ADVERTISEMENT

Talent Evaluation here

uk78

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
I read when we get some of these new recruits where some will post and say that person will be a back-up, or list the positions and minutes based upon their views. That's fine it is a discussion board. But, think about this please. You may not know what you are talking about. Say, D.J. Wagner was transferring from another program to us. Most would be wetting their pants, "Oh wow we are getting a 5 star, he is going to be a pro, he is an impact player, etc." Right now, I would take every guard recruit we have over him. Now, he may prove to be awesome but we can say that about those we have landed as well. I am very excited by all that Coach Pope has accomplished and think we lucked out with the right guy for now and the future. It seems he also is recruiting shooters (a constant complaint here over the years for us recruiting athletes over fundamental basketball players) and whom will fit with his system. I can't wait to see our team perform. It's all really really good and perhaps amazing the line-up I am seeing.

I agree. None of us know really how these guys will be used and that is one of the reasons the upcoming season will be exciting. I think Pope will use his bench more than Calipari ever did. Should be fun and I am looking forward to it.
Stats sheet from last season looked like he used about 10 guys at 10 or more minutes with the high being Robinson at 29 per. This means we're probably running and gunning. I've always thought that if you were running that many, then fouls shouldn't be an issue, so hopefully we'll see some super aggressive defense along with that as well. If these guys are cohesive as a unit, it should be a very fun year of basketball as most of our guys are used to running at least 20 plus. Fresh legs are never a bad thing on the defensive end, and the free throw line.

I read when we get some of these new recruits where some will post and say that person will be a back-up, or list the positions and minutes based upon their views. That's fine it is a discussion board. But, think about this please. You may not know what you are talking about. Say, D.J. Wagner was transferring from another program to us. Most would be wetting their pants, "Oh wow we are getting a 5 star, he is going to be a pro, he is an impact player, etc." Right now, I would take every guard recruit we have over him. Now, he may prove to be awesome but we can say that about those we have landed as well. I am very excited by all that Coach Pope has accomplished and think we lucked out with the right guy for now and the future. It seems he also is recruiting shooters (a constant complaint here over the years for us recruiting athletes over fundamental basketball players) and whom will fit with his system. I can't wait to see our team perform. It's all really really good and perhaps amazing the line-up I am seeing.
I see where you are coming from: I agree with most but the fans wetting themselves over DJ. Louisville fans maybe.

You think people would wet their pants over an overrated DJ Wagner. I think people that cannot read or write might think this or casual followers. Come on most of our fans live and breathe Basketball and know that DJ, Bradshaw and Edwards were way over rated. I think our fans would rather have Lamont Butler over DJ. How in the world does everything come back to the 5* thing. How many teams in the final four over the past few years had 0 5* players. FAU, SDSU and such. I believe we will be a much better product with Pope running the show, we might not be the flashy new thing with lights and sounds but we will be good. After all the great philosopher of the 1980's said it best "Its hip to be Square", lol.

I see where you are coming from: I agree with most but the fans wetting themselves over DJ. Louisville fans maybe.

You think people would wet their pants over an overrated DJ Wagner. I think people that cannot read or write might think this or casual followers. Come on most of our fans live and breathe Basketball and know that DJ, Bradshaw and Edwards were way over rated. I think our fans would rather have Lamont Butler over DJ. How in the world does everything come back to the 5* thing. How many teams in the final four over the past few years had 0 5* players. FAU, SDSU and such. I believe we will be a much better product with Pope running the show, we might not be the flashy new thing with lights and sounds but we will be good. After all the great philosopher of the 1980's said it best "Its hip to be Square", lol.
I think other schools fans would absolutely go crazy over Wagner in a similar situation. High five-star, McDs, 10 ppg, 2 boards, over 3 assists per game, plus people who didn’t live through it would have no reason not to innocently turn the situation on its ear and be all: “….and a Hall of Fame coach saw something in Wagner that made him start him all year over a guy who’s going to be drafted in the lottery and was the best perimeter shooter in the country last year*!!!!!!!!!”

*Remember that technically Reed did shoot a higher percentage from 3 than Brea did; he just didn’t make enough attempts to qualify as a contender in that category. Because he spent so much time on the bench. Waiting for DJ Wagner to get his. I think OP has a decent point.

I think other schools fans would absolutely go crazy over Wagner in a similar situation. High five-star, McDs, 10 ppg, 2 boards, over 3 assists per game, plus people who didn’t live through it would have no reason not to innocently turn the situation on its ear and be all: “….and a Hall of Fame coach saw something in Wagner that made him start him all year over a guy who’s going to be drafted in the lottery and was the best perimeter shooter in the country last year*!!!!!!!!!”

*Remember that technically Reed did shoot a higher percentage from 3 than Brea did; he just didn’t make enough attempts to qualify as a contender in that category. Because he spent so much time on the bench. Waiting for DJ Wagner to get his. I think OP has a decent point.
There is legitimate space to say that having Reed come off the bench may have contributed to slow starts but he had plenty of time to take more shots, he generally didn't start but I see no valid argument he did not have starter minutes.

Take Kerr Kriisa for example. Last year when he transferred from Arizona to West Virginia he was a top 50 transfer. He didn’t hurt himself stat wise and most of his stats saw an uptick, but all of a sudden this year he’s ranked 125 in the portal rankings. That’s why I don’t value the rankings like some here do.

I think Garrison will start over Carr, imo.
It's very possible! I think he could take a huge jump from being just a freshman last year. He took zero 3's last year. I wonder if he's at all capable of shooting them or if he just never was allowed to do it last year.

Reactions: Fox2monk
There is legitimate space to say that having Reed come off the bench may have contributed to slow starts but he had plenty of time to take more shots, he generally didn't start but I see no valid argument he did not have starter minutes.
Last year, Brea averaged 29.1 minutes, while starting 4 of 33 games. He took 6.1 threes per game.

Sheppard averaged 28.9 minutes, while starting 5 of 33 games. He took 4.4 threes per game.

Brea averaged 23.9 minutes, while starting 21 of 113 games in his four (4) years at Dayton, also taking 4.6 threes per game. He averaged 7.9 PPG and shot 43.4% from three during his career there.

Essentially, Brea was not a starter at Dayton, but was a spark plug off the bench. It will be interesting to see if he is used the same way here at Kentucky.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT