ADVERTISEMENT

Seth Greenburg/

• Thread starter anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y
  • Start date
A

anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y

Steph's father Dell is a Virginia Tech alum and still Seth Greenburg didn't offer Steph a scholarship. Said he could walk-on.. Today, Stephen Curry will be named NBA MVP for 2014-2015. Take everything Greenburg says with a grain of salt. There's a reason why he and others such as Dino Guadio and Dick Vitale are in the studio and announcing games. They sucked at coaching.

Every other high level Divsion I Head Coach that did not offer Steph should be fired immediately.

Steph's father Dell is a Virginia Tech alum and still Seth Greenburg didn't offer Steph a scholarship. Said he could walk-on.. Today, Stephen Curry will be named NBA MVP for 2014-2015. Take everything Greenburg says with a grain of salt. There's a reason why he and others such as Dino Guadio and Dick Vitale are in the studio and announcing games. They sucked at coaching.

To be fair, no other college coach in the country offered him a scholarship either.

Reactions: pisgah101
Easy to say when hindsight is 20/20.

The whole thing is an anomaly though. Seth Curry also didn't get many offers. He went to Liberty, despite his brother becoming a great college player. Duke finally wised up and got Seth to transfer, but still.

Greenberg does a fine job and I enjoy his commentary and analyst work. He is also one of UK and Cal's biggest supporters on a network that is filled with hidden and sometimes not hidden UK haters. No one offered Curry a scholarship...so I guess they should all be fired as well and working with Seth at ESPN.

I played against Steph Curry in high school when he was at Charlotte Christian and if you told me then he would become the MVP I would have laughed at you! Bottom line is, this kid blew up at a rate that was really incredible.

He is an absolute Anamoly as far as improvement is concerned, and that coupled with Golden State system, and the WORK that he has put in on his ball handling, are making him what he is today.

Armchair coaches also suck.

I played against Steph Curry in high school when he was at Charlotte Christian and if you told me then he would become the MVP I would have laughed at you! Bottom line is, this kid blew up at a rate that was really incredible.

He is an absolute Anamoly as far as improvement is concerned, and that coupled with Golden State system, and the WORK that he has put in on his ball handling, are making him what he is today.

Even when he was drafted, no one knew what his position would be. People thought he would be a huge risk at PG; and they were right. To that point, hed been a shooter only, without the ball. Now he has probably the best handles of anyone in the game, hes destroying everyone.

Kudos to this kid. Hes worked as hard and came as far as anyone I can remember.

How'd you do?

To be fair, no other college coach in the country offered him a scholarship either.

This. If you're gonna bash Greenburg for this, then you might as well bash EVERY other major conference coach in the country as well, because NONE of them offered either. It wasn't just Seth that underestimated Curry in high school, it was everyone. Hell, even his dad admits that he's completely shocked by all this.

Last edited:

Whoa whoa whoa on Gaudio. Gaudio was a good coach at Wake, he shouldn't have been fired in the first place. He had to keep together a Wake Forest program that just lost Skip Prosser out of nowhere. Gaudio got Wake into the tournament and compared to his successors has accomplished far more.

It seems Gaudio is enjoying doing the ESPN stuff. He's 58, so he's not exactly a young coach and his length of tenure is probably going to be limited to the first contract he signs because he would retire. Gaudio is one of the best analysts ESPN has to offer.

Dick Vitale is a clown show. He is a great fundraiser for charity, but overall he's BAD for the game. He hypes athletes in a fashion that sets them up for failure and encourages the wrong message about the college game. The college game is not about the personalities, it's about the way the teams play. ESPN did the smart thing by starting to de-emphasize his role.

I agree hindsight is 20/20 but some of you are missing a BIG part of the OP's point.

Curry is to Va Tech like Issel or Mashburn would be to UK. Greenberg passed on the son of one of the best players in school history. Obviously a lot of P5 coaches missed on him and likely for good reason. The real question that needs answered is how much better was the kid who got the final scholly at VT that year.

Nigel Munson PG 3* #109
Terrence Vinson PF
Lewis Witcher PF 4* #99

Those are the frosh for VT in 2006-2007.

Steph Curry was also a3* but not in rivals 150.

No doubt that was the biggest fail of Grennberg's recruiting career. But a lot of other teams failed there too.

If you look at their 2006 classes, both UNC and dook get a pass for passing on Curry. They both had great classes, and at the time a 5'11" skinny shooting guard made no sense. But the other instate and regional teams that passed on him like Wake, NC State, South Carolina, Clemson, UVA, and Va Tech really screwed the pooch. In fact I believe all the head coaches at those schools in 2006 are no longer with those programs.

I agree hindsight is 20/20 but some of you are missing a BIG part of the OP's point.

Curry is to Va Tech like Issel or Mashburn would be to UK. Greenberg passed on the son of one of the best players in school history. Obviously a lot of P5 coaches missed on him and likely for good reason. The real question that needs answered is how much better was the kid who got the final scholly at VT that year.
Thank you. I laid it out exactly why I think Greenburg missed out but once people get something ingrained into their minds, it's hard to see the forest for the trees.

The Timberwolves should really be the one's shamed. They have really screwed the pooch on drafting recently (the Anti-OKC if you will).

In 2009 they drafted Rubio and Johnny Flynn, both ahead of Steph Curry

In 2010 they drafted Wesley Johnson - Could have had Cousins, Greg Monroe, or Paul George.

In 2011 (not a great draft to begin with) - they drafted Derrick Williams and could have had Klay Thompson or Kawhi Leonard.

In 2013 they drafted Shabazz Muhammed ahead of the Greek Freak (Giannis Adeksomething)

Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but the Timberwolves could have a starting lineup with:
PG: Steph Curry
SG: Klay Thompson
SF: Greek Freak
PF: Kevin Love (assuming they didn't trade him)
C: Demarcus Cousins.

The Timberwolves should really be the one's shamed. They have really screwed the pooch on drafting recently (the Anti-OKC if you will).

In 2010 they drafted Wesley Johnson - Could have had Cousins, Greg Monroe, or Paul George.

In 2011 (not a great draft to begin with) - they drafted Derrick Williams and could have had Klay Thompson or Kawhi Leonard.

In 2013 they drafted Shabazz Muhammed ahead of the Greek Freak (Giannis Adeksomething)

Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but the Timberwolves could have a starting lineup with:
C: Demarcus Cousins

Definitely should have had Curry in 2009 but if they do draft him each year it's less likely they have a top draft pick, i.e. with Love and Curry on the team it's unlikely they do bad enough to get the #4 pick the next year and so on and so forth.

Why should that make much difference? If Issel or Mashburn's sons weren't considered UK caliber prospects then I wouldn't want them getting a UK offer either. And back then Curry was not regarded as an ACC caliber prospect. At that time, he was a skinny 5'11" unranked three star who was only drawing recruiting interest from little mid majors like Davidson. Greenberg does not have magical powers to see the future, there was no reason for him or anyone else to see this coming.

And, since you brought up the dad, I'll mention that I recently saw an interview with his parents where even they admitted they were stunned by Steph's transformation and never imagined this possible when he was in high school. If not even mama and daddy could see it then I ain't blaming Greenberg for missing it as well.

So if Jamal Mashburn has a son who is a 4* player and Joe Schmo is a fairly equivalent 4* player you wouldn't lean more toward giving Mash Jr the scholly?

I don't know if Greenberg really missed or not. He at least offered to let him walk on.

My point is that Curry was a 3* player so it's not like he was a complete unknown and it's not like VT was routinely getting 4 or 5* talent. They signed 2PF and 1PG that class. The PG they signed was also a 3*. Just making the point that passing on Curry wasn't as easy as some are making it out.

And I don't think anyone expects a 3* mid major to become what Steph Curry is. Hell, I don't think you can look at any player and say they will become that good. Doesn't mean he couldn't have reasonably been projected as a player for VT.

Of course it doesn't really matter but it makes for good off season banter. But it didn't take long for him to prove folks wrong since he led Southern Conference in scoring as a freshman.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Thank you. I laid it out exactly why I think Greenburg missed out but once people get something ingrained into their minds, it's hard to see the forest for the trees.

Maybe because what you're saying makes no sense. Just offer a kid a scholarship simply because he is the son of a former great player. As others have mentioned repeatedly, Curry was about 5'10 and maybe 150 pounds as high school. And he had a growth spurt to get to that. It's not like he was a huge prospect who Greenberg ignored. Was he supposed to see into the future and know that Curry would hit another growth spurt and become NBA MVP in 2015?

Definitely should have had Curry in 2009 but if they do draft him each year it's less likely they have a top draft pick, i.e. with Love and Curry on the team it's unlikely they do bad enough to get the #4 pick the next year and so on and so forth.
Sure it's all hypothetical. Although Steph was pretty frail and injury prone early in his career. It is still possible the T-Wolves could have picked up that entire lineup.

So if Jamal Mashburn has a son who is a 4* player and Joe Schmo is a fairly equivalent 4* player you wouldn't lean more toward giving Mash Jr the scholly?

That's not even remotely close to what I actually said, and it's not the situation that occurred here, so who cares. At that time Curry was NOT a 4*, instead he was a lowly unranked and undersized 3* that NO major conference coaches anywhere wanted, not just Greenberg.

Maybe because what you're saying makes no sense. Just offer a kid a scholarship simply because he is the son of a former great player. As others have mentioned repeatedly, Curry was about 5'10 and maybe 150 pounds as high school. And he had a growth spurt to get to that. It's not like he was a huge prospect who Greenberg ignored. Was he supposed to see into the future and know that Curry would hit another growth spurt and become NBA MVP in 2015?
No, what you're saying makes no sense. A keen eye for talent can see and project what a player can do down the line. He always has been a good shooter, even when he was 150 lbs. And, given his bloodlines (mother was a star volleyball player at VaTech and his father was a perennial sharpshooter in the NBA) Greenburg should have seen that and capitalized on that and offered him. Common sense.

Greenbergs best teams were NCAA bubble teams who usually got left out. He routinely recruited and offered 3-star recruits.

I just don't understand how he thought passing on the son of arguably the best VT player ever was a smart idea. But then again, he did spot and land a commitment from Montrezl Harrell (in the middle of the state of North Carolina) before any of the Tobacco Road schools knew what happened. Recruiting is crazy.

If they would have drafted the players they should have drafted in hindsight then they would have been bad enough to be in the position to draft all the players they should have drafted in hindsight

Please stop, every coach missed this guy...Seth is a friend of this program and speaks extremely highly of Cal...do you really want to call out one of the few national guys who defends us??

He didn't miss out. He offered him a spot as a walk on. Michael Jordan's son wasn't offered by UNC.

That's not even remotely close to what I actually said, and it's not the situation that occurred here, so who cares. At that time Curry was NOT a 4*, instead he was a lowly unranked and undersized 3* that NO major conference coaches anywhere wanted, not just Greenberg.

I never said he was a 4 star. Try to read all of it before you reply. I made a comparison between a fictitious son of Mashburn and a fictitious similar player both rated at 4*. Why? because you said it didn't matter if he was Mash's son you wouldn't take him if he wasn't a UK caliber player. Which is fine except it completely ignored the point I was making. Let me be real clear, if 2 recruits are very similar players at same position which is needed by said school and both players are of sufficient caliber for that school then I would err on side of the child of a former player.

Now read all my posts and please quote where I said Curry was a 4*. All you will find is that I said he was a 3* player just like the one they signed that year but that player they signed was in Rivals Top 150 and Curry wasn't. I also said Greenberg may not have missed because he did offer him a walk on spot but you choose to ignore that too.

My point is simply that he wasn't a complete unknown, he was a 3* recruit which I'm assuming would normally be in the recruiting parameters of Va Tech. Not sure why that is so hard to understand.

Please stop, every coach missed this guy...Seth is a friend of this program and speaks extremely highly of Cal...do you really want to call out one of the few national guys who defends us??
Like Seth Greenburg reads RR. C'mon man. :rolleyes:

If they would have drafted the players they should have drafted in hindsight then they would have been bad enough to be in the position to draft all the players they should have drafted in hindsight
I think that was covered in a previous post.... but I still disagree with that. Steph Curry probably takes them out of the running for Cousins at #4.... but they still would have been picking around #7 (Greg Monroe) or #10 (Paul George). In 2011 Steph was injured so it's not ridiculous to think that they could have been drafting around #11 (Klay Thompson). Even if the T-wolves had somehow lucked into a Steph/Klay/???/Love/Monroe lineup it's not to difficult to believe that they would miss the playoffs in a loaded Western Conference in 2013, thus putting them 14th in the draft (Greek Freak).

Again, this is hypothetical but interesting to look at nonetheless.

Whoa whoa whoa on Gaudio. Gaudio was a good coach at Wake, he shouldn't have been fired in the first place. He had to keep together a Wake Forest program that just lost Skip Prosser out of nowhere. Gaudio got Wake into the tournament and compared to his successors has accomplished far more.

It seems Gaudio is enjoying doing the ESPN stuff. He's 58, so he's not exactly a young coach and his length of tenure is probably going to be limited to the first contract he signs because he would retire. Gaudio is one of the best analysts ESPN has to offer.

Dick Vitale is a clown show. He is a great fundraiser for charity, but overall he's BAD for the game. He hypes athletes in a fashion that sets them up for failure and encourages the wrong message about the college game. The college game is not about the personalities, it's about the way the teams play. ESPN did the smart thing by starting to de-emphasize his role.

There were rumors that Gaudio's dismissal at Wake Forest had nothing to do with win and losses. Don't know if there is any truth to it but he supposedly had the same type of issues Mark Gottfired had while coaching at Alabama.

I know people have responded to this, but you can't cherry pick the most successful guys from a draft, like 2011, and say they could have had so-and-so. They had the 2nd pick in the draft in 2011, Thompson and Leonard where nowhere near guys that would get picked that high. At that high, you can maybe go a few picks back, but no one was taking Thompson or Leonard with a top 5 pick in that draft.

VT pretty much offered Curry a preferred walk on spot, and he declined. I'll give kudos to Greenberg for honoring the commitments of the players that committed before Curry, since the main reason he didn't end up at VT was because there weren't any available scholarships for his class after the 3 other recruits committed.

It's not like they weren't interested.

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
ADVERTISEMENT