ADVERTISEMENT

Terrence Shannon

That is the fault of all the false claims across the country. It sucks but that’s the reason I’m a big proponent that anyone who is found guilty of false claims like that should receive the same punishment the victim would have gotten had it been real.
No problem with that approach. But to me it's like we were talking in that thread where we all helped that family out and someone came in and pointed out the two father thing. Yeah one could immediately assume the worst and that they were just a grifter, but as it turns out there was a reasonable explanation.

There was a guy in Lex that used to panhandle in a wheel chair and act mentally handicapped. I saw him at Fayette mall one day around the food court and offered to buy him some food, I did so. Later that same day I saw him being called out for faking it on one of the local stations.

I find it similar, if I start immediately discounting abuse victims due to a few bad apples then I just contribute to making it harder for the already difficult process of coming forward in some type of abuse scenario. And if I let that bad taste of the schmuck phony at the mall make me never be charitable again then I'm doing a diservice to myself, because being in a position to help feels good, but also to those folks I'd be likely to help.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT