02/21/15 vs. Minnesota * W, 63-53
02/24/15 at Maryland * L, 59-53
03/01/15 vs. Michigan State * W, 68-61
03/05/15 at Minnesota * W, 76-63
03/08/15 at Ohio State * W, 72-48
Big Ten Tournament
03/13/15 vs. Michigan W, 71-60
03/14/15 vs. Purdue W, 71-51
03/15/15 vs. Michigan State W, 80-69 (OT)
NCAA Tournament
03/20/15 vs. Coastal Carolina W, 86-72
03/22/15 vs. Oregon W, 72-65
03/26/15 vs. North Carolina W, 79-72
03/28/15 vs. Arizona W, 85-78
04/04/15 vs. Kentucky 8:49 p.m. ET

Probable Starters
F #44 Frank Kaminsky 7-0 234 Sr. 18.7pts, 8.0reb, 2.7ast, 1.5blks, .415 3fg
F #15 Sam Dekker 6-9 220 Jr. 13.9pts, 5.5reb, 1.2ast, .338 3fg
F #10 Nigel Hayes 6-7 250 So. 12.4pts, 6.3reb, 2.1ast, .380 3fg
G #21 Josh Gasser 6-3 190 Sr. 6.9pts, 3.4reb, 1.8ast, .384 3fg
G #24 Bronson Koenig 6-3 190 So. 8.6pts, 1.7reb, 2.4ast, .411 3fg

Bench
G #12 Traevon Jackson 6-2 208 Sr. 8.6pts, 1.6reb, 2.6ast, .297 3fg
F #13 Duje Dukan 6-9 220 Sr. 4.8pts, 2.6reb, .318 3fg
G #3 Zak Showalter 6-2 192 So. 2.1pts, 1.3reb, .143 3fg
F #30 Vitto Brown 6-8 237 Fr. 1.9pts, 1.3reb no 3pt threat

Team Stats
Points per game: 72.8 (UK: 74.6)
Points allowed: 57.8 (UK: 53.9)
Scoring margin: +15 (UK: +20.7)
Field goal %: 48.2% (UK: 46.8%)
FG% allowed: 42.6% (UK: 35.2%)
3pt FG%: 36.4% (UK: 34.7%)
3pt% defense: 37.4% (UK: 26.7%)
Free throw %: 76.4 (UK: 72.5%)
Rebounds: 33.4 (UK: 38.4)
Opp Rebounds: 27.7 (UK: 31.1)
Rebound margin: +5.7 (UK: +7.3)
Assists: 12.65 (UK: 14.3)
Turnovers: 7.4 (UK: 10.6)
TOs forced: 9.65 (UK: 13.8)
A/TO Ratio: 1.7 (UK: 1.35)
Steals per game: 4.5 (UK: 6.5)
Blocks per game: 3.3 (UK: 6.9)

Important KenPom Stats for Wisconsin:
Overall Rating: #3
Offensive Efficiency: #1 (127.5)
Defensive Efficiency: #55 (96.4)
Best internal stats:
Turnover %: 12.3% (#1) (they don't turn it over)
2pt%: 55.2% (#7) (they shoot 2pt fgs very well)
FTA/FGA: 22.1% (#1) (they commit fewest fouls per opponent's fg attempt in the nation)
Defensive rebounding: 23.9% (#4) (they don't allow many offensive rebounds)
Worst internal stats:
Turnover %: 16.1% (#327) (They don't turn people over)
Steal %: 7.5% (#318) (They don't force steals)
3pt% defense: 37.4% (#301) (opponents have shot the 3 very well against them)
Block%: 8.5% (#223) (they don't block many shots)
Effective FG% defense: 47.5% (#99) (they allow teams to shoot well)

Common Opponents: Buffalo, UNC
Results: Wisconsin 68 Buffalo 56; Kentucky 71 Buffalo 52
Results: Wisconsin 79 UNC 72; Kentucky 84 UNC 70

Analysis: Well, Kentucky and Calipari have returned to the Final Four yet again. This now makes 4 Final Fours in 6 seasons for UK under Calipari, which is a ridiculous accomplishment in itself. And who do they have as their opponent? It's Wisconsin for the second straight year and they're looking for some pay-back, and have the confidence that they can get it done. I've noticed, however, that the Badgers are too savvy to run their mouths about it too much. That's smart on their part. They may have a slight edge in terms of psychology for this game, though I think the Cats have a bit of their own motivation, wanting to finish the job they started last season and wanting to prove these Coach of the Year voters wrong in their snubbing of Calipari. I expect both teams to come out wanting to throw haymakers but it will be the team that is able to sustain an elite level of play who will ultimately win.

The Badgers are coming off a great win over Arizona in which they were shooting at an absolutely blistering clip. They shot 55.6% from the floor, including 78.9% for the second half. They also shot 66.7% from 3pt range, including 10-12 in the second half for 83.3% while scoring 85 against a solid defense in Arizona. These stats become even more astounding when you consider the fact that Wisconsin normally shoots around 48% from the floor and 36% from 3. So, I guess the question becomes, "Can Wisconsin continue shooting and scoring at this kind of rate against UK?" I think the answer to that is an emphatic NO. The law of averages alone would tell us that teams can't sustain such a level of play in multiple games. The move to a dome won't likely help their shooting, but more importantly, Kentucky's #1 rated defense has been historic this season and simply won't allow the Badgers to come close to those numbers. My guess is, this game will be played in the 60s or low 70s, with defense ruling the day.

When we look at Wisconsin's personnel, it has to begin with their National Player of the Year candidate, Frank Kaminsky. Kaminsky is a 7-0 234lb senior who can do it all. He is excellent in the post, with multiple moves and excellent footwork. He can step back and hit the mid-range shot consistently. He has range out to the three-pt line as well where he shoots 41.5% from distance. He will likely get a touch every time down the floor. He leads the team in scoring, rebounding, assists, blocks, and 3pt shooting percentage. It's hard to find a category where he's not the leader. I don't think it's an overstatement to say that Wisconsin goes as Kaminsky goes. He sat out one game this year and Wisconsin lost to Rutgers. So, stopping Kaminsky is a major key to beating Wisconsin. Fortunately for UK, the Cats may be better equipped to stop Kaminsky than anyone in the country, considering the Cats have 5 guys who can guard him in Towns (who will likely start on him), Willie Cauley-Stein, Trey Lyles, Dakari Johnson (who guarded him admirably last year), and Marcus Lee from the bench. The second most important player is another forward, Sam Dekker, their 6-9 very mobile power forward. He's second in scoring, third in rebounding, and has an excellent all-around game. He has come on strong as this season has progressed and his play is the main reason, in my opinion, that Wisconsin made it back to the Final Four this season. He was out of his mind in the second half against Arizona, making threes with a hand in his face and finishing with a season and career high 27 points. It should be noted, Dekker's last 2 games have both been season highs in scoring, so he was definitely on a roll in L.A.'s Staple Center. Shooting in Lucas Oil may cool him off. Shooting against Willie and Trey (most likely Willie to start) may also be trouble.

The third forward is a guy who played a bit last season versus UK but was still pretty wet behind the ears, the 6-7 250 Nigel Hayes. He has been starting in the spot vacated by Ben Brust's graduation last year. Wisconsin now runs a more traditional line-up, with three forwards, whereas last season they went with the 3-guard look. Hayes has made the most of his opportunity this season and has become a legitimate threat offensively. He's 3rd on the team in scoring this season and 2nd in rebounding, and he has also proven himself able to step out to the three-pt line, shooting 38% from deep. Hayes is a strong guy, even if he's not tremendously tall. He's only 6-7 but he's 250lbs and is an excellent leaper, which makes him very tough inside. He will likely face Trey Lyles, who can match his quickness and strength and has an edge in height. The starting guards for Wisconsin are Josh Gasser and Bronson Koenig. These two guys are not very impressive looking, but don't let their appearance fool you. Both of these guys are tough and will fight for every inch on the floor. Josh Gasser is a senior this season and he has played well, especially in big spots. He seems to make plays when they're needed most. He doesn't score a huge amount. Actually, his scoring and shooting percentages are down from last year. I think it's likely because he's not sneaking up on anyone this season, having been de-emphasized on scouting reports before, I'm sure. Gasser can shoot the three at 38.4% and he will get on the floor and scrap for loose balls and grab rebounds as well. He's like their glue guy, in my opinion, not impressive statistically but critical to the team's success. The point guard for the latter part of this season has been Bronson Koenig. He has done very well with his opportunity while filling in Traevon Jackson, who is available for the game on Saturday but is still not quite back up to game speed while still recovering from a fractured right foot injury sustained back in early January. Koenig is now tied with Jackson for 4th on the team in scoring and is just hundredths of a percentage point behind Kaminsky in 3pt shooting. He's a better scorer than Gasser, though not as good a rebounder. He's 3rd on the team in assists behind Kaminsky and Jackson. So, when you look closely at this starting 5, one of the most impressive thing is they can ALL shoot the 3 and shoot it well.

Traevon Jackson is likely the most important bench player for Wisconsin in this game. They have the interior covered as well as they can with their starting forwards. They also have Duje Dukan and Vitto Brown coming off the bench to provide some depth at the forward spots as needed. But the biggest trouble, in my opinion, will be Wisconsin's ability (or inability) to keep Kentucky's guards out of the paint without fouling. Jackson is a guy with some quickness and strength. Trouble is, he's only played in 2 games since his injury, and those games were just this past weekend. I think he will be called upon to play more minutes in this game. He only played 9 minutes against UNC and 7 against Arizona. Will he be ready for big minutes in this game? I have some doubts about that. If he is given a more prominent role, will his re-insertion in the line-up be a problem for Wisconsin's chemistry? Also coming from the bench will be Duje Dukan. He has been a solid contributor to Wisconsin all season. He's their top sub according to minutes played as well as production. Dukan is a 6-9 220 senior who has developed into a pretty strong guy over 4 years. He's not going to beat you scoring but he does provide some minutes for any of the forwards who may need a breather. Zak Showalter is a new guy this season coming off the bench for Wisconsin. He's a 6-2 guard who can't shoot very well but comes into the game for ball handling and defense at the shooting guard position. He doesn't play many minutes (only 7.7 per game) but we will likely see him at some point, especially if Wisconsin has the trouble I expect in keeping UK's guards out of the lane with their man to man defense. The final bench player who sees the floor is Vitto Brown. He's a 6-8 237 freshman who has been improving this season but still isn't contributing much. He only plays 6.5 minutes per game. He scores 2 points a game and grabs a rebound or two. He can't shoot the 3. If we see much of Brown, it likely either means Wisconsin is having major foul trouble or the game has gotten out of hand. I doubt either happens, so I also doubt we see much of Brown.

It's difficult to make many significant comparisons to last year's game for multiple reasons. However, we can make a few observations that are relevant. One of those is that Kentucky did an excellent job defending Frank Kaminsky last year. Without Willie Cauley-Stein on the floor, the Cats still basically shut him down. He only finished with 8 points and 5 rebounds in the game. One could legitimately argue that UK is better suited to defend him this season than last. Dakari Johnson spent quite a bit of time on him last year and he's not nearly as mobile as Willie, Karl, or Trey. The guys who nearly killed UK last season were Dekker, Brust, and Jackson. Those three combined for 42 of Wisconsin's 73 points and 5 of their 8 threes. I think Dekker is even more important this season to Wisconsin. For this reason, I fully expect Willie Cauley-Stein to get the assignment of defending him. Regarding the other 2 guys, Brust is gone and Jackson is not fully healthy yet. I am confident that if UK can limit Kaminsky and Dekker, this game becomes academic. That may well be easier said than done, but I think the Cats have the personnel to do it better than anyone else in the nation.

A big question up for debate is this: which of these teams has improved the most? It's not a simple question, in my opinion, even if I think the answer is clearly Kentucky. According to offensive efficiency, Wisconsin has improved by leaps and bounds. They were good last season, mind you, #4 in the nation offensively, but they are ridiculously efficient this season. That is their biggest weapon. They went from an offensive rating of 120.8 to a rating of 127.5, which means they are very efficient. They won't force things. They won't take bad shots. They will take as long as needed to get a good look. But on the other end, Wisconsin is only #55 in defensive efficiency, which is down from last year's #49. They've basically been outscoring teams this season. One could argue that they haven't HAD to play the same kind of defense as last season because their offense is so much better. They might say they can turn on the D if needed. (Arizona's 78 points begs to differ) Kentucky has improved both offensively and defensively over last year. Last year, UK was #10 in offensive efficiency with a 117.6 rating. That has jumped to #5 overall with a 119.4 rating. But the biggest jump has been in defensive efficiency. Last season, the Cats were #41 in defensive efficiency with a rating of 96.9. This season, UK has been #1 most of the year and has a rating of 85.6. (the lower the number, the better) That jump in defensive efficiency is HUGE. Kentucky is the only remaining team with a top 10 rating in both offensive and defensive efficiency. So, we're talking about the BEST offense versus the BEST defense. Who wins that battle? Having said that, it may come down to the other end of the floor. I expect UK to slow down Wisconsin's offense. They won't stop them, but they will be a major cramp to their style. On the other hand, however, UK's offense is #5 and Wisconsin's defense is #55. That may be the end of the floor where UK really causes the Badgers the most problems.

When you look at the personnel changes, I give UK the edge again. Wisconsin lost Ben Brust. Traevon Jackson is not fully healthy. They didn't really add anyone significant. Sam Dekker has vastly improved and will be a key to stop for UK. Nigel Hayes was barely a blip on the radar last season and he has a full year starting under his belt. Bronson Koenig has vastly improved as well, especially since he's been starting for the injured Jackson. Frank Kaminsky didn't have a huge amount of room for improvement, but there has been some. Josh Gasser's numbers are actually worse this season compared to last. Duje Dukan has significantly improved over last season. His scoring and rebounding have both improved. Zak Showalter but contribute last year but he's not much of a threat. Basically, the improvements Wisconsin has made are in individual player improvements. Still, I don't think there is any question they're much better than last season, even if the personnel is the same.

Looking at UK, the Cats lost Julius Randle, James Young, and Alex Poythress is out for the season. UK's all-freshman backcourt last year has another full year under their belt- Andrew Harrison and Aaron Harrison have improved, even though their stats don't tell the story. Andrew has a better a/to ratio and Aaron, while not shooting as much, still has shown a propensity for hitting big shots. Dakari Johnson has improved as well. He's lost weight. He's quicker, he's more mobile, he runs the floor better. Marcus Lee is better than last season, though his minutes have changed little. His scoring is up, his rebounds are up, his shooting is better. If player improvement were the only way UK had improved, I'd give the edge to Wisconsin, but that's far from all. The greatest way UK is better is in the players who will be available now who weren't last season. UK didn't have Willie Cauley-Stein in that game last year due to injury. His defense would have made a difference then and will be huge now. UK now has Karl Towns, who is a much better back to the basket scorer than Randle, a better shot blocker, and a much better interior and outlet passer. UK now has Trey Lyles in the line-up, a 6-10 guy at the 3 who can defend anyone for Wisconsin. UK now has Devin Booker coming in from the bench, a guy who shoots better than James Young by percentage and makes fewer mistakes as well. UK now has Tyler Ulis coming in, who can get under their guards and wreak havoc and can also drive by their guards and cause trouble on the other end. He can also shoot the ball well from 3 and mid-range. And UK's overall depth is much better this season. UK's key subs last year were Poythress, Lee, Hawkins, and Polson. This year the Cats bring in Johnson (who started before), Booker, Ulis, Lee, and still has Hawkins waiting in the wings if needed. This season's depth is significantly better.

What should we expect? Wisconsin is going to play man to man. It's hard to believe, especially when we all watched Karl Towns demolish Notre Dame in the paint, but that's what it will be. I think for Wisconsin to switch to zone would be like admitting defeat, and Bo Ryan is a very stubborn man who may get beat, but won't flinch. That may beat him in this one. The trouble is, Wisconsin can't defend Towns one on one. Kaminsky is NOT going to foul Towns. He just won't. He's too important to their team and he knows it. Dekker lacks the height or strength. Hayes is strong enough but not long enough. If I'm Calipari, I'm feeding the post until they stop Towns. They may be forced to double-team Towns, which means he will need to find the open man. On the other end of the floor, Wisconsin spreads the floor and tries to draw the opponent's big men away from the basket. They will screen and roll. They will back-cut. They will let different players, primarily Kaminsky and Dekker, try to take their man off the dribble with the help of a screen. They will run a lot of pick and roll with those 2 and if we are switching on the screen they will run it against whoever they feel can't guard those guys off the dribble or stop them in the paint. UK's size helps tremendously in this game. Our starting 5 can switch 1-5 on defense without giving up much. Even Kaminsky on one of the Harrisons isn't a huge match-up problem unless the screen is set in the paint, which is rare. The Harrisons can defend Dekker, Hayes, or either guard as well. Lyles, WCS, and Towns can do the same.

Another thing about this game that makes me optimistic is the fact that Wisconsin doesn't have any of those lightning quick guards who can get into the lane at will. Those teams are the ones that seem to cause this particular UK team trouble because of difficulty guarding them off the dribble with our man to man. But this team is filled with guys who are big and strong, but not extremely quick. Big and strong we can handle, in my opinion. Now Wisconsin is extremely efficient offensively, just like Notre Dame, but Notre Dame's 4 guard line-up made life difficult on defense for the Cats. Wisconsin has one more shooter on the floor, though, so attention to detail will be crucial for the Cats. No leaving the corners boys!

Though I think UK has an edge in several ways in this game, I still fully expect this one to go down to the wire. I think the Cats will have a lead down the stretch, but Wisconsin's scoring ability will likely keep them within striking distance the whole way. I think Wisconsin is going to come out of the gate very strong with payback fueling their fire. Last season, Wisconsin took an early lead by as much as 8 and held it the entire first half. The second half went the opposite way, with Kentucky taking the lead and building it to about 8 before the Badgers made a run. Neither team led by more than 8 the entire game. I think Wisconsin will start fast. I fully expect them to take some early threes, trying to build a margin and letting the revenge factor drive them on. If UK can withstand the initial push of Wisconsin and keep it close, I think UK's superior depth and talent will be the key. I also think, as I said above, that Wisconsin's 2 biggest problems will be defending Karl Towns and stopping UK's dribble penetration. Kentucky's biggest problem will be in keeping Wisconsin's Kaminsky and Dekker from really getting going. We need those 2 guys in the teens, not the twenties. I expect a war here but I think the Cats will be able to have a little bit more breathing room than against Notre Dame, but it will still be too close. Vegas' line opened at UK-6. KenPom has the final Kentucky 65 Wisconsin 62. I also expect a close game, but I think the Cats take it in the end. Kentucky 68 Wisconsin 63

Scouting Wisconsin on BigBlueTheory

Great stuff as always IL.

I believe it will be a bit higher scoring game than you, but I think UK by 5 points sounds about right.

Of course, I'd be thrilled with a one point buzzer beater as long as the right team wins.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Thanks and great stuff as always Il Wildcat.

Do you think we'll see much of Ulis in this game? I don't think Wisconsin has anyone that can guard him and he can distribute to the paint at will.

Awesome analysis. I can't even think of anything I would add to it. Covered all the bases. Agree 100%. Thank you for the time and effort you put into all of these. Best wishes, brother !

Originally posted by FlCATFan:

Do you think we'll see much of Ulis in this game? I don't think Wisconsin has anyone that can guard him and he can distribute to the paint at will.
Hey FICATFan. I do think we'll see Ulis quite a bit, and I agree that Wisconsin will struggle guarding him and keeping him out of the lane. He could be an x-factor in this one because I don't think Wisconsin will pay much attention to him in their gameplanning. He's a dangerous player because he's so efficient in running the offense.

I sure hope your right. To be this close to the title with this team and not get to at least Monday nights game would be a major disappointment. I expect this game to be closer then Mondays though if we get to play duke.

Thanks for the report great as always. I agree with everything you said but I was wonder if Cal would not put Willie on Kaminsky while we are playing defense ? Would that make sense ?

One thing I would like to say is the showalter kid has made some huge plays in the tourney so I hope he doesn't do anything crazy to us

Worried a bit about who's going to guard Dekker. 6'9, can get to the rim, can shoot from 3. I don't think any of our bigs - possibly excepting Willie - can stay in front of him or stay out of foul trouble. And none of our perimeter guys are tall enough.

Second worry is that Kaminsky flops and KATA gets in early foul trouble and never gets untracked.....

Originally posted by westerncat:
Thanks for the report great as always. I agree with everything you said but I was wonder if Cal would not put Willie on Kaminsky while we are playing defense ? Would that make sense ?
Hey westerncat, I'm sure Willie will spend some time guarding Kaminsky, but I'm expecting Towns to start on him because Dekker seems like a tougher match-up for Towns, and there is no question that Cauley-Stein can defend Dekker. I could be wrong, but that's what I expect to start the game. That could easily change if one of their 3 forwards starts scoring. I expect to see Willie guard the guy who is playing best.

Thanks IL Wildcat. I think our defense will rise to the occasion; and our offense will be hard to defend. Go Cats!!

I agree with everything you said, except I think the Cats will be the team to start fast. I think that we will be very aggressive and our athleticism will be a little overwhelming at the start.

Get the refs to call palming (double dribble) on Dekker because he carries is every single time (and I know other players do something similar but he does it extremely bad and is never called for it).

I'd like to see us push the pace actually. I thought we fed right into ND's game plan by allowing them to dictate pace. Not until the end did we finally start pressing and catch up. I see us as a team that is so more athletic than them that our defense ultimately can hold if we press, and it gives us more scoring opportunities as well. I really like us against them in the full court if we'll really try to make that happen.

As always, I enjoyed your write-up IL Wildcat!

I really enjoy reading these scouting reports from IL Wildcat. They are thorough, fact filled, and usually spot on.

Originally posted by IL Wildcat:

Hey FICATFan. I do think we'll see Ulis quite a bit, and I agree that Wisconsin will struggle guarding him and keeping him out of the lane. He could be an x-factor in this one because I don't think Wisconsin will pay much attention to him in their gameplanning. He's a dangerous player because he's so efficient in running the offense.
We have 9 guys who would all be starters for Wisconsin that play 50/50 in minutes, each of whom have had some big games this year for UK. They can't possibly prepare for all of them, whereas all we have to really do is prepare for two of theirs - Kaminsky and Dekker (with a close watch on Hayes and Keonig). Of these 9 guys, all of them play some pretty solid defense, and since Cal is a man-to-man guy, I don't think it will be hard for each of our guys to keep theirs in check.

I want badly for this to be the game where they all CLICK - on D and O.

I could see the Cats controlling the game from tip to finish. But game will be very close throughout and then believe our guys just turn it up with 6 minutes left and take complete control. Cats will just need to make their FT's in the final minutes.

It is shocking how much they rely on 2 guys. If we're able to contain one of them we should have this game. Get Kaminsky in foul trouble and this game could be over early.

Am also hopeful that the dome affects their shooting a little bit. Every little bit will count as this is the 2nd best team we'll face all year(ND #1 IMO).

Originally posted by CatDaddy4daWin:
I could see the Cats controlling the game from tip to finish. But game will be very close throughout and then believe our guys just turn it up with 6 minutes left and take complete control. Cats will just need to make their FT's in the final minutes.

It is shocking how much they rely on 2 guys. If we're able to contain one of them we should have this game. Get Kaminsky in foul trouble and this game could be over early.

Am also hopeful that the dome affects their shooting a little bit. Every little bit will count as this is the 2nd best team we'll face all year(ND #1 IMO).
To be honest, I'd love to see Dekker in foul trouble first. Kaminsky I really don't think will get much except ridiculous free throws because I'm certain Towns will be called for being too close in proximity.

Unfortunately, though, Dekker is nearly immune from even fouling. He's had multiple zero-foul games this year, has had no 3-foul games, and amazingly only averages 1.1 personal fouls per game (he has only 40 fouls TOTAL all year!).

Kaminsky, on the other hand, had 4 fouls against AZ (should have been 5 and a technical called for that absurd flop, but I digress), fouled out on 3/8 against Ohio St., and has had 4 fouls a couple of other times.

The problem with these stats, however, is that they played NO ONE with a solid offense or an elite big man all year - the Big 10 has nothing, and their OOC schedule was pretty weak (best team they played was Duke, which was a 10-pt loss), so they really haven't HAD to play much post defense to draw fouls. The game where they finally played a REAL defense? Arizona - and they had more fouls in that game than in any other all year long (Dekker still only had 1 foul, so I'm assuming his man just scores at will no matter who they play). Hayes, Kaminsky and Koenig each had 4, so it is possible to get them to rack 'em up if we drive and play physical.

Andrew, however, needs to make sure not to charge - these goons will be doing that crap all game long, guaranteed.

Originally posted by TheDude73:

Originally posted by IL Wildcat:

We have 9 guys who would all be starters for Wisconsin that play 50/50 in minutes, each of whom have had some big games this year for UK. They can't possibly prepare for all of them, whereas all we have to really do is prepare for two of theirs - Kaminsky and Dekker (with a close watch on Hayes and Keonig). Of these 9 guys, all of them play some pretty solid defense, and since Cal is a man-to-man guy, I don't think it will be hard for each of our guys to keep theirs in check.

I want badly for this to be the game where they all CLICK - on D and O.
You think Dakari Johnson and Marcus Lee would start over any of the Wisconsin bigs, all of whom are projected to be first round picks either this year or next? You're high.

It's one thing to like your team. You should. They're great. But you don't have to so severely underrate Frank Kaminsky in the process. The numbers don't lie, and Ken Pomeroy will tell you he's the best player in the country.

Bronson Koenig is a significantly better shooter than Andrew Harrison from 3, from 2, and from the free throw line. His offensive rating is 74th in the country. This is mostly because his turnover rate is just north of 12%, which is astounding for a point guard. Andrew Harrison's is almost 19%. Harrison is arguably a better defender, but not by enough to make up for the difference in offense.

Koenig is also thought to have an NBA future when his four years at UW are up (or 3, we'll see). He was offered out of high school by both Kansas and UNC, so he has the kind of pedigree you'd look for in an NBA point guard. Frankly I think you'd have to be extraordinarily biased to take Andrew Harrison over Bronson Koenig.

To be honest, I'd love to see Dekker in foul trouble first. Kaminsky I really don't think will get much except ridiculous free throws because I'm certain Towns will be called for being too close in proximity.

Unfortunately, though, Dekker is nearly immune from even fouling. He's had multiple zero-foul games this year, has had no 3-foul games, and amazingly only averages 1.1 personal fouls per game (he has only 40 fouls TOTAL all year!).

Kaminsky, on the other hand, had 4 fouls against AZ (should have been 5 and a technical called for that absurd flop, but I digress), fouled out on 3/8 against Ohio St., and has had 4 fouls a couple of other times.

The problem with these stats, however, is that they played NO ONE with a solid offense or an elite big man all year - the Big 10 has nothing, and their OOC schedule was pretty weak (best team they played was Duke, which was a 10-pt loss), so they really haven't HAD to play much post defense to draw fouls. The game where they finally played a REAL defense? Arizona - and they had more fouls in that game than in any other all year long (Dekker still only had 1 foul, so I'm assuming his man just scores at will no matter who they play). Hayes, Kaminsky and Koenig each had 4, so it is possible to get them to rack 'em up if we drive and play physical.

Andrew, however, needs to make sure not to charge - these goons will be doing that crap all game long, guaranteed.
Which part of your body do you pull this stuff from?

Frank Kaminsky had 2 fouls against Ohio State on March 8th. He's had 4 fouls exactly once this year (Arizona). In fact, he's only had 7 games with 3 or more fouls.

Why lie?

The big X factor to me is not really Wisconsin, yes they are really good and easily capable of knocking us off but ...but if we come out on a mission like we did against Ark, WV etc their isn't any team going to stay with us.
If we are timid playing and play with the jitters like what we did with ND it is going to be anybodies game just like it was with our last opponent. The FF does strange things to people and it makes you shoot terribly and do odd things that you normally don't see them doing.
Hopefully we will not have the jitters and are capable of knocking down some shots. More typically than not usually huge are as are not good for outside shooters as we saw in our losses in '11 and last season. But last season I think it was jitters more than anything like the '09 team who started off 0-21 from 3.

Originally posted by TigerPawsSC:

Which part of your body do you pull this stuff from?

Frank Kaminsky had 2 fouls against Ohio State on March 8th. He's had 4 fouls exactly once this year (Arizona). In fact, he's only had 7 games with 3 or more fouls.

Why lie?
It was a mistake - looked at the wrong column when checking the stats.

Why come in here and defend this cornball Wisconsin team? What's your purpose anyway?

He doesn't have fouls because he hasn't played ANYONE of size in the post. Even then, he's pathetic on defense. And I will wager that he'll disappear in the NBA. He's a flopping goofball that has had the benefit of playing in a horribly-weak Big 10.

Kaminsky will be schooled on Saturday. Mark that in stone, Troll.

TigerPaws usually has good info, but he is such an a-hole about it that he is pretty much unbearable to read.

Makes me glad Rivals activated their ignore feature. I don't use it often, but I am very tempted in his case.

It's a shame, because if he didn't post like such a d-bag, he would most likely be a nice addition to the board.

Tiger stop acting like your objective. You are a badger fan and post on every Wisconsin thread defending them. Is coming over here some sort of therapy for you. The Cats could lose but I like are chances. How did those match ups work out for you last year. It's ok to be afraid. If I was a UW fan then I would be too. This is your one good shot at a title and if you don't get it this year then you will have to wait another 4-5 years for another chance. Does it upset you that UK just reloads and will be back again in 2016. Do us a favor and go back to the UW board. I am sure they will appreciate your insight on matchups.

There is NO WAY IN HELL I'd take Bronson over Andrew today or ever. That kid will shoot Wisky right out of a game. He's horrible because he thinks he's Michael Jordan. Sometimes he is hitting but too many times he forces up bad shots. He will be UK's best weapon, he sucks.

Lol at Bronson playing in the NBA. Some dumbass GM may draft him but no way he ever plays significant mins!

Originally posted by deplion:
TigerPaws usually has good info, but he is such an a-hole about it that he is pretty much unbearable to read.

Makes me glad Rivals activated their ignore feature. I don't use it often, but I am very tempted in his case.

It's a shame, because if he didn't post like such a d-bag, he would most likely be a nice addition to the board.
I agree. I was going to let it go, but the fact that he called me a liar even though it was a simple mistake, and it didn't really matter, I gave Kaminsky credit for not fouling much (although I did say it's likely because he plays no defense or hasn't had any real post challenges in the Big 10). 3 fouls, 4 fouls, who cares. He rarely fouls, and I said that.

People need to find better ways to deliver their argument, especially if they're of an opposing fan base. He's lucky we don't have trigger happy moderators - if this were a Duke, UL or other b-ball board and he constantly countered every fan with that approach, he'd be gone after 2 posts.

Originally posted by MdWIldcat55:
This is just a little endorsement -- you can take IlWildcat's PREDICTIONS to the $1,000 window in Vegas and sleep like a baby.

He has been right 100 percent of the time this year -- I have read every single one of his analyses and he has picked the winner in every Kentucky game from November until now. (Not vouching for the point spreads, just the winners.)
Haha! You're right MdWildcat55, I've picked UK in all 38 games so far, and I've nailed it! And I appreciate you not talking about point spreads. Ugh! I miss those often. And just for the record, I hope I've missed this point spread too and UK wins by 20 and gives my blood pressure and heart a rest.
laugh.r191677.gif

The OP's take is very solid overall and it is hard to find anything really to disagree with. My only nitpick would be concerning Gasser, A.K.A. Captain America. I don't think his reduction in scoring or shooting is a factor of other teams figuring him out so much as it is that he recognizes his role as the 5 offensive option and plays accordingly. A post touch for Frank or Nigel is almost always going to be a higher percentage look than a jump shot from Gasser, so if he gets the ball and isn't wide open he tries to keep it moving instead of forcing one up. Last year we were not nearly as good of an outside shooting team (Hayes took 0 on the year, Dekker shot 30% and Jackson was nowhere near as good of a shooter as Koenig is) so when we needed a three the second person we looked for after Brust was Gasser, which is no longer the case. Teams are definitely not making him a point of emphasis or anything like that, he always gets at least one uncontested layup a game out of the half court set because teams don't expect him to take in hard.

My only other take away would be that I think you are underselling Frank and the impact of emotion, pressure and intangibles just a bit in this matchup. Frank played a really bad game last year. Obviously, most of that had to do with the competition but some of it was Frank playing sub par. I think that is why this game has stuck with him and been such a driving force. Frank knows that if he had played anywhere near his capability we win that game and most likely beat UCONN for the title (though that is far from assured, I'm just saying when Frank looks at it I'm sure he liked our match ups in that one). He is so much improved from the player he was last year, I think UK fans are going to be shocked at the Frank that shows up.

The other factor is experience. I know UK was here last year but very few of the guys that you are counting on have played in a Final Four before. 4 if Lee and Johnson see significant time. I understand that this team is cut from a different cloth and should adapt better than most, but at the end of the day it is still a bunch of teenagers facing the brightest lights that the have ever seen. It is impossible to know for sure how they will react when the clock is ticking down and the weight of the world's expectations are pressing on them. Because lets be honest, everyone in the world outside of the state of Wisconsin is expecting to see a WVU type beatdown. Analysts may talk a bit about how UW is well positioned as anyone to take you guys down but no one really thinks it is going to happen. The guys picking us are qualifying it with "well I think it is nearly impossible to go undefeated and UW is as good a choice as any." From reading the various boards it is painfully obvious that very very few in BBN expect much of a test. Most here are wondering if you will beat us by more or less than 10, the thought of a badger victory has been met (mostly) with derision. I'm not even mad at it, you go undefeated you deserve to be a bit presumptuous and dismissive.

That is all well and good for the fan bases, but the effect on the players on the court could be quite different. The bottom line is that all of the pressure is on UK. Many of you have seen the badgers this week, they are as loose as you can get. Every single player that will step on the court for us has played in the Final Four as a huge underdog before (I don't remember the actual spread from last year but any time UW faces UK we are the big underdog simply because of who the Cats are). The same is not the case for UK. Will that be good for a few points for UW on Sat? Who knows but it would not shock me at all if the Cats are a bit tight to start the game.

UW isn't going away. As you should remember from last year there was a stretch where the Cats got out on us and started to run and throw it up to each other as your lead ballooned to over 10 and the game seemed over. How could the guys at UW compete with such athleticism and talent? 5 minutes later UW was up by 5. MSU, UNC and Zona all thought they had us dead in the water, yet we stayed calm, ran our stuff just like we always do and in a matter of minutes a sure loss had turned into a rather comfortable victory (MSU was up 11 with 7 mins to play, final: UW 80-69, UNC was up 7 with less than 10 to play and had been the better team all game to that point, final: UW 79-72, Zona was up 3 at the half as UW had a terrible shooting half hitting only around 35% of their shots. UW ended that game shooting 56 % and 66% from 3, final: UW 85-78).

It seems like many on here are expecting a letdown in intensity from the ND game, either because you think that was the toughest game that UK has faced all year and the Cats won't play that badly again or that UW can't possibly play as well as they have been again. I think this is a bit of a trap. UW is a better team than ND. While we may not have the same quality of guards, we are much better at moving the ball until we find the mismatch or open guy, utilizing pump and ball fakes against aggressive D's, and are much better on the glass. While these traits may play into the Cats strengths a little better than quick guards, we do them all much better than any team UK has faced this season. If KAT or WCS go for the highlight blocks again this game they will both be in foul trouble very quickly and our shooters are going to put pressure on your rotations. UK is obviously able to lock in and shut us down but if they play without discipline UW will take advantage.

For as tough as Uk has been, you have not played many good offensive teams. We all saw the ND game. UNC (at home) is the next best at #10. They shot 45% from 2, 46% from 3 and had 18 TO's on their way to 70 points. Their style also plays right into UK's strengths though they had a decent shooting night (10% above their average from 3). It seems turnovers were their doom that night. #19 Vandy at home is next. That game came down to the last minute before UK came through in the clutch to put away a pretty bad Vandy squad. They also had a ton of turnovers while shooting worse than their season average but not atrociously (41% and 39%). #22 Ole Miss took you to overtime at home while shooting a blistering 49% from the field and 52% from 3, both well above their season averages. Again, they turned the ball over 18 times and got whistled for 30 fouls and that was the difference. The games against #25 Arkansas were both impressive victories, though Arkansas is about as different an offensive style as you can get from UW and is dream matchup for UK's style of D. In the first matchup when they played at UK you held them well below their shooting averages, while in the SEC Tourney they hit their average from the field (44%) and missed it by 4% from 3 (30% vs 34%).

UW is much better on O than all of those teams and we aren't going to be completely dwarfed in the paint like ND (though we do sacrifice some quickness, but we compensate for that in other ways. I think UW's lack of quickness has been overhyped by some on here). It seems like the few good offenses that UK has faced have had some success when they play smart and don't rely on their athleticism to score. UW isn't going to turn it over or send your guys to the line much, unless they call it like those jokers did against Zona who at one point late in the game scored 16 straight from the line. Quick guards are clearly the biggest issue but UW offers many of the same issues through their spacing and the fact that at all times there are 5 guys on the floor who can fill it up from deep. We aren't going to play to your strengths and just drive right into the teeth of the d and throw up garbage or take a bunch of quick jumpers because we panicked and started forcing it.

In the end it will take a bit of an off game by UK in order for UW to win, but we are very good at getting teams to play a bit off their peak, either through our pace or hot shooting. I think every intangible is heavily in UW's favor and we are playing with house money and know it. We will see if that is enough to tip it in Bucky's direction. Either way it should be a great game, can't wait for Saturday!!

RegentBadger -- I'm not sure who you are pointing to as an example of taking Wisconsin lightly, but I would think it is safe to say that most of us know this is going to be a battle. Frankly, I've said all along that ND and Wisconsin would be the toughest games for us in the tournament. There are many intangibles in your favor, as you pointed out, and we are going to have to play a great game against you on both sides of the floor to walk away with this one. I expect a game decided by 5 points or less either way. I have a lot of respect for you program and like your team and players. Saturday can't get here soon enough!!!

Hey RegentBadger, thanks for reading. I always love to hear an opposing fan's take on my scouting report. I'm glad to know it's not too far off.

Regarding Gasser, I can see what you're saying. He's accepted a different role this season than last. That makes sense. UK's returning players have seen their points, rebounds, and assist totals go down as well. I will say this on Gasser, though. His 3pt shooting percentage has dropped by 5%. That has nothing to do with his role. His free throw percentage has dropped by 4%. So, that may not mean much, but those 2 numbers are part of the reason I mention that his numbers aren't as good. His scoring dropping from about 9 per game to about 7 per game seems to fit my theory as well. It may all be explained away by his new role on the team, but that's where I got the idea that perhaps teams knew better how to play Gasser.

Regarding Kaminsky, those emotions are good and can be very helpful if they are channeled properly. But your Badgers may also be a little too emotionally invested in this rematch and it could negatively affect their performance, especially if things don't go well early. I said above that I think Wisconsin has a slight edge psychologically, and I still believe that, but UK has some motivations of their own here. The Cats came ONE game short of winning it all. Willie Cauley-Stein had to watch from the sideline. So, they want to get there too. Also, I think we all know that an emotion like revenge can only carry you so far. It can also exhaust you if you let it run away with you early in a game. I've seen teams come at UK this year with those kinds of emotions, wanting to take their shot, wanting some revenge for an earlier loss, and they jumped to an early lead and even played with UK for most of the game, but then they hit a wall because of UK's steady play.

Regarding the experience factor, I agree that Wisconsin has an edge. If this UK were filled with only a bunch of freshmen with Wisconsin coming off a Final Four and returning everyone, I'd say that is a significant edge. But it's like the Cats are just a bunch of freshmen. Andrew Harrison is significantly better than this time last season. Aaron Harrison is still making big shots when needed. Dakari Johnson is coming off the bench, and there's a reason for that. Marcus Lee has been through the battles as well and he's coming off the bench. Willie Cauley-Stein is a junior now, not a freshman. And when you look at UK's freshmen, they are anything but typical. They've ALL played significant minutes. And this is something I'm sure you know about Kentucky, but maybe not, the Cats have faced a championship caliber effort from every team on the schedule this season. The Cats have gone wire to wire as the #1 team in the nation. Everyone wants to defeat the best. These freshmen have seen pressure and endured it. But rest assured, the guys with the ball in their hands in crunch time with be the same guys as last season- Andrew Harrison and Aaron Harrison.

Now, you mention Wisconsin's steady play as a significant factor, and you may be right, but you should know that this same description could be said of this Kentucky team. It may be their defining quality. The very thing you've said has happened several times this season. These guys find a way to win, and when stretch time comes and the game is still in doubt, these Kentucky boys have found a way to win every time. I've been watching and have given up on games several times, but they somehow find a way. Notre Dame had a 6pt lead with 6 minutes to go. Kentucky scored on 9 straight possessions to finish the game.

I do not disrespect Wisconsin at all, by the way. I'm not expecting a blow-out or even a 10pt win. I'm expecting a game that comes down to the wire and a single digit margin. Wisconsin certainly could win. They're good enough to pull it off and the best team UK has faced all season. But I also think the opposite is true for Wisconsin. UK is the best team Wisconsin has faced as well. And bear in mind, the Badgers have lost 3 games, so the chances are better for a loss again.

This is the bottom line for me: if both teams play their best, I think Kentucky wins, even if it's by a small margin. Thanks for dropping in and giving your thoughts.

You are right, the emotional edge can swing both ways and could very well have a negative effect on UW. Seeing the way they have responded though when the game has been on the line late I feel pretty confident that they will channel it positively, but that is admittedly just a gut feeling. As you said though that is also true for Kentucky. They have answered the call every time this year, something the Badgers have not done.

Originally posted by *Bleedingblue*:
The big X factor to me is not really Wisconsin, yes they are really good and easily capable of knocking us off but ...but if we come out on a mission like we did against Ark, WV etc their isn't any team going to stay with us.
If we are timid playing and play with the jitters like what we did with ND it is going to be anybodies game just like it was with our last opponent. The FF does strange things to people and it makes you shoot terribly and do odd things that you normally don't see them doing.
Hopefully we will not have the jitters and are capable of knocking down some shots. More typically than not usually huge are as are not good for outside shooters as we saw in our losses in '11 and last season. But last season I think it was jitters more than anything like the '09 team who started off 0-21 from 3.
^^^^This is how I've felt all along...

I agree with the original post that we should pound it down low to KAT (or Dakari, etc.) early. We'll find out quickly whether they will guard our post players 1-on-1 or double. If they play straight up, we score or get fouled, and foul trouble will hurt them far more than us. If they double KAT, he's developed into a really good passer out of the post, and we could end up with open 3's that our guards have to knock down.

My feeling is that we don't have to shut down EVERYONE defensively, we just can't allow 2-3 players go for career nights against us. Let Kaminsky OR Dekker get their 22+ points, just don't let them both do it. And keep everyone else to their average or lower, and we're looking good.

Easy to try and figure out on paper, game has to be played, but I like Cats by 7.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT