ADVERTISEMENT

The transfer rule changes on Monday! Unlimited transfers

Apr 12, 2024
Starting on Monday it looks like you can transfer as much as you want but just not in the middle of the year.
This means there should be another huge influx of players that were stuck because they couldn't transfer that second time without sitting out.
Starting on Tuesday I guess?

This would be good news for say somebody that's looking to build a team.......

Anyone surprised that the NCAA went in the exact opposite direction they should have gone?

I know it won't be easy, but they have to figure out a way to slow down the transfers, put onus on the players, and allow coaches to properly construct rosters..

Last edited:
wow, the college game is looking more and more like free agency in all of the major pro sports
No, it’s WAY crazier than in pro sports. The pro sports player acquisition system is regulated by strict rules, a draft, salary caps, and players have to wait a few years before they become free agents.

The new college sports system is comparatively total Wild West anarchy. EVERYONE is essentially a free agent EVERY year and there are no controls or limits on what can be spent to buy a kid.

Starting on Monday it looks like you can transfer as much as you want but just not in the middle of the year.
This means there should be another huge influx of players that were stuck because they couldn't transfer that second time without sitting out.
Starting on Tuesday I guess?

This would be good news for say somebody that's looking to build a team.......
Let's make a deal!

I think the Robinson guy from byu has been at several schools but I’d take him in a heartbeat. Something happened with Mitchell, whether it be misuse or lost confidence.
Kal, happened with Mitchell.

Im sure there are a few guys stuck with no "story" to get a waiver.
Ima bet some dudes are available on Tuesday after this passes signatures. Its really cuz of football but I'll take it!

Screaming coaches are in trouble. Calipari.
Nice coaches are golden. Pope.
Imo

Reactions: TFCats11
Anyone surprised that the NCAA went I the exact opposite direction they should have gone?

I know it won't be easy, but they have to figure out a way to slow down the transfers, put onus on the players, and allow coaches to properly construct rosters..
Ditto.

CBB’s off season has become like one giant unregulated auction.

Now for sale to highest bidder: EVERYONE!
I'll say this much about it. It is ridiculous...but the offseasons are definitely not boring. Day to day you never know who may transfer out or transfer in.

Reactions: CatsDomain
wow, the college game is looking more and more like free agency in all of the major pro sports
don't like the bidding wars that are now starting to appear front & center
Except there are no multi year contracts in college now. Every year is now a contract year in college.

This is the opposite of the direction they should have went. Tou have to have some guidelines on NIL etc. getting 1 free transfer but enforcing a sitout year while for a second transfer while keeping that year of eligibility is how it should work. Only exceptions being coaching changes or immediate family emergencies but you’re required to attend a university within 8 hours drive time of that family members permanent address for the previous year.

Nobody is punished. They maintain that year of eligibility but the sitting out is somewhat of a deterrent so we don’t have wide open free agency and coaches can build teams

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
No, it’s WAY crazier than in pro sports. The pro sports player acquisition system is regulated by strict rules, a draft, salary caps, and players have to wait a few years before they become free agents.

The new college sports system is comparatively total Wild West anarchy. EVERYONE is essentially a free agent EVERY year and there are no controls or limits on what can be spent to buy a kid.
Hell, if I were putting up a million in NIL...better damn guarantee there would be a contract with stipulations that the player would need to meet, to have renewed (or bonuses kick in)

I think players should have access to NIL but the roster turnovers have to stop. Should be some sort of cap on how many teams a player can play for in a 4 or 5 year stretch.
NIL yes... NOT pay for play... HUGE difference
that anyone with half a brain, knew this would happen...either above or below the table

Reactions: wardlow
I'm excited about the future of UK basketball with Pope at the helm but I'm really afraid college basketball in general is going to be ruined overall.
Well, it certainly will never again be the same thing we grew up with.

At this point, the NCAA might as well just cut the bullshit and honestly admit that they’re really professional athletes. Get rid of the requirement that they be enrolled in classes and re-label them as employees playing for the university-sponsored pro team.

Then maybe we could come up with some common sense regulation based on the new reality.

Reactions: KYExtemper
We don't make the rules, they are what they are. But the team that works best within those rules...wins most. Imagine that! Accept and embrace what you can't change, or get left behind.

The beauty and the similarity of the NIL and portal it seems is that yes, it's a lot like free agency. So, if someone plans to transfer for a better paying gig elsewhere...they dang well better show off at their current gig. Right? That's how it seems in the free agency game to me. Those guys play their best when they are looking for a big contract.

• Love
Reactions: lpkilla77
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT