ADVERTISEMENT

Should KY's Mr. Basketball Get an Automatic Scholly to UK?

We’re you surprised your guy -Adou-moved to Arky?

You were his biggest supporter. I thought he and his dad were upset with Cal. Now he’s got Knox and a couple others in front of him

Thought he might stay but perhaps his game wouldn’t fit.
I thought I was Adou's biggest supporter?

And many of us were pretty sure that RUMOR that he and his dad were upset with Cal, was just that (an unsubstantiated Rumor, probably from someone just wanting "hits" to his website or Instagram). And I think Adou will be one of their top 3-4 players, just like I thought he would be at UK next year (a month ago).

I think he didn't get much NIL the past 2 years, and so he simply went to the school that offered the biggest NIL to him. And Ark must have outbid UNC, Pitt, UK and others.

Reactions: Kybluedude
I would say yes if it was a School scholly not a team one to count towards total. If he was good like Perry n Noah yeah but if not he gets a scholly from school under some program an plays as a walk on .

No. However, I would like to see a KY kid stay in-state. There are good mid-majors in Kentucky that would benefit, i.e., WKU, EKU, MS.

Reactions: Zissou87
It depends on how good he is, tell that to Lofton and some of the boys that went to Vandy over the years. We wouldn't have had Hawkins, Rex or Darius Miller, Pelphrey, Farmer and Winston Bennett they were all Mr basketballs. We never had one who didn't help the team at some point and some of them didn't do as well as others. I think he should get a long hard look who ever it is, ratings don't measure heart and desire and will to win.
Well a GUARANTEE would not be based on national prominence. Which is why my answer is no. In some years the Mr. basketball IS good enough to warrant a guaranteed ride, but not always, which is why you can't put in the Guarantee. Can't pick and chose which players in different years you would want, that is not a guarantee.

Biggest concern is so many would take it just to wear blue and white for 4 years that you could end up with 4 there all the time and only have 9 left to offer to contributors.

Absolutely not.

Most Kentucky Mr. Basketball award winners are scrubs. I mean, look at some of these names:

2010 - Elisha Justice. LOL, no.
2011 - Anthony Hickey. Okay, I could get behind that one.
2012 - Nathan Dieudonne. Who?
2013 - Dominique Hawkins. Yep.
2014 - Quentin Snyder. Maybe. But he was kind of a scrub at Louisville. The beginning of their downfall.
2015 - Camron Justice. LOL, no.
2016 - Carson Williams. Who?
2017 - Taveion Hollingsworth. Ehhh. I don't think so.
2018 - Trevon Faulkner. No.
2019 - Dontaie Allen. Turned out to be more hype than substance.
2020 - Dayvion McKnight. No.
2021 - Ben Johnson. LOL.
2022 - Turner Buttry. LOL.
2023 - Reed Sheppard. First decent/elite Mr. Kentucky basketball winner since Darius Miller in 2008?
2024 - Travis Perry. Remains to be seen.

So yeah, usually Mr. Basketball in Kentucky is mid-major/Division II talent at best. The Reed Sheppards of the world are very few and far-between.

Absolutely not.

Most Kentucky Mr. Basketball award winners are scrubs. I mean, look at some of these names:

2010 - Elisha Justice. LOL, no.
2011 - Anthony Hickey. Okay, I could get behind that one.
2012 - Nathan Dieudonne. Who?
2013 - Dominique Hawkins. Yep.
2014 - Quentin Snyder. Maybe. But he was kind of a scrub at Louisville. The beginning of their downfall.
2015 - Camron Justice. LOL, no.
2016 - Carson Williams. Who?
2017 - Taveion Hollingsworth. Ehhh. I don't think so.
2018 - Trevon Faulkner. No.
2019 - Dontaie Allen. Turned out to be more hype than substance.
2020 - Dayvion McKnight. No.
2021 - Ben Johnson. LOL.
2022 - Turner Buttry. LOL.
2023 - Reed Sheppard. First decent/elite Mr. Kentucky basketball winner since Darius Miller in 2008?
2024 - Travis Perry. Remains to be seen.

So yeah, usually Mr. Basketball in Kentucky is mid-major/Division II talent at best. The Reed Sheppards of the world are very few and far-between.
It seems your definition of scrub is just that they aren't good enough for UK....but it's surprising you take Dom Hawkins when these 3 below were better than him and could've provided the same if not more than he did as a role player at UK. Q Snider was a top 50 recruit if I remember

Snyder started for about 4 years at Louisville in the ACC....ranked teams. His senior year he was 12 points, 4 assists, & 3 boards & 42% from 3. 15+ PER his Sophomore through Senior years....in the ACC. But yeah....that's a scrub lol He's WAY better than Dom Hawkins....who you said yes to.

Hollingsworth's career at WKU was around 15 points, 4 rebounds, and 2 assists....34% from 3. For a 4 year career he started every game. Would he have been a star for us? No. Would he have been better than Askew and Boston? Yes. He wasn't a scrub. He wasn't a UK level starter, but he was way better than Dom Hawkins.

McKnight. Last year at Xavier he averaged 12 points & 5 assists on 37% from 3 in the Big East. Better than Dom Hawkins.

Reactions: HeismaNole
Why would you say no to Hollingsworth and McKnight ? BOTH would have been very solid rotational players at UK. Would they have starred like they did for WKU ? Probably not, but Hollingsworth was actually a better PG than what we had during his time. You are wrong on those 2.
PGs for UK :
17-18 - Quade Green - LOL, not even a debate.
18-19 - Hagans - Decent, but a head case.
19-20 - Hagans / Green - Easy, give me Tay all day over them 2. hagans was a cancer his last year.
20-21 - Devin Askew - LOL. No need to even give reasons. Plus Mintz could have played his normal 2G position.

Hollingsworth stats at WKU :
Freshman - 13.3 ppg / 3.4 reb. / 2 assist / 1 steal (all 5 starters averaged dd points)
Sophomore - 14.4 ppg / 4.4 reb. / 2.2 assist / 1.2 steals (Same, Charles Bassy, Jared Savage (BG kid), Josh Anderson, where all solid players for WKU. Footnote: Tolu Smith (Miss. State) was a freshman on that team)
Junior - 17 ppg / 4.2 reb. / 2.7 assist / 1.3 steals (6 players averaged DD points)
Senior - 14 ppg / 4 reb. / 2.5 assist / 1.2 steals - solid team finished 21-8. Beat Memphis and Bama that year.

The 18-19 season, WKU beat WVU, @ Arkansas, St. Marys, and #15 Wisconsin. Against Wisconsin, Tay had 22/4/6 on 8-11 shooting. He could play and did not get intimidated by no one.

Why would you say no to Hollingsworth and McKnight ? BOTH would have been very solid rotational players at UK. Would they have starred like they did for WKU ? Probably not, but Hollingsworth was actually a better PG than what we had during his time. You are wrong on those 2.
PGs for UK :
19-20 - Hagans / Green - Easy, give me Tay all day over them 2. hagans was a cancer his last year.
20-21 - Devin Askew - LOL. No need to even give reasons. Plus Mintz could have played his normal 2G position.

Freshman - 13.3 ppg / 3.4 reb. / 2 assist / 1 steal (all 5 starters averaged dd points)
Sophomore - 14.4 ppg / 4.4 reb. / 2.2 assist / 1.2 steals (Same, Charles Bassy, Jared Savage (BG kid), Josh Anderson, where all solid players for WKU. Footnote: Tolu Smith (Miss. State) was a freshman on that team)
Junior - 17 ppg / 4.2 reb. / 2.7 assist / 1.3 steals (6 players averaged DD points)
Senior - 14 ppg / 4 reb. / 2.5 assist / 1.2 steals - solid team finished 21-8. Beat Memphis and Bama that year.

The 18-19 season, WKU beat WVU, @ Arkansas, St. Marys, and #15 Wisconsin. Against Wisconsin, Tay had 22/4/6 on 8-11 shooting. He could play and did not get intimidated by no one.
He said yes to Dom Hawkins and no to Quin Snyder....so you can kind of tell he never really watched any of those guys play outside of highlights. They didn't go to UK so they're not good.

PGs for UK :

2017-2018 Shae Alexander took over for Quade. Pretty sure he was good! Funny how you left that out to make a point.

2017-2018 Shae Alexander took over for Quade. Pretty sure he was good! Funny how you left that out to make a point.
No I didn't leave it out. BUT you fail to understand, you need more than ONE pg. I NEVER said he should be a starter at UK, maybe read the part about being "a solid rotational player". Funny how you felt to leave out parts of my post to make a point. IQ was there during Hollingsworth's time at WKU, he was pretty good also. But that was not my point, yes we had good PG's some of the time, but did we ever have guys to go with them ? Maybe try to pay attention and READ before you try and call someone out, it would make you look a lot less foolish.

And "took over for for Quade", meaning he was shit and we needed another PG with or without SGA being on the team. Thanks for helping make my point.

Nooooooooooo! You’d eventually have 4 scholarships tied up for marginal players all the time.

Reactions: jrpross
Dontaie Allen winning Mr. Basketball over David Johnson was so bogus. LOL

Never had any team success and missed over half his senior year with a knee injury yet won Mr. Basketball over the Trinity player who went on to win the state tournament and MVP. That was one that was because Allen was a UK commit.

Not saying they should or shouldn't.

So, I've seen on here over the last couple of weeks the mention of the importance of a born/bred Kentucky boy being on the team. What do you think?
I don’t know that all Mr. Kentucky’s deserve a scholarship, but they should be given the opportunity to join the team. Might be as a PWO or scholarship.

There have been just as many players who DID NOT win Mr. basketball that could have played as players that DID win it. Justin Johnson a BG (born in Bowling Green) / Hazard kid could have been a really solid rotation player for UK.

I don’t know that all Mr. Kentucky’s deserve a scholarship, but they should be given the opportunity to join the team. Might be as a PWO or scholarship.
They all are given an opportunity, just not a GUARANTEE to. I would say that if ANY of the previous winner was Ok with being a walk on, none of the coaches (even Cal) would turn them down. But allotting 1 scholarship per year for them, no.

There have been just as many players who DID NOT win Mr. basketball that could have played as players that DID win it. Justin Johnson a BG (born in Bowling Green) / Hazard kid could have been a really solid rotation player for UK.
Shelvin Mack
Kelan Martin
Quentin Goddin
Taylor Barnette
Omar Prewitt
James Bolden
Dwayne Sutton
Aric Holeman
Carson Williams
Chris Vogt
David Sloan
Trevon Faulkner
Michael Moreno
Adam Kunkel (still mad at Cal on this one)
Justin Powell

Several could've been solid pieces for our team IMO

My answer would be, "sort of".

Guaranteed, no. But if the kids good enough to play here why not? Even if it's for those last few spots that barely play. They can always transfer down a level if they don't pan out.

My answer would be, "sort of".

Guaranteed, no. But if the kids good enough to play here why not? Even if it's for those last few spots that barely play. They can always transfer down a level if they don't pan out.
that is kind of been the situation pretty forever. Other than a few Cal years. We have pretty much always had guys at the end of the bench. BUT, if the guy is Mr. basketball, he is looking for FULL D1 ride MOST of the time. Shelvin Mack (as Hoptown Cat pointed out), was very good at Xavier, I seriously doubt he would have wanted to be a "endo of the bench" type player. He knew if UK didn't offer, he would get one somewhere.

Reactions: WildcatNC
that is kind of been the situation pretty forever. Other than a few Cal years. We have pretty much always had guys at the end of the bench. BUT, if the guy is Mr. basketball, he is looking for FULL D1 ride MOST of the time. Shelvin Mack (as Hoptown Cat pointed out), was very good at Xavier, I seriously doubt he would have wanted to be a "endo of the bench" type player. He knew if UK didn't offer, he would get one somewhere.
But to be fair to Shelvin....Billy G screwed that up and not Cal.

Shelvin would've been on the Wall/Knight/Davis teams....I think he could've played those years for sure as the 2011 and 2012 teams weren't super deep and he could've found a good role.

Reactions: WildcatNC
Biggest concern is so many would take it just to wear blue and white for 4 years that you could end up with 4 there all the time and only have 9 left to offer to contributors.
Only have 9? That doesn't make sense. That covers rotation. That's assuming the Mr basketball players suck. Terrible thinking.

But to be fair to Shelvin....Billy G screwed that up and not Cal.

Shelvin would've been on the Wall/Knight/Davis teams....I think he could've played those years for sure as the 2011 and 2012 teams weren't super deep and he could've found a good role.
Oh I agree, I wasn't blaming Cal. it was more of the point that if the players was really good, he wasn't excepting a PWO spot JUST to play at UK. If most of the Mr. Basketball winners are legit, they want a full ride, and know someone will offer it. Which is why WKU has landed several of the top in state guys. I do not remember the exacts about it, but Charles Bassey was a helluva land for WKU. I think it was grades / shady shit, but at UK he would have been one of the top players regardless of where he was from. He and Hollingsworth was damn fun to watch at WKU. Along with Williams, Justice, McKnight, etc. Those guys could ball.

Only have 9? That doesn't make sense. That covers rotation. That's assuming the Mr basketball players suck. Terrible thinking.
I think he meant every four years, the fourth year, there would be 4 Mr. Basketballs on the roster if any didn't transfer out or blow up and go to the NBA. I THINK that is what he was saying.

I think he meant every four years, the fourth year, there would be 4 Mr. Basketballs on the roster if any didn't transfer out or blow up and go to the NBA. I THINK that is what he was saying.
Still assumes all for in rotation will suck. As compared to the 9 that could have some failures.

Maybe, but having 13 offers to use is a whole lot better odds than only having 9. What if the Mr. basketball winner does not "fit" your team or the way a coach wants to play ? He is stuck with him, no choice if they have a guaranteed spot. I like just like with all of the other roster spots, they are given based on merit. "Just because" seems like a terrible idea.

Mr Basketball status should seriously be considered for a scholarship....But it does not guarantee anything for the performance metrics....But really, its the states number one player in high school, it speaks for something.

Reactions: treyforuk
Oh I agree, I wasn't blaming Cal. it was more of the point that if the players was really good, he wasn't excepting a PWO spot JUST to play at UK. If most of the Mr. Basketball winners are legit, they want a full ride, and know someone will offer it. Which is why WKU has landed several of the top in state guys. I do not remember the exacts about it, but Charles Bassey was a helluva land for WKU. I think it was grades / shady shit, but at UK he would have been one of the top players regardless of where he was from. He and Hollingsworth was damn fun to watch at WKU. Along with Williams, Justice, McKnight, etc. Those guys could ball.
Bassey was shady stuff....remember they got Mitchell Robinson to commit there too

Bassey was shady stuff....remember they got Mitchell Robinson to commit there too
Yeap. how they signed Bassey, Robinson, Courtney Lee I am sure I don't want to know. Same as the big 7 footer who broke his leg, Chris (his last name fails me at the moment).

Another solid KY kid I think could have played a role at UK, Stephan Pettigrew. I called him a poor mans Julius Randle. I would think easier admittance is the main reason they was able to land most of these guys, but a couple was shady AF.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Correct. I think there are 13 scholarships allowed. 13-4=9. If some of the 4 contribute then good. But otherwise it is very limiting. Means every other scholarship better work out and have no injuries.

When you don't fill all available scholarships then maybe it should had. Now we may need all of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT