ADVERTISEMENT

So we finally got burnt for it, huh?!

You're talking about specific situations. All players make bad passes every now and then. He has the second best assist rate on our team.
And you're missing my point. Being second best doesn't excuse what's been going on. If one were being general about things, you'd ask for specific situations lol.

Tell me you didn't read the thread without telling me you didn't read the thread. This has already been discussed.
I was reading through 50 replies to see if anyone else called you out on your BS which in fact was BS no matter how many people point it out. Sorry you took the time to make such a shitty inaccurate post 😂

Tell me you didn’t watch the game without telling me you didn’t watch the game. Reed missed his intentionally with .02 to go in overtime with us down by 3 as he was instructed by cal to do. I would have let Reed hit it and bring us within 2 and go for a quick steal but immediate foul if not. Hoping for a tap out rebound for a 3 to tie would not have been my strategy but either way was very low percentage.

You know when this happened I was thinking similarly. Bilas was certain you have to miss on purpose in that situation but I'm not so sure.

Rebounds on missed free throws do happen but there was 2 seconds. The thought of having guys around the rim to rebound it but then get it back out to the three point line for a 3 I don't know. I think the % play would have been get the bucket. Then steal, hopefully stealing you'll be closer to the basket and make the 2 to go into double OT.

Honestly, lately I don't have a lot of trust in Reed. Early in the season, yes. It's a given that he will give up as many of more points as he scores, off dumb passes and non-existent defense. He needs to be here another year and be forced to fixed those things.

So we don't trust Reed to make an inbounds pass but we would have trusted another guy to throw him the ball?

I mean I agree with you. Reed IMO tends to be a bit turnover prone. But that's all the more reason why I think it's not easy to say oh just throw it to the 80% FT guy in that situation.

To me all this really does is mask the actual problem.

It's not that Rob missed a free throw or that Cal had Reed inbound the ball instead of being on the other side receiving the pass.

It's that our defense once again put us in this situation to begin with.

Over the course of a 40 min game teams separate themselves. When it's tight over the last few mins of the game, most of the time it's going down to the wire. You can't separate. And when you can't do that, these things are going to happen. Because the game becomes a coin flip. We won this game @ Florida. We lost it last night.

I never said anything about when a game is on the line but he was 4-6 against T A&M so doesn't matter when it is he still can miss. I would rather have him shoot than anyone else but Dillingham is an 80%ft shooter also

Reactions: The_Answer1313
I was reading through 50 replies to see if anyone else called you out on your BS which in fact was BS no matter how many people point it out. Sorry you took the time to make such a shitty inaccurate post 😂
It wasn't shitty or inaccurate. What was the FT stats for both players for the game? What about the season? There was no added benefit or stronger percentage of a guaranteed win with Rob or Reed shooting the FT. If we are going by stats, it should have been Reeves.

If Rob makes the inbounds pass and it doesn't work, you Reed slurpers would just whine that he should be inbounding the pass as he is the best passer, and that Cal was putting too much pressure on him after playing him too many minutes and setting him for for failure.

Honestly, lately I don't have a lot of trust in Reed. Early in the season, yes. It's a given that he will give up as many of more points as he scores, off dumb passes and non-existent defense. He needs to be here another year and be forced to fixed those things.
Eh I still trust Reed, he had 6 assists that if players made wide open shots, he's have had a 24 point and 10-11 assist night, and only had 3 turnovers. Yes he gave up a couple 3 point shots but he was easily one of the biggest factors in UK having a chance to win that last night.

To me all this really does is mask the actual problem.

It's not that Rob missed a free throw or that Cal had Reed inbound the ball instead of being on the other side receiving the pass.

It's that our defense once again put us in this situation to begin with.

Over the course of a 40 min game teams separate themselves. When it's tight over the last few mins of the game, most of the time it's going down to the wire. You can't separate. And when you can't do that, these things are going to happen. Because the game becomes a coin flip. We won this game @ Florida. We lost it last night.
BALONEY. We had a two point lead and the ball with 14 seconds to go. Cal gave the game away while holding three timeouts in his pocket.

Missed the game, but have it recorded. Was off last night and slept right through it. Will watch later.

So, we finally got burnt because Cal had Reed inbounding the ball?! I remember people saying that it was okay before because it didn’t completely burn us last few times. We ended up hitting enough FTs to win. Cost us this game it seems. Cal is an inept floor coach. When are people gonna wake up?!

Edit: Also, you want your FIVE best FT shooters in at that point, no matter the position they play. Been preaching this all season!

You aren't totally wrong. We had two timeouts, you have to make sure you get the ball to Reed or Antonio there. But ultimately, Dillingham shot them. He is 76% on the season, which is pretty good. It's not like we had a poor FT shooter taking those shots.

Still, that was one of many really poor coaching variables last night.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Some of you guys have built the myth of Reed Sheppard up so much you're afraid to criticize him in any way. If another player was as bad on D, you would be lighting them up. With Reed, you try to find ways to spin and justify his poor play.

I like Reed, but he should be open to the same criticism as any other player, regardless of his heritage.

Some of you guys have built the myth of Reed Sheppard up so much you're afraid to criticize him in any way. If another player was as bad on D, you would be lighting them up. With Reed, you try to find ways to spin and justify his poor play.

I like Reed, but he should be open to the same criticism as any other player, regardless of his heritage.

Especially on that last play. You know the other team needs a 3. You can't be in the middle of nowhere guarding absolutely no one.

But lets be honest here, this team has several guys that simply don't or cannot play defense.

I'll say this about Reed on defense tho, it's certainly not for lack of effort. And he does do somethings well. He's disruptive. One of the few guys on this team that can force turnovers on defense. He also had that big block on that corner three late in this game as well. There was good plays being made by him.

He just has major trouble keeping anyone in front of him.

I think it's clear as day tho.

With Reed and Rob we are a better team on offense.
With Wagner we are a better team on defense.

Hopefully at some point we find a good balance there.

Especially on that last play. You know the other team needs a 3. You can't be in the middle of nowhere guarding absolutely no one.

But lets be honest here, this team has several guys that simply don't or cannot play defense.
Damn straight!

Reed played one of his better offensive games, but it came at a cost on defense. I don't see any problem with stating that. He gambles far too often trying to disrupt passing lanes or blocking shots. It makes him and the team vulnerable at times.

Lots of guys on the team are also bad at defense, so it's not an attack on Reed. Reeves has always been subpar in that area. Reed has long had questions about his on ball defense, which are proving founded. Wagner and Dilly could both be good defenders and have shown it at times, but neither is consistent.

One of the reasons Cal keeps trying to make Edwards fit is because his length and athleticism should translate to good D. It doesn't at the moment.

The fact still remains, we had the game won until someone gave up an open 3 to a good shooter. Only 1 person did that!

Reactions: The_Answer1313
I'll say this about Reed on defense tho, it's certainly not for lack of effort. And he does do somethings well. He's disruptive. One of the few guys on this team that can force turnovers on defense. He also had that big block on that corner three late in this game as well. There was good plays being made by him.

He just has major trouble keeping anyone in front of him.
Don't forget that runout he blocked the layup too.

I didn't trust Rob when he stepped to the line, and I still don't trust him to make two clutch free throws.

I love his game, but to use Cal's own term, trust can only be proven by "demonstrated performance", and Rob has melted in clutch moments at times this season with bad shots, highlight reel step-back-threes, and poor defensive decisions.

I think you are a fairly logical poster but none of that is relevant to the situation. Rob does get carried away in clutch moments but we are talking FT's in this case. It is hard to fault Cal for sending a 76% FT shooter to the line. I also think that not fouling at the end before they shot a 3 was a bad coaching decision because of the way that they were shooting the 3.

It wasn't shitty or inaccurate. What was the FT stats for both players for the game? What about the season? There was no added benefit or stronger percentage of a guaranteed win with Rob or Reed shooting the FT. If we are going by stats, it should have been Reeves.

If Rob makes the inbounds pass and it doesn't work, you Reed slurpers would just whine that he should be inbounding the pass as he is the best passer, and that Cal was putting too much pressure on him after playing him too many minutes and setting him for for failure.
Not inaccurate huh??? Ok Mr. Wizard, then explain to me how if Reed had made the one FT he missed that we would have also won the game. He missed his 2nd FT (intentionally on Cals request), after making his first and we were down by 3 with .02 to go. Was he going to be awarded 4 points for the 2nd FT? I’m confused here so please clean your mess up for me so that I can understand it as you do.

You do know Reed missed the same number of FT's as Rob, right? If Reed made his, we win as well.

• Haha
Reactions: Ron Swanson
Lol Rob is a 76% free throw shooter on the season.

Yet people were blasting him, wanting to change his free throw motion all because he happened to miss one at the extreme wrong time.

Lol, being honest is an excuse now?

Also, reed is 80% from the line, and Rob is 76%. Not some drastic difference.
what is better 90% ft shooter or 76% ? Maybe Mitchell should be inbounding the ball and your first two options is Dill setting screens to make sure our 2 90% guys are catching it.

• Haha
what is better 90% ft shooter or 76% ? Maybe Mitchell should be inbounding the ball and your first two options is Dill setting screens to make sure our 2 90% guys are catching it.

Wait what ? What guy on UK is currently hitting 90% ?

We were comparing a 76% guy to an 80% guy.

If we are talking Reeves he was on the court as well. It wasn’t like he wasn’t an option there.

Not inaccurate huh??? Ok Mr. Wizard, then explain to me how if Reed had made the one FT he missed that we would have also won the game. He missed his 2nd FT (intentionally on Cals request), after making his first and we were down by 3 with .02 to go. Was he going to be awarded 4 points for the 2nd FT? I’m confused here so please clean your mess up for me so that I can understand it as you do.
You make the free throw and you're down 2. You go for the steal on the inbounds under your own basket and go for a quick 2 to tie or 3 to win. IIRC, Reevs just scored a 3 off an inbounds play in the last couple of weeks with less than 1 second on the shot clock. It's not impossible.

Also, if Reed doesn't lose his man on a late 3 to send the game to OT, we also win.

Dillingham has shot a higher FT % in conference play. While Reeves should have been the main target, Dillingham was a good option as well.
Who is 90%?

Reed is 80% for the season, and Rob in 76%. Reeves is like 86%. However, since SEC play started, Dillingham is shooting a better FT% than Sheppard. So he was a solid choice to take them.

If Mitchell had inbounded the ball and turned it over, you all would be complaining Cal should have let Sheppard inbound the ball because he is the best passer. Had Sheppard went to the line and missed, you would have complained Cal purposefully set him up for failure by playing him too many minutes. It's just constant complaining.

You make the free throw and you're down 2. You go for the steal on the inbounds under your own basket and go for a quick 2 to tie or 3 to win. IIRC, Reevs just scored a 3 off an inbounds play in the last couple of weeks with less than 1 second on the shot clock. It's not impossible.

Also, if Reed doesn't lose his man on a late 3 to send the game to OT, we also win.

Dillingham has shot a higher FT % in conference play. While Reeves should have been the main target, Dillingham was a good option as well.

Who is 90%?

Reed is 80% for the season, and Rob in 76%. Reeves is like 86%. However, since SEC play started, Dillingham is shooting a better FT% than Sheppard. So he was a solid choice to take them.

If Mitchell had inbounded the ball and turned it over, you all would be complaining Cal should have let Sheppard inbound the ball because he is the best passer. Had Sheppard went to the line and missed, you would have complained Cal purposefully set him up for failure by playing him too many minutes. It's just constant complaining.
In your scenario we don’t win had Reed made the 2nd FT however as you suggested as we had to steal the ball and hit another shot. Also he didn’t miss on his own, it was missed intentionally as that is what cal wanted him to do. Poor strategy as your scenario would have given us a better chance albeit slightly better.

In your scenario we don’t win had Reed made the 2nd FT however as you suggested as we had to steal the ball and hit another shot. Also he didn’t miss on his own, it was missed intentionally as that is what cal wanted him to do. Poor strategy as your scenario would have given us a better chance albeit slightly better.
We could have! It would be contingent on whether we could have gotten the steal and converted it in time or not.

But he still missed! Is there a guarantee he makes it if not? He still shot the same FT average for the game as Dilly, and he averages a lower ft % in SEC play than Dilly. Sheppard is also the better passer, whily Dillingham is quicker and better at getting himself open. Dilly is surprisingly also less turnover prone than Sheppard has been. So, in my opinion, as well as statistically backed, we were better off letting Sheppard inbound and Reeves and Dilly drawing the fouls. It didn't work out, but the numbers suggested that gave us a better percentage for it to work.

None of this would matter if we guarded the late 3 or did countless other things better to make up 1 point in regulation.

The other thing is Reed has a higher turnover rate than Rob on the season.

Florida had time. They could have tried for a steal before fouling. Maybe Cal just trusts Rob more in that situation than Reed

It’s not as clear cut as just get it to the 80% FT shooter guy
Shepherd: 31-TO in 20-games with 546-minutes played.
1.55-TO/PG​
One TO every 17.6 minutes played​

Dilly: 36-TO in 19-games with 445-minutes played.
1.90-TO/PG​
One TO for every 12.4-minutes played​

Reed and Dilly turnovers this year:

SEC
Reed 12-TO/ 8-games/ 1.5-TOPG
Dilly 17-TO/ 7-games/ 2.4-TOPG

OOC
Both with 19-TO in 12-games/ 1.6-TOPG

I think Dillingham should be UK's best on-ball defender because of his quickness, but he's not disciplined, gambles way too much and gets out of position way too easily and then points to a teammate to switch causing them to closeout too slow, too late!!

All of Kentucky's guards have this issue of sagging, gambling and don't have the judgement, instinct or foot speed to recover out to the 3pt line, SWISH!!!

Shepherd: 31-TO in 20-games with 546-minutes played.
1.55-TO/PG​
One TO every 17.6 minutes played​

Dilly: 36-TO in 19-games with 445-minutes played.
1.90-TO/PG​
One TO for every 12.4-minutes played​

A better way to look at it is turnover rate

Reed = 17.0%
Rob = 15.1%

Reed missed his ON PURPOSE what games are you guys watching or you watching just the box score ?

Also forget % who do you want at the line for the final FT ? Reed or Dilly ? IT IS REED remember A&M with less than 1 second left down 2 hit both remember at Florida when he nailed 6 in a row ?

Reeves is the other acceptable answer...........Get it to Reed or Reeves for the FT's

Dilly is a good FT shooter but his stroke is a little unnerving as he does a little hop shooting them.

Wait what ? What guy on UK is currently hitting 90% ?

We were comparing a 76% guy to an 80% guy.

If we are talking Reeves he was on the court as well. It wasn’t like he wasn’t an option there.
Maybe but Reed had hit clutch free throws multiple times down the stretch in SEC games. He's clearly proven he can knock them down when it counts.

Maybe but Reed had hit clutch free throws multiple times down the stretch in SEC games. He's clearly proven he can knock them down when it counts.

I think it's one of those things where if you asked most people they would say they were more comfortable if Reed took them. I would have been as well.

At the same rate, there's going to be a close game maybe in tournament time where someone other than Reed is going to have to make key free throws.

Honestly, if Reed didn't inbound the ball there wasn't even a certainty Reed would have been able to get the ball. I'm sure Florida knows the same thing we do and would try their best to have someone else receive the ball and beat them.

The other thing about that play. Having Reed inbound the ball didn't exactly prevent him from getting back. Rob could have thrown it right back to him before the foul. Dilly held it because he was confident he could make the free throws. It didn't happen but I'd certainly back him again in that situation to knock them down.

Reeds shooting a worse ft % in conference than Dilly.

You guys and leadbelly must be one hell of a story. Seems like they scared some of you all!
When the game has been on the line and free throws must be made to seal the win or force OT Reed has yet to miss. That being said, I’m fine with dilly taking those but make shep also available to pass too which he isn’t inbounding the ball.

When the game has been on the line and free throws must be made to seal the win or force OT Reed has yet to miss. That being said, I’m fine with dilly taking those but make shep also available to pass too which he isn’t inbounding the ball.
So you want a bad passer to inbound, so you can then bitch that Cal didn’t have the teams best passer inbounding the ball.

The right choice was made, it didn't work out. It would be completely irrelevant if someone didn't forget to guard a 3pt shooter on a late shot!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT