ADVERTISEMENT

Source feedback on latest practice

Jun 2, 2023
I have someone who is close with the program and has watched this team practice the last couple of days. This is what he tells me, (this is obviously practice so take it for what you want)

Wagner doesn’t play like a freshmen, very mature for his age and his three point shot has improved tremendously.

Burks is better than people think, he will see a lot of minutes this season (might be the biggest surprise this season)

Reeds defense is very good and he can do it all on the offensive end

Ugo has gotten faster, good at finishing around the rim and has been very good at blocking shots

Adou could make a huge leap this season, he’s more under control than last season. Has gotten bigger and stronger, also improved his three point shooting.

Edwards “is a dog” this kid does it all….. there’s not a lot to say, but when they see him play fans will understand they have a superstar on their team

Reeves improving on defense and finishing around the rim.

Dillingham has that wow factor about him, handled the ball very well, he’s very shifty and has blown by his defender on multiple occasions in scrimmages. Elite finisher, jump shot needs work but he’s still a threat from deep.

Hart is surprisingly a very good athlete, shoots the ball very good and loves driving to the rim, he handles contact at the rim very well and finishes.

Bradshaw (injured)

Hmmm..i just read a practice report over on HOB that said Burks and Hart were not ready to be contributors yet. and Ugo is still struggling offensively. Don’t get me wrong. The report was mostly positive but it did say the opposite about a few of your points

Hmmm..i just read a practice report over on HOB that said Burks and Hart were not ready to be contributors yet. and Ugo is still struggling offensively. Don’t get me wrong. The report was mostly positive but it did say the opposite about a few of your points
From what I was told and the person I know only pointed out the positives, they may have been times Ugo struggled but they also don’t expect Ugo to start. I was told that also, it’s look like Cal will play small ball with Mitchell instead of Ugo which I’m all for

From what I was told and the person I know only pointed out the positives, they may have been times Ugo struggled but they also don’t expect Ugo to start. I was told that also, it’s look like Cal will play small ball with Mitchell instead of Ugo which I’m all for
I’m definitely all for that too. I truly hope the plan isn’t for Ugo to start

Reactions: WildcatNC
Makes sense.

Highly unlikely Onyenso is ready to start next season.

Once Bradshaw is back, it will probably be Mitchell/Bradshaw at the 4 and 5 spot for at least half the game.

Unless Cal finds a veteran big man.

I have someone who is close with the program and has watched this team practice the last couple of days. This is what he tells me, (this is obviously practice so take it for what you want)

Wagner doesn’t play like a freshmen, very mature for his age and his three point shot has improved tremendously.

Burks is better than people think, he will see a lot of minutes this season (might be the biggest surprise this season)

Ugo has gotten faster, good at finishing around the rim and has been very good at blocking shots

Adou could make a huge leap this season, he’s more under control than last season. Has gotten bigger and stronger, also improved his three point shooting.

Edwards “is a dog” this kid does it all….. there’s not a lot to say, but when they see him play fans will understand they have a superstar on their team

Dillingham has that wow factor about him, handled the ball very well, he’s very shifty and has blown by his defender on multiple occasions in scrimmages. Elite finisher, jump shot needs work but he’s still a threat from deep.

Hart is surprisingly a very good athlete, shoots the ball very good and loves driving to the rim, he handles contact at the rim very well and finishes.

Bradshaw (injured)
Appreciate the insights man, and it’s good to see these young guys are performing well in practice

So Edwards at the 4 or Theiro?

Bradshaw (injured)
I'm hoping Edwards becomes Cal's first two-way transcendent small forward. We haven't had one of those in our lifetimes. Mashburn was more of a 4 man who was played the 4 at Kentucky. Prince was transcendent defensively, but not offensively. Mercer was decent at defense, but was very good at offense but peaked early in his NBA career.

I hope Edwards turns into a Brandon Ingram-level talent.

Bradshaw (injured)
Did he mention Pilgrim still being a beast? 😂
Haha Just busting your chops. Thanks for the run down.

I'm sorry to rain on the parade, but these practice updates are useless. How many years now do we here that every player is a beast in practice, but come showtime in the fall/winter, they not as advertised?
That’s why I said it’s practice so take it for what you want. We will know more in a couple of weeks when this team starts playing. They are playing well together in practice and it’s been good vibes throughout the program, much different from last season.

They expect Bradshaw to be back at the beginning of the season lineup should look like this

Wagner
Edwards
Reeves
Bradshaw
Mitchell

6th man Rob
That’s how I see it as well.

Hoping Onyenso can give us 15-20 productive minutes at the 5 as well.

Thiero and Sheppard round out our 9-man rotation.

Burks and Hart get spot minutes.

You know who is really high on Ugo....Tom Leach. He has spoken about it consistently this off season

Still struggling? When did he start struggling? He didn't play.

I mean, most of our fans right now would say those 3 exact things because those 3 players weren't ranked highly. .No chance they can be good

I'm hoping Edwards becomes Cal's first two-way transcendent small forward. We haven't had one of those in our lifetimes. Mashburn was more of a 4 man who was played the 4 at Kentucky. Prince was transcendent defensively, but not offensively. Mercer was decent at defense, but was very good at offense but peaked early in his NBA career.

I hope Edwards turns into a Brandon Ingram-level talent.

Bro, Tayshaun averaged 17ppg as upperclassman. He scored nearly 1800 pts at UK. Dropped 41 in a NCAAT game and has the single most electrifying offensive moment in Rupp history minus maybe Dirk Minnifield dunk and I doubt that. I thought walls were going to cave in at Rupp. Bleachers were noticeably shaking for that UNC 3pt barrage.

So are you talking just NBA?

Bradshaw (injured)
We get these every year. I mean every year.

I hope this is what happens and Ugo is spot minutes and matchup dependent.

Small ball can dominate college if you have solid length in the backcourt. Our problem in recent years is trying to be too big for the sake of being big even if it means playing 3 guys with no real ball skills and limiting yourself to 2 true skilled players

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
So Edwards at the 4 or Theiro?
Neither. Edwards is a wing. 3 and D. Thiero probably will play reserve minutes at the 4, some at the 2. Edwards will be the best 3 we have had under Cal. MKG had talent around him, he hustle can't be matched, heart neither. But TALENT standpoint, Edwards will be better, IMHO.
Also to the one poster, T. Prince was a stud 3, both ends of the floor. Talk about a silent assassin. Whew he was one, even when he talked he spoke softly.

Neither. Edwards is a wing. 3 and D. Thiero probably will play reserve minutes at the 4, some at the 2. Edwards will be the best 3 we have had under Cal. MKG had talent around him, he hustle can't be matched, heart neither. But TALENT standpoint, Edwards will be better, IMHO.
Also to the one poster, T. Prince was a stud 3, both ends of the floor. Talk about a silent assassin. Whew he was one, even when he talked he spoke softly.
Agree with most of what you said but do not see Thiero at the 2. I think that is where Reed will see some time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT