ADVERTISEMENT

Appears that the Inevitable is Delayed One Year?

TheBlueMax

Junior
Jan 1, 2003
Kentucky
It's patently obvious that the annual, unnecessary mass exodus is going to happen yet again. Not good. Do YOU see a change here? Of course not. The tap dance off the hot seat has been successful. And, of course, your sense and mine tells us that this is just business as usual and is drowning out what little boos are still left after all of our furor has subsided after the big meeting and press conference was supposed to assuage our troubles and fears.

Edwards, like Livingston was at this same time, did little for our basketball fortunes -- by the way, sorry Justin, nothing personal young man, but we didn't get out of you what we expected and we're about wins, not stepping stones -- and will now slip into the ether grasping at whatever tumbleweed-like opportunity might come along in your hazy basketball future. Chalk up one more of a long, delirious burning list of names that Calipari couldn't convince to return. You and I know there are obviously more to come...just like gutting a fish. Everybody together now, "Here we go again!"

And, hey, why not take advantage of going to Kentucky if we're stupid enough to offer that possibility. What better way -- free room 200 feet from your own indoor basketball court, class only ONE semester, free training table food, free coaching, and overall, a pretty damn good existence for a kid whose only real goal is to move in and move out as soon as possible. No sense going down this same F rathole again that has been discussed ad nauseum. I'm tired of bending over though, as I'm sure many of you are; changes we thought were on the way were probably never once or twice even considered. So much for the chorus of boos that fell on very deaf ears.

So, pending the further gutting and subsequent scrambling for portalees, will this be his last year? Or, is this the mid-career middle finger that we just have to continue to tolerate?

He'll change some this year I'm sure. But it will be far too little too late. He's already created this atmosphere around the school in regards to the type of players that want to come here. It all boils down to the "players first" mindset he's championed over the years. When it worked, it was great, but the transcendently impactful freshmen have been few and far between and not enough of them on a particular team to matter. We've had more busts and average freshmen recently, and you just can't win like that. If you're gonna field a freshmen team, you've gotta have future NBA all-star type players that are ready to contribute NOW.

So yes, the inevitable has been delayed. 1? 2 years? But he'll change some I think, but like I said, won't matter.

I will say the one good thing about cal being brought back is that nate oates (barring billy d or stevens coming) is pretty much locked in to be UKs next coach. Getting the F4 under his belt shows he can get over the hump also hes just been a tremendous coach wherever he has been.

It's patently obvious that the annual, unnecessary mass exodus is going to happen yet again. Not good. Do YOU see a change here? Of course not. The tap dance off the hot seat has been successful. And, of course, your sense and mine tells us that this is just business as usual and is drowning out what little boos are still left after all of our furor has subsided after the big meeting and press conference was supposed to assuage our troubles and fears.

Edwards, like Livingston was at this same time, did little for our basketball fortunes -- by the way, sorry Justin, nothing personal young man, but we didn't get out of you what we expected and we're about wins, not stepping stones -- and will now slip into the ether grasping at whatever tumbleweed-like opportunity might come along in your hazy basketball future. Chalk up one more of a long, delirious burning list of names that Calipari couldn't convince to return. You and I know there are obviously more to come...just like gutting a fish. Everybody together now, "Here we go again!"

And, hey, why not take advantage of going to Kentucky if we're stupid enough to offer that possibility. What better way -- free room 200 feet from your own indoor basketball court, class only ONE semester, free training table food, free coaching, and overall, a pretty damn good existence for a kid whose only real goal is to move in and move out as soon as possible. No sense going down this same F rathole again that has been discussed ad nauseum. I'm tired of bending over though, as I'm sure many of you are; changes we thought were on the way were probably never once or twice even considered. So much for the chorus of boos that fell on very deaf ears.

So, pending the further gutting and subsequent scrambling for portalees, will this be his last year? Or, is this the mid-career middle finger that we just have to continue to tolerate?
I really 100% honestly believe that the unspoken subtle undercurrent of this situation is play hard look good but not hard enough to where you might get hurt and everything will be fine don't worry about the win-loss record, just make it look good so you can level up. These dumbass white KY Hicks will be fine, and have to deal with no tournament wins like they always do. Your more important than this hilljack program.
O yeah don't worry about defense either, because that doesn't show up on your stats.

He won’t change. He was already laughing at the press conference and blowing off interviews where he could show humbleness to the pissed fans. People don’t change.
He told everything when he smiled and said literally I'm looking forward to talking with Mitch. Translated that means it's going to be funny when I drag my balls on his chin again getting my narcissistic supply from you all helplessly watching because I'm bigger than ALL of you put together.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
It would be nice if there was some way fans could show their disdain in some meaningful (but respectful) way. A mass of emails won't do the trick, because I assure you they've received tens of thousands over the past few years. A boycott of games won't work because there are just too many fans that want to watch the Cats play. A flood of calls into radio shows won't work, because, well...it's done all the time and that's proven to have no impact.

But what MIGHT work is an ongoing public protest outside Memorial. Thousands of fans showing up to express they are not on board with the direction of the program. However, that would receive so much national press that we would look like fools.

So, what does that leave us? Not a damn thing. We're basically being told to shut the hell up. Fans' opinions don't matter at this point. We're all just a bunch of damn Bennies anyway.

From all that I am observing it sure seems like next season is going to be an absolute disaster. You can say well what about this past season. The difference was there were a lot of positive expectations of success whereas I don't see how anyone will have that belief for the upcoming season. That won't give Cal an excuse although it is easy to predict that is what he will do. But, when our program may not even make the tourney I don't care what the buyout will be I don't see Cal and possibly Mitch surviving again. Mitch should have fired Cal and it looks like a big mistake based so far on Cal's continued behavior.

When Gillispie was fired, Mitch told him it didn't have anything to do with the on the court performance and that it just wasn't a good fit.

Mitch would've let Gillispie run this place into the ground if it weren't for the off the court stuff and players' parents threatening. That should have been a big indiciation that Mitch doesn't care about actually fielding a winner.

Reactions: UKGrad24 and TM2013
If you couldn't see right through their goofy little joint interview I don't know what to tell you, but as it turns out - they were never going to make a change. Mitch was apparently and inexplicably caught off guard at how many wanted Cal gone...that is an elite level disconnect. They were gaslighting the fan base.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Mitch is also not looking for a replacement for Cal.

Staff changes? Not going to happen after all. Cal says he wants the team "to get older"?? - We just said goodbye to two guys that could have returned and given us needed experience...instead we are bringing in what? 5-6 more freshmen?

This program is being ruined.

I will say the one good thing about cal being brought back is that nate oates (barring billy d or stevens coming) is pretty much locked in to be UKs next coach. Getting the F4 under his belt shows he can get over the hump also hes just been a tremendous coach wherever he has been.

I agree.

These kids were all gonna fly out of here regardless. The ones that want to leave are not gonna stay because Kentucky "needs change". They will each do what they think is best for them. Now, the biggest change I wanted was for Cal to start doing whatever Duke and UNC does to get their freshmen to become sophomores. But I think the biggest change that Mitch wanted was for the basketball program to exist under the umbrella of the athletic department the same as the other sports. I'm sure that will happen but we may never see it.

Ultimately we have to win. Cal has to win. Mitch needs Cal to win. This will be an interesting season.

Excellent! You hit the nail squarely on the head. However there is one caveat I would add that we overlook, and that is playing games on national TV in front of sellout crowds. What better way to spend one year before heading off to the NBA or G League.

Im worried we are gonna miss out him by waiting so long. If he keeps crushing it at Bama he might just decide to stay and be a lifer.

Cal is in bunker mentality. Knows they won't fire him. Knows he doesn't have to do anything different. Just keep coadting and getging those big checks. Nothing will change until he thankfully leaves one day. He's been nothing but a bust since '20.

Im worried we are gonna miss out him by waiting so long. If he keeps crushing it at Bama he might just decide to stay and be a lifer.
If he wins a national title somehow, he's never leaving. Tubby is the only coach who has ever left for another college program after winning a title.

Reactions: TM2013
While I definitely feel like Cal has created this culture here to where if you come back you are a failure, now that the culture has been created, it's not going to change in a year and I think it's crazy to think so.

Cal cannot "force" anyone to stay here. Ultimately this is still a decision made by kids.

The only thing that can be done now is change the culture. Don't make it out to be where a multi year college career is considered a failure.

But that's going to take several years.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
Cal is in bunker mentality.
I read this and thought this is possibly a very good analogy. The belief that everyone who matters is supporting you, that things will turn-around ignoring the shells exploding around you, no sense of reality, and I'm fine as I am protected (salary in this case), does seem to sum it up.

While I definitely feel like Cal has created this culture here to where if you come back you are a failure, now that the culture has been created, it's not going to change in a year and I think it's crazy to think so.

Cal cannot "force" anyone to stay here. Ultimately this is still a decision made by kids.

The only thing that can be done now is change the culture. Don't make it out to be where a multi year college career is considered a failure.

But that's going to take several years.
He can force kids to sit on the bench for breathers and when play dictates it. That's how you change the culture.

What I think most realize is that by signing the 6 Freshman Cal has doomed himself already, so he really can't change anything this year.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
What I think most realize is that by signing the 6 Freshman Cal has doomed himself already, so he really can't change anything this year.
But we're SOOO young!!! So it's not my fault right hey I'm that guy that got lucky with the NBA lockout and got a title out of it( thank God I got that out of the way right hehe)

He'll change some this year I'm sure. But it will be far too little too late. He's already created this atmosphere around the school in regards to the type of players that want to come here. It all boils down to the "players first" mindset he's championed over the years. When it worked, it was great, but the transcendently impactful freshmen have been few and far between and not enough of them on a particular team to matter. We've had more busts and average freshmen recently, and you just can't win like that. If you're gonna field a freshmen team, you've gotta have future NBA all-star type players that are ready to contribute NOW.

So yes, the inevitable has been delayed. 1? 2 years? But he'll change some I think, but like I said, won't matter.
His recruiting videos they give to players is all about the nba.

I do think there’s something inherently contradictory about being “players first” in a team setting. And in a way it’s contradictory to another idea he preaches— AD and MKG taking the 5th and 4th most shots respectively—that by sacrificing your individual accolades for the team you all come out ahead. Maybe you’re a 2nd round draft pick and you sacrifice that opportunity, come back, reach new heights, and all of a sudden you’re a first rounder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT