ADVERTISEMENT

Silver/Gold "stacking"

HymanKaplan

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 14, 2001
Can somebody try to explain to me the rationale behind this.

If it all hits the fan, what are you supposed to DO with all of that metal?

If it's a hedge against the dollar, and you have to sell it, and end up with inflated dollars, what has it done for you in the long run?

It'll take all you got to have minimal necessities for a very short amount of time would be my guess. Everything will be inflated much more than they are now.

PTI - in spite of his cranky personality, knows a thing or two about wealth accumulation, so if he thinks it's a stupid idea, he's probably right.

I really need food. Here's an American Gold Eagle, that I paid two thousand dollars for. Wanna trade?

I'm old, and it seems, frankly...

Stupid as fvck.

I'm only asking about it because I've managed 6 decades on this earth having NEVER heard of it.

My first thought was, "This sounds like stuffing cash in your GD mattress."

But, I'm openminded so "maybe I'm missing something here."

As usual, I'm not.

from what I’ve gathered typically those looking for an “alternative” currency are ones that haven’t been particularly successful at the current standard and are hoping beyond reason that the current system collapses and the one they chose wins out. Kind of an illogical get rich quick scheme. At the end of the day the only things that hold, and will continue to hold, real value are tangible goods like food and housing. Gold and silver are no more inherently valuable than cash just because they’re shiny, heavy, and naturally occurring.

I'd probably just get fvcking high, and forget where I hid it
I made a treasure map, but I can't find THAT GD thing either. Anticipating that, I also made a second map to find the first map, in case I lost IT, but...

It's gold and silver turtles, STACKED all the way down.

If you look at the price of gold vs inflation, at best, there's very little correlation and, at worst, it's been a very bad 'hedge' against inflation contrary to the popular belief. Gold, like any other commodity, is only worth what someone is willing to pay you for it. Mathematically, you can't analyze the price of gold and determine if it's fairly priced, overpriced or a 'value'. There's no expected cash flows, no revenues, etc. In short, it's a very shiny baseball card - value is only determined by the buyer's willingness to pay. Bitcoin, oil, currency, lumber, etc. are all the same type of asset. We think they have value but there is no mathematical way to calculate that value nor any way to predict what that value may be in the future.

Gold and Silver was used for money for thousands of years as I am sure you are all aware so, perhaps stackers think it will be again. According to some, there are countries who are buying a lot of it up (China, Russia, Turkey, Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan and a few others) not for that purpose maybe but because those countries make a lot of jewelry and other items overlayed with gold and silver as status symbols.

There are a few (we have all seen the commercials) known actors (William Devane to name one) and billionaire's (Warren Buffet to name one) who actually have bought physical silver and gold (Buffet sunk millions into it) to use as a hedge against inflation or whatever. Elon is looking to buy a mining company for silver probably to make sure he has enough for his cars or other electronics he is invested in as silver is used for a lot of products out there. I have looked into it and there are a lot of companies selling these metals (including palladium, platinum, copper etc...) and it seems to me that the current push is just another way for companies to make a lot of money as they ask a lot for the metals. I would be cautious if deciding to buy because these companies do not seem to be worried about a dollar crash.

Reactions: Girthang
My father had a QuakerOats container full of pre1964 silver dimes, quarters, halves, and dollars. He stored them in a lockbox at his bank. His bank closed, he had to remove the contents, and he gave the QuakerOats container to me.

He had spent $1500 over 30 years to store those coins. None of them were worth more than their silver content. The whole collection was worth ~$3500 in 2010.

This was during Barack's first term. The market was nuts. A quarter was worth $6. I sold the quarters and dimes. I kept the halves and dollars just because I liked the look of them.

The price of silver when I sold was $31.50/oz. It had peeked maybe 6 months before that.

The price today is $23.50/oz. or $4.25/quarter

Current coin prices if interested:

A friend of mine makes jewelry. He stopped buying casting grain and went towards making his own from fine metal rounds and bars he could purchase directly or second hand/yard sales and such. He's the only one I know who buys a bunch of it at a time. Saves him some serious cash to buy at the right time

Picturing silver stackers having to sell their silver currency coins (that appear to be a much higher price than just the price of ummm, silver) for "melt price"

That is going to hurt. Like BAD. LOL

That begs the question: If, for better or worse, you ARE going down that seemingly ODD road; Why wouldn't you just buy un-minted silver bricks etc. rather than coins, that charge a premium? None of this makes a bit of sense.

People on the fringes are just WEIRD (says the guy that has a 5000 dollar collection of pre WWII marbles, but I can at least SELL those for a profit, not the going price for GLASS LOL)

Last edited:
i have un-minted silver rounds; not a lot - maybe a little over a hundred.

They sit in my safe untouched - i purchased then for bartering. Gold is ridiculous to consider for bartering - but a $20 .999 pure silver round would be much more manageable for a chicken, half a hog, quarter of a cow, etc.

BTW - I live in a rural setting where their should be more opportunity for bartering for food.

Also - if it gets down to true bartering I have an abundance of ammo that would be very marketable in crazy scenarios.

I would not suggest Gold and/or silver as a long term investment.

Picturing silver stackers having to sell their silver currency coins (that appear to be a much higher price than just the price of ummm, silver) for "melt price"

That is going to hurt. Like BAD. LOL

That begs the question: If, for better or worse, you ARE going down that seemingly ODD road; Why wouldn't you just buy un-minted silver bricks etc. rather than coins, that charge a premium? None of this makes a bit of sense.

People on the fringes are just WEIRD (says the guy that has a 5000 dollar collection of pre WWII marbles, but I can at least SELL those for a profit, not the going price for GLASS LOL)
Well, at least you haven't lost your marbles yet.

My wife started dabbling in stocks about 2 years ago preparing for her retirement in another 18 years from now (she is 49). Since I will probably be dead by then (crossing fingers) she will only have SS and stocks as her retirement. She bundles the ones she plays and when she started, we looked at the precious metals (not the physical) but the paper stocks. She decided against it because there was just not enough movement over the years to really gain anything (especially silver). But, I did look into the stacking idea and decided to just buy collectors type silver. I have a few rounds but more government minted coins because they are generally better for long term selling (not in my lifetime, thinking more about my daughter). I have a couple of each that I have bought like the Canadian Maple Leaf, South African Krugerand, the Britania, the American Eagle, and a few other 1 troy ounce mints from other governments.

Pure silver will never rise to or above the $50.00 an ounce it once hit imo because of it being an industrial metal and its uses in the medical field to solar panels makes it too important to allow it to get to real precious metal status. Imagine how much everything would cost if silver got up to like the price of gold.

Last edited:
Reactions: Girthang
I think you have to focus on the utility of silver to get the entire picture.

The global silver market was under supplied by 237 million ounces in 2022. Global mine production was only 822 million ounces.

Silver is the most conductive material known to man. 40% of all silver mined is used in industrrial applications and is expected to rise. Gold is at 11%, for comparison.

By 2050, the World Bank estimates that the Solar industry will require 500 milion ounces of silver, alone. 360 milion EV's are expected to be on the road by 2030 (21x from now). This forcast will require 308M ounces of silver.

Now throw in the additioanl 539 million needed to satisfy the investment. jewlery, silverware, and photography needs, and you have a pretty sizeable supply side issue.

Recycling is cost prohinitive and not really an option. When the panels and EV's die, the silver dies with them

I bought all of my Dad's silver at spot a couple of years ago. Silver Eagle's premiums are over 60%. I get dealer's need to make money, but GTFOH.

Taking all of that at face value, then what is the point of purchasing minted rounds and coins, rather than just buying big ass bricks of silver at a discount?

i have un-minted silver rounds; not a lot - maybe a little over a hundred.

They sit in my safe untouched - i purchased then for bartering. Gold is ridiculous to consider for bartering - but a $20 .999 pure silver round would be much more manageable for a chicken, half a hog, quarter of a cow, etc.

BTW - I live in a rural setting where their should be more opportunity for bartering for food.

Also - if it gets down to true bartering I have an abundance of ammo that would be very marketable in crazy scenarios.

I would not suggest Gold and/or silver as a long term investment.
I keep a stable of sex slaves for similar purposes.

Reactions: warrior-cat
Can we get clarification from a Twilight enthusiast on here? Does it take bullion purity to kill a werewolf?

Reactions: warrior-cat
Taking all of that at face value, then what is the point of purchasing minted rounds and coins, rather than just buying big ass bricks of silver at a discount?
I don't really know other than if you were buying them (rounds/coins) to use monetarily or for collecting. Be kind of hard to figure out how much to cut out of a bar/brick. Minted government coins to me are just good for collecting and saving to pass on down to family. Not really indifferent to collecting stamps, real silverware, or other collectibles.

If so, you wanna talk about soaring silver prices? If an outbreak of werewolves just started coming out of nowhere.
The Chinese are probably already working on it (and I be they've been stockpiling for decades.)

Wolfsbane exceeds my knowledge of werewolves. Silver bullet is the extent of my expertise.
Vampires don't require such "putting on airs" just a good old sharpened broom handle and you're in business.

Wolfsbane exceeds my knowledge of werewolves. Silver bullet is the extent of my expertise.
Funny as I was posting this Silver Bullet started playing on the movie channel I am watching. I watched a really corny movie about werewolves yesterday that used both silver bullets and wolfsbane. 70's movie called "The Beast Must Die."

It is the bitcoin of oldheads.
Yeah well if you were an old head who bought gold at 300$ an ounce in the 1990s then you’d be a rich old head. It’s not like bitcoin at all. Volatility in the gold markets means 30-40$ swings not 10s of thousands. It is a legit investment to hedge against chaos whether economic or other.

Yeah well if you were an old head who bought gold at 300$ an ounce in the 1990s then you’d be a rich old head. It’s not like bitcoin at all. Volatility in the gold markets means 30-40$ swings not 10s of thousands. It is a legit investment to hedge against chaos whether economic or other.
You'd be a richer old head if you took the same money and put it index funds -- and you would have bought assets with intrinsic value rather a simple store of value that will more or less mirror the rate of inflation in the market over a given time horizon.

Small holdings of gold can, imo, be a legitimate part of a well constructed portfolio. However, to The Clown's point, the thought of buying precious metals to use as currency in the incredibly unlikely event of true government breakdown is boneheadedly stupid, imo. In New Orleans after Katrina, gold wasn't worth dick. A crate of bottled water or a loaded Glock 19, however, were truly valuable.

Last edited:
Can somebody try to explain to me the rationale behind this.

If it all hits the fan, what are you supposed to DO with all of that metal?

If it's a hedge against the dollar, and you have to sell it, and end up with inflated dollars, what has it done for you in the long run?
Lead and brass will be more valuable if SHTF

You'd be a richer old head if you took the same money and put it index funds -- and you would have bought assets with intrinsic value rather a simple store of value that will more or less mirror the rather of inflation in the market over a given time horizon.

Small holdings of gold can, imo, be a legitimate part of a well constructed portfolio. However, to The Clown's point, the thought of buying precious metals to use as currency in the incredibly unlikely event of true government breakdown is boneheadedly stupid, imo. In New Orleans after Katrina, gold wasn't worth dick. A crate of bottled water or a loaded Glock 19, however, were truly valuable.
True, but in Venezuela gold, silver, and other currencies were the only thing that people could use to buy goods post the collapse of the bolivar.

Not advocating for gold or silver as a go to investment but, it is a hedge of sorts against a breakdown. I don't think they will ever lose their value monetarily. While I do not own any gold, I do own a little silver as posted earlier (collectors mints). Don't understand those who go all in and put all of their extra money in it though. To each their own I guess, but given silver's industrial uses it is highly unlikely you could get rich buying a lot of it unless you own a mine.

You'd be a richer old head if you took the same money and put it index funds -- and you would have bought assets with intrinsic value rather a simple store of value that will more or less mirror the rate of inflation in the market over a given time horizon.

In a shtf economic scenario your index funds are worthless:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT