ADVERTISEMENT

Dingle

Caveman Catfan

All-American
Sep 1, 2002
In a talented TE room with speed (Cummings), toughness (Bates, Kattus) and high ceiling youth (Anderson), is he the best?

He may be but he’s got the best hands on the team. I would try to get him matched up on a LB as much as I could if I was Coen. Dude can play. Let Brown and Robinson threaten the safeties and feed Dingle. JMO.

Reactions: RunninRichie
He may be but he’s got the best hands on the team. I would try to get him matched up on a LB as much as I could if I was Coen. Dude can play. Let Brown and Robinson threaten the safeties and feed Dingle. JMO.

They're basically playing him at wr now. They can't afford to have him tight with any blocking responsibility.

What should really happen is they tell him he won't play until he puts in the efforts to be a good blocker. He has all the physical tools so there are no excuses

Gotta hold onto the ball, too. Made a great catch and run. Can't let some DB punch the ball out - just can't let that happen.

They're basically playing him at wr now. They can't afford to have him tight with any blocking responsibility.

What should really happen is they tell him he won't play until he puts in the efforts to be a good blocker. He has all the physical tools so there are no excuses
Kattus and Bates both whiffed on blocks too. TE room is athletic and dynamic in passing but lays eggs when blocking.

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
Kattus and Bates both whiffed on blocks too. TE room is athletic and dynamic in passing but lays eggs when blocking.

Whiffing on a block here and there while typically being very solid/good in the run game is a vast difference from being unplayable at the point of attack.

There is no excuse for his consistent level of awfulness in blocking

Reactions: K_TIME
Whiffing on a block here and there while typically being very solid/good in the run game is a vast difference from being unplayable at the point of attack.

There is no excuse for his consistent level of awfulness in blocking
I will never understand TEs that don’t/won’t/can’t block.

If your goal is the NFL (and it is for a lot of these kids) all of this is on tape. Every play will be scrutinized if you are draft eligible.

TEs are as much valued for their blocking as receiving ability. You have to block!

• Love
Reactions: bigblueinsanity
No only because he's an atrocious blocker
so is cummings, Bates can only block, to your point, blocking is obviously important, but without ever seeing Anderson, I don't think we have a complete TE (which is often rare) and without seeing Anderson, Dingle is by far, the best receiving tight end we have and needs to play more. We waste him IMO, in the day an age where offenses look to create mismatches we just do not with Dingle. Coen seems enamored with cummings, who again IMO, isn't as good as he seems to think he is. No disrespect to the kid, but his entire point is to create match ups problems, so why not do it with Dingle?

We have several really good options at TE, but we don't have a Brock Bowers (a complete TE that is elite as a blocker and elite as a receiving threat). Granted, not many college teams ever have dudes like him.

You gotta mix it up and for the most part we've done a good job. But you can't roll out Bates and ONLY use him to block, or Dingle and ONLY use him as a target.

Dingle has a physical tools to be a good blocker, Kattus has the hands to be a good target. I feel good about both of them. We haven't seen enough of Anderson yet but got a lot of praise in the offseason.

Reactions: JPFisher
There are receiving TE's and blocking TE's and he is a receiving TE. Only the elite can do both. He is not a blocking TE that is Bates. And his fumble, it was from effort fighting for extra yards, it happens. Not like he put it on the ground every game. Without his great catch, you wouldn't have had to the chance to fumble, so,,,,.

In all fairness Georgia is the only one with a Brock Bowers,far and away the best TE in college ball.

Reactions: The-Hack
I will never understand TEs that don’t/won’t/can’t block.

If your goal is the NFL (and it is for a lot of these kids) all of this is on tape. Every play will be scrutinized if you are draft eligible.

TEs are as much valued for their blocking as receiving ability. You have to block!

This. He's doing himself a disservice by not focusing on blocking. He should definitely be an NFL TE but neglecting that very important role will cost him sundays.

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
Kattus was known by all last year as one of the meanest blocking TE in the SEC. So he has had a bad play or two this year. Does not make him a bad blocker. Go back and watch tape on him. Boy can lay wood to big defensive linemen. Dingle is the best receiving TE we have. Not sure how we can question a deep room like this. Not sure there is a player in the NCAA that has graded at 100 at all ever. No one will be perfect. If that is the catalyst to be on the field then we will field a team with no players or coaches, heck for that matter no fan either. lol

Kattus was known by all last year as one of the meanest blocking TE in the SEC. So he has had a bad play or two this year. Does not make him a bad blocker. Go back and watch tape on him. Boy can lay wood to big defensive linemen. Dingle is the best receiving TE we have. Not sure how we can question a deep room like this. Not sure there is a player in the NCAA that has graded at 100 at all ever. No one will be perfect. If that is the catalyst to be on the field then we will field a team with no players or coaches, heck for that matter no fan either. lol
My comment was meant to highlight the humanness of the TE room in defense of Dingle, and not to suggest that imperfect humans shouldn't be able to take the field. Our TE room is great, but laid an egg blocking against Akron. I could've phrased that better to emphasize my point in my initial response.

There is a reason kattus starts and is on on tons of snaps. It isn't because of his elite pass catching.

There is a reason kattus starts and is on on tons of snaps. It isn't because of his elite pass catching.
Agree Kattus can also catch. But he got on the field last year because of his nasty blocking attitude. At least that is what Stoops stated last year. I think all of our TE can catch the ball without issue. Bates and Kattus are by far the best blocking TE on the team. Dingle misses blocking assignments more than those 2. Cummings does not block well but is a great route runner and can catch. Not sure why we are not seeing him (other than the blocking issues).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT