have to put ice on my back for 20-25 minutes just to get the day started.. if someone who has never experienced this and making comments about it, are clueless what they are talking about.

Part of his problem with his back maybe related to the fact he grew so fast so quick. Back problems can linger for quite a while for some people. I have deteriorating discs on each side of my back and when they act up it is no joke. I am a lot order than Thiero but back problems, spasms, etc will cause some serious pain. A lot of mornings I have to put ice on my back for 20-25 minutes just to get the day started.. if someone who has never experienced this and making comments about it, are clueless what they are talking about.
Had two back surgeries myself. No fun.

Imagine being an actual coach and having to read this garbage.

You do know Cal doesn’t make the decision on when a player comes back from injury, right? This isn’t HS basketball.

That's absolutely false lol. Coaches CONSTANTLY make the call on whether a player comes back, and not just at the college level but professional too. Every player wants to get back out there. They are young and think their body will last forever. They want to get paid, or play well enough to EVENTUALLY get played, which means, not sitting out games.

This was from June:

During the live, Bradshaw stated that he will not be playing in the event but added that he expects to be back “3-6 weeks.”

You're a real moron if you think Cal isn't ultimately deciding on when a player will come back from injury. Most players would come back immediately if they could.

That's absolutely false lol. Coaches CONSTANTLY make the call on whether a player comes back, and not just at the college level but professional too. Every player wants to get back out there. They are young and think their body will last forever. They want to get paid, or play well enough to EVENTUALLY get played, which means, not sitting out games.

This was from June:

During the live, Bradshaw stated that he will not be playing in the event but added that he expects to be back “3-6 weeks.”

You're a real moron if you think Cal isn't ultimately deciding on when a player will come back from injury. Most players would come back immediately if they could.

So you think the HC and player decide on injuries? 😂 I guess you think Cal diagnosed him as well? 😂

So you think the HC and player decide on injuries? 😂 I guess you think Cal diagnosed him as well? 😂

The HC decides on when a player will play again, yes.

You can try and twist this into a debate about the HC giving out medical diagnoses all you want lol.. that's not what you said. Do you understand how many players are cleared to practice, medically, but still don't play the games because the coach makes that call? That's exactly what happened to Bradshaw. He even said on his social media hes "not allowed" to say when he's coming back, as in, he's not making the call. And some UK trainer isn't making the call either.

Haven't you gotten waxed enough in other threads to go delete your account yet?

I am not sure what type of back issue Adou has at this point. Do you? I would not take a risk, as you say, with any player that has documented back problems. Thiero has a medical team overseeing his improvement , or lack of, on a daily basis. Cal listens to them.

Reactions: grevey35
I am not sure what type of back issue Adou has at this point. Do you? I would not take a risk, as you say, with any player that has documented back problems. Thiero has a medical team overseeing his improvement , or lack of, on a daily basis. Cal listens to them.

I'm not assuming to know the extent of the injury. I even said it might be something more severe, but who knows.

But is it possible that Cal is just being cautious by keeping him out longer? Look at my posts above. Bradshaw thought he was 1. only missing some weeks in the summer and then 2. thought he'd be back for Decembers first game.. He was then held out until December 21st. And then he played with NO restrictions from a medical/conditioning standpoint that I'm aware of. So could he have MAYBE come back a game before or two? I think that's reasonable to ask.

We lose another game and we're likely out of the running for a 1-seed, and will then be well behind in the SEC race. Its not like Thiero has a leg injury, and it's not something severe enough to require surgery or any larger medical treatment.. so is it fair to play him in spurts to start? I think so. If he has chronic back spasms, these are things that could crop up at any point anyways. So if we're THAT worried about a spasm happening again, then might as well redshirt him or let him declare. Because this could happen if he's walking to the cafeteria.

I'll tell you this, I don't believe many other coaches in D1 are keeping someone out for a month because of back spasms.

Last edited:
Reactions: RunninRichie
I'm not assuming to know the extent of the injury. I even said it might be something more severe, but who knows.

But is it possible that Cal is just being cautious by keeping him out longer? Look at my posts above. Bradshaw thought he was 1. only missing some weeks in the summer and then 2. thought he'd be back for Decembers first game.. He was then held out until December 21st. And then he played with NO restrictions from a medical/conditioning standpoint that I'm aware of. So could he have MAYBE come back a game before or two? I think that's reasonable to ask.
The place to ask is the medical staff for the team. You honestly think that Cal is going to hold out a probable high draft pick because he thinks he knows more than the medical staff? You may remember Bradshaws first game back. After 3 or 4 trips down the floor he could hardly breathe. He was totally out of basketball shape. Indicates to me was not able to put in the aerobic time needed.

• Haha
The place to ask is the medical staff for the team. You honestly think that Cal is going to hold out a probable high draft pick because he thinks he knows more than the medical staff? You may remember Bradshaws first game back. After 3 or 4 trips down the floor he could hardly breathe. He was totally out of basketball shape. Indicates to me was not able to put in the aerobic time needed.

His conditioning has nothing to do with his injury specifically, though. It has to do with lack of practice and playing time. His foot was fine as far as I can tell, he wasn't getting limited playing time because of it.. same as Ugo. Those guys had to come out not because of their injuries being an issue, just that they don't have the energy to play big minutes.

And I don't get the part before that? I think he's holding them out to PROTECT their draft status. He's admittedly a players first guy. He wants to get them to the NBA. So he's going to be extra cautious with them. He might also be cautious thinking that he wants them for the end of the season. Which aligns with holding out a 2-foul player, to make sure they don't foul out. But I think both thoughts are too conservative.

I'm not saying he doesn't listen to the trainers and doctors. I just think those folks will generally clear/not clear a player on a given date.. and Cal decides how smd when he wants to insert them back into a game. The trainers aren't picking which games a player will play, they just say "yep we think he's medically ready" (in better medical wording lol).

Last edited:
His conditioning has nothing to do with his injury specifically, though. It has to do with lack of practice and playing time. His foot was fine as far as I can tell, he wasn't getting limited playing time because of it.. same as Ugo. Those guys had to come out not because of their injuries being an issue, just that they don't have the energy to play big minutes.

And I don't get the part before that? I think he's holding them out to PROTECT their draft status. He's admittedly a players first guy. He wants to get them to the NBA. So he's going to be extra cautious with them. He might also be cautious thinking that he wants them for the end of the season. Which aligns with holding out a 2-foul player, to make sure they don't foul out. But I think both thoughts are too conservative.

I'm not saying he doesn't listen to the trainers and doctors. I just think those folks will generally clear/not clear a player on a given date.. and Cal decides how smd when he wants to insert them back into a game. The trainers aren't picking which games a player will play, they just say "yep we think he's medically ready" (in better medical wording lol).
No problem with your opinion. I do not think he is protecting Adous draft status at all. I think he is following through with what he promises every parent and that is , he will take care of their son like they were his own son.
I also think it is only in rare cases and, with very few coaches where you see players playing in the first half when they have 2 fouls. I know everything is situational, but it has been the norm since I have been watching basketball. If Hal Mumme coached UK basketball, it might be different.

Our injuries always last longer than anyone I’ve ever been around or heard of is all I know, thiero was dunking on people one game then he’s been out for 2 wks since. I get being cautious & all but it’s odd seeing players in travel suits without a cast or boot on but yet not play other than Z status. Definitely need him on the road in SEC games, we got bullied Saturday & he would let let that happen had he played.

The HC decides on when a player will play again, yes.

You can try and twist this into a debate about the HC giving out medical diagnoses all you want lol.. that's not what you said. Do you understand how many players are cleared to practice, medically, but still don't play the games because the coach makes that call? That's exactly what happened to Bradshaw. He even said on his social media hes "not allowed" to say when he's coming back, as in, he's not making the call. And some UK trainer isn't making the call either.

Haven't you gotten waxed enough in other threads to go delete your account yet?
I’m just impressed that he’s responded to you multiple times now without calling you little fella or the like. Showing real growth on his part. Probably not but felt like throwing him a bone, all that teaching and coaching he’s doing has to be wearing him out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT