ADVERTISEMENT

Somto Cyril is "More Physical than Deandre Ayton"

Check out these quotes about Cyril. I think he commits to us soon and it will be a big deal.

Weaver worked with Deandre Ayton, the No. 1 pick in the 2018 NBA draft, at Hillcrest Prep. He coached recent UK signee Jordan Burks this season and coached against Cyril.

“I will tell you right now in all my years of doing high school basketball, coaching players who played in the pros and I had Deandre Ayton, I have never seen anything like him,” Weaver said on WLAP Sunday Morning Sports Talk. “I have never seen a high school player or Overtime Elite player dominate a game physically like him. He’s the most physical presence I have ever seen at the high school level.”

Weaver said he was “impossible” to guard and was an intense competitor.

“I have never seen anything like him. He is so physically gifted. He moves so well, can score and has a great touch,” Weaver said. “It kills me to say he’s more physical than Deandre but I really have never seen anything like him.

“Deandre has a little finesse to him. Somto just physically punishes you in the paint. He got us in foul trouble every game. He bent one of the rims in our gym. He’s just so physically gifted and plays so hard. I have never seen anyone that big move like he does and play as hard as he does.

“If Kentucky gets Somto, that will be something.”
Live in Phoenix and a huge Suns fan- Ayton is the Suns issue, plays soft, doesn't hustle a lot and gets pushed around by everyone- not sure if he will ever change but if he does ..........

If Somto joins the UK squad for this coming season, and it looks like that will happen, then this incoming class has got to be judged as the greatest incoming class in basketball history. At least that's my opinion.
We’ve had the greatest class ever for the past decade with what, a bunch of early outs in the NCAA. Let’s see them win something before crowning them the greatest

We’ve had the greatest class ever for the past decade with what, a bunch of early outs in the NCAA. Let’s see them win something before crowning them the greatest
Yeah, this just isn't the case and nobody was saying this for the past decade.

As a matter of fact Cal had his lowest ranked recruiting class just last year. The last couple of teams have been older and transfer driven.

Whether you think it is a down year or not, this class by player ranking is one of the highest ranked

I don’t know anything, this is just a guess and gut feeling, but I feel like they close out with reeves, mulcahy and somto
My WAG:

Somto

Edwards or another big if Bradshaw is unlikely to play

Another guard or wing who can shoot, possibly but not likely Mulcahy

Less than 20% Reeves

If Somto joins the UK squad for this coming season, and it looks like that will happen, then this incoming class has got to be judged as the greatest incoming class in basketball history. At least that's my opinion.
i've been following you a long time from another site that you were on and I have the most respect for your opinion, but this is a very weak class and to pick this one over 2012 I would have to disagree.

Reactions: NociHTTP
i've been following you a long time from another site that you were on and I have the most respect for your opinion, but this is a very weak class and to pick this one over 2012 I would have to disagree.
Aww let me have some fun. Cyril's full first name is Somtochukwu. So I've been walking around singing...On som to chukwu evening, you will meet this stranger, and you will be in danger, of picking glass from your hair.

• Love
Reactions: UKrazycat2
I think he was saying the top class for any one particular team. Which of course there is the Fab 5. UK's top was probably the Randle, Young, Harrison twins, Johnson, Lee, Willis, Hawkins class.

Aww let me have some fun. Cyril's full first name is Somtochukwu. So I've been walking around singing...On som to chukwu evening, you will meet this stranger, and you will be in danger, of picking glass from your hair.
But of course many of you we're not born when the musical South Pacific was made. Anyway I think Cyril is going to be a Magloire type. And he's got a dynamic personality always cracking jokes and mouthing off kidding people. He'll be a lot of fun

But of course many of you we're not born when the musical South Pacific was made. Anyway I think Cyril is going to be a Magloire type. And he's got a dynamic personality always cracking jokes and mouthing off kidding people. He'll be a lot of fun
I would hope that he is better than Magloire. He was ok, more of an enforcer than anything else

Check out these quotes about Cyril. I think he commits to us soon and it will be a big deal.

Weaver worked with Deandre Ayton, the No. 1 pick in the 2018 NBA draft, at Hillcrest Prep. He coached recent UK signee Jordan Burks this season and coached against Cyril.

“I will tell you right now in all my years of doing high school basketball, coaching players who played in the pros and I had Deandre Ayton, I have never seen anything like him,” Weaver said on WLAP Sunday Morning Sports Talk. “I have never seen a high school player or Overtime Elite player dominate a game physically like him. He’s the most physical presence I have ever seen at the high school level.”

“I have never seen anything like him. He is so physically gifted. He moves so well, can score and has a great touch,” Weaver said. “It kills me to say he’s more physical than Deandre but I really have never seen anything like him.

“Deandre has a little finesse to him. Somto just physically punishes you in the paint. He got us in foul trouble every game. He bent one of the rims in our gym. He’s just so physically gifted and plays so hard. I have never seen anyone that big move like he does and play as hard as he does.

Ive watched DA with the Suns the past years... hell, Mike Scott was more physical than DA

Reactions: Fox2monk
i think they will win more then the last two years when we had experienced players
If they just somto and nobody else. And have a better record than the team that lost to st Peter’s I will come back and give credit but that team has 9-10 regular season losses

I know we really need to add experience like most on here want but I would love to add Somto to the roster. Kid looks physically developed beyond his years and would be very tough inside for us. So, add me to his list of fans. Hoping we hear a commitment sometime soon from him.

Not saying much because Aynton is lazy for real but still good to hear he’s not a slouch.

Reactions: kyjeff1 and thedahc
I'm a fan of Somto Cyril and hope he does commit/reclass/join the team and think he can make an immediate impact and will be a fantastic player. That being said, it's ridiculous fro this shot at Ayton when DeAndre Ayton carried a group of Island guys to a win over North Carolina when they were visiting the Bahamas same time that Kentucky was in Summer before the '15 season. Remember his one year in CBB was in '18 and Ayton had a monster game (Maybe a 30/20 game?) against UNC and they beat them in Bahamas. You don't do that at that age if you aren't physical and dominant. Realize it's an exhibition but the age difference alone factors in and it's still a program who had type of talent on the roster to be in back to back National Championship games in '16/'17 so it's not as if they were a bunch of stiffs.
Why do you think Cyril is only ranked #45 in his class? I’m not knocking him, I just don’t understand how he’s not higher based on what I’m reading.

Live in Phoenix and a huge Suns fan- Ayton is the Suns issue, plays soft, doesn't hustle a lot and gets pushed around by everyone- not sure if he will ever change but if he does ..........
I agree 100%, they should trade him. They got Beal and now they could shift that salary of Anyton for a big man who plays tough, and another solid role player. They need bench help bad. They are already in luxury tax with 4 players , it would give them more flexibility to fill the roster out.

Maybe it is just me, but I took the coaches quotes as simply one player is more of a finesse player and the other more of a power player ? Didn't say he was better but that his game was more of a intimidator or bully around the rim while Ayton was more finesse. Ayton does play soft in the NBA, that can't be debated. Hell of a offensive player but soft on defense.

Why do you think Cyril is only ranked #45 in his class? I’m not knocking him, I just don’t understand how he’s not higher based on what I’m reading.
Needs some skill work. I think he's improved in some areas but physically he can step into an SEC/Elite game and handle the contact and block shots/rip the rim down. He's a physical specimen but needs some work on finer points. One area this staff has excelled is big men. Antigua the first time around (with KP's assistance) and Antigua at Illinois had Cockburn, then comes back to UK and look at Oscar Tshiebwe. Throw in John Welch and think you can get some serious accelerating of his development but you can't teach 6'10 250 and athletic.

We have won more tournament games while Cal has been here than any other school over the same time frame.

You can have your own opinion but not your own facts.

Bam averaged 30.2mpg.
The most any Cal PF or C has averaged is 33.5 by Oscar, followed by 32.0 by Davis.
Now if you had said Cousins (23.5), then yes absolutely.

I guess I should've said in key games. He spent the unc, ul, and some others almost entirely on the bench

Bottom line: Cyril and Onyenso are both projects, and UK needs to add someone like Tre Mitchell from WVU is he hits the portal.

That way, if neither of the bigs develops that much next season, you can always run Bradshaw/Mitchell at the 5/4 spots.

Reactions: kyjeff1
According to Jack Pilgrim if Tre Mitchell enters the portal UK has a great shot because Cal has some connections to him.

I watched Arizona play many times when Ayton played and I came away unimpressed with DA every time. He was/is very lazy. Oh he'll put some effort in here and there and look like a monster, but for the most part, he stands around and watches a lot.
Arizona lost to Buffalo in the NCAAT and he ws s big reason why. He played like he didn’t care, the guards from Buffalo were scoring in the paint at will and DA did very little to stop them.
So it's not surprising that Cyril is better than DA was, but we need to be realistic about Cyril, he’s ranked 45th in his class for a reason.

Yeah, this just isn't the case and nobody was saying this for the past decade.

As a matter of fact Cal had his lowest ranked recruiting class just last year. The last couple of teams have been older and transfer driven.

Whether you think it is a down year or not, this class by player ranking is one of the highest ranked
This board started the 40-0 movement in the summer of 2013 when Cal signed the twins, Randle and Young. We were all definitely talking about that class being the best of all time.

Heck, one guy got a 40-0 tattoo just because that class was rated so high.

2010 had very close to that same excitement.

Bam spent half the season on the bench for that very reason
The officiating that season, was the worst I have ever seen, especially in the SEC and of course, our E8 game. I hope we never see another season officiated the way that one was.

Bam played:
35 minutes Vs UL
19 and 34 minutes vs UNC

In the 4 NCAAT games Bam played 37, 31, 34, and 37 minutes

Bam was on the bench much of that UL game. I was there. If they have him listed for that many minutes, it's wrong.

If the 17 minutes was the unc NCAA tournament game that sounds right. The other game was a monk shooting exhibition so it would fit that he didn't have much exposure on rebounds and flops if that's how it broke.

If it's alleged he played 34 minutes in the unc NCAA game, then I can't imagine that being correct

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT