ADVERTISEMENT

SEC tourney exposed this teams character

Bigblue2023

Junior
Jun 22, 2019
Championship teams simply don’t flame out in their conference tourney like that. Plenty have lost, but we didn’t have a heartbeat. The Vandy game was concerning, but they prevailed. So while worrisome, it was easy to overlook. Unfortunately it carried right into the UT game and got even worse. If you can’t get up for tourney games, there is something very wrong that is more than likely not fixable.

Championship teams simply don’t flame out in their conference tourney like that. Plenty have lost, but we didn’t have a heartbeat. The Vandy game was concerning, but they prevailed. So while worrisome, it was easy to overlook. Unfortunately it carried right into the UT game and got even worse. If you can’t get up for tourney games, there is something very wrong that is more than likely not fixable.
Any chance Sharpe getting all the perks and making bank through NIL but only having to practice is causing some issues?

Last edited:
I don't know about that.

This team was down double digits most of this game and fought till the very end.

I think that says a whole lot about this team's character.

We just didn't play well. Shit happens.
Yep, they had a 12 point lead with 2:35 to go in the game and we cut it to 3 with 1:31 to go. We cut that bad boy by 9 points in 1:04. Then Ty Ty plays great defense, forces a shot and we can’t grab the rebound. Would have given us a chance to get it to 1 or tie the game with under a minute to go.

They might have played terrible most of the game but they fought ahd got back into it.

But, you’ll go home in the NCAA Tournament trying to claw your way back like that.

Yep, they had a 12 point lead with 2:35 to go in the game and we cut it to 3 with 1:31 to go. We cut that bad boy by 9 points in 1:04. Then Ty Ty plays great defense, forces a shot and we can’t grab the rebound. Would have given us a chance to get it to 1 or tie the game with under a minute to go.

They might have played terrible most of the game but they fought ahd got back into it.

But, you’ll go home in the NCAA Tournament trying to claw your way back like that.

Yeah and I think back to games vs LSU and Bama where we were also down I'm pretty sure by double digits in the first halves only to come back win comfortably.

The one thing I don't think anyone can rail this team on is it's character and its fight.

Yep, that play on its own was when we could have really used Oscar. He would have gotten that board in all likelihood.

I liked the fight. Just cannot shoot like that in a tourney game. The good news is we haven't shot that poorly all season. Not once.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Kevin Grady being on a milk carton is why this team lost. He has to hit a few shots. If not he has to come out because of his liability on defense. without his 3 pt threat, team will pack the lane like usual. It truly is this simple

Or didn't win the SEC regular season?
Yep. All this “it doesn’t matter!”Stuff is fine until you realize that every one of our final four teams has either won the SEC regular season or at least made it to the SEC championship game of the tournament. When you realize that none of them accomplished neither, doesn’t inspire a ton of conference.

yep, but if we lose a game early in the tourney, you'll be the first to talk about how great next years team will be

same old same old - next year we'll be our year
And say “the tournament is just a crapshoot!”

the tournament is all that matters, until we lose in it too. Then it doesn’t mean anything either.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
March matters. And that’s why you see me being a rabid loon. A performance like last night is ok in Dec-Feb. crap happens. Not ok now. Not in a one and done tourney. This isn’t the NBA. There are no three shots at UT.

Every game is now an elimination game and potentially our last.

I mean what’s on earth is remotely ok with a sixth year SENIOR Grady not finding his shot right now?

Yep and another is that the three ball covers up bad coaching. This team is very average without our deep shooting.

There’s issues and I’m not sure it’s all fatigue from playing an arduous SEC schedule, but rather other things.

Any chance Sharpe getting all the perks and making bank through NIL but only having to practice is causing some issues?
Nah....we were assured on here by the usuals that that is not an issue

But it could very well be though.

I personally just think UT is just better than UK this year.

Reactions: ala_kat2
Yep and another is that the three ball covers up bad coaching. This team is very average without our deep shooting.

There’s issues and I’m not sure it’s all fatigue from playing an arduous SEC schedule, but rather other things.
How many teams can win against the #9 team in the country when they are 2-20 from 3, 34% for the game and their NPOY plays only 24 minutes? That is tough to do. Still, though, the loss hurts.

How many teams can win against the #9 team in the country when they are 2-20 from 3, 34% for the game and their NPOY plays only 24 minutes? That is tough to do.
Then be in the damn gym. I’m tired of our world class shooters disappearing in March. Booker, Jamal Murray, now Grady.
Grady’s disappearance is the most mind boggling of all.

How many teams can win against the #9 team in the country when they are 2-20 from 3, 34% for the game and their NPOY plays only 24 minutes? That is tough to do.
Welp, if it happens again we go home. So there’s that.

Reactions: Gromcat
I don't know about that.

This team was down double digits most of this game and fought till the very end.

I think that says a whole lot about this team's character.

We just didn't play well. Shit happens.
As always great post Answer. And lets give a great UT team a little credit, that defense was suffocating and they hit shots, we didn't.
When you have the #6 SOS and have a #3 D you are legit defensively, maybe the best.
Im proud if our guys for cutting the 14 point bulge down to 3 and if Grady hits the 3 with 30 tics left the lead is trimmed to 1.
Anyone that says this team didnt care yesterday wasnt watching the same game as I was.
Tennessee, with all their bigs and great guard play is a horrible matchup for us and most teams. After today they will be 12-1 their last 13 and a 2 seed at 6.
We are fine.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
Then be in the damn gym. I’m tired of our world class shooters disappearing in March. Booker, Jamal Murray, now Grady.
Grady’s disappearance is the most mind boggling of all.
You forgot Herro. Shooting under tremendous pressure, both defensive and mental, is very tough. Hopefully, the maturity of Grady and Mintz will help us in the tournament.

Welp, if it happens again we go home. So there’s that.
Yes, you are right. A Poor shooting night will be our downfall, especially because we do not have a rim-protector to help on defense. We simply need a run of 6 games where we can shoot reasonably well. Hopefully, it will happen for us.

As always great post Answer. And lets give a great UT team a little credit, that defense was suffocating and they hit shots, we didn't.
When you have the #6 SOS and have a #3 D you are legit defensively, maybe the best.
Im proud if our guys for cutting the 14 point bulge down to 3 and if Grady hits the 3 with 30 tics left the lead is trimmed to 1.
Anyone that says this team didnt care yesterday wasnt watching the same game as I was.
Tennessee, with all their bigs and great guard play is a horrible matchup for us and most teams. After today they will be 12-1 their last 13 and a 2 seed at 6.
We are fine.
I HOPE we are fine. I’m more worried about our putrid offense right now. Waaaay too much ISO yesterday and that’s proved by our god awful assist line.

2021 Baylor lost in their tournament semifinal.

2019 Virginia lost in their tournament semifinal.

2017 UNC lost in their tournament semifinal.

I don’t think this is the death blow you seem to think it is.
I was specifically asking about past Kentucky teams that he referenced, I know other teams have done it. Hopefully this Kentucky team bucks the trend. Going to have to

2021 Baylor lost in their tournament semifinal.

2019 Virginia lost in their tournament semifinal.

2017 UNC lost in their tournament semifinal.

I don’t think this is the death blow you seem to think it is.

Yeah I think it's likely the national champ this year didn't win their conference tournament.

We lost this game due to cold shooting which allowed TN to collapse on Oscar, plus Oscar's foul trouble. The character of this team is beyond reproach.

We are fine.
This is a good post. Tenn is a very good team and a bad match-up. They have height AND very quick guards, together with a tremendous defense. We can still beat them, but not with poor shooting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT