ADVERTISEMENT

Somto Cyril is "More Physical than Deandre Ayton"

thedahc

Freshman
Aug 3, 2006
Check out these quotes about Cyril. I think he commits to us soon and it will be a big deal.

Weaver worked with Deandre Ayton, the No. 1 pick in the 2018 NBA draft, at Hillcrest Prep. He coached recent UK signee Jordan Burks this season and coached against Cyril.

“I will tell you right now in all my years of doing high school basketball, coaching players who played in the pros and I had Deandre Ayton, I have never seen anything like him,” Weaver said on WLAP Sunday Morning Sports Talk. “I have never seen a high school player or Overtime Elite player dominate a game physically like him. He’s the most physical presence I have ever seen at the high school level.”

Weaver said he was “impossible” to guard and was an intense competitor.

“I have never seen anything like him. He is so physically gifted. He moves so well, can score and has a great touch,” Weaver said. “It kills me to say he’s more physical than Deandre but I really have never seen anything like him.

“Deandre has a little finesse to him. Somto just physically punishes you in the paint. He got us in foul trouble every game. He bent one of the rims in our gym. He’s just so physically gifted and plays so hard. I have never seen anyone that big move like he does and play as hard as he does.

“If Kentucky gets Somto, that will be something.”

Check out these quotes about Cyril. I think he commits to us soon and it will be a big deal.

Weaver worked with Deandre Ayton, the No. 1 pick in the 2018 NBA draft, at Hillcrest Prep. He coached recent UK signee Jordan Burks this season and coached against Cyril.

“I will tell you right now in all my years of doing high school basketball, coaching players who played in the pros and I had Deandre Ayton, I have never seen anything like him,” Weaver said on WLAP Sunday Morning Sports Talk. “I have never seen a high school player or Overtime Elite player dominate a game physically like him. He’s the most physical presence I have ever seen at the high school level.”

Weaver said he was “impossible” to guard and was an intense competitor.

“I have never seen anything like him. He is so physically gifted. He moves so well, can score and has a great touch,” Weaver said. “It kills me to say he’s more physical than Deandre but I really have never seen anything like him.

Deandre has a little finesse to him. Somto just physically punishes you in the paint. He got us in foul trouble every game. He bent one of the rims in our gym. He’s just so physically gifted and plays so hard. I have never seen anyone that big move like he does and play as hard as he does.

“If Kentucky gets Somto, that will be something.”
Yeah I sure hope he's more physical than Ayton. Ayton is one of the softest bigs in the NBA. Part of why his coach and teammates yell at him a lot is because he doesn't fight enough and show enough toughness. Ayton having "a little finesse" is quite the understatement.

Yep, great article, posted about it a bit ago. Some real nice quotes in there.

If Somto joins the UK squad for this coming season, and it looks like that will happen, then this incoming class has got to be judged as the greatest incoming class in basketball history. At least that's my opinion.

I don't see that at all. I mean, I get your point that by certain metrics bringing in 7-8 highly ranked freshman may qualify.

But in actual reality, there is no transcendent talent in this class, which is pretty weak historically. This is no Fab 5 nor does it even match some of Cal's prior classes. I'll take John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins with a bunch of scrubs over this current group. Or AD and MKG in a similar comparison. Plus, let's actually wait until we see Bradshaw play in a game, because that seems very questionable at this point with Klutch being the puppet master.

Unless these freshmen come out of the gate and just dominate the field, there's no chance they'll even sniff any of the greatest freshmen class groups.

I'm a fan of Somto Cyril and hope he does commit/reclass/join the team and think he can make an immediate impact and will be a fantastic player. That being said, it's ridiculous fro this shot at Ayton when DeAndre Ayton carried a group of Island guys to a win over North Carolina when they were visiting the Bahamas same time that Kentucky was in Summer before the '15 season. Remember his one year in CBB was in '18 and Ayton had a monster game (Maybe a 30/20 game?) against UNC and they beat them in Bahamas. You don't do that at that age if you aren't physical and dominant. Realize it's an exhibition but the age difference alone factors in and it's still a program who had type of talent on the roster to be in back to back National Championship games in '16/'17 so it's not as if they were a bunch of stiffs.

If Somto joins the UK squad for this coming season, and it looks like that will happen, then this incoming class has got to be judged as the greatest incoming class in basketball history. At least that's my opinion.
Depends on who plays not just signs. While I'm appreciative, I'm also cautiously optimistic until guys prove themselves on the college level.

I'm a fan of Somto Cyril and hope he does commit/reclass/join the team and think he can make an immediate impact and will be a fantastic player. That being said, it's ridiculous fro this shot at Ayton when DeAndre Ayton carried a group of Island guys to a win over North Carolina when they were visiting the Bahamas same time that Kentucky was in Summer before the '15 season. Remember his one year in CBB was in '18 and Ayton had a monster game (Maybe a 30/20 game?) against UNC and they beat them in Bahamas. You don't do that at that age if you aren't physical and dominant. Realize it's an exhibition but the age difference alone factors in and it's still a program who had type of talent on the roster to be in back to back National Championship games in '16/'17 so it's not as if they were a bunch of stiffs.
Ralph- I heard his coach on the radio stating the above. It wasn’t a shot. I think he was trying to be enthusiastic about Somoto for the UK audience. He was giving him high praise and said his team couldn’t handle him.

Also, wouldn’t he and Ugo be a good fit with our roster? Lots of wing players. Maybe better to have those 2 low post guys then just a pick and pop guy like we looked at?

Forget my joke. If he is so awesome why is he rated in the 40's concerning top prospects for 2024 and his point production doesn't sound that phenomenal either? Is this another big strong PROJECT?

If we want impact for this season grab that West Virginia center it sounds like to me.

• Haha
Reactions: EastLansingCat
Currently with 9 players, our oldest would be Theiro, who just had a birthday in May and is, I'm guessing, now 19. Not a single 20+ yr old on the team (not counting walk-ons).

Ralph- I heard his coach on the radio stating the above. It wasn’t a shot. I think he was trying to be enthusiastic about Somoto for the UK audience. He was giving him high praise and said his team couldn’t handle him.

Also, wouldn’t he and Ugo be a good fit with our roster? Lots of wing players. Maybe better to have those 2 low post guys then just a pick and pop guy like we looked at?
I think he'd be a great addition and said so. I'm just not sure why this trend of "shitting" on another player who is proven and a 9 figure NBA player to hype someone who has never played a second beyond HS is a trend. You can talk up a player and not fire a shot at a guy.

No. Chris Webber was a man in high school. Rose and Howard and been playing against pros for years and holding their own. Does not matter who we get in this class it does not touch the grown man physicality or skill of Michigan’s class. If we have players who will compete like the fab five I’ll be satisfied. I do not expect them to come in and hold their own against AA’s like UM’s class did.

For those who thought I was serious, have some of whatever Dave was drinking. He's a good dude. I don't agree that adding the guy would make it the greatest incoming class in history. The hyperbole was strong on that one. But, yes, he is not a Cal slurper for the delayed ones here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT