ADVERTISEMENT

The lone bright spot from today...... 87 year old, National champion and Hall of Fame member, Johnny Cox as the "Y"

crawfords corner

All-American
Jul 9, 2004
I know some of you were around back then what do you remember about the man?

-Thanks to Jack Pilgrim for tweeting that.

Johnny Cox was a member of my favorite UK team of all time, "The Fiddling Five. " I had the pleasure of meeting him and talking to him on a couple of occasions. He was a friend of my cousin, Dr Herbert Greene, who had a dental practice in Lexington during the 60's and 70's. Herb introduced me to him and Johnny told me a story about he, Herb, and a couple of other guys taking off one evening (after drinking about a Mule's ear full of bourbon) driving down to Perry County. and building a fire, roasting potatoes and finishing off all their bourbon until the sun came up. What he described was a typical fox hunt routine in the Eastern Ky mountains.
What I remembered about Cox as a player was his tremendous quickness and leaping ability when going for a rebound and his looping hook shot.
I also had the pleasure of spending about ten days in the 2002 - 2004 time frame on a cruise with John Crigler who was a starting forward on the " fiddling five." I was working out in the ship's fitness center when I bumped in to a teenager with a UK shirt on. He told me he was John Crigler's nephew and that Crigler was on the ship. I met John and his two brother's. One was a retired Air Natl Guard Major General and the other one was the district attorney in one of the northern Ky counties. I hung out with them for the duration of the cruise and bombarded John with questions about my favorite team.
Johnny Cox and John Crigler were both humble , down to earth people. One of the highlights of my life to meet and talk to two members of the 58 team.

Johnny Cox was a member of my favorite UK team of all time, "The Fiddling Five. " I had the pleasure of meeting him and talking to him on a couple of occasions. He was a friend of my cousin, Dr Herbert Greene, who had a dental practice in Lexington during the 60's and 70's. Herb introduced me to him and Johnny told me a story about he, Herb, and a couple of other guys taking off one evening (after drinking about a Mule's ear full of bourbon) driving down to Perry County. and building a fire, roasting potatoes and finishing off all their bourbon until the sun came up. What he described was a typical fox hunt routine in the Eastern Ky mountains.
What I remembered about Cox as a player was his tremendous quickness and leaping ability when going for a rebound and his looping hook shot.
I also had the pleasure of spending about ten days in the 2002 - 2004 time frame on a cruise with John Crigler who was a starting forward on the " fiddling five." I was working out in the ship's fitness center when I bumped in to a teenager with a UK shirt on. He told me he was John Crigler's nephew and that Crigler was on the ship. I met John and his two brother's. One was a retired Air Natl Guard Major General and the other one was the district attorney in one of the northern Ky counties. I hung out with them for the duration of the cruise and bombarded John with questions about my favorite team.
Johnny Cox and John Crigler were both humble , down to earth people. One of the highlights of my life to meet and talk to two members of the 58 team.
This type of post is the best of the forum. Thanks!

I remember that night, as I was in Freedom Hall watching Lexington Lafayette win the KYSHS boys championship, and the annnouncer told everyone that UK had just won the NC in St Louis. What a night.

Another home grown legend from the past
Johnny Cox was & still is my favorite player of all time. Met him in Rupp arena about 30 years ago and had a nice conversation with him.
Back then, a team only needed to win 4 games to win the nat"l cchampionship. The "Fiddlers" weren't one of Rupp's greatest teams but they played well enough at the right time to win it all. They also benefited from playing all 4 tournament games in Freedom Hall that year.
I still have an 8x10 glossy of that team in my office.

I know some of you were around back then what do you remember about the man?

-Thanks to Jack Pilgrim for tweeting that.
Here's video if you've never seen him play.

Did Rick Barry get his FT shot from Hatton or was it a common occurence? Wonder who the last player was to shoot FT underhanded?

Several years ago I acquired Cox's championship ring, the game-used net from the '58 championship game, and Antoine Walker's ncaa championship ring through a variety of ways ... Grey Flannel Auctions for the first two, certified with letters and authenticators and all from the players involved, and Walker's ring was a direct purchase from him, personally.

You may be thinking of the 78 team.
Re-thinking it was the 57 Boys tournament in Freedom Hall and Lex Lafatte won over Eastern HS, The next year 58 St X won the State Boys at Memorial in Lex and UK won the national in St Louis. X roster inc Ben Monholon,Larry Duddy. Jim McDonald [who went to UK}, and a PG who went to Notre Dame. crn. Jim was a very good friend of mine and his Dad was an officer on LPD. We rode to school together until he played ball and he had practice each afternoon. Those wre tha days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT