ADVERTISEMENT

TE Questions

K_TIME

All-American
Jan 2, 2003
1. I keep hearing how Dingle is a poor blocker....I don't see it thus far...at least this season. I think he got blew up on the bad trick play to start the USC game last year and a reputation of a bad blocker followed him. But he seems to play strong thus far in blocking as far as I can see.

2. Also, would it be crazy to argue Bates is our best TE all around? I personally think he's the best blocker (even a bit over Kattus) and he has hands that I never see drop a ball. Maybe he's not much of an athlete.....but he killed a Florida edge on Davis 75 yard TD that he went un-touched. I think Brendan is a dang good TE for his UK career.

1. I keep hearing how Dingle is a poor blocker....I don't see it thus far...at least this season. I think he got blew up on the bad trick play to start the USC game last year and a reputation of a bad blocker followed him. But he seems to play strong thus far in blocking as far as I can see.

2. Also, would it be crazy to argue Bates is our best TE all around? I personally think he's the best blocker (even a bit over Kattus) and he has hands that I never see drop a ball. Maybe he's not much of an athlete.....but he killed a Florida edge on Davis 75 yard TD that he went un-touched. I think Brendan is a dang good TE for his UK career.
What I can't figure out why we don't target our TE more! Force those LB and safety's attention to the middle before taking deep shots!

Bates probably is out best TE. Kattus a close second. Those guys block and are serviceable in the past game.

Dingle is a terrible blocker but ever so slightly getting better. On rays 75 yard run he should've been called for holding for bear hugging a guy that he should've been able to pancake.

I say slightly because at least he doesn't completely whiff anymore. Instead he just gets dominated. He was completely blown up by a db in the Florida game too. It's sad to watch and really no excuse given his great size

Reactions: EliteBlue
Bates probably is out best TE. Kattus a close second. Those guys block and are serviceable in the past game.

Dingle is a terrible blocker but ever so slightly getting better. On rays 75 yard run he should've been called for holding for bear hugging a guy that he should've been able to pancake.

I say slightly because at least he doesn't completely whiff anymore. Instead he just gets dominated. He was completely blown up by a db in the Florida game too. It's sad to watch and really no excuse given his great size
I didn’t see a hold on Dingle on Ray 75 yards run

I didn’t see a hold on Dingle on Ray 75 yards run

You can only see it from the end zone angle. He is right at the point of attack and bear hugs a defender that's running himself out of the play. His hands are supposed to be inside. Anything with hands outside like that is technically a hold and could've been called. Those calls usually go against but on this day we got pretty favorable officiating, especially on the 4th and 1 where we should've been called for forcing the OL to jump. Wallace definitely got bailed out on that one.

It's like he's never run blocked before in his life and you know that isn't the case. Before him, our tes were excellent blockers. Even Cummings is much better despite lacking the prototype build.

Whether or not Dingle is a "poor" blocker, Kattus and Bates are better and more willing blockers than Dingle. That's what I see.

Coach Coen uses TEs several ways, inline, motion, in the slot, and lead blocker. Some of these roles overlap, but there are different skill sets for TEs. Kattus and Bates appear to be the best blockers, and they are primarily inline TEs. Dingle, Anderson, and Cummings are better pure pass receivers, not that Kattus or Bates are poor receivers.

I believe Coach Coen has held back some offensive material for this game. Maybe he would have opened the play book more against FL last week if FL had forced him to, but the Gators didn't force his hand. I think we will see more "12 personnel" and more involvement of TEs in our passing game this week. Just a guess but it makes sense, especially with the recent drops by our WRs. So far, we haven't seen very much of Cummings or Anderson, but both of those guys can move and catch.

Last edited:
Reactions: EliteBlue
I, too, wish we'd use the TEs more as receivers. However, I can't say I watch them a lot to determine if they're actually open. I just want Leary to find the open guy from whatever position and keep the sticks moving. I would also like to see a lot more emphasis on 8-15 yard passes vs throwing bombs. Very low percentage play on bombs and a 15-yard pass can turn into much more if the pass is thrown correctly and the receiver can break a tackle.

Although they haven't used them that much in the passing game, we've put all 4 TEs on film so that makes it more difficult for UGA defensive planning, they can't sluff off on the TE because all of them are a threat to get targeted.

Can't wait to see what Coen has cooked up for Georgia.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Although they haven't used them that much in the passing game, we've put all 4 TEs on film so that makes it more difficult for UGA defensive planning, they can't sluff off on the TE because all of them are a threat to get targeted.

Can't wait to see what Coen has cooked up for Georgia.

After watching UK's loss to GA in Athens in 2021, I was very impressed by Coach Coen's aggressiveness. That GA team was better than this one, and they beat us easily. But Coen and Levis kept attacking very aggressively until the final horn, and we moved the chains. Granted, GA had some backups on the defense in the game late. But Coen is relentless. We saw that again when UK beat IA in the Citrus Bowl at the end of that season.

So I feel sure Coen has been saving some material in his play book for this game. To one extent or another, that almost has to involve our TEs. I'm sure there will also be some more subtle features and nuances with our running game. There will be some different eye candy and misdirection because GA's defenders are quick and some of them are young. We just have to keep from outsmarting ourselves, because we really need to play a clean game tomorrow.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I agree and feel UK fans have said this for a decade.
And during that decade, Mark Stoops has built our football program from an SEC cellar dweller into a team that is traveling to Athens undefeated this weekend as the nation's #20 team. Can't help but be amused by fans who still think they understand the tactics of the game of football better than our coaches do.

Having said that, my gut tells me that we will probably see more of the TEs this weekend, and that Coach Coen has been holding this back on purpose.

And during that decade, Mark Stoops has built our football program from an SEC cellar dweller into a team that is traveling to Athens undefeated this weekend as the nation's #20 team. Can't help but be amused by fans who still think they understand the tactics of the game of football better than our coaches do.

Having said that, my gut tells me that we will probably see more of the TEs this weekend, and that Coach Coen has been holding this back on purpose.
So you trash fans who say the TE's should be used more but then turn around and agree with them? 🤣🤣🤣

Maybe if we utilized the TE's more we would have progressed even further. Has that thought ever crossed your mind?

• Haha
Reactions: PhattyJ4UK
So you trash fans who say the TE's should be used more but then turn around and agree with them? 🤣🤣🤣

Maybe if we utilized the TE's more we would have progressed even further. Has that thought ever crossed your mind?
Just chill. You have a very thin skin. Nobody "trashed" you. Although I have seen you trash a lot of other fans.

But again, I believe our coaches know more about tactical football than you do. That isn't "trashing". It's just a statement of the obvious. If you knew as much about tactical football as our coaches, you would be a Power 5 coach. It's like saying my surgeon knows more about surgery than you do. But I see you still think you know more than our coaches, with your closing narrative that our program would have progressed farther (not further) if our coaches followed your wisdom with utilization of TEs. That is bizarre. You believe what you believe, but just stop with the nonsense.

Just chill. You have a very thin skin. Nobody "trashed" you. Although I have seen you trash a lot of other fans.

But again, I believe our coaches know more about tactical football than you do. That isn't "trashing". It's just a statement of the obvious. If you knew as much about tactical football as our coaches, you would be a Power 5 coach. It's like saying my surgeon knows more about surgery than you do. But I see you still think you know more than our coaches, with your closing narrative that our program would have progressed farther (not further) if our coaches followed your wisdom with utilization of TEs. That is bizarre. You believe what you believe, but just stop with the nonsense.

Man, if you are going to try and talk down to someone by “correcting” them, it doesn’t help when you are incorrect about the snarky point you are trying to make.

Farther is for physical distances while further for figurative distances.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting the UK football program is trying to travel to a geographical location that is farther away.

Many times it is better to say less…

Sorry to everyone else for adding to this getting off topic, but just thought this was incredibly ironic.

Last edited:
Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Man, if you are going to try and talk down to someone by “correcting” them, it doesn’t help when you are incorrect about the snarky point you are trying to make.

Farther is for physical distances while further for figurative distances.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting the UK football program is trying to travel to a geographical location that is farther away.

Sorry to everyone else for adding to this getting off topic, but just thought this was incredibly ironic.

LOL!

Definition of "farther", American Heritage Dictionary.

1. Too or at a more distant or remote point.

2. To or at a more advanced point or stage.

3. To a greater extent or degree.

See #2 and #3 above. There, I did the work for you. Ironic indeed. You screwed up there, professor.

LOL!

Definition of "farther", American Heritage Dictionary.

1. Too or at a more distant or remote point.

2. To or at a more advanced point or stage.

3. To a greater extent or degree.

See #2 and #3 above. There, I did the work for you. Ironic indeed. You screwed up there, professor.

Great job.

Now, go do the same for further, since that is the word you were trying to correct in the first place. I think you will find he wasn’t incorrect using “further”.

Great job.

Now, go do the same for further, since that is the word you were trying to correct in the first place. I think you will find he wasn’t incorrect using “further”.
You claimed my use of "farther" was gramatically incorrect. You were wrong. You sure like conflicts. Very brave. Just give it up.

Great job.

Here, I will do the work for you again.

"Further", American Heritage Dictionary.

1. More distant in degree, time or space.

2. Additional.

He wasn't claiming there is an additional program. He wasn't claiming the program was more distant in degree time, or space. He asked me if I have considered whether the program would have progressed "further" if our coaches followed his advice. "Farther" was the correct adverb.

You do not sound embarrassed yet, but you should be. Just stop.

Here, I will do the work for you again.

"Further", American Heritage Dictionary.

1. More distant in degree, time or space.

2. Additional.

He wasn't claiming there is an additional program. He wasn't claiming the program was more distant in degree time, or space. He asked me if I have considered whether the program would have progressed "further" if our coaches followed his advice. "Farther" was the correct adverb.

You do not sound embarrassed yet, but you should be. Just stop.

You know, I am not embarrassed by anything because the intent of the Creed’s post was to suggest the program would be at a higher degree so to speak, but that doesn’t even matter. Regardless, I should’ve known better than to respond to you.

Im not someone who likes conflict or even goes looking for it. If that wasn’t true, you would see evidence on this site since I’ve been posting here since 2003, but you won’t.

However, I finally responded to one of your posts because you are so condescending so many of the times you respond to anyone, and I just don’t get it.

Regardless, these replies have derailed this thread about TEs enough, so I won’t be responding to you again.

Back to topic.

Here’s to hoping that the UK TEs have an extraordinary day, and the UK defense mitigates Bowers to a UK upset in Athens.

You know, I am not embarrassed by anything because the intent of the Creed’s post was to suggest the program would be at a higher degree so to speak,

And I responded to that. Let's get this straight. You didn't like my response. You could have said "I don't like your response". But instead you made a petty BS claim that I was incorrect with my grammar.

Regardless, I should’ve known better than to respond to you.

I thought you didn't like posters "talking down" to other posters. I see you have another set of rules for yourself.

Im not someone who likes conflict or even goes looking for it. However, I finally responded to one of your posts because you are so condescending so many of the times you respond to anyone, and I just don’t get it.

I am responding TO YOU because you were so condescending TO ME as to criticize my grammar incorrectly without even looking in a dictionary first. That's how bad you wanted to start a conflict. Hypocrite.

Regardless, these replies have derailed this thread about TEs enough, so I won’t be responding to you again.

Back to topic.
It was your doing. You could have, and should have, avoided it altogether. Back to topic.

And I responded to that. Let's get this straight. You didn't like my response. You could have said "I don't like your response". But instead you made a petty BS claim that I was incorrect with my grammar.

I thought you didn''t like posters "talking down" to other posters. I see you have another set of rules for yourself.

I am responding TO YOU because you were so condescending TO ME as to criticize my grammar incorrectly without even looking in a dictionary first. That's how bad you wanted to start a conflict. Hypocrite.

It was your doing. You could have avoided it altogether.

You are right... my initial response did start it b/c you were being petty about someone's grammar when that poster wasn't wrong. My initial response did say the wrong thing... I should've just asked you why you think it's necessary to be so snarky with your tone so often?

Instead, this back and forth mess started b/c I didn't try to take the high road.

It was just ironic that in your snarky tone of trying to correct someone else, you were "correcting" something that wasn't incorrect, so I commented. I shouldn't have addressed your wording since that caused you to miss my original point altogether.

At this point, let's just get back on topic, please.

You are right... my initial response did start it b/c you were being petty about someone's grammar when that poster wasn't wrong. My initial response did say the wrong thing... I should've just asked you why you think it's necessary to be so snarky with your tone so often?

Instead, this back and forth mess started b/c I didn't try to take the high road.

It was just ironic that in your snarky tone of trying to correct someone else, you were "correcting" something that wasn't incorrect, so I commented. I shouldn't have addressed your wording since that caused you to miss my original point altogether.

At this point, let's just get back on topic, please.
High road?? That's preposterous. You ambushed me with some contrived BS about my grammar. Third man in. I responded to you and you didn't like that. You are such a shameless hypocrite. I thought you were done. Guess not.

Last edited:
You can only see it from the end zone angle. He is right at the point of attack and bear hugs a defender that's running himself out of the play. His hands are supposed to be inside. Anything with hands outside like that is technically a hold and could've been called. Those calls usually go against but on this day we got pretty favorable officiating, especially on the 4th and 1 where we should've been called for forcing the OL to jump. Wallace definitely got bailed out on that one.

It's like he's never run blocked before in his life and you know that isn't the case. Before him, our tes were excellent blockers. Even Cummings is much better despite lacking the prototype build.
Excellent analysis.

We can see which TEs Coach Coen is inclined to get onto the field. He sees them every day.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT