ADVERTISEMENT

The excitement is back

Apr 2, 2009
This coaching staff is putting in work and getting DOGS on the team. Loving this so much. As an old school UK fan(born here and still living here in the bluegrass), I was 100 percent in on this hire from the jump. I was at Rupp at the press conference. It still feels surreal. All the negativity when Pope was hired...man I hope you guys are paying attention now. I haven't been this excited about UK basketball in 10 years. This is such a positive change and I am down right giddy now. I know the true UK fans feel the same. Let's go Big Blue!!!

Excitement is great! Fans need a dose of reality for this season. Brand new coach, new staff, and a team made up of 1 (maybe 2) true frosh & 12 (maybe 11) transfers - all from different colleges, never played together.

I remember playing grade school basketball and my coach came in one day and tossed me a Street and Smiths college basketball yearbook. It had Sam Bowie on the cover.. I spent hours reading it...I've still got it along with every college yearbook since the 1976-77 season.
Very nice indeed!

Reactions: Catfan2226
Excitement is great! Fans need a dose of reality for this season. Brand new coach, new staff, and a team made up of 1 (maybe 2) true frosh & 12 (maybe 11) transfers - all from different colleges, never played together.
With something we haven’t had in a very long time……A COACH!!!!! I’m optimistic pope will put together an exciting season for us next year. How much success we have remains to be seen but I think we will be a fun basketball team to watch.

I was one of the fans that was pissed when I heard the news that we were hiring Pope without talking to Donovan first. The next day I woke up excited as ever and was totally on board. I couldn't be happier with the hire so far.

Last edited:
I was one of the fans that was pissed when I heard the news that we wre hiring Pope without talking to Donovan first. The next day I woke up excited as ever and was totally on board. I couldn't be happier with the hire so far.
I look at it like this Coach Pope is one of us Loves Kentucky Basketball to the core I think

Reactions: seccats04
Cats Pause. So many memories of that. I still have a dozen or so around here somewhere. Coaching and kids who want to play for the name on the front of the jersey...I feel like I am in the twilight zone.

Reactions: lazycat75
This coaching staff is putting in work and getting DOGS on the team. Loving this so much. As an old school UK fan(born here and still living here in the bluegrass), I was 100 percent in on this hire from the jump. I was at Rupp at the press conference. It still feels surreal. All the negativity when Pope was hired...man I hope you guys are paying attention now. I haven't been this excited about UK basketball in 10 years. This is such a positive change and I am down right giddy now. I know the true UK fans feel the same. Let's go Big Blue!!!
I totally understand the initial worry some people had. I didn’t like the ones who wanted to Call Barnhart or pulls Texas A&M.

Coach Pope is one of us, and has been a head coach in a major conference before. He’s taken a school that may be one of the hardest to recruit at in the power 5 and had a top 25 team.

Yes, he isn’t proven, especially in March. He was however miles ahead of Schyer and Hubert Davis, and they are doing just fine.

The way this staff as been assembled, and the work they have done this fast shows me that they can get it done here. If Pope proves we can win this year, my confidence in him will only rise.

He has the potential to coach here and easy 15-20 years. If he becomes a perennial SEC champ, or makes a final 4 or better within his first 5 years. At least something that shows that he’s on the cusp of it.

Last edited:
I totally understand the initial worry some people had. I didn’t like the ones who wanted to Call Barnhart or pulls Texas A&M.

Coach Pope is one of us, and has been a head coach in a major conference before. He’s taken a school that may be one of the hardest to recruit at in the power 5 and had a top 25 team.

Yes, he isn’t proven, especially in March. He was however miles ahead of Schyer and Hubert Davis, and they are doing just fine.

The way this staff as been assembled, and the work they have done this fast shows me that they can get it done here. If Pope proves we can win this year, my confidence in him will only rise.

He has the potential to coach here and easy 15-29 years if he becomes a perennial SEC champ and makes a final 4 or better within his first 5 years or shows that he’s on the cusp of it.
Love this post. Couldn't agree more. Great take!

With something we haven’t had in a very long time……A COACH!!!!! I’m optimistic pope will put together an exciting season for us next year. How much success we have remains to be seen but I think we will be a fun basketball team to watch.
Agree! Can't wait to see modern offense!

Reactions: lazycat75
8 is great but 9 is fine!

I’m among the many thrilled that Calipari and his minions are gone. Calipari quit building championship caliber team years ago. Instead, more and more Calipari and his staff assembled rosters full of selfish dudes focused on showcasing their potential rather than winning games. For years it was me-first AAU basketball being played by the dudes wearing Kentucky jerseys. The fact that everyone from last season’s roster has left is a blessing (I still believe Sheppard and Big Z both made poor decisions, but it’s not my life).

The fact nearly all of Calipari’s recruits have decommitted is a gift for BBN. Like their predecessors, those dudes are going to play with a me-first, team-success-third mentality. But fortunately Arkansas now has to put up with that crap.

Go Cats!!

Last edited:
I’m among the many thrilled that Calipari and his minions are gone. Calipari quit building championship caliber team years ago. Instead, more and more Calipari and his staff assembled rosters full of selfish dudes focused on showcasing their potential rather than winning games. For years it was me-first AAU basketball being played by the dudes wearing Kentucky jerseys. The fact that everyone from last season’s roster has left is a blessing (I still believe Sheppard and Big Z both made poor decisions, but that’s life)

The fact nearly all of Calipari’s recruits have decommitted is a gift for BBN. Like their predecessors, those dudes are going to play with a me-first AAU mentality. But fortunately Arkansas now has to put up with that crap.

Go Cats!!
Well said!

May start slowly and come together as the season goes and be a force come March. Gotta be hopeful.

AGREE 10000% if not more. Cannot wait to see CMP on the sideline leading this team of men to battle in the tough SEC 16 team field this year. Gonna be a rough road for all 16 SEC teams.

Reactions: Bloodtypeblue
Remember the Cat's Pause magazine?
Been watching and following UK since Kevin Grevey was a freshman. So I have been around awhile. I have a bunch of those magazines and found the 96 year and reread it and remembered the glory days. Love this post and so happy to have the feeling of the old days again. I had been wanting Calipari gone for the last few years.

I'm excited for the first time in a long time as well. But it's not because of the individual players that are committing. It's because the goal/priority of the program has shifted back to what it should be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT