ADVERTISEMENT

Strength and Conditioning Coach

I don’t think the bball coach chooses the S&C coach. Isn’t that’s an AD hire?

So, unless he’s left, I assume it’s still the same guy we had last season.

Never understood the fascination with this. We had a few that acted like after we changed the last one it was some big upgrade. 99% of them are all doing the same thing.

I think it's probably something you just don't want to be lackluster. Get a younger guy who has some new ideas on strength and mobility. Doing things that will keep the team on the floor.

What you don't want is some crusty old guy who thinks the Presidential Fitness test is still the gold standard lol

Reactions: JASUN74
A good article. Good chance we model much after this. Pope still talks about those practices.

In my 92 vhs tape of the Cats, yep...vhs....of the team conditioning, they were in the pool treading water holding gallon jugs over their heads.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
Can only help. Tired of players after a year still looking like this dude.
the-big-bang-theory-lg.jpg

While we play teams with players that look like they have been lifting weights and roiding in the prison yard for 10 years straight. Hopefully upperclassmen transfers will help.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
A good article. Good chance we model much after this. Pope still talks about those practices.

“It’s removal of the prima donna gland.” ❤️❤️

I a thinking that part of the reason our guys never looked tip top shape, and didn't get after it in games, is because Calipari didn't really spend a lot of time teaching sets and different defenses. Probably a lot of "guys, you know the drill. Anyone wanna go to the movies?"

Pope, no question in my mind he is going to run a completely different ship, and force guys to step up their game in practice.

Last edited:
I thought Oliver was still there, thought I heard he was helping on the phones etc while Pope hired his staff.

Rock Oliver has one of the more curious career trajectories of anyone. S&c forever. Never updated his approach. UK hired someone else then he went into a non sports job (I think someone posted he was a dei chair or something) but was always sitting at the scorers table. Then somehow Uber confidant to Mitch and now played a role (of some sort) in helping pope select staff.

I have no idea what his current title is or what he really does; but he's carved out a place for himself that's for sure.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
I think Rock and Pope are close.

According to Mitch, rock was one of only four people in the meeting with Cal. Mitch, Cal, Marc hill, and rock Oliver.

I'm not saying there is anything nefarious about it, but I do think it's curious how an outdated s&c guy somehow worked his way into a created job and is Mitch's confidant.

According to Mitch, rock was one of only four people in the meeting with Cal. Mitch, Cal, Marc hill, and rock Oliver.

I'm not saying there is anything nefarious about it, but I do think it's curious how an outdated s&c guy somehow worked his way into a created job and is Mitch's confidant.
He hasn’t been on the S&C side of things since 2015 and has been in an administrative role since then. I think Rock’s strength is his connection with the student athlete and that’s a big part of his role over the past 10 years overseeing student athlete success and engagement. It’s a vital role in a lot of athletic departments and almost like the eyes and ears of the student athlete for the administrative staff.

I may have overlooked it but has Pope named who the Strength & Conditioning Coach will be ?
When Calipari was here, our inside players were so skinny and weak I often wondered what does Calipari's strength and conditioning do? I always figured that he was just a friend of Calipari's that was totally unqualified for the job

Reactions: westerncat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT