ADVERTISEMENT

Should KY's Mr. Basketball Get an Automatic Scholly to UK?

Last 15 Kentucky Mr. Basketballs

2017 - Taveion Hollingsworth (WKU)
2016 - Carson Williams (Northern Kentucky)
2015 - Camron Justice (Vandy/IUPUI)
2014 - Quentin Snider (Louisville)
2013 - Dominique Hawkins (Kentucky)
2012 - Nathan Dieudonne (Boston U.)
2011 - Anthon Hickey (LSU/Oklahoma St.)
2010 - Elisha Justice (Louisville/Pikeville)
2009 - Jon Hood (Kentucky)
2008 - Darius Miller (Kentucky)
2007 - Steffphon Pettigrew (WKU)
2006 - Walt Allen (Presbyterian)
2005 - Domonic Tilford (South Alabama)
2004 - Chris Lofton (Tennessee)
2003 - Ross Neltner (LSU/Vandy)​

Some quality players there but quite a few lower level players as well. How many would have been worth a scholarship offer by UK? Half?

No, but I do believe that whoever is awared Mr. Basketball in Kentucky should be guaranteed at least a walk-on position.

Ich+mag+die+farbe+ihrer+augen+_7e19a199d95684f9a7f2d437d8042bcb.gif

Reactions: Cindog28
having a guaranteed spot is problematic for another reason - because you end up with 4 Kentucky boys on the team and that's a political headache. Every time we lose a game there will be a clamoring that Paintsville native and sweet 16 legend whatshisname should be getting more minutes...and multiply that by 4.

One is fine. More than that and its a liability.

Not saying they should or shouldn't.

So, I've seen on here over the last couple of weeks the mention of the importance of a born/bred Kentucky boy being on the team. What do you think?
No! If you’re good enough, you’ll get an offer. Not all KY kids want to come sit on the bench when they can play elsewhere.

Reactions: JDHoss

So, I've seen on here over the last couple of weeks the mention of the importance of a born/bred Kentucky boy being on the team. What do you think?

I want deserving kids who can eventually help the team but a big NO to an automatic scholsrship.

Quit drinking on the job.

No not at all..There is one player from KY, that plays at Butler, Kelan Martin that has turned into a very good college player. He played at Ballard with Quentin Snider. He is a Senior, we could have used him.

Kentucky did not lose The Bear because of a watch, but they did lose him because of Happy Chandler's obsession with recruiting only in-state football players. Despite the legend, that is the real reason the Bear left.

Kentucky did not lose The Bear because of a watch, but they did lose him because of Happy Chandler's obsession with recruiting only in-state football players. Despite the legend, that is the real reason the Bear left.

This is true. The Bear's favorite recruiting grounds here was Ohio and Pennsylvania. But then politicians started trying to pressure him to recruit more Ky boys, causing him to get the hell out and leave for A&M.

And Cal would leave just as fast if the state tried to do that today.

Surely you're not suggesting they'd be better than Johnny David.

Obviously automatic every year is absurd.
Automatic by itself absurd. But instead of Johnny David, for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
So there are people that want potentially 1/4 of the scholarships on the team being taken up by players who likely aren't good enough to be contributors at Kentucky?

Reactions: Poetax

LMAO NO!!..This is not a charity ..If you are worthy then Cal will find you..

Nobody should get an automatic scholarship to play basketball or football at Kentucky.

But I would like for the coach at UK, who ever he may be to limit walkons to Kentuckians. I see no advantage to bringing in a 6 foot kid from a Northeast school to sit on the bench for four years when a local player can sit just as good.
What's it matter where they come from anyways?

Reactions: UK90
I have no problem with a Kentucky Mr. Basketball on the team - not 4 of them though. I actually thinks its bad form to not offer,

Its the University of Kentucky.

I think there should be a special scholarship associated with anyone earning that title that guarantees them acceptance and a ride at UK. Not a guarantee on the team, not even as a walk on, but a full ride to the University of Kentucky, and then the program should find a spot for one of them to be on the team, even if he never plays.

There should always be room on the bench for one Kentucky Mr. Basketball.
If the kid ends up on the team as a walk-on, then the school giving him a scholarship for the sole reason of being Mr. Basketball is very likely an NCA violation.

Nobody should get an automatic scholarship to play basketball or football at Kentucky.

But I would like for the coach at UK, who ever he may be to limit walkons to Kentuckians. I see no advantage to bringing in a 6 foot kid from a Northeast school to sit on the bench for four years when a local player can sit just as good.

I'm thinking those guys help stabilize the academic benchmarks so we can give instate nerd preference but generally those kids are looking to get out of state.

Oh hell to the naw. Too many belong down the street at Transylvania.

Now, if they are a good talent (and I dont mean they got an offer to St Louis or whatever, I'm talking at least high D1) a little preferred focus is fine but a Kentucky boy quota is stupicide.

Reactions: Cindog28

I think that's a really bad question....

Sincerely,
Otis Gillispie

Maybe every 4 years. That would not clog up the roster and have a KY on every team. I would rather have Carson Williams or Hollingsworth than Johnny David or Sam Malone.

I certainly don't disagree with this. Could it be any worse to have . . . say . . . another Jon Hood vs. a Tai Wynyard? Neither really major contributors.

Just being devil's advocate. . . . not saying they should or shouldn't.

Not every kid works out and every year is different so no, a free ride shouldn’t be guaranteed.

I may be wrong but I believe all UK championship teams have had an in state player on the roster. If thats the case at least use one of the walk-on spots for a talented KY kid. So long as he's smart enough to help team gpa like Pullman, what's the difference. It isn't like he contributes on the court.
I was actually kind of surprised Cal used those slots on friends of the family rather than someone from KY. However, its his prerogative. The case could be made for Washington since he was born in Louisville but I'm not sure he list it as his hometown.

They were walkons.

You can't be serious. If this were to happen, after 4 years of this. We would have 4 of our scholarships tied up on four 2/3 -Star recruits. If you want to run Calipari off, pass a law like this and he's gone. And I wouldn't blame him.
And 9 five stars. That would.be turrable.

If the kid ends up on the team as a walk-on, then the school giving him a scholarship for the sole reason of being Mr. Basketball is very likely an NCA violation.

not according to UNC. If we give other kids the same scholarship and they don't play basketball then its not a violation

Last edited:
Reactions: wildcatsboston1984
O
Maybe every 4 years. That would not clog up the roster and have a KY on every team. I would rather have Carson Williams or Hollingsworth than Johnny David or Sam Malone.

If they are walkons like David and Malone then I agree.

No, ky high school bball is garbage. Plus this board would be convinced he's better than he actually is and pout when he doesnt get to play and tyen be an apologist for him constantly that "he needs more time" That is, if he's white.

Reactions: UK90
I'd like to have one or two Kentucky boys on the roster. I know Kentucky isn't loaded with division 1 talent but there seems to be 1 or 2 every year that end up playing and contributing somewhere. I'd say no to a guaranteed offer yearly. Looks like the 2019 class has a couple of guys that should get some attention.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT