ADVERTISEMENT

The team so far reminds me a bit of

Jan 27, 2023
South Carolina last year. When I watched SC last year I felt like they were running out a group of 25 year old football players. I mean, yea, we got the two scoring guard newbies that are somewhat unknowns, but the other three look and feel like they about to be part of a send everyone and the kitchen sink blitz. And honestly, something equivalent to South Carolina’s breakout year last year would be a pretty nice looking first year rebuild for Pope. Putting grown ass, well seasoned, ball hounds out there ain’t a bad approach with the current time and availability constraints.

Last edited:
We are geriatric. I'll take it over the crap the former "coach" was doing. Looking forward to the Pope era.
Geriatric? 😝. Geriatric is for people like me. How about taking a different view. How bout being seasoned, mature, wiser? I ain’t seen a damn thing like that in a UK basketball shorts in a long time. I would like a little intelligence to go with the game for a change. Reed had that but… he gone.

Chandler will be a grown man also, maturity-wise.
This. I think a lot of people thinking “freshman” when they hear Chandler’s name might be forgetting that he’s two years further along in physical and mental maturity than other freshmen.

That kid we’re seeing in those high school highlight clips ain’t the same guy who’ll be showing up in Lexington.

Good start. I think we all got very use to seeing long, lanky, skinny freshmen year after year. We almost always had the same problems playing physical teams. They whipped us all too often. Yes, this team is shaping up to be a bit different, for sure. I know several are down on DJ Wagner but he's the kind of piece we're missing right now. A player that can drive the lane and just beat his man. Pope will put the right people in place, in time. It doesn't have to be Wagner, but someone with his speed and ability to drive the nail and break teams down. Someone like Dilly would be even better but there aren't many Dillys out there.

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
Geriatric? 😝. Geriatric is for people like me. How about taking a different view. How bout being seasoned, mature, wiser? I ain’t seen a damn thing like that in a UK basketball shorts in a long time. I would like a little intelligence to go with the game for a change. Reed had that but… he gone.
It was a joke after being sick of hearing Cal say “We are young”. Very happy to see experience on the team.

Reactions: dl51344
Let’s just go out there and compete. Shoot for top 4-5 in the league. Win a couple games or more in the SEC tournament. Make the Big Dance. Quite possible squeeze into the Sweet 16, and skyrocket the following year.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
Not going to lie, I wasn’t a fan of the hire but I’ve gotten excited about pope now. This staff he put together is crazy impressive. I think I was worried about the players he’d target but it’s clear, he’s going after studs, physical, Athletic guys but he’ll have the blend that’s needed

Imagine Pope wins the national championship next season….. that would be insane.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT