ADVERTISEMENT

Scouting Wisconsin

While Wisconsin *may* be better than Notre Dame through the course of the season, there was no one playing better against elite competition than Notre Dame was.

UK has something to prove as much as Wisconsin does. I don't know if I've ever seen a more disrespected team who has gone this far and is 38-0. They played poorly against Notre Dame, and they know it. They know Wisconsin can beat them if they play like that again. Calipari is one of the best coaches in the business. This team has gone through enormous pressure the entire season and not folded ONCE. 38 games, 38 challenges, they've met them all.

This is just another test, and I expect them to pass it again. Wisconsin has 2, maybe 3 guys who can really beat you. We have 3 times as many. As an example, look at Marcus Lee. He's pretty much our 9th man and his heroics in the tournament last year propelled us to the championship game.

Originally posted by CatDaddy4daWin:
While Wisconsin *may* be better than Notre Dame through the course of the season, there was no one playing better against elite competition than Notre Dame was.

UK has something to prove as much as Wisconsin does. I don't know if I've ever seen a more disrespected team who has gone this far and is 38-0. They played poorly against Notre Dame, and they know it. They know Wisconsin can beat them if they play like that again. Calipari is one of the best coaches in the business. This team has gone through enormous pressure the entire season and not folded ONCE. 38 games, 38 challenges, they've met them all.

This is just another test, and I expect them to pass it again. Wisconsin has 2, maybe 3 guys who can really beat you. We have 3 times as many. As an example, look at Marcus Lee. He's pretty much our 9th man and his heroics in the tournament last year propelled us to the championship game.
And I'm not entirely convinced Wisconsin is better than Notre Dame. Duke went into Madison and beat the Badgers by 10 when Wisconsin was playing with a fully healthy team, which is important because Jackson had 25 points that game. Notre Dame beat Duke 2 out of 3 times.

Thanks as always to Il.

Also thanks to regent for his take and good sportsmanship. Good luck.

Regent mentioned "those jokers". Does anyone know who the refs are? Those jokers indeed. Just call it fair and consistent. Don't be animated. Don't honor the flops. FCC.

Originally posted by wildcatsboston1984:

Originally posted by CatDaddy4daWin:

And I'm not entirely convinced Wisconsin is better than Notre Dame. Duke went into Madison and beat the Badgers by 10 when Wisconsin was playing with a fully healthy team, which is important because Jackson had 25 points that game. Notre Dame beat Duke 2 out of 3 times.
Whisky was not fully healthy. Sam Dekker was playing on an injured foot. Maybe 80% GBB

Late in the string regent badger mentioned Frank K. Desire to make up for last year. You followed up that it could be a big factor, if he uses his emotions wisely.
I haven't kept up with him game by game, but he is a much improved player this year than last, according to his stats.
Your analysis is very very good, but I am not so sure we can expect to hold him to less than 20 points. He is very good, and determined when he wants to shoot.
That's ok as long as we make him work his tail off to get them., but he is sooooo important to the Badgers success.
I think he is the key., plain and simple.

They come in threes, or....maybe not.

Wisconsin beat AZ by only 7 points---and that's hitting 12-18 from the 3pt line. Had they shot "only" 50% from three, it puts them behind.

Over the course of the season, UW made 36.4% of their threes. 274 out of 752.
Over the past 10 games, excluding the AZ game and their 1 vs. 16 seed game, they hit on 39.5% of their three pointers. (From a low of 27% vs. Maryland and a high of 53%, 50% & 50% vs. MSU, Minn. and MSU respectively. (Both MSU and Minn have only 2 players at 6'8" and 6'9", none taller.)

Bottom line, it took them hitting more than 65% better than their late season games to beat Arizona. Not only did they get hot, they got sizzling hot. Will that carry over to Saturday night? Who knows.

But to beat UK, they are going to have to have another lights out shooting effort or UK is going to have play like total crap.

I like my team.

I can see us holding them to the mid-60's, but why can't we score in the mid-70's?

I see no reason why we can't, especially since we have a decided edge at guard. But all the "predictors" want to keep us in the 60's too. I don't think so.

Originally posted by MdWIldcat55:
Haven't seen this mentioned:

North Carolina looked like the better team against UW for most of their game -- quicker, more athletic, looked a bit bigger in the frontcourt (Meeks was dinged up, though he did play.) The Cheaters were up seven in the middle of the second half, and were still up a couple points, as I recall, in the 3-4 minute range.

Wisconsin played smarter down the stretch, hit a couple critical shots, made free throws, and forced UNC to take a couple ill-advised shots. Roy blew a chance to call a time out down a point or two, and it quickly went to 5 or 7 as I recall.

That's the key for Kentucky, in my opinion: Play mentally tough, hit free throws, don't relax on defense until the final horn. The Cats are like a 10 percent upgraded version of UNC in terms of size and athleticism. That should make it tough for UW. But the Badgers can't be allowed to steal it with a 13-4 run in the last three minutes, built on free throws, a clutch 3-pointer or two, and some bad possessions by the Cats, like a missed one-an-one by WCS and a turnover/bad shot sequence. The margin of error will not be vast.

If I have a nightmare scenario, it is a game that Kentucky has seemed to control, but UW has hung around with 3-pointers to stay within 5-8 points. Then in the last 8-9 minutes, all those metrics like foul differential, foul shot percentage, low turnover rate, FG percentage, kick in for UW and it ends up a two-possession game. I know Kentucky has prevailed in those scenarios this year but I do think Wisconsin is the most difficult to "close out a game on" team the Cats will have played.
Excellent observations MdWildcat. I think this is something our Badger friend was trying to point out in his post above. Wisconsin is great at finishing games. As you say, I think it is essential that we have a lead going into the final minutes of the game. I think we will have that lead. But it is equally essential that we make wise decisions down stretch. I saw that UNC game too, and thought the same thing you just said. I felt like UNC was the better team in terms of athleticism and talent (even with Meeks not healthy) but they took that lead of around 7-8 points and then Wisconsin really focused on their play while UNC took a bad shot, then another poor decision, then a turnover, and the next thing you know Wisconsin cut it to 2 or 3. I'm watching and saying, "Better call a timeout Roy!" I think he still had 3 or 4. But he didn't call it. Meanwhile, Wisconsin hits a three and then scores on 3 or 4 more possessions and take a lead. It literally happened in about 4 minutes if memory serves, between a couple tv timeouts. Once Wisconsin took the lead it was over.

But when we think about this Kentucky team, they also know how to close out games. They understand the metrics of it. They understand the need for efficiency. They're not going to just run down and jack up a shot at crunch time. That's one of the things I've loved about this UK team in particular. They can't play tight, but they must be mindful of making wise decisions, even if they have a bit of a lead. Wisconsin is very efficient down the stretch, especially.

Great analysis, but I disagree that the dome cools the shooting. Lucas oil isn't as bad as the carrier dome, LO's seats climb higher. I was there for the Michigan game last year and it felt more like Rupp than a dome. You don't see the dome edges from the court as badly as you do in the carrier (these are the two domes I've been in). I expect wisky to hit around 40% on threes through sheer will. The game will be determined by who wins the paint, kaminsky or KAT. If either gets in foul trouble, look out for their team. Put WCS on Dekker to take away a threat. Hope we defend the pick and roll better than we did against ND (their points in paint were outrageous and unacceptable). I'm calling a 5 point win, only due to desperation fouling/FTs.

As always, great write-ups. Your knowledge of the game blows me away.

I have come back to this thread a few times today to finish the whole thing. Do you ever touch on the coach for the other team? I may have missed it. But it's worth noting that Bo Ryan isn't exactly killing it in the tournament. He's had a few flame-outs in the last 10 years, and aside from a deep run last year, you could very well say that he hasn't been anything great in the "post-season".

I do wonder if his stubbornness holds him back, and I struggle trying to rank him in current coaches. Sometimes he's great, other times not so much. I think he's clearly the "odd man out" when grouped with Cal, K, and Izzo.

And while I may rather face MSU or Duke than Wiscy.. I would MUCH prefer to face Bo Ryan than the other two.

I have come back to this thread a few times today to finish the whole thing. Do you ever touch on the coach for the other team? I may have missed it. But it's worth noting that Bo Ryan isn't exactly killing it in the tournament. He's had a few flame-outs in the last 10 years, and aside from a deep run last year, you could very well say that he hasn't been anything great in the "post-season".

I do wonder if his stubbornness holds him back, and I struggle trying to rank him in current coaches. Sometimes he's great, other times not so much. I think he's clearly the "odd man out" when grouped with Cal, K, and Izzo.

And while I may rather face MSU or Duke than Wiscy.. I would MUCH prefer to face Bo Ryan than the other two.

I
have come back to this thread a few times today to finish the whole
thing. Do you ever touch on the coach for the other team? I may have
missed it. But it's worth noting that Bo Ryan isn't exactly killing it
in the tournament. He's had a few flame-outs in the last 10 years, and
aside from a deep run last year, you could very well say that he hasn't
been anything great in the "post-season".

I do wonder if his
stubbornness holds him back, and I struggle trying to rank him in
current coaches. Sometimes he's great, other times not so much. I think
he's clearly the "odd man out" when grouped with Cal, K, and Izzo.

If you take a look at the boxscore against Arizona and compare it to their season averages.

Team AVG vs Arizona Game
Points per game: 72.8 (vs AZ: 85)
Points allowed: 57.8 (vs AZ: 78)
Scoring margin: +15 (vs AZ: +7)
Field goal %: 48.2% (vs AZ: 55.6%)
FG% allowed: 42.6% (vs AZ: 55.8%)
3pt FG%: 36.4% (vs AZ: 66.7%)
3pt% defense: 37.4% (vs AZ: 33.3%)
Free throw %: 76.4 (vs AZ: 74.2%)
Rebounds: 33.4 (vs AZ: 18)
Opp Rebounds: 27.7 (vs AZ: 20)
Rebound margin: +5.7 (vs AZ: -2)
Assists: 12.65 (vs AZ: 11)
Turnovers: 7.4 (vs AZ: 8)
TOs forced: 9.65 (vs AZ: 10)
Steals per game: 4.5 (vs AZ: 5)
Blocks per game: 3.3 (vs AZ: 1)

Hey lineskicat, thanks for the compliment. I mentioned at the beginning about Bo Ryan's record against UK, which is 2-5. As for his record in the NCAAT, it's been very good the last 2 years, 8-1 so far. Hopefully 8-2 after Saturday. But I do know he's been to several sweet 16s bt I don't think he had never been to a final four before last year. This group of players has been very good to him. Before this group came along, his NCAAT record was just a few games over .500.

Originally posted by IL Wildcat:

Originally posted by MdWIldcat55:
Haven't seen this mentioned:

North Carolina looked like the better team against UW for most of their game -- quicker, more athletic, looked a bit bigger in the frontcourt (Meeks was dinged up, though he did play.) The Cheaters were up seven in the middle of the second half, and were still up a couple points, as I recall, in the 3-4 minute range.

Wisconsin played smarter down the stretch, hit a couple critical shots, made free throws, and forced UNC to take a couple ill-advised shots. Roy blew a chance to call a time out down a point or two, and it quickly went to 5 or 7 as I recall.

That's the key for Kentucky, in my opinion: Play mentally tough, hit free throws, don't relax on defense until the final horn. The Cats are like a 10 percent upgraded version of UNC in terms of size and athleticism. That should make it tough for UW. But the Badgers can't be allowed to steal it with a 13-4 run in the last three minutes, built on free throws, a clutch 3-pointer or two, and some bad possessions by the Cats, like a missed one-an-one by WCS and a turnover/bad shot sequence. The margin of error will not be vast.

If I have a nightmare scenario, it is a game that Kentucky has seemed to control, but UW has hung around with 3-pointers to stay within 5-8 points. Then in the last 8-9 minutes, all those metrics like foul differential, foul shot percentage, low turnover rate, FG percentage, kick in for UW and it ends up a two-possession game. I know Kentucky has prevailed in those scenarios this year but I do think Wisconsin is the most difficult to "close out a game on" team the Cats will have played.
Excellent observations MdWildcat. I think this is something our Badger friend was trying to point out in his post above. Wisconsin is great at finishing games. As you say, I think it is essential that we have a lead going into the final minutes of the game. I think we will have that lead. But it is equally essential that we make wise decisions down stretch. I saw that UNC game too, and thought the same thing you just said. I felt like UNC was the better team in terms of athleticism and talent (even with Meeks not healthy) but they took that lead of around 7-8 points and then Wisconsin really focused on their play while UNC took a bad shot, then another poor decision, then a turnover, and the next thing you know Wisconsin cut it to 2 or 3. I'm watching and saying, "Better call a timeout Roy!" I think he still had 3 or 4. But he didn't call it. Meanwhile, Wisconsin hits a three and then scores on 3 or 4 more possessions and take a lead. It literally happened in about 4 minutes if memory serves, between a couple tv timeouts. Once Wisconsin took the lead it was over.

But when we think about this Kentucky team, they also know how to close out games. They understand the metrics of it. They understand the need for efficiency. They're not going to just run down and jack up a shot at crunch time. That's one of the things I've loved about this UK team in particular. They can't play tight, but they must be mindful of making wise decisions, even if they have a bit of a lead. Wisconsin is very efficient down the stretch, especially.

Of course who knows for sure what will happen...but this whole season we haven't let the other team dominate the ending of a game. UW is not as thin as some teams, but they're still not as deep as we are (especially when it comes to quality and not quantity). If we play our game, our pace, we wear down UW which makes it that much harder for them to close it out their way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT