ADVERTISEMENT

Havent seen this asked, so I'm asking

Girthang

All-American
Dec 12, 2019
With the coaching change, doesn't Coach Pope have some time right away to work with the new guys he brings in that doesn't count against future practice time? Or is that only with existing players? Or am I just old and that was either another sport or they did away with that rule a long time ago?

Iirc it was a couple weeks worth of practices if they are spread out a little bit. Maybe 10 practices...?

Yeah, the way it is currently, the players have all control and I'm for them getting paid somewhat but the portal absolutely must be worked on.
I mean at some point, that scholarship schools are giving has to mean something in this age of pay for play.
Yes sir it does. The players kinda run the show pretty much right now and its not pretty either something will change soon

Any chance we can throw one of those foreign trips together real quick? I believe you get a lot of extra practices to go with those games in the summer. If I remember correctly, Pope and the team went to Italy before the 96 season. I think that's where the story came from about Pitino kissing the Pope's ring and the Pope asking Pitino where's his ring (championship)? Kind of prophetic by the Pope.

Reactions: chroix
Any chance we can throw one of those foreign trips together real quick? I believe you get a lot of extra practices to go with those games in the summer. If I remember correctly, Pope and the team went to Italy before the 96 season. I think that's where the story came from about Pitino kissing the Pope's ring and the Pope asking Pitino where's his ring (championship)? Kind of prophetic by the Pope.
Since they did one of those last summer you can only do one of those every 4 years I think.

Since they did one of those last summer you can only do one of those every 4 years I think.
That is correct…once every 4 years.

What the players on this particular team can do this summer:

- Up to 8 weeks max of “structured” weight training, skill instruction/development while enrolled in summer school

- Limited to 8 hours total per week

- Only 4 of those hours in any given week can be spent on skill instruction/development

- Most likely those 4 hours per week in all 8 weeks will be spent in group sessions (including scrimmages) in an effort to build as much camaraderie as possible

- The lone exception being Chandler. They are going to slow roll him since he hasn’t played in 2 years. He will most likely be present for the group stuff but he won’t participate in the scrimmages this summer…at least not until the backend

- Up to 8 weeks max of “structured” weight training, skill instruction/development while enrolled in summer school

- Only 4 of those hours in any given week can be spent on skill instruction/development

- Most likely those 4 hours per week in all 8 weeks will be spent in group sessions (including scrimmages) in an effort to build as much camaraderie as possible

- The lone exception being Chandler. They are going to slow roll him since he hasn’t played in 2 years. He will most likely be present for the group stuff but he won’t participate in the scrimmages this summer…at least not until the backend
I’m sure all schools (coaches) follow these guidelines to a T 😂

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Why not give schools “portal tickets” and they use em when taking a partoler.

Maybe four a year, with unlimited if coaching change.

Yeah, the way it is currently, the players have all control and I'm for them getting paid somewhat but the portal absolutely must be worked on.
I mean at some point, that scholarship schools are giving has to mean something in this age of pay for play.
It went from the NCAA and schools having 100% control to now the players having 100% control. I am all for players getting paid but I also agree that the tuition, room, board, training, etc they get already is a pretty sweet benefit. If you don't think it is try putting 3 kids through college.

Nice post. Thanks

Reactions: notelvis
I was thinking something had changed with that rule. We went to the Bahamas 2 years ago and then the Canada trip last year. Unless the Canada trip didn't count.

Reactions: Girthang
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT