ADVERTISEMENT

SEC begins conference play

runt#69

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2010
Maricopa, AZ.
Some really interesting results with more to come. Some crazy games already, too. Sorry if this turns into a long post, just thought we could all focus a bit on the SEC here.

Leading off with Kentucky's big win at Florida, the Gators are a good team, they look like an NCAA tournament team to me. So it was a huge win for the young cats. Very happy for us all ! Something to celebrate.

What a wild game between Miss. St. at South Carolina, with the gamecocks winning a tightly contested game. Both of those teams, along with Florida, isn't getting much traction at all from national media, but all three teams look good, and should definitely be in the mix for an NCAA tournament bid by the end of the season, I'd say.

Auburn putting an absolute shellacking on Arkansas at Bud Walton arena is shocking. Did Arkansas simply give up in this one ? Looks like it to me, but I didn't see the game. Auburn really gave it to the Hogs hardcore. Either Arkansas isn't nowhere nearly as good as most thought (at least preseason, making for a disappointing season so far) or Auburn is really a lot better than anyone is giving them credit for. I am of the opinion that Auburn has the easiest conference schedule and has an inside track to the regular season title, at least to me, which shocks me to even be thinking this. They should be in the top 3 of the conference when it's all said and done, though. But that's all my thinking, and I've been wrong plenty of times.

Alabama is highly ranked in the NET. But they haven't really beaten anyone. I know the way the numbers work, and that they tend to work themselves out over time, but coming away with a win over Vandy, well.... It's a win. As for where they finish, we shall see.

Ole Miss is currently playing the Vols as I compose this post. They started off rough, but righted the ship and are playing competitively against Tennessee. Vols should win this one, but Ole Miss has been a pleasant surprise for the SEC. If they lose today, then Houston will be the last unbeaten team in the country.

Georgia dropping Missouri doesn't surprise me, Georgia is improved, and Missouri is playing Kentucky next. I don't know how many times I've seen an SEC team drop the game right before they play Kentucky. Many, many times it's happened before. but hey, nice road win for the Dogs. Shout out to all the Dawg fans that are out here regularly on our board !

Last game of the night belongs to Texas A&M vs LSU in Reed arena. A tough place for LSU to start conference play. A&M is good this year, too.

All in all, I think the SEC could / should get a minimum of 7 teams into the big dance by the end of the season. Maybe 8. I highly doubt 9 teams would make it, but the conference is really strong this year, once again. And, as far as I am concerned, that's GREAT for Kentucky. Why ? I have always thought that Kentucky does some of our best work when the conference is strong and the competition truly pushes them. It should be no exception this year, by the looks of things.

It's shaping up to be a fine year for the conference in hoops.

Your thoughts are always welcome, would love to hear what everyone thinks on where things will go, the big games to come, and how it'll shape up.

Go Big Blue !

Reactions: GermantownDawg
Man I hope Auburn doesn't win the SEC Regular Season. But you're right, their schedule is setup for success.

BUT, they probably lose @ Alabama, @Tennessee, and @ Florida, and hopefully lose at home to us.

@ Miss State, @Ole Miss, etc. could also be tough.

But they don't have to go to Rupp, and they don't have to go to Texas A&M, which is a big help.

We have to play @ pretty much every major team in the SEC this year, and we don't get home games against Auburn or Texas A&M, which is bullshit.

SEC not as good as many thought so far, but still pretty good. Looks like UK and UT, then Auburn, Florida, A&M, and Ole Miss so far. Those are the likely for sure tournament teams. May get 2 more, but will have to see who it is. I agree SC will probably be one.

Lot of wiggle room at the bottom of that list to shake out differently.

Think UK and UT will both be a top 3 seed when all is said and done. Anywhere between 1-3 wouldn’t surprise me for either. Might depend on who wins the conference.

Reactions: runt#69
In the second half, Vols have put some distance on the Rebels. Kinda' coming back to Earth, a little bit, it would seem. I agree, UK and UT look like solid (at worst) within the top 3 national seeds. Auburn to me is the wildcard. I don't know if they're as good as it would appear. But they look dangerous enough. How in the hell do they get such favorable schedules within the conference so often ? It seems that way to me.

For my money, UK was undervalued and underrated ... but that is changing. My predictions for the SEC :

UK co SEC regular season champs with the Vols
Third - Auburn
Fourth place, gonna go way out on a limb here for the hell of it : Gamecocks !
5 - Texas A&M
6 - Florida
7 - Ole Miss
8 - Miss. St.
9 - 'Bama
10 - Arkansas
11 - Georgia
12 - LSU
13 - Missouri
14 - Vandy

Of course, I'm a terrible picker', but hey, who knows. I do think the top of the league is Kentucky and UT. That much, seems to stay the same as my preseason thought.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT