ADVERTISEMENT

So Matt Painter

Man has won an NBA title. He had a framed Rupp Arena on his office wall while at the Lakers.
He won an NBA title in the bubble and needed LeBron and AD to do it. Doesn't everyone here get on Cal for "needing" generational talent and the NBA lockout to win his title? Sounds like almost the same situation to me.

And the NBA and college game are hugely different. There's zero proof Vogel knows how to navigate the college landscape. It just seems like a giant reach to me just for the sake of hiring a guy with ties to the program. Time and time again prioritizing that fails.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Purdue has 10 instate guys. I love that. Couple actually have red shirted.

Like that steady eddy approach. They are solid every year and may be special this season. No roster rebuilds. Calm program. No mass exodus. Recruit to a system and get replacement pieces that fit it.
Gonna pull for them. Good supportive fans

Reactions: bigbluedon
Do people do zero research about all these coaches they think would come to UK. Purdue is his alma mater and he played PG there for four years. If he wins a title there he'd go down in history as possibly the most important person in Purdue basketball history.

I swear everyone here thinks UK is the absolute center of the basketball universe for every possible coach, and it's not even close.
Well in this case I can attest….the answer is no , lol .

Didn’t know that, has he ever hinted at it in interviews or anything? Seems odd to lay hope on a guy who’s never coached in NCAA.
He has a picture of Rupp Arena in his office. I’ve heard him talk about being on the JV team and how his only job was to feed Nazr the ball.

Last edited:
I eventually want Frank Vogel, with Rondo and Ulis on his staff. I want a successful transition of power from Calipari to Vogel. That way Cal can still help as an ambassador. Hopefully Calipari steps down after next year.
Cal Be Sucking as an Ambassador for UK. Probably the worst idea ever thought of. Why????

Reactions: bigbluedon
He has a picture of Rupp Arena in his office. I’ve heard him talk about being on the JV team and how his only job was to feed Nazr the ball.
I'd definitely take him over Cal at this point. It's be a risk but if we brought in some killer assistants that can navigate the college part I think he'd be successful.

Painter is better than we give him credit for, but I believe he is a Purdue alum and has been mediocre in the tournament.

I think he would do fine, he already plays a brutal schedule and has won his league many times. Look at their record this year, as good as anyone. He’s won the BIg tournaments too.

He has one E8 in his years at Purdue and lost to St Peters as a 3 seed when we lost to them as a 2. Until this year that loss was considered one of Cal's all time biggest losses and maybe THE all time biggest loss. Purdue turned around and lost to them too even knowing that they had beat us. A good coach doesn't lose to St Peters.

Sorry… skipped a bunch of posts

No. He is a Purdue guy I believe.
Yep. Purdue player 1989-93
Coached one year as HC at Southern Illinois 2003-04
At Purdeue ever since.

17-14 NCAA record…. First Round 3 times, Second round 4 times, Sweet 16 5 times, Elite Eight once (not counting this year

Salary $3.67M (Wiki)

Mention practically any coach and the go to line for critics is some version of “ What’s he won ? “ . If he wins the National Championship or gets to the final four will he become a viable candidate to ever coach at UK ? Thoughts?
Painter is a very good coach but think he'll be a Purdue lifer. Just never see him leaving there. Played there. Assistant there. Comfort and success in his plan.

It's how I view Hurley too. East Coast guy....comfortable why would he leave?

I'm chalking up Oats as a lost cause right now too.

So it's time to start keeping an eye on guys like Golden at UF, Abdur Rahim at USF, and other younger coaches to see how they progress and I just named 2 but there are numerous others who could evolve/grow into strong candidates. I personally have always loved the idea of Chris Quinn from the Miami Heat but think he wants nothing to do with CBB--will be an NBA HC soon but would be a home run. I'd also look to the Spoelstra tree of coaching as that's got Pat Riley influence and would appease those who like idea of Kentucky "brand" and arguably the best HC in the NBA influence on coaching.

Reactions: yoshukai
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT