ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky fans got what we deserved-- nobody wants this job...

Juan4UK

Gold Member
Jun 10, 2019
Nobody wants the job of being around this fanbase. The good ones are great but the 'inflated entitlement'' with a large part of this fanbase is gonna get this program exactly what it deserves, enough down years to make them appreciate winning again. Comeuppance coming!!

This is straight up not true. Mitch Barnhardt simply had a terrible candidate as a top candidate. Of course Hurley wasn’t coming here.
Drew was a gamble cause he was at a religious school for 21 years. That’s deep roots.

Barnhardt skipped like 10 guys who are easily better than Pope and would’ve come here.

It’s not that nobody wants this job. You’re a ridiculous person that’s exercising their confirmation bias.

They offered 2 immovable coaches. Drew wanted the job, his family who had been in place for 22 years didn’t want to move. Hurley has built an empire, he wouldn’t have moved for any amount of money.

Mitch is incompetent. He chose Pope over baggage, he didn’t want Pearl, Wade, Beard, etc.

Here’s what Mitch doesn’t understand about the fanbase, we don’t care about baggage, we care about winning. He should have paid Lloyd or Oats buyouts and hired a winner, at the bare minimum he should have hired one of the successful coaches with baggage.

This is the worst decision by an AD that Kentucky has had since they undervalued Bear Bryant.

Nobody wants the job of being around this fanbase. The good ones are great but the 'inflated entitlement'' with a large part of this fanbase is gonna get this program exactly what it deserves, enough down years to make them appreciate winning again. Comeuppance coming!!
So UK being terrible the last 5 years is the fans fault? And wanting a home run hire and settling on Pope is because of fan entitlement?

So UK being terrible the last 5 years is the fans fault? And wanting a home run hire and settling on Pope is because of fan entitlement?
Make no mistake, the fanbase played a huge part in running cal off. It’s on him that he lost those games. But the fans are so over the top with the negativity that it would always affect the next hire. We have been playing with fire and we got burned.

Sounds like a real fan.

Reactions: KFuqua
There is a line of coaches out the door that would take this job. Mitch just jumped over all of them and hired Mark Pope. And now, we should all get behind Mark and give him our full support.

Make no mistake, the fanbase played a huge part in running cal off. It’s on him that he lost those games. But the fans are so over the top with the negativity that it would always affect the next hire. We have been playing with fire and we got burned.
A large part of this is because Cal was allowed to lose for too long. It festered and there was too much time for the fan base to grow resentful. That’s on Mitch not being able to read the room. Cal dismissing 9-16 as nothing should have been cause to start paying closer attention.

I don’t mind that Cal got run off. Next year was gonna be more of the same. The big targets didn’t say no because of the fans negativity. I love Pope for what he did as a player and I’ll root my butt off for him, just don’t understand why Mitch panicked.

This is false.

Pearl, Pitino or Beard would've taken the job. Who cares if there is baggage or previous NCAA infractions? The whole sport embraces that now.

This is false.

Pearl, Pitino or Beard would've taken the job. Who cares if there is baggage or previous NCAA infractions? The whole sport embraces that now.
Pearl is 64 years old. Pitino will be 72 this year with all the baggage. Beard beat his fiancé. Give me Mark Pope over those guys.

Reactions: bluesundown

A lot if truth to this.

There’s also a reason I’m not seeing: No established coach wanted to be the guy who follows the Calipari act. Yes, we were pissed at Cal, but his overall body of work still looks good on paper and there is a perception we pushed out a HOF coach who’d won a title.

If Pope doesn’t work out, the narrative will change the next hiring cycle from “following Cal” to “UK needs a savior”

I hope Pope is the real deal and we kick ass with a former Cat at the helm. Would be so sweet. But, color me skeptical.

Reactions: Rockfly78
It’s not that nobody wants this job. You’re a ridiculous person that’s exercising their confirmation bias.

They offered 2 immovable coaches. Drew wanted the job, his family who had been in place for 22 years didn’t want to move. Hurley has built an empire, he wouldn’t have moved for any amount of money.

Mitch is incompetent. He chose Pope over baggage, he didn’t want Pearl, Wade, Beard, etc.

Here’s what Mitch doesn’t understand about the fanbase, we don’t care about baggage, we care about winning. He should have paid Lloyd or Oats buyouts and hired a winner, at the bare minimum he should have hired one of the successful coaches with baggage.

This is the worst decision by an AD that Kentucky has had since they undervalued Bear Bryant.
Stfu 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: bluesundown

You nailed it! Mitch needs to be fired ASAP….he approached this like a regular job because he seemingly doesn’t understand that high level coaching is totally different than most other jobs. Pope was a Rhodes Scholar who is legit brilliant and has a great affable personality. I have zero doubt he crushed his interview and incredibly impressive talking. But talking isn’t coaching and his resume is paper thin. You hired a coach with zero NCAA tournament wins who lost to Duquesne this year as the higher seed because your previous coach kept having really good regular seasons but poor post seasons?!!!!

A lot if truth to this.

There’s also a reason I’m not seeing: No established coach wanted to be the guy who follows the Calipari act. Yes, we were pissed at Cal, but his overall body of work still looks good on paper and there is a perception we pushed out a HOF coach who’d won a title.

If Pope doesn’t work out, the narrative will change the next hiring cycle from “following Cal” to “UK needs a savior”

I hope Pope is the real deal and we kick ass with a former Cat at the helm. Would be so sweet. But, color me skeptical.
This just isn’t true….”established coaches” weren’t given a chance. Mitch moved from Drew to Hurley to Pope.

Exactly!! We’re going to all have to give Mark Pope a chance he’s a smart young coach. He’s one of us and he wants to be here without getting 12 million a year.!! Just think Billy Donovan won’t have to turn us down for the third time!! Now hopefully we can go back to play traditional Kentucky basketball with Mark Pope rather than being an NBA training camp. I’m happy with the hire!!

Exactly!! We’re going to all have to give Mark Pope a chance he’s a smart young coach. He’s one of us and he wants to be here without getting 12 million a year.!! Just think Billy Donovan won’t have to turn us down for the third time!! Now hopefully we can go back to play traditional Kentucky basketball with Mark Pope rather than being an NBA training camp. I’m happy with the hire!!
I think k you missed this 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: Dirt Court King
We haven't been winning in any meaningful way in 5 years, so you're just good with continuing on with that? You don't think Alabama football or Duke or UNC basketball don't have "inflated entitlement"? What kills me is the yahoos who think this is just a KY basketball thing, that this doesn't exist anywhere else out there in the world. I guess you had a point but it sadly missed the mark. Either you want more as a fanbase or you don't. If you don't, you don't get Alabama or Duke or UNC results. Nothing wrong with wanting better when the coach you're absurdly overpaying isn't doing his damn job!

Reactions: Dirt Court King
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT