ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops On Postgame: "I'm....I'm just pissed."

This is why I like Stoops. He's always hungry. Talking about how he was frustrated about how difficult it was to get in sync and not happy with execution.

Good to hear and I hope it improves.

Although he also kinda apologized for the score at the last minute. Which whatever man. It's part of the game. Don't apologize for that.
My personal prediction was 38-3 but I'll take 44-14, a 30 point win beats any loss. GO CATS

Leary should have taken a knee. Had Bobby Petrino did that, the board would be incensed. Happy Davis had a nice run, but UK should have downed the ball and shook hands.
Stoops wanted to get Davis one more rep. Nothing wrong with that with the clock not stopping on first anymore (which results in less plays). Not our fault they chose not to tackle.

I'm never going to gripe about a player making plays. That's what they're there to do! (And now PAID to do).

I'm usually all about sportsmanship, but this "we don't wanna hurt their feelings" crap is flat out garbage.

Sportsmanship is what Stoops showed when he went out to check on Ball St's injured player. That's class. We weren't trying to run up the score; it was an inside hand off that Davis happened to break open. A player made a play. No coach should ever gripe abou that.

Again, Arkansas St got their butts handed to them today by 70+ points. Not a peep from their coach about "running it up".

It wasn't like we ran it in from the five. What's the chances of running in a 30 yard TD at the end of the game?
This. We ran it from 30+ yards away likely to move the chains one more time the next play was probably going to be a knee. Nobody expected tk score from 30yards out on a run designed between the tackles. Davis bounced it outside and made nothing into something

Come to think of it, we are definitely going to make "bad beats" tonight.... 🤣🤣🤣

Leary should have taken a knee. Had Bobby Petrino did that, the board would be incensed. Happy Davis had a nice run, but UK should have downed the ball and shook hands.
My issue is that its not like we ran one in from the 1 yard line. It was a 30-yard run and no way did any of us think Davis would basically walk into the end zone from 30
yards out.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Stoops knows and that’s why he’s pissed off - both LOS did not do crap - on defense no pressure with the front 4 QB had all day and picked us apart
The Oline was again disappointing- QB pressure almost every throw - no holes for running game immediate penetration
Stoops knows 7-5 is probably ceiling with this crew if those things don’t improve- football is won upfront and just like last year we didn’t dominate a directional school

Reactions: cathouse
yes he should have
if Davis would have gotten his knee blown out on that play everyone on here saying they had no problem running the play would be screaming "why did he just not take a knee"

the game was over there was absolutely no point in running that play

So, apparently the Ball State coach was pissed at UK and Stoops for scoring on that last drive. Man, I hate to hear that cause I've lost some respect for that dude.

To the Ball State Coach, Bite me. It's football. You don't like it? Stop us. I really hate whiny coaches like that.
The last TD was a running play from distance, not a passing play ... are the players supposed to hold back for concern to avoid hurting the opposing coaches' feelings? What a pinhead thing to complain about ... good grief. I agree ... the proper sentiment is "stop us" ... coach your players to just make the tackle and call it a day.

The last score was a running play. Not UKs fault ball state didn't contain or tackle. I don't feel UK owes any apology for it.

We covered and won by 30. I like the recognition despite that it was sloppy at times and UK clearly needs to improve before we play vandy on the road n a few weeks. 2 more cupcake types to work out kinks.
Having the first team offense on the field with less than 2 minutes to go was a Petrino move.

I remember a time this board melted down over this very thing when the shoe was on the other foot.

What did the coach say or do? Any video/audio to this?
He let Stoops have it during the handshake.
Why do you think CMS was pissed and apologized for it first thing out of his mouth?

I would like to see the same energy from CMS for scoring in the 2 minutes before halftime.

I just watched the highlights and it showed the handshake.. didn’t seem like the BS coach was pissed at all.
He let Stoops know about it and wouldn't buying his "apology". Watch him on the sideline when we score. You will understand how he felt about it.

Stoops got the message loud and clear.

If Ball States coach didn’t like that score, wait till he faces Georgia in Athens next Saturday! Georgia will try to score 100!

He let Stoops know about it and wouldn't buying his "apology". Watch him on the sideline when we score. You will understand how he felt about it.

The broadcast doesn’t show anything like this. The handshake is cordial. And if you saw him pissed on the sidelines at the game or something maybe it was because his team defense just choked and gave up a touchdown.

• Haha
The broadcast doesn’t show anything like this. The handshake is cordial. And if you saw him pissed on the sidelines at the game or something maybe it was because his team defense just choked and gave up a touchdown.
Glad you covered your bet.

• Haha
Reactions: UK67KU59
I don’t wager on sports, unless it’s horses. Maybe you do though… your the one that seems salty 😂
Nah. Never gamble on anything.

Just old school on respecting your opponent when he is already defeated and you both know it.

He let Stoops have it during the handshake.
Why do you think CMS was pissed and apologized for it first thing out of his mouth?

I would like to see the same energy from CMS for scoring in the 2 minutes before halftime.
I did not see that at all. I saw Stoops approach the BSU coach being apologetic and the BSU coach being cool with it. I have yet to see anything Stoops or the the BSU said or seen any video pointing to this. Does anyone have anything that back up these claims?

Having the first team offense on the field with less than 2 minutes to go was a Petrino move.

I remember a time this board melted down over this very thing when the shoe was on the other foot.
The only thing I would say is this was the first game, and the team was still trying to find itself. They will probably need every real game snap opportunity together they can get at this point. It's not like we play the Ball States every week. Probably the same reason we didn't see a different QB, given the lead, to gain them some experience. JMO.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
The only thing I would say is this was the first game, and the team was still trying to find itself. They will probably need every real game snap opportunity together they can get at this point. It's not like we play the Ball States every week. Probably the same reason we didn't see a different QB, given the lead, to gain them some experience. JMO.
I don't think CMS had ANY intentions of scoring. And when we did, I am pretty sure he was pissed at himself for not taking a knee.

Scoring a meaningless TD against a defeated foe is NOT his MO.

I think the ethics or whatever you want to call it of running late game offense with the game decided depend on the situation. If you’re in midseason form already and you’re leaving your first team in late for the express purpose of scoring more in a game that’s already over, then yeah, that’s a little classless. First game of the year with new starters at QB, RB, and several positions on the line is a bit different though. I don’t think getting a few more live game reps for those guys was anything outrageous in that case, especially since they weren’t even aggressive play calls for the most part.

I was surprised at the last score, but let's check the score next week when Ball St plays UGA

Only score 48, 4 more than us, against a 1-AA UT-Martin in week 1. Teams get better week 1 to week 2. So it would be bullcrap to compare UK week 1 performance to Georgia week 2 team.
Let's check the score next week vs. EKU. UC beat them to pulp, 66-13. Why does anyone have to pay to see this?
Mark Stoops is not going to run up the score on EKU, esp with Wells a former UK staff member as their head coach.

Once we get over 40 he will call off the dogs, put 2nd & 3rd stringers in, run the ball. Just the way he has always been, doesn't feel the need to pile on the points on inferior opponents. Had it done to him too often.

So what did he want the RB to do? Intentionally fall down? That would be even more insulting.
The Ball St coach was not pissed about the TD run itself. He was pissed that Coen was still calling pass plays earlier in the drive with a 23 point lead. That typically isn't done, and Stoops usually calls for the victory formation and our QB takes a knee. But our offense didn't play efficiently, and Stoops and Coen were still teaching and looking for improvement on that last drive. It's perfectly okay for the Ball St coach to be pissed. He, too, can use it as a teaching moment and explain to his players that football is a 60 minute game. In the greater scheme of things, this is nothing.

Nah. Never gamble on anything.

Just old school on respecting your opponent when he is already defeated and you both know it.
You may be old school, and that’s fine. Obviously stoops felt like he should at least address the reason for the late score, which he did with class. But, you are reading a lot into nothing in my opinion. Just because you were offended by the late score doesn’t mean ball state’s coaches or fans took great exception to it 🤔.

All I can say it boo freaking hoo. He can get over it. Maybe he can complain to Kirby next week when they are down 30 at the half.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT