ADVERTISEMENT

Seth Greenburg/

• Thread starter anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y
  • Start date
The type of players Greenberg brought in, there was zero reason to pass on a guy like Curry at that time.

He didn't miss out. He offered him a spot as a walk on. Michael Jordan's son wasn't offered by UNC.
Jordan's son wasn't around the level of talent UNC**** was bringing in at the time. Curry was fairly equal to what VT was bringing in including the 3* freshman PG they brought in that year.

Nobody is saying they should have recognized he's become the NBA MVP. That's ludicrous. But he was on par with the talent that VT was bringing In on their bubble teams.

I know many here have forgotten but not every team laughs at 3 star talent, is overly picky of 4 stars and only considers top 50 5 star prospects.

It would be like us passing on Mash Jr if he was ranked 60th for a guy similarly ranked at 52. Better yet, try to remember the late Tubby years and BCG recruiting days.

It shouldn't discredit Greenburg but he should have offered

Last edited:
I always thought that he got a bad wrap at VA Tech, they were no good since Ace Custis played there until he came.

Yup, I was always pretty pleased with what he got done there. Tech really had only had a few successful coaching runs ... Chuck Noe (50's-60's), Don DeVoe, and Charlie Moir (70's-80's). Bill Foster came in and got things going in the 90's for them before the admin went full idiot and brought in Bobby Hussey and Ricky Stokes back to back. After NIT title in 95, and losing to UK's Title Team in the 96 tourney, the next 2 coaches pretty much wiped out any progress Foster had made.
Seth took over and had them competing, and even beating Duke and UNC on a somewhat regular basis. Trouble is, they seemed to plateau at "bubble team", and never could seem to take the next step. His last class had Montrezl Harrell to add to Dorian Finney Smith from the year before, so he was able to land some kids, but by then it was too late.
"Missing" both Curry kids is a sore spot, for sure ... but "hindsight" as mentioned before.

My ex-gf's brother played with steph at Davidson. I watched him grow up on that team. He sucked and didn't really show signs of being even decent until a junior. His senior year he just locked in. I attended almost every home game that year. It was amazing to watch but I can see why no one offered him. he truly is the exception. I really hope they get a title. He deserves it. What a great kid.

My ex-gf's brother played with steph at Davidson. I watched him grow up on that team. He sucked and didn't really show signs of being even decent until a junior. His senior year he just locked in. I attended almost every home game that year. It was amazing to watch but I can see why no one offered him. he truly is the exception. I really hope they get a title. He deserves it. What a great kid.

What the heck are you talking about? Curry didn't even play his senior year at Davidson, he declared for the draft after his junior year.

He also averaged over 21 points as a freshman. How is that not showing signs of being decent?

Reactions: Bombur
What the heck are you talking about? Curry didn't even play his senior year at Davidson, he declared for the draft after his junior year.

He also averaged over 21 points as a freshman. How is that not showing signs of being decent?

I watched Steph play in person his freshman year at the Bobcats arena. You could clearly see the recruitniks had gotten their rankings wrong. No clue what that other poster is talking about.

If you are going to make crap up at least make it believable. If you attended every single home game you were either stoned or drunk. WTF dude?

He are his freshman accomplishments: SoCon Frosh of Year, All tourney team, all freshman team and first team SoCon, led SoCon in scoring at 21.5 ppg and was second leading freshman scorer in country behind Durant.

Try again.

My ex-gf's brother played with steph at Davidson. I watched him grow up on that team. He sucked and didn't really show signs of being even decent until a junior. His senior year he just locked in. I attended almost every home game that year. .

Wow, did you ever just expose yourself as either a bald faced liar or moron.

Nearly EVERY word you wrote above is false. Curry was tremendous from the very beginning of his college career, an outstanding freshman year, and as a sophomore merely carried Davidson to the greatest season in the school's history with that Elite 8 run. Oh, and he NEVER had a "senior year", he left early for the NBA after his jr season.

Last edited:
I know people have responded to this, but you can't cherry pick the most successful guys from a draft, like 2011, and say they could have had so-and-so. They had the 2nd pick in the draft in 2011, Thompson and Leonard where nowhere near guys that would get picked that high. At that high, you can maybe go a few picks back, but no one was taking Thompson or Leonard with a top 5 pick in that draft.
Thank you for showing me that a hypothetical situation did not in fact occur. Without you pointing this out I may have lived my life under the mistaken belief that it did occur. You sure saved me a lot of time and embarrassment.

The kid was 5-10. A 5-10 three star isn't going to get the same looks as a 6-2 three star. It's I say it's all mathematics, son. You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures.

Steph's father Dell is a Virginia Tech alum and still Seth Greenburg didn't offer Steph a scholarship. Said he could walk-on.. Today, Stephen Curry will be named NBA MVP for 2014-2015. Take everything Greenburg says with a grain of salt. There's a reason why he and others such as Dino Guadio and Dick Vitale are in the studio and announcing games. They sucked at coaching.

So then 90% of college coaches suck?

Steph's father Dell is a Virginia Tech alum and still Seth Greenburg didn't offer Steph a scholarship. Said he could walk-on.. Today, Stephen Curry will be named NBA MVP for 2014-2015. Take everything Greenburg says with a grain of salt. There's a reason why he and others such as Dino Guadio and Dick Vitale are in the studio and announcing games. They sucked at coaching.

LOL!! OK, what about the other D1 coaches who didn't offer Steph? This is hilarious! Sorry but it is funny. Greenburg is one if the best analysts out there and is right behind Bilas IMO. He is thoughtful and insightful. I'll take him over most any other one on ESPN.

It was known here in NC that his dad Dell was not a fan of AAU basketball and did not permit Steph to play.Dell Curry stated something to the effect that it caused players to develop bad fundamentals.The lack of AAU exposure was the main reason he flew under most coaches radar.

It was known here in NC that his dad Dell was not a fan of AAU basketball and did not permit Steph to play.Dell Curry stated something to the effect that it caused players to develop bad fundamentals.The lack of AAU exposure was the main reason he flew under most coaches radar.

That's correct .... and now, it looks like "missing out" on AAU ball didn't exactly hurt Steph.

Greenburg offered Curry a walk-on spot to be nice to Dell. Curry was an average player coming out of high school not a superstar. He was an unranked 2/3-star player who had a good shot, but had a rail-thin frame at 6-2 (160 lbs. I believe), and had moderately decent ball-handling skills, but he wasn't a world-beater in any category. He wasn't shooting a super-high percentage from three and wasn't breaking ankles and nailing fade aways in peoples faces in high school either. This is why he only got offers from Davidson, VCU, VMI, High Point, Wofford, W&M, etc (all Carolina and Virgina schools). He spent the entire summer before his freshman year at Davidson working on his shot mechanics and release and ball-handling drills with his father. He was determined to be the best player he could be so that he could achieve his dream of following in his dads footsteps in the NBA. There's absolutely no way in hell any high-level program coach could have known he'd develop into the deadly scorer and ball-handler he eventually became based on his body of work during high school. Also, you could possibly say he's the player he is today BECAUSE all of those high-level programs passed on him. Maybe it encouraged him to work harder on his game, so berating a coach for passing on offering a scholarship to the kid would be like asking why Cal didn't offer a scholarship to Jared Polson instead of having him walk-on. If you're going to berate Greenburg, then you have to berate Coach K, Ol' Roy, and Sidney Lowe at NC State as well as Dave Leitao at UVa too for missing on this kid.

Last edited:
If you are going to make crap up at least make it believable. If you attended every single home game you were either stoned or drunk. WTF dude?

He are his freshman accomplishments: SoCon Frosh of Year, All tourney team, all freshman team and first team SoCon, led SoCon in scoring at 21.5 ppg and was second leading freshman scorer in country behind Durant.

Try again.

You just exposed that guy as a fraud.

There were rumors that Gaudio's dismissal at Wake Forest had nothing to do with win and losses. Don't know if there is any truth to it but he supposedly had the same type of issues Mark Gottfired had while coaching at Alabama.

You mean sleeping with staffers??? AD Ron Wellman at Wake Forest completely destroyed his basketball program. He threw 3 decades of tradition down the toilet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT