ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops hit the ceiling, is that bad?

Every team wins and loses games they shouldnt... just the law of big numbers. It's the sloppy play, the seeming lack of discipline.
This team has some talent. It hasn't come together.
Irritating things include swoons in the second half of the season, giving up points at half end, lackadaisical tackling. Not all limited to though.
For a staff this heavily paid, some of that should be fixed.

Every year we lose a game we're not supposed to, and every year we win a game we're not supposed to.

Every year we go to a pointless bowl.

This is good, not great, but good. Why so much anger? Stoops isn't going to win us a title, he's not good enough to play with the big dogs. But he's good enough to have solid seasons.

I dont know what im saying, but i see so much anger on here......what did you expect?
The problem for UK is that programs don't stay the same year after year(unless it's sucking) and we play in a conference that is getting stronger all the time. If we don't move forward, we will eventually move backward.

The problem for UK is that programs don't stay the same year after year(unless it's sucking) and we play in a conference that is getting stronger all the time. If we don't move forward, we will eventually move backward.
But we're not moving more forward than the Citrus Bowl, thats UK's ceiling. Thats Stoops ceiling.

I dont even think Saban or Swinney could get UK to the playoffs any year. UK doesn't have the donors to land top recruits like Georgia, Bama, or Ohio State.

Im just saying, we need to be happy we're not Vandy, but have the perspective to realize UK isn't winning the SEC in our lifetime.

This board went bananas when UK got blown out by UGA in Athens, and thats like South Carolina fans livid that they lost by 30 to UK in Rupp.

But we're not moving more forward than the Citrus Bowl, thats UK's ceiling. Thats Stoops ceiling.

I dont even think Saban or Swinney could get UK to the playoffs any year. UK doesn't have the donors to land top recruits like Georgia, Bama, or Ohio State.
You just contradicted yourself.

Your second paragraph says Kentucky has placed a ceiling on Stoops, or anyone including Saban.

And, unfortunately, you might be right, until Stoops or a future Coach can prove you wrong.

You just contradicted yourself.

Your second paragraph says Kentucky has placed a ceiling on Stoops, or anyone including Saban.

And, unfortunately, you might be right, until Stoops or a future Coach can prove you wrong.
No, Stoops hit the ceiling. Cats aren't going any further than they already have with Stoops. I do think Saban is a better coach than Stoops, and have more wins, but i dont think he could get UK in the playoffs either.

No, Stoops hit the ceiling. Cats aren't going any further than they already have with Stoops. I do think Saban is a better coach than Stoops, and have more wins, but i dont think he could get UK in the playoffs either.
Once you speak in absolutes, you’ve lost. Congratulations, I guess.

1. Stoops has done a really good job over 11 years going from a low of 2 win season and high of 7-ish wins and Music City of Brooks era. So he did raise the bar to where Music City is our low and Citrus is our ceiling. So no matter what you want to argue....he's done better than Claiborne, Brooks, Morris, Mumme and Joker of modern era.
2. I am not calling for Stoops to be fired even if we finish 6-6/7-5. I think the future of Stoops/White/Marrow and especially Coen for a good 3 year window is enticing for UK fans to stick to the path. And with Cutter Boley and Stone Saunders in path to UK....feels like if we keep an offense like we saw vs. Tennessee....we'll be good enough going forward...and Coen is the key. HE is talented and I have confidence he'll groom Boley and Saunders like he has Levis and hopefully Leary has a great 2nd half of 2023 season.
3. But here is my big negative...I'm not fixated as much as many with $9M salary. But to have to pay $9M along with it is thru 2031. And these dumb contracts from Mitch are handuffing UK....the program has all the risk and none of the freedom. If Stoops craps the bed next year and goes 4-5 wins and we miss a bowl (which could happen).....we have no freedom to move and that isn't reasonable given Stoops signed this absurd deal during a 7-5 season...and we are likely to have another dissapointing season this year. Mitch has become a lazy AD and he is the ceiling for UK moreso than Stoops IMO.

Maybe the next coach will be worse than Stoops....but if UK has 9-10M to throw around...I'd argue we'd have more than enough money to lure a really good coach. With SEC and BIg10 looking like the 2 leagues that will be getting largest TV deals...all those ACC, PAc10, MAC, Big 12 , etc coaches will always be an easy picking ground for jobs like UK and the days of having to hope an assistant (like Stoops/Joker) or small schools (Mumme) will not be the norm. So I think the risk of another coach after Stoops isn't the same risk as the past 15-20 years.
How are two 10 win seasons a high of 7-ish?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT