Southern IL
Scouting Bellarmine
Founded: 1950
Enrollment: 2,971
Nickname: Knights
Colors: Scarlet and Silver
Home Arena: Freedom Hall
Conference: Atlantic Sun

Head Coach: Scott Davenport (Louisville ’78) (18th season: 397-138)
3 years in D1: 39-26

2022-23 Schedule (Record 2-5)
11/09/22 at Louisville W 67-66
11/12/22 at Morehead St. L 55-62
11/14/22 CAMP. HARRODSBURG W 86-46
11/18/22 at Clemson L 66-76
11/21/22 at Duke L 57-74
11/25/22 at LMU (CA) L 59-80
11/27/22 at UCLA L 60-81

Game Info: Bellarmine at Kentucky, 7 pm EST
TV/Radio: SEC Network+ (Tom Hart and Jon Sundvold)
UK Sports Network Radio (Tom Leach and Jack “Goose” Givens)
Tonight’s game is only on digital platforms on the ESPN app.
This is the last of our “digital only” games this season.

Probable Starters
#05 Peter Suder 6-5 210 Fr 11pts, 3.9reb, 2.3ast, 23.8% from 3
#10 Garrett Tipton 6-4 200 Rs Sr 9.7pts, 2.0reb, 1ast, 35.3% from 3
#42 Curt Hopf 6-8 200 So 9.4pts, 2.9reb, 42.9% from 3
#22 Bash Wieland 6-6 205 Sr 9.3pts, 3.3reb, 1.7ast, 20% from 3
#02 Alec Pfriem 6-5 205 Sr 5.1pts, 3.1reb, 1.9ast, 28.6% from 3

Key Reserves
#33 Ben Johnson 6-3 185 Rs Fr 8.0pts, 2.4reb, 1ast, 40.7% from 3
#01 Juston Betz 6-3 185 Grad 6.8pts, 5.3reb, 3.1ast, 35.3% from 3
#12 Langdon Hatton 6-10 240 So 2.7pts, 2.0reb,
#14 Sam DeVault 6-10 220 Sr 1.8pts, 0.8reb

Team Stats
Points Per Game 64.3
Points allowed 69.3
Scoring Margin -5.0
Field Goal Pct .441
FG% allowed .434
3PT FG Pct .331
3FG% allowed .360
FT Pct .735
Rebounds Per Game 29.0
Rebounds allowed 31.3
Rebounds Margin -2.3
Assists Per Game 13.4
Assists allowed 15.6
Turnovers Per Game 11.7
Turnovers forced 11.1
Turnovers Margin -0.6
Assist/Turnover Ratio 1.1
Steals Per Game 4.3
Steals allowed 6.1
Blocks Per Game 1.1
Blocks allowed 2.6

KenPom Stats
Best Numbers
Free throw % 77.8% (#28 nationally)
Non-steal TOs- 9% (#142 nationally)
Overall Offensive efficiency: #156 nationally
Worst Numbers
Defensive Block%- 4.3% (#344 nationally)
Defensive Steal%- 5.8% (#346 nationally)
Effective FG% D- 54.8% (#308 nationally)
Overall Defensive Efficiency- #306 nationally

Analysis: Scott Davenport brings his Bellarmine Knights to Rupp Arena Tuesday night to close out a brutal stretch of road games that has included trips to Clemson, Duke, Loyola Marymount, and UCLA, all losses. Their record is a bit deceiving because of the difficulty of the schedule. This team has actually been IN every game they’ve played into the 2nd half, so don’t be fooled by the terrible record. These guys play the game well and will challenge any defense with their offensive execution and discipline. That is their M.O. to this point in the season and what the UK coaches have talked about leading up to this game. These guys pulled off a historic upset of Louisville back in game one on Nov.9 (another road game, just across town) by a score of 67-66, which was their first win over Louisville in 13 tries. You can bet your bottom dollar these guys will be seeking to upset UK as well.

There are a couple big problems for Bellarmine in this game that could cost them the chance at the upset. The biggest issue is that the injury bug has bit the Knights. Their starting point guard, Juston Betz, missed their game against UCLA with a shoulder injury of some kind, along with reserves Nick Thelen and Zac Jennings. Thelen and Jennings aren’t as crucial as Betz, who is a starter and leads the team in assists and rebounds. The other issue is their defense. As good as their offense has been this season, their defense has struggled. Of course, playing all true road games will hurt any statistical analysis, but they rank below 300 in 6 different statistical categories in KenPom’s analysis, which makes their defensive efficiency rating #306 nationally.

Offensively, the Knights do not run a traditional post offense. They don’t really have a back-to-the-basket center. They play 5 out and run multiple screens, screen and rolls, and back-cuts with multiple cutters, very much like the Princeton Style run by Pete Carril years ago. They move the ball without dribbling very much at all- the ball is moved with passes intended to cause a breakdown in the defense and create an easy shot. When it works well, it is a thing of beauty. If a team breaks down defensively, athletic superiority means very little. That is the beauty of the style. It allows teams with inferior athletes and superior discipline to compete against blue-chippers. That’s what Bellarmine hopes we will see tonight. The goal of their offense is to get a wide-open lay-up, a wide-open three, or an easy jumper. Bellarmine definitely prefers shots inside the arc instead of outside since they are not a very good 3pt shooting team. They were forced to shoot too many threes against UCLA (32) and they struggled with offensive efficiency in the game.

Their top 4 scorers have started all 7 games- Peter Suder a 6-5 210lb Freshman averaging 11 points, and 3.9 rebounds, and 2.3 assists, Garrett Tipton a 6-4 200lb redshirt Senior averages 9.7 points, 2.0 rebounds and shoots 35.3% from 3, Curt Hopf a 6-8 200lb Sophomore averaging 9.4 points, 2.9 rebounds and shooting 42.9% from 3, and Bash Wieland a 6-6 205lb Senior averaging 9.3 points, 3.3 rebounds, and 1.7ast. The 5th starter was Juston Betz for the first 6 games, but he was replaced in the UCLA game by Alec Pfriem a 6-5 205lb Senior averaging 5.1 points, 3.1 rebounds, and 1.9 assists.

I fully expect Bellarmine to give 100% effort in tonight’s game against UK. They would love nothing more than to knock off both of the in-state blue bloods in the same season. Having said this, I wouldn’t be surprised if Bellarmine hits a wall at some point in the game. They just played UCLA on Sunday on the west coast, caught a red-eye flight, and had one afternoon to practice before coming to Rupp tonight. With 5 consecutive and 6 of their first 7 games on the road, plus injuries to key players along the way, they are probably ready to take a rest. Meanwhile, UK just saw themselves drop in the rankings even though they won a game last week, and everyone around the program is likely feeling the need to prove themselves. I expect a fully focused UK team tonight. Even so, I would not be surprised to see Bellarmine stick around in this game for a while, perhaps even until the half, but they have no answer (or shot blocker) for Oscar. Their style may cause UK some problems defensively. KenPom predicts UK 81-Bellarmine 60. Oddsmakers set the line at UK-25.5 with the over/under set at 139.5.
My prediction: Kentucky 84 Bellarmine 64

With a kid and several HS buddies graduating from Bellarmine, I have mixed feelings going into the game. Family, friends, and the beauty/novelty of their style. I hope it's a great game.

They just played UCLA on Sunday on the west coast, caught a red-eye flight, and had one afternoon to practice before coming to Rupp tonight. With 5 consecutive and 6 of their first 7 games on the road, plus injuries to key players along the way, they are probably ready to take a rest.
It's a big line but I think UK covers playing this road-weary team.

Don't care for the fact that Cal is deferring to how they want to play immediately. Continues the trend of allowing the opponent to dictate the terms of the game. Poor strategy. Go in with a plan to set the tone and that you are Kentucky--those days are far in past unfortunately. Never predetermine how a game is going to be played. You will know the scout how they want to play, but if you predetermine minutes, rotation, how the game will go, you often are caught creating anxiety and thoughts for your players.

For instance the "I told Ugonna some games you won't/will play more". He's a talented guy who can rebound/block shots and finish near rim. He needs to play for this team to be it's best in March.

But you have to win this game. No excuses. Then you have to win Sunday. At some point winning games aka END RESULT is far more important in sports then the "process".

It's a big line but I think UK covers playing this road-weary team.
Maybe so, though Bellarmine has covered in 6 of 7 according to an article I was reading. Still, you may be right, with the timing of the game. They weren't even supposed to land in Louisville until 10am yesterday, then had an afternoon practice, plus injuries. UK feeling disrespected. It's probably not a bad bet. They barely covered at UCLA- they were a 21.5 point underdog and lost by 21.

Reactions: Smashcat
Would love to see Davenport run his system with actual D1 athletes and incorporate a UNC/Roy Williams primary/secondary break when transitioning to the offensive side of the ball. If the break gets stopped then go into his offense.

Most defenses today and players today have never had to defend it and focus on constant motion for a full 30 seconds of defense so there are breakdowns everywhere.

Would love to see Davenport run his system with actual D1 athletes and incorporate a UNC/Roy Williams primary/secondary break when transitioning to the offensive side of the ball. If the break gets stopped then go into his offense.

Most defenses today and players today have never had to defend it and focus on constant motion for a full 30 seconds of defense so there are breakdowns everywhere.
Yeah, it would be interesting to see for sure. I'm sure it would work but with the modern game becoming more about 3pt shooting, it probably wouldn't be a popular move.

Reactions: EliteBlue
I'm not looking for a blowout win. A win....yes. but close enough to make me nervous.
That's what I said already earlier. Scotty gonna throw something different at us and try to exploit Cal in some way in this game. I feel this is a bigger game for him this year being that they beat UK as well. I like Scotty Davenport style and he is a coaching fool who knows how to go back N forth and not fold. just a bit corny but it fine

Reactions: IL Wildcat
Yeah, it would be interesting to see for sure. I'm sure it would work but with the modern game becoming more about 3pt shooting, it probably wouldn't be a popular move.
In a weird way tho it is very predicated around the modern “analytical basketball” of layups or 3s. Constantly working and running your defenders around looking for the back door layup or the screen and flare or kick out 3. Not a lot of mid range

Reactions: IL Wildcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT