ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops hit the ceiling, is that bad?

Louis_Skunt

Senior
Oct 4, 2013
Every year we lose a game we're not supposed to, and every year we win a game we're not supposed to.

Every year we go to a pointless bowl.

This is good, not great, but good. Why so much anger? Stoops isn't going to win us a title, he's not good enough to play with the big dogs. But he's good enough to have solid seasons.

I dont know what im saying, but i see so much anger on here......what did you expect?

Reactions: Jont0805
For me it's the SLOPPY, UNDISCIPLINED play.

For UK to get to a higher level(I'm not saying where we beat UGA and Bama) we MUST play nearly mistake free football. We were out of position on defense, missing tackles and even falling down which allowed the Vols 2 TD's!!

Against Mizzou it was penalties, TO's and the same UNDISCIPLINED play.

This is year 11 for Stoops and he is making a top 10 salary. NO EXCUSE for the self inflicted mistakes that cost you wins!!

The style he wants to play will NOT allow for it. So he deserves ALL of the criticism when they play sloppily!!

For me it's the SLOPPY, UNDISCIPLINED play.

For UK to get to a higher level(I'm not saying where we beat UGA and Bama) we MUST play nearly mistake free football. We were out of position on defense, missing tackles and even falling down which allowed the Vols 2 TD's!!

Against Mizzou it was penalties, TO's and the same UNDISCIPLINED play.

This is year 11 for Stoops and he is making a top 10 salary. NO EXCUSE for the self inflicted mistakes that cost you wins!!

The style he wants to play will NOT allow for it. So he deserves ALL of the criticism when they play sloppily!!
This is interesting that our AD believes he was worthy of making a lot, considering he's never really accomplished much. I mean, whats his best year, 5th in the SEC?

As for the play, im used to it. We dont have UGA, Bama type talent, and we definitely dont have top notch coaching. Vols beat us every year, i was expecting it, but apparently some were not.

Hate to break the news but we’re not beating anyone we’re not supposed to this year. I actually thought that Bama and the Dawgs were the two out of reach but we have and will still lose to a couple of teams that we shouldn’t. I’ll be surprised if we win two more games, there’s a better shot at going 0-4 than 2-2 imo and that’s sad for the type of season we all expected. All systems failure, everyone involved with the program needs an attitude check from the coaches down.

This is interesting that our AD believes he was worthy of making a lot, considering he's never really accomplished much. I mean, whats his best year, 5th in the SEC?

As for the play, im used to it. We dont have UGA, Bama type talent, and we definitely dont have top notch coaching. Vols beat us every year, i was expecting it, but apparently some were not.
T3 in 2018 and 4th in 2021

Every year we lose a game we're not supposed to, and every year we win a game we're not supposed to.

This is good, not great, but good. Why so much anger? Stoops isn't going to win us a title, he's not good enough to play with the big dogs. But he's good enough to have solid seasons.

I dont know what im saying, but i see so much anger on here......what did you expect?
You must be young. For us older guys , bowl games are few and far between that really matter. SEC fans consider the Orange , Sugar, Cotton, and Rose with the new Fiesta Bowl are the only ones worth playing.

You must be young. For us older guys , bowl games are few and far between that really matter. SEC fans consider the Orange , Sugar, Cotton, and Rose with the new Fiesta Bowl are the only ones worth playing.
Unless youre in the playoffs, the bowls mean nothing. The stands are 60-70% empty, theres nothing on the line, win or lose. Do you remember who won the Liberty Bowl last year? or the Music City Bowl, what about the Independence Bowl? Theyre are pointless. Its just a venue so businesses can make a little more money off the fan while you watch a exhibition.

Reactions: TheJuddDome
UK’s recruiting ranks bottom third in the SEC year after year, and the SEC results for UK are bottom third year after year. So Stoops isn’t over achieving through coaching by any stretch. And he’s the sixth highest paid coach in the country?? It doesn’t compute. We could do better.

CMS teams play above its talent level most years. Missouri, Carolina, UF and UT all had higher ranked classes the last 4 years yet CMS has more than held his own against everyone with maybe the exception of UT. If UK is to move up the chain recruiting has to improve. Getting the Ohio kids after OSU has picked the ones they won't will not get you where you want to be. FL, TX, LA, NC, GA all produce more and better talent. I know it's easier said than done, but teams getting to where UK wants to be are recruiting the deep south hard.

We don't have to be UGA or Bama to play a clean game. I'm not talking about an interception of fumble here or there, I'm talking about basic football.

People think discipline is just penalties. It isn't. It's tackling. It's choosing angles. It's sitting down in your zone on defense, or the RB stepping up and making the block even though it means taking on a bulldozer with brains. It's just being aware and doing your damn job on the field. And how about stfu when you do something good and just play on. Those things are taught.

When you can't recruit worth a damn, you better get that kind of stuff right. If an average team covers just the basic skills then that will produce an extra win or two per season. That is a lot in college football, especially the SEC.

Stoops makes nine million a year, is the ninth highest paid coach in D1 football, and he can't even instill basic techniques and fundamentals in his players. His teams suffer from the same exact mistakes year in and out. I don't want to hear about assistants either. We have a rotating door at OC. Who hires them?

Right now UK is like a rich man who has nine million to buy a ride. For nine million he could have a Aston Martin, but instead he spends nine million on an effing Ford f-150. That man is a fool.

If 10 win seasons at UK don't move the needle for you you might as well pick you a bandwagon team and stop crapping all over this one.

Last edited:
Hate to break the news but we’re not beating anyone we’re not supposed to this year. I actually thought that Bama and the Dawgs were the two out of reach but we have and will still lose to a couple of teams that we shouldn’t. I’ll be surprised if we win two more games, there’s a better shot at going 0-4 than 2-2 imo and that’s sad for the type of season we all expected. All systems failure, everyone involved with the program needs an attitude check from the coaches down.
This is more about unrealistic expectations than anything. I still think we have a good coach and team. I felt we had a chance to have a special year but recognized several games on the schedule could easily go either way. Which games have we lost that we shouldn't lose this year? You are foolishly discounting this competition if you considered these sure wins.

Stoops won 10 games twice in the last five years. I never thought I'd see a 10 win season in my life and I saw two; and we probably have another few scattered about in the years to come.

If posters are truly honest, that's almost surely the ceiling. Win 6-8 games a year and every so often hit 9-10 wins. It's going to take a monumental effort and a bunch of good bounces for any east team to beat Georgia. That isn't changing any time soon.

I think we could find a much better coach for what Stoop is being paid. Fire Barnhart and then go find a coach worth that money.

Reactions: Louis_Skunt and K86
At year 11 we know what we have with Stoops. And the last two years are trending down. Starting next year our schedule gets even tougher. I hope Stoops moves on, maybe retires early like his brother, or Iowa comes calling.

For $9 million, I think realistically we could get Chadwell from Liberty. The guy has won at a very high level at two different schools now. I know it's not the SEC but we won't get anybody with a better resume.

Reactions: bigbluedon
At year 11 we know what we have with Stoops. And the last two years are trending down. Starting next year our schedule gets even tougher. I hope Stoops moves on, maybe retires early like his brother, or Iowa comes calling.

For $9 million, I think realistically we could get Chadwell from Liberty. The guy has won at a very high level at two different schools now. I know it's not the SEC but we won't get anybody with a better resume.
You are trying to run off somebody with a better resume.

FWIW, while probably overall a lesser coach, it was rare to be completely embarrassed, lost, and the coaches make nonsense decisions under Rich Brooks. Win or lose, our team played hard and we were respectable almost always (maybe this is some blue colored goggles, correct me if I’m wrong).

Stoops has a higher ceiling, but it can become a circus fast with terrible game management and knuckle heads costing us truly special seasons.

I’m still strongly on the side of us needing stoops, but it’s infuriating to see the mental
errors so consistently. I do understand it’s a different era, but if I see us go deep on 3rd and 3 again, mangle the clock before the half, or body slam a player after the whistle, I’m going to vomit.

We don't have to be UGA or Bama to play a clean game. I'm not talking about an interception of fumble here or there, I'm talking about basic football.

People think discipline is just penalties. It isn't. It's tackling. It's choosing angles. It's sitting down in your zone on defense, or the RB stepping up and making the block even though it means taking on a bulldozer with brains. It's just being aware and doing your damn job on the field. And how about stfu when you do something good and just play on. Those things are taught.

When you can't recruit worth a damn, you better get that kind of stuff right. If an average team covers just the basic skills then that will produce an extra win or two per season. That is a lot in college football, especially the SEC.

Stoops makes nine million a year, is the ninth highest paid coach in D1 football, and he can't even instill basic techniques and fundamentals in his players. His teams suffer from the same exact mistakes year in and out. I don't want to hear about assistants either. We have a rotating door at OC. Who hires them?

Right now UK is like a rich man who has nine million to buy a ride. For nine million he could have a Aston Martin, but instead he spends nine million on an effing Ford f-150. That man is a fool.
Damn good post ... there are tons of stuff I expect from our team .. coming off a bye week I'd expect our defensive lineman to be disciplined enough ( there's that word again) to sprint .. YES SPRINT back to the line and get in a stance before Tn snaps the ball .. what signal would it send to the Tn offense if we actually beat them to the LOS and were saying " F'ing bring it on as fast as you want " instead of standing upright staring at the sidelines as the ball is being snapped . we could start there . Had 2 weeks to prepare for the up tempo .. and we still looked shocked TN was sprinting to the kine and snapping the ball before we were set . Is it any surprise they mowed us over ?? Hell we couldn't get in a stance , is it hard to block a guy who is standing up with a high center of gravity ? No discipline .

Also I'd be happy if we could stay close to the this imaginary ceiling and not lose home games to So Car and Vandy , or give up 60 at Tn , or look unmotivated and lost this year against Mz . Simple things that shouldn't happen . There were 2 opportunities to really move up the ladder .. at Ole miss last year , and Mz at home this year , The win last year puts us in the top ten and IMO totally changes the direction of the season , and the W this year puts us at 6-1 going into the bye week and again , changes the directory of the season .. we beat Tn if we dont crap the bed against Mz .. JMHO .

I think we all expected exactly this, and we are unhappy because we want more. We are tired of this being the expectation. Appreciate all he has done, but let's continue building, not simply accept "okay-ish" until it slips back down to 3 wins and we are re-building all over again.

Stoops won 10 games twice in the last five years. I never thought I'd see a 10 win season in my life and I saw two; and we probably have another few scattered about in the years to come.

If posters are truly honest, that's almost surely the ceiling. Win 6-8 games a year and every so often hit 9-10 wins. It's going to take a monumental effort and a bunch of good bounces for any east team to beat Georgia. That isn't changing any time soon.

This is correct.

I am not sure with the expansion and NIL pay gap that 10 wins will even happen going forward. It will take a monumental effort.

I remember people saying 7-8(mostly) wins would be fine every year. I'm on that boat. Although, 9 million a year is a bit much for that.
Why not, he gets us in a bowl every year and we are in Top 25 at the end of the year lately. We are a legit team in the SEC, not Bama or Georgia but not Vandy or Miss St. Teams aren’t lining up to have us as homecoming like before.

• Love
Reactions: grevey35
I guarantee you there is someone out there that can do better than Stoops has done and I am one that is willing to take the chance. Hope he leaves for Iowa or Mich or anywhere really. We just need new blood and we need to play like we are a well coached football team. Too many coaches coming and going at UK right now.

Reactions: K86

Been lots of coaches at that level who were great candidates with the same resumes who didn't bring success with them. Tom Herman was one, years ago UGA brought Jim Donnan in coming off a NC at Marshall.

I understand wanting to be better, every fan wants more success. The the coaches currently being regarded as the best are Saban, Day and Kirby , what is the one thing they have in co?on? All 3 are elite recruiters, they aren't taking top 25 classes and over achieving or developing them. If UK is to get to 10 wins every year, compete for a playoff spot recruiting has to improve.

Next year's 12 team playoff will likely have 3 BIG10, 3 SEC, 2 ACC, 2 BIG12,a group team and 1 more from one of the P4 conferences. Going to be tough to make, every game will be big.

I agree, it's rare that a Stoops coached UK team beats someone they should not beat, very rare. He's never beaten anyone that you'd consider to be markedly better than one of his teams. The closest thing to that would probably be the Penn St bowl win in 2018. Even then I don't think those 2 teams were that far apart talent-wise.

Reactions: K86 and bigbluedon
1. Stoops has done a really good job over 11 years going from a low of 2 win season and high of 7-ish wins and Music City of Brooks era. So he did raise the bar to where Music City is our low and Citrus is our ceiling. So no matter what you want to argue....he's done better than Claiborne, Brooks, Morris, Mumme and Joker of modern era.
2. I am not calling for Stoops to be fired even if we finish 6-6/7-5. I think the future of Stoops/White/Marrow and especially Coen for a good 3 year window is enticing for UK fans to stick to the path. And with Cutter Boley and Stone Saunders in path to UK....feels like if we keep an offense like we saw vs. Tennessee....we'll be good enough going forward...and Coen is the key. HE is talented and I have confidence he'll groom Boley and Saunders like he has Levis and hopefully Leary has a great 2nd half of 2023 season.
3. But here is my big negative...I'm not fixated as much as many with $9M salary. But to have to pay $9M along with it is thru 2031. And these dumb contracts from Mitch are handuffing UK....the program has all the risk and none of the freedom. If Stoops craps the bed next year and goes 4-5 wins and we miss a bowl (which could happen).....we have no freedom to move and that isn't reasonable given Stoops signed this absurd deal during a 7-5 season...and we are likely to have another dissapointing season this year. Mitch has become a lazy AD and he is the ceiling for UK moreso than Stoops IMO.

Maybe the next coach will be worse than Stoops....but if UK has 9-10M to throw around...I'd argue we'd have more than enough money to lure a really good coach. With SEC and BIg10 looking like the 2 leagues that will be getting largest TV deals...all those ACC, PAc10, MAC, Big 12 , etc coaches will always be an easy picking ground for jobs like UK and the days of having to hope an assistant (like Stoops/Joker) or small schools (Mumme) will not be the norm. So I think the risk of another coach after Stoops isn't the same risk as the past 15-20 years.

They pump it to generate any type of excitement due to their desire to separate you from your money.
I don't think its about wanting our money, they burnt bridges with the bball team. No source inside basketball they can not afford to loose the football connection

Did the O/U at our number of wins this year come out at 6.5? yes..... geez dud get a grip.

Reactions: grevey35
I get complaining about the money. It's ridiculous for sure. The crazy part is that's today's market. The fools at Michigan State are partly to blame but it is what it is

Did the O/U at our number of wins this year come out at 6.5? yes..... geez dud get a grip.
If your expectations for this team weren’t any better than 6-7 wins then I honestly don’t know what to say. You going to be happy when our o/u drops to 5.5 after OU and Texas come in next year? I understand no one really knows how a team will perform, especially with new guys on the roster but everyone was hyping our D and Leary, also our WRs so expectations were high. Add Davis who everyone thought would be good but probably not this good and yes it’s disappointing. If we can’t expect more than 6-7 wins from here on out then we’re basically going to be eternally sitting in the bottom 20% of the conference.

Reactions: Bluesbrother
Saban has hit the ceiling are you kidding me? It’s been more than 2 yrs since he won a Natty. Run him out

Dabo has hit the ceiling been more than 4?yrs since he won a Natty

Fire them all

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Hack
If your expectations for this team weren’t any better than 6-7 wins then I honestly don’t know what to say. You going to be happy when our o/u drops to 5.5 after OU and Texas come in next year? I understand no one really knows how a team will perform, especially with new guys on the roster but everyone was hyping our D and Leary, also our WRs so expectations were high. Add Davis who everyone thought would be good but probably not this good and yes it’s disappointing. If we can’t expect more than 6-7 wins from here on out then we’re basically going to be eternally sitting in the bottom 20% of the conference.
Um. Not a lot of people outside UK fans had higher expectations. That’s kinda what the 6.5 Vegas prediction/line is. Read up on it partner. It’s interesting stuff.

Agree with catben and K-time
I like Stoops as a person, obviously a hard worker.
Negatives:
1. Too conservative offensively and defensively
2. Too many penalties on both sides of the ball. Offsides, motion personal fouls after the play has stopped. Aggressive penalties can be tolerated, but no discipline against players committing the others.
3.Terrible non conf schedule. Man up and play some good out of conference teams. But salary incentives for wins result in MAC teams vs power 5 teams. We are not ready for SEC play

Agree with catben and K-time
I like Stoops as a person, obviously a hard worker.
Negatives:
1. Too conservative offensively and defensively
2. Too many penalties on both sides of the ball. Offsides, motion personal fouls after the play has stopped. Aggressive penalties can be tolerated, but no discipline against players committing the others.
3.Terrible non conf schedule. Man up and play some good out of conference teams. But salary incentives for wins result in MAC teams vs power 5 teams. We are not ready for SEC play
So true. He schedules weak early season opponents to lock in as many wins as possible for the 6 win minimum to trigger his contract bonus, leaving the team with no real metric to judge the team's preparation for the upcoming SEC opponents. He seems more interested in managing the fine print in his contract more than managing/preparing his team for SEC play. Early and easy wins against undermanned opponents gives marginal UK teams a false sense of confidence that bites them in the rear once they start playing SEC caliber opponents.

The fact we go bowling every year now is hardly much to crow about. First they lowered the threshold for attending bowl games a good while back plus there are twice as many of them as there used to be. 4 tomato cans ( which UL has been for several years) Vandy and one more SEC win and your in. Hardly a mark of excellence. That said the Penn State win was a great bowl win. The first one against Iowa was a pretty good one. Losses to Northwestern and Iowa last year not so much

Reactions: Bluesbrother
If UK wasn't forced to play X amount of SEC games im sure we'd play dipchit state every week to pad the record and guarantee bowl appearances.

Cats will never ever ever be in a position to compete for the SEC title with Stoops. I dont think they could with a top tier coach.....its like expecting South Carolina to win the SEC, its not going to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT