ADVERTISEMENT

SEC more dominant in baseball than football.

Plus #18 Louisville, twice.
We are about to see if we are deserving of a top 10 ranking.

In football, there are only two or three teams that legitimately have a shot at a national title in any year. But in baseball, you’ve had four teams alone from the SEC make it to Omaha in one year. That’s being dominant. There is an argument to be made that baseball is the number #2 sport in the SEC.

Do only 4 teams make it each year?

To Omaha? No. 8 teams in a 64 team tournament make it. Basically, you have 16 hosts with 4 teams a piece. The 16 winners from those will play in 8 super regionals to make it to Omaha. I think the most SEC teams to make the tournament is 10. I may be wrong there but that sounds right.

So, half of baseball’s “Elite Eight” have been SEC teams?

Wow!!

UK looks like it might fit that mold this year.

Yes, that was the case last year. And, Ole Miss was the 9th place team in the SEC and barely got into the tournament at all and then went on to win the whole thing.

Reactions: The-Hack
Hey man that sucks I didn't know that

Kentucky was one game away in 1988. Actually should have came out of that bracket to make it to Omaha. They had won all three of their regional games and only needed to beat Stanford once. Was leading the first game into the 8th but lost. Unfortunately for UK, they ran out of arms in that last game. Stanford would go on and win the championship that year.

Last edited:
I hope this is the year we go to Omaha. We are the only SEC team never to play in the CWS.
Nebraska ain’t too bad a drive. We could fill the joint!!

I noticed a lot of our baseball recruits are from Big Ten and Big 12 country: but you have to be SEC to “get in the game,” so it’s like Football but even more so.

Reactions: RogerIndy
Yes, that was the case last year. And, Ole Miss was the 9th place team in the SEC and barely got into the tournament at all and then went on to win the whole thing.
Baseball is such a non-linear game. Swinging a round bat at a round ball does that for the sport.

In football, the biggest, fastest, strongest prevail, about always. But as an LSU baseball player showed 25 years ago, a guy who has never homered can put one over the fence in the 9th!!

Reactions: RogerIndy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT