ADVERTISEMENT

The Last Dance

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
I believe this season is Cals last no matter what. If he wins a championship I believe he retires and if he has a bad year I believe he will be fired or retire. Either way I think this is it.

Next year is going to be a trainwreck that will end early in March because anyone with half a brain can see that's where this is headed
Unfortunately I think you’re right, but this is what Mitch wants and there’s nothing we can do about it. Unless the meeting today ends badly then Cal is the coach

I’ve seen nothing to make me believe anybody has any plans on any year being his last…just wishful thinking for us fans…

I’ve got a feeling you’re right. I just don’t get why. I realize the excuse is that no one good is “available” now so we may as well lop six million off that payout by waiting. But to me that’s just a rationalization. The athletics department is acting like Jay Wright, Dan Hurley, Brad Stevens, Nate Oats, and some other people at just down at the corner for a few minutes and they’ll be right back. But in reality, what on Earth will be different next year in terms of who’s “available”? And honestly, if it makes sense to wait out six mil of the payout in exchange for one more crappy year, then ultimately why not wait out the whole payout, year after depressing year, if the a-priori “availability” on paper never gets any better……which we already know it won’t. That’s what scares me. If we don’t have an athletics department that can make tough decisions based on reality, what do we have?

Reactions: ukwazoo
I’ve got a feeling you’re right. I just don’t get why. I realize the excuse is that no one good is “available” now so we may as well lop six million off that payout by waiting. But to me that’s just a rationalization. The athletics department is acting like Jay Wright, Dan Hurley, Brad Stevens, Nate Oats, and some other people at just down at the corner for a few minutes and they’ll be right back. But in reality, what on Earth will be different next year in terms of who’s “available”? And honestly, if it makes sense to wait out six mil of the payout in exchange for one more crappy year, then ultimately why not wait out the whole payout, year after depressing year, if the a-priori “availability” on paper never gets any better……which we already know it won’t. That’s what scares me. If we don’t have an athletics department that can make tough decisions based on reality, what do we have?
Well according to Pilgrim those dream coach hires we dream of are not wild dreams. So I’m not sure why Mitch is like okay one last shot Cal. If the money and the potential for a good hire is there now why not take it?

We need less of this

let's get physical GIF by Pop TV

and more of THIS

chris diamantopoulos 80s GIF by ADWEEK

Like this year and it will be more next year calipari is a choker 2010 2011 2014 2015 on and on and on choker

Next year is going to be a trainwreck that will end early in March because anyone with half a brain can see that's where this is headed
That’s an optimistic outlook thinking we make it to March. I’m guessing we aren’t in the running for a spot in the ncaa by early february. I could see us being a slightly above .500 team most of the year after getting off to an ok start with early cupcake schedule. Probably sitting around 12-10 in early February or so with a deer in the headlights cal leading the charge every game with talks of tweaks and nonsense. Cal is out of material with zero answers.

A lot of people seem content to spend a lot of other people's money. On basketball.

"He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense. "
--John McCarthy

I believe this season is Cals last no matter what. If he wins a championship I believe he retires and if he has a bad year I believe he will be fired or retire. Either way I think this is it.
“If he wins a championship “ …….BHAhahahahahah !

A lot of people seem content to spend a lot of other people's money. On basketball.

"He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense. "
--John McCarthy
Well it was widely reported that the money was there for the buyout if Mitch wanted to make the change. So evidently there were people willing to spend their own money.

IF allowed to return, MB, Cal, well know that a loss to an Evansville early, at home to anyone, in the Big 4 to Kansas or Duke or MSU if that is still a thing, a loss to Vandy or some other awful SEC team....then the wheels will IMMEDIATELY spin off and that will derail the rest of the season. Then comes the SECT first round exit....and then if we make the NCAAT....then we are back where we stand.

It is a NO WIN scenario for MB and he needs to rip the Band-Aid off now.

Well it was widely reported that the money was there for the buyout if Mitch wanted to make the change. So evidently there were people willing to spend their own money.
I saw some numbers and were all current. The AD runs a department that has a budget for umpteen other programs, and the 2 buyouts would straitjacket the department for years. (One of the many reasons, I'd love to see sports and universities divorce.) And, let's face it, as this board is evidence, UK fans have the patience of scorpions. 3 straight basketball coaches run off? Impatience with the next guy is just around the corner.

Sorry to hear that UK had chosen a new women's coach. Kind of hoping for a transfer.

I saw some numbers and were all current. The AD runs a department that has a budget for umpteen other programs, and the 2 buyouts would straitjacket the department for years. (One of the many reasons, I'd love to see sports and universities divorce.) And, let's face it, as this board is evidence, UK fans have the patience of scorpions. 3 straight basketball coaches run off? Impatience with the next guy is just around the corner.
You can’t say the fans ran BCG off , and I‘m pretty sure other coaches can see and agree with why fans got “impatient “ with tubby and cal. You must have loved Jim Boeheim, lol .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT