ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops gets the last laugh

Sounds like you would like a program that has very little intergerty, alone the lines of an AU who would and have hired some of the most unethical coaches in the NCAA. I don't believe MB runs the UK program that way. Rick Petino has been trashed on UK boards for years for how he ran the Louisville program, yet many of the BB crod are were wanting him back.

I do want integrity. You can have that but still be aggressive and be in the gray. There are no saints in this or any other business.

I have a good friend that played in the 1990s under Curry.! He said Pitino basically did what he could to take attention off football. We were terrible, but in comments and such Pitino hated football. Idk why else. Maybe because Newton and Curry were close. The main reason I can’t stand Pitino either now or when he was here.
If Pitino was taking attention off the FB program under Curry, it was a big favor to CM and Curry.

Absolutely the worst FB coach in the history of UK football in my opinion.

Reactions: Girthang
This is probably the most talented UK roster since records have been kept and the coaching staff may be the best in the Stoops era, so it's not like Stoops isn't doing the things he needs to do to move the team up the ladder, but the tangible improvements have to convert to wins. The higher up the ladder you go the harder it is to take the next step.
This year may be a 500 year. New SEC.

I do want integrity. You can have that but still be aggressive and be in the gray. There are no saints in this or any other business.

And apparently with your AD wants it too and refuses to bring in the same type coach that fits AU perfectly. After the things Petino did and how he was talked about here on this site some, not all, wanted to hire him for a 5 year run? And aggressive to mean means working hard, not taking shortcuts. I think your AD believes the same.

Reactions: Girthang
At 9 million a year he can keep grinding all he wants if no results it won't matter. Dude just tried to leave , he has a good year he will try to leave again... a bad year puts him firmly on the hot seat. This is not a negative post, but one based in reality. Why would he not try to leave again if he has the chance?
With a Conference win/loss record of 35 wins & 55 losses over 10-11 years (0.389), (which is better than all coaches since Curci 50 years ago), should it be the standard going forward, or will UK expect something better than less than average?

From reading this board my synopsis is "folks should be happy with where we are", and leave bigger expectations in the closet.

Am not going to fight people on this board over this, but just point out realities. After all, its not like Stoops is a coach that's been here for 2-3 years -- we've seen what UK football has been, and will most likely be for years to come.... sprinkled in a few unexpected losses, as well as wins....

Reactions: cat tat2
And apparently with your AD wants it too and refuses to bring in the same type coach that fits AU perfectly. After the things Petino did and how he was talked about here on this site some, not all, wanted to hire him for a 5 year run? And aggressive to mean means working hard, not taking shortcuts. I think your AD believes the same.
Our AD is happy with the status quo because most fans are too. Something that's generally not tolerated at all of the other SEC football schools except for maybe a few.

Heck, we just ran off a HOF BBall coach (for good reasons in my opinion)....

Just pointing out the different expectations for the two programs -- same AD.

lol what?

They both wanted to leave. Cal was welcomed with open arms and the fanbase is enamored while stoops was laughed at and had to come back.

I hope we have the best team in history but this is just silly and shows the delusion of a large part of our fanbase

I thought you were an Alabama fan?
I am but UK is my home school. Their schedule looks more intense than in years past.i see 5 wins for sure, maybe up to 7. I can also see that with a bad bounce of the ball 5 wins could be it. I pull for them but just don't see them making a real run this season. I would love to be corrected.

This is probably the most talented UK roster since records have been kept and the coaching staff may be the best in the Stoops era, so it's not like Stoops isn't doing the things he needs to do to move the team up the ladder, but the tangible improvements have to convert to wins. The higher up the ladder you go the harder it is to take the next step.
Agree and its somewhat similar to Cal's situation IMO in that the big difference maker needs to come from the Coaches themselves in game situations. The decision makers (Stoops, Hamden, White) have to win battles in games against the guys on the other side and make a 3 to 6 point difference, or at least break even. We just cant lose points in play calling and game strategies. Not that he has the talent, Mark and Co. need to become an Elite game coaches too. A majority of our games any more are down to the wire contests and we have to win a few more of those close games to reach another level. Great game coaching can do that.

Reactions: Deeeefense
With a Conference win/loss record of 35 wins & 55 losses over 10-11 years (0.389), (which is better than all coaches since Curci 50 years ago), should it be the standard going forward, or will UK expect something better than less than average?

From reading this board my synopsis is "folks should be happy with where we are", and leave bigger expectations in the closet.

Am not going to fight people on this board over this, but just point out realities. After all, its not like Stoops is a coach that's been here for 2-3 years -- we've seen what UK football has been, and will most likely be for years to come.... sprinkled in a few unexpected losses, as well as wins....
In this current era of 5-10mil a year paydays in the conference and everyone having enough resources to achieve mediocre results the real measure should be conference performance moving forward. It’s also why the A&M fans revolted. How can you hire a coach with no track record for functional offense that had 4 losing conference records in his last 5 seasons after he had ‘built’ the program. A&M has only had 2 losing conference records since being in the sec. Their fans saw through the stockpile of wins against the MAC. I don’t know that Elko is any better of a hire but I guess they could at least justify that they didn’t know what he would be or not whereas we all kind of know what stoops is. I will say the one hope I hold out for improvement is that it showed him what he’s doing still isnt enough for elsewhere so if he wants to so he better get better offensively more aggressive defensively and win in the conference. Whether his lack of creativity in a creative age can get us there we’ll see. I’ll hope for the best with hamdan.

Reactions: FltDoc
Can we just be happy with what we have? I could have been an astronaut but instead I’m something else. Things happen. Who cares where someone should have been? They’re here. Let’s get over ourselves.
Agreed. I don’t care that he wanted to take a step in his career and don’t need to pretend he didn’t try. That being said, he still needs to take a marginal step up in performance to justify his pay

Reactions: FltDoc
With a Conference win/loss record of 35 wins & 55 losses over 10-11 years (0.389),

And 20 of those 55 conference losses were compiled his first three seasons, when we had MAC level upper classmen recruited by Joker Phillips, and a handful of 4 Stars still learning how to shave.

From your numbers, we are 50/50 in the SEC since 2016 . . . and the last era when we batted .500 in the SEC for 8 successive seasons, Bear Bryant was the coach.

John Ray says “hello!”
John Ray was bad. Curry was worse....in my opinion.
John Ray was a horrible hire by another basketball AD. Just another D coordinator with no head coaching experience. (That sounds familiar).

Curry was supposed to be a championship level coach. I had really high hopes for the football program when he was hired........until I heard him pontificate......and then I knew, another baaaaad hire.

Great person. Terrible coach.

John Ray 39-39 at UK
Bill Curry 23-51 record at UK.

Not even close.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
John Ray 39-39 at UK
Bill Curry 23-51 record at UK.

John Ray was 10-33 his four seasons at Kentucky, 1969-1972, and his best two seasons were his first two, each 3-8.

He left us Sonny Collins and a new stadium, but his winning % was actually below Bill Curry’s.

But your original point is still well taken: I drank myself into Bourbon induced comas watching Bill Curry’s teams try to play football.

I was too young to actually appreciate the horror that was John Ray football.

Last edited:
John Ray was 10-33 his four seasons at Kentucky, 1969-1972, and his best two seasons were his first two, each 3-8.

He left us Sonny Collins and a new stadium, but his winning % was actually below Bill Curry’s.

But your original point is still well taken: I drank myself into Bourbon induced comas watching Bill Curry’s teams try to play football.

You are correct about Ray. My bad. I looked at his total record as a HC which included his time at John Carroll.

I know I was glad to see both of them go. Dark days for a UK football fan.

I finally invested in season tickets when we got Mummy to coach Couch. Fun times.

LoL some of yall are dumb or silly or both. Mark Stoops is untouchable, barring a Petrino-level off the field scandal. He can 7-6 for the next 10 yrs and the only feedback he will recieve from his boss & his bosses boss is more raises.

Just watch bitter Calipari at his introductory Hog press conference make some crack about being glad to have a REAL SEC football team to support and cheer for. Guaranteed, he won't pass up the opportunity to take a shot at the man who outlasted him & whooped his ass in the press & social media 2 yrs ago.
Everyone said the same about Calipari and thank God they were wrong

Neither of us know the details of the A&M job. A&M says one thing which serves their purposes and Stoops says another which serves his purposes. We will likely never know the real story. And even if he did try to leave, he still shouldn't be on the chopping block. People take different jobs every day.
I think it is pretty much figured out

Bruce Feldman, a senior writer for The Athletic, has covered college football nationally for 20 years. Feldman says Mark Stoops is one of the top 15 college football coaches in the country, and he reiterated his opinion last month on Paul Finebaum's show. Feldman says Stoops doesn't get a fair shake because of the challenges of winning football games at a school that only recently began to prioritize football. Do you know more about Stoops or about college football than Bruce Feldman? No.
For years Stoops was on the verge of taking the next step especially in recruiting but a few well placed Brain farts derailed it like uncovered wrs or clock management seems like I'm missing a couple

Can we just be happy with what we have? I could have been an astronaut but instead I’m something else. Things happen. Who cares where someone should have been? They’re here. Let’s get over ourselves.
Sure thing Space Cadet lol sorry you fo have a point

Probably didn't need the Bourbon for those Coma,s

You are correct about Ray. My bad. I looked at his total record as a HC which included his time at John Carroll.

Not to pick on you too badly, cathouse, as I consider you a solid poster. But your error might be proof of one commentator’s theory: that younger fans might not realize just how bad UK football was for five decades.

We may yet see a statue for Jerry Caliborne who had a losing record. Had Ray pitched .500, he would have been considered a massive improvement over the likes of Bradshaw, Curci, Curry, Mumme and Joker, and at least on the level of Claiborne.

And his .500 record would prove the claim.

Not to pick on you too badly, cathouse, as I consider you a solid poster. But your error might be proof of one commentator’s theory: that younger fans might not realize just how bad UK football was for five decades.

We may yet see a statue for Jerry Caliborne who had a losing record. Had Ray pitched .500, he would have been considered a massive improvement over the likes of Bradshaw, Curci, Curry, Mumme and Joker, and at least on the level of Claiborne.

And his .500 record would prove the claim.
I had high hopes for the football program when John Ray was hired. New stadium. New era of SEC football.
And then he turned out to be a horrible HC. Worse than I remembered.

I was REALLY excited when we hired JC. Bryant disciple, Hoptown boy. UK player. NC at Maryland. Disciplined. Dedicated. Honorable man. Loved his coaching. Even the wide tackle six defense. He truly was a great coach.

It has been a looonnnnggg hard struggle for older UK football fans. Blanton Collier and Don Shula aren't walking through that door. Neither is the Bear. I have no recollection of Bear at UK. Collier teams is as far back as my memory takes me. Bradshaw and the "Thin Thirty" probably the most memorable of the early team for me.

I had high hopes for the football program when John Ray was hired. New stadium. New era of SEC football.
And then he turned out to be a horrible HC. Worse than I remembered.

I was REALLY excited when we hired JC. Bryant disciple, Hoptown boy. UK player. NC at Maryland. Disciplined. Dedicated. Honorable man. Loved his coaching. Even the wide tackle six defense. He truly was a great coach.

It has been a looonnnnggg hard struggle for older UK football fans. Blanton Collier and Don Shula aren't walking through that door. Neither is the Bear. I have no recollection of Bear at UK. Collier teams is as far back as my memory takes me. Bradshaw and the "Thin Thirty" probably the most memorable of the early team for me.
Stoops has already won more football games at UK than Bryant won. For the anti-Stoops crowd, this is blasphemy. But it's time for people to wake up and understand that UK's football program is stronger than it used to be. No longer the coaches' graveyard. No longer shut out of the SEC top tier. No longer a game that opponents look forward to. Now we find out which UK fans really have intestinal fortitude and a working understanding of the program building process over the longer term.

Stoops has already won more football games at UK than Bryant won. For the anti-Stoops crowd, this is blasphemy. But it's time for people to wake up and understand that UK's football program is stronger than it used to be. No longer the coaches' graveyard. No longer shut out of the SEC top tier. No longer a game that opponents look forward to. Now we find out which UK fans really have intestinal fortitude and a working understanding of the program building process over the longer term.
Unfortunately, for many of us older fans, there is no " longer term".

That is why there is such an urgency from many of us older fans to see this program take that next "giant" step.

We are oh so close, thanks to CMS and MB for investing in the FB program. But, man, just one more step and we are a legitimate contender, not only in the SEC, but this 12 team playoff is an open door for teams like UK to finally have a shot at getting in.

The question is, which programs have what it takes to push through their ceiling and get there.

I want to see UK be that team again. Bear Bryant got us there. So I know it CAN be done.

Fran Curci was almost there by doing what Bama, UT, Auburn and the SEC powers have always done, and got by with it. But the powers that be would never allow UK to buy top talent and get by with it like the kings of the south could.

CMS has got to figure out what it takes and then do whatever "that" is, and get it done, sooner rather than later, for us older fans.

Reactions: The-Hack
Unfortunately, for many of us older fans, there is no " longer term".

That is why there is such an urgency from many of us older fans to see this program take that next "giant" step.

We are oh so close, thanks to CMS and MB for investing in the FB program. But, man, just one more step and we are a legitimate contender, not only in the SEC, but this 12 team playoff is an open door for teams like UK to finally have a shot at getting in.

The question is, which programs have what it takes to push through their ceiling and get there.

I want to see UK be that team again. Bear Bryant got us there. So I know it CAN be done.

Fran Curci was almost there by doing what Bama, UT, Auburn and the SEC powers have always done, and got by with it. But the powers that be would never allow UK to buy top talent and get by with it like the kings of the south could.

CMS has got to figure out what it takes and then do whatever "that" is, and get it done, sooner rather than later, for us older fans.

Not clear what you are saying. Are you saying Kentucky should cheat? Are you saying Curci should not have been investigated? Are you saying your age has anything to do with Kentucky's football building opportunity? Regardless of age, all of us except the trolls want Kentucky to win as many football games as possible. Only a few regret that Kentucky does not cheat, and they are kryptonite to the football program. No other SEC school tries harder to avoid cheating, and that is a BADGE OF HONOR for Kentucky. If that means we don't reach some arbitrary deadline, too bad cause many other Kentucky fans want to win as bad as you. I know I do. But I see our school doing its best, and I have faith in them. You seem to know the football program has not been in such good shape since the Bear was at Kentucky. It has not been. That alone should earn faith and optimism.

• Love
Not clear what you are saying. Are you saying Kentucky should cheat? Are you saying Curci should not have been investigated? Are you saying your age has anything to do with Kentucky's football building opportunity? Regardless of age, all of us except the trolls want Kentucky to win as many football games as possible. Only a few regret that Kentucky does not cheat, and they are kryptonite to the football program. No other SEC school tries harder to avoid cheating, and that is a BADGE OF HONOR for Kentucky. If that means we don't reach some arbitrary deadline, too bad cause many other Kentucky fans want to win as bad as you. I know I do. But I see our school doing its best, and I have faith in them. You seem to know the football program has not been in such good shape since the Bear was at Kentucky. It has not been. That alone should earn faith and optimism.
Dang man. You totally misread my post. Not even gonna try to explain it to you.

Have a nice day.

I know I was glad to see both of them go. Dark days for a UK football fan.

I finally invested in season tickets when we got Mummy to coach Couch. Fun times.

I am not knocking your post, but Mumme was 10-22 in the SEC at UK and we call that “fun times.” Hack says Stoops is .500 since 2016. In that time, we had two of the best teams in the UK modern era and we complain. Today’s UK football fan would run Mumme out of town for having a gimmick that did not win enough in the SEC.

In this current era of 5-10mil a year paydays in the conference and everyone having enough resources to achieve mediocre results the real measure should be conference performance moving forward. It’s also why the A&M fans revolted. How can you hire a coach with no track record for functional offense that had 4 losing conference records in his last 5 seasons after he had ‘built’ the program. A&M has only had 2 losing conference records since being in the sec. Their fans saw through the stockpile of wins against the MAC. I don’t know that Elko is any better of a hire but I guess they could at least justify that they didn’t know what he would be or not whereas we all kind of know what stoops is. I will say the one hope I hold out for improvement is that it showed him what he’s doing still isnt enough for elsewhere so if he wants to so he better get better offensively more aggressive defensively and win in the conference. Whether his lack of creativity in a creative age can get us there we’ll see. I’ll hope for the best with hamdan.

Your sympathy for the stupid, but nice, A&M fans is hard to follow. You say you understand them revolting when a coach who has taken his team to more major bowls since 2016 than A&M, but they don’t revolt when a coach with questionable ACC record (ACC!!) gets hired. I will let you try to understand that.

I am not knocking your post, but Mumme was 10-22 in the SEC at UK and we call that “fun times.” Hack says Stoops is .500 since 2016. In that time, we had two of the best teams in the UK modern era and we complain. Today’s UK football fan would run Mumme out of town for having a gimmick that did not win enough in the SEC.
Mumme followed two defensive minded HC who could not score points against anyone with Curry and Uzilac deciding it was a good idea to have the top rated passing QB to run an option offense. Florida 70 UK 3.

Lots of those type scores. Mumme finally showed UK fans that UK DID have enough talent on offense to score the ball, given the right coach and scheme. Mumme, Mike Leach and staff ran an explosive and exciting offense that put up a lot of points against the best defenses in the SEC. Unfortunately, it was at the expense of the defense which wasn't even an afterthought with Mumme.

Now, we have a good, sometimes great defensive football team, and many fans are still trying to convince us that UK just doesn't have the talent to score points against SEC defenses.

That is BS and we know it because we have seen that given the right coach and the right offensive scheme, we can score against anyone.

I am hoping Bush Hamdan is that coach that has that scheme where we can actually score against the top teams and have a CHANCE to actually win some of those games.

But to continually defend our putrid offense saying we just don't have the talent is just wrong. The coaching staff must have the right scheme and the right mindset to play winning offense in the SEC if we are ever going to take that next step.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caveman Catfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT